Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You grade the Colts 2019 NFL Draft

Yoshinator

what would you grade the colts 2019 draft?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What would you grade the 2019 Colts Draft?

I thought Day 2 was amazing and the trade downs were solid. Almost best case scenario there. Day 3 seemed a bit underwhelming name-wise, but like day 2, the character and athleticism are off the charts. I have to give Ballard an A for beating the CB and WR runs, acquiring extra picks, and sticking to his theme and vision.

Make sure to vote and comment!

• Like 2

I give it a solid B.  The best day by far was Day 2.  I love what Ballard did in the 2nd round.  I would have given it an A if Ballard addressed DT.  But he totally ignored what I felt was one of our biggest needs.  Do we have anyone on roster who can pressure the pocket up the middle?  That’s the recipe for taking down Tom Brady.  Hopefully he has a plan to bring in some free agent talent there.  

• Like 5

My grade is meaningless, but I would say C+. 

I think this class is full of potential, but I do not see many immediate impact players. Rock Ya-Sin and Parris Campbell will see a lot of action, but everyone else will be rotational or special teams. 

• Like 8

I like our draft, especially the Ya-Sin and Campbell picks.  Ballard also did what he always does - throw in lesser known players from smaller schools that cause me to scratch my head until they become game breakers when the season starts.  I still need to downgrade the draft due to not being able to get any blue chip talent in the first round.  Solid B.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTC said:

I think this class is full of potential, but I do not see many immediate impact players. Rock Ya-Sin and Parris Campbell will see a lot of action, but everyone else will be rotational or special teams. 

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

C+, maybe a B. 

I'm pretty much in the same place as MTC

6 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

Could have had both...

Yeah he should have drafted Bo Callahan.

haha

• Like 1

Favorite pick was the Parris Campbell pick by far. Some other picks are more uncertain for me though since I don't know much about Ben Banogu, Bobby Okereke, Khari Willis, Marvell Tell, and EJ Speed.

Some of those players Ballard may have been able to get later than where they went.  

I like this draft. The thing that sticks out to me, and I read this from another poster also, we did not take a single dt. Not only that we traded Ridgeway. So that leaves Hunt, Autry, Ward, Stewart, and a couple others. Rock, Campbell, Okereke, Willis will be major contributors as rookies. Banogu, Green, and Speed will get on the field some. Tell and the 2 o-linemen maybe are developemental practice squad types. A

Tough to tell until they suit up, but I guess I'd say a solid  B.  Addressed many needs, got more athletic certainly, but difficult to tell how many of these guys will make an immediate impact.  I could see Ya-Sin, Banogu, and Campbell contributing right away, but outside of those three who knows?  FWIW, I thought they had a C- at this time last year.  Loved Nelson and Smith, but I wasn't high on Leonard or the rest.

I will say this, Ballard and his staff know MUCH MUCH MUCH more than I do.

How about we wait until Ballard fills the rest of the spots in FA?    Then I guess you are grading the team as a whole.    We got better just by addition, but we could be much better once the FA thing is finished. Now that Ballard knows what he has as a draft class, the FA side might open up.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Favorite pick was the Parris Campbell pick by far. Some other picks are more uncertain for me though since I don't know much about Ben Banogu, Bobby Okereke, Khari Willis, Marvell Tell, and EJ Speed.

Some of those players Ballard may have been able to get later than where they went.  

Just because these players were not in the media's eyes does not mean there are worse than the players you have heard of.

• Thanks 1

A. I'm inclined to see this as a potentially awesome draft class. The organization has the coaching staff set and scouting staff dialed in. They prepared, then selected with purpose, vision and clarity.

Seriously, on what basis would I grade it any less. Who's grading system is better than the Colts current one?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MTC said:

I concur and very much agree 

with the Bolded. I think Paris, our only playmaker addition could really come in handy if TY gets injured.

I voted 'C' because 'B-' wasn't a option. Not disappointed because I wasn't expecting but not adding a good RB/TE I think was a mistake. New England picked up Damian Harris just before our pick. I think it would have been great to move up to get him. The perfect inside banger/workhorse to compliment Mack.

5 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Screw the grades! let's play some football!

We are not quite ready yet. Ballard still has some more work to do. Time to plug up the remaining after draft holes. We know that Ballard is always looking to add talent throughout the offseason.  When he adds a DT that can actually push the pocket and another running back to compliment our stable then we will be ready.   

• Like 1

B-

I sure hope Tyquan Lewis is the real deal as a DT disrupter because although Autry and Hunt had numbers, the eye test to me says we don't get consistent push up the middle and that wasn't addressed in the draft. 

I feel like it's a bit negative but I have to say C+

I liked the Ya-Sin and Campbell picks, those two should fit. I also liked the character and athletic profile we focused on once again. 

Outside of those two picks though it's hard to be definite about anybody. There seems to be a lot of projects and projections with players either bring asked to move roles or relying on pretty significant upside being discovered. Outside of the two "big" picks I wouldn't be surprised if any of the other new guys ended up on the practice squad for the year.

I did like that we focused on the defensive side of the ball though. I think we can throw out any pure BPA arguments going forward. Ballard definitely had preconceived ideas about which spots he wanted to improve.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

It’s way too early for me to grade this draft.

Last year it was easy for me to say Ballard hit it out of the park. Nelson and Leonard were primo players and perfect fits for what we do. 

Let’s be honest, this year we did not have the third overall pick in the draft, and it’s a completely different situation. I think we might have hit on some second tier talent. Although I think Rock and Parris are both possible tier 1 candidates. Time will tell. 

Not everyone is going to be an All Pro rookie. 

I think Rock and Parris both have a chance to start on Day 1.

Rock is the press man corner we have been looking for. With him in the lineup, we’ll run more cover 1 and cover 3. I believe that is our long-term vision of this defense. 

If Parris starts opposite of TY then he will see some single coverage, and he could have a phenomenal year. 

I think we’ll experiment a lot with Ben, Bobby, EJ, and Gerri until we find out exactly where they fit best. 

We got some depth and competition in the secondary and along the offensive line. 

I think it’s important for fans to understand that we are no longer a team with glaring needs. Our entire approach to the draft has changed. We will be picking much later, and we will be developing draft picks for the future.

There will be years when we don’t start a single rookie. But that will not mean we had a bad draft. It will just mean that we are no longer desperate. That’s when we will know we are doing it right. 

Exactly, way too early to judge this years or any draft after not even a day. But I give last years draft which is what we should grading now not this year draft an A there's my grade. 

4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

But Ballard wasn’t willing to risk losing those players that he might’ve gotten a round later.    He wanted those guys.

However, he WAS willing to lose Hollywood Brown.   He could’ve traded to get in front of teams.   But he was only willing to take him (if the speculation by some is correct?) if Brown reached our pick 26.   Otherwise he valued his lesser picks.  

9 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I would have given it an A if Ballard addressed DT.  But he totally ignored what I felt was one of our biggest needs.  Do we have anyone on roster who can pressure the pocket up the middle?  

Um, Autry and Hunt combined for 14 sacks last year,... Yeah both played DE also, but sparingly. Most of their sacks came up the middle

• Thanks 1

As with pretty much all drafts, 24 hours later the grade needs to be incomplete....for all teams.

Some no names will be stars and some 1st round guys will be busts.

Campbell should contribute from game one....the rest, it's really hard to say.

• Like 1

I’m giving it a solid C+

Campbell was the best pick by far, but after that there’s a lot of question marks. Ya-Sin is a great player, but has never really played zone, so there will be an adjustment there. Then you have Banogu who he says will play SAM, and it looks like he doesn’t have a clearly defined position fit. Okereke was a good fit. 4th round you trade up for Khari Willis who won’t start immediately. Next round you draft another safety who they’re going to try at corner first. Speed looks like a STs game. And our last 3 picks are probably practice squad guys. I’m also not sure how you trade a DT away but don’t draft one.

I’m not disappointed with the draft, it’s just that there are a lot of guys with questionable fits. He basically drafted 4  LBs after saying he liked the group we had. One of which he says will play SAM, which doesn’t seem to be a position we use a lot. 

Time will tell though.

2 hours ago, J@son said:

Um, Autry and Hunt combined for 14 sacks last year,... Yeah both played DE also, but sparingly. Most of their sacks came up the middle

I don’t think they are guys that defensive coordinators stay up at night worrying about. They move around the line a lot and get scheme & finesse sacks.  They are also small for that position.  We can still use them in the rotation but I prefer adding a bigger more physical DT who can collapse the middle of the pocket.