Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard pre-draft presser

Superman

1 minute ago, Superman said:

He just said they're probably going to trade back. It was kind of tongue-in-cheek, but not really...

Even doubled down on it with next question.

Sounds like Ogletree will be back as well.

Solid press conference.

If we trade back, I won't be happy at all. We need an impact playmaker at WR. Pittman is a good #1 (not great), he is a good possession WR which is needed. Having said that, we need someone that can blow the doors off of teams that they fear like a Marvin, Nabors, or Rome. In today's league you have to score a lot of points to win - keep up with teams like the Chiefs, Ravens, and Cincy with Burrow. 

We need to trade up, JMO.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we trade back, I won't be happy at all. We need an impact playmaker at WR. Pittman is a good #1 (not great), he is a good possession WR which is needed. Having said that, we need someone that can blow the doors off of teams that they fear like a Marvin, Nabors, or Rome. In today's league you have to score a lot of points to win - keep up with teams like the Chiefs, Ravens, and Cincy with Burrow. 

We need to trade up, JMO.

Get ready to not be happy, amigo. You have six days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Anyone have link to whole pressure, I came in on the 19-21 players on the board.

Not sure what I missed before that.

I thought he said he though WRs were 19-21 deep. What happens when you turn on mid answer 

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Get ready to not be happy, amigo. You have six days

Yeah, if you got 4-5 guys you like at 15, trade back 

Looks like he may not want to go below 19-21 though.

• Like 1

Just now, w87r said:

Anyone have link to whole pressure, I came in on the 19-21 players on the board.

I thought he said he though WRs were 19-21 deep. What happens when you turn on mid answer 

I think you have to wait for it to go up on Youtube later. I got distracted on some parts as well.

• Like 1

Just now, w87r said:

Yeah, if you got 4-5 guys you like at 15, trade back 

Looks like he may not want to go below 19-21 though.

I wonder what he'd do if the offers at #15 suck, though. 

I know everything this time of year is coachspeak and smokescreens, but I've never been more convinced about what the Colts were doing before a draft than I am now. We knew they would draft Luck and Nelson, and this seems like one of those times where we can bank on them trading back at #15. It already felt that way, and Ballard flat out said it today (even if maybe he was teasing, he's done that before, and wound up trading back just like he said he would). 

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

I wonder what he'd do if the offers at #15 suck, though. 

I know everything this time of year is coachspeak and smokescreens, but I've never been more convinced about what the Colts were doing before a draft than I am now. We knew they would draft Luck and Nelson, and this seems like one of those times where we can bank on them trading back at #15. It already felt that way, and Ballard flat out said it today (even if maybe he was teasing, he's done that before, and wound up trading back just like he said he would). 

Let me say this first so you won't poke fun at my post, I know this would never happen, but I would trade up to 4 and draft Marvin. Even if it took this years 15th, next years 1st, and giving up Pierce. Ballard never gambles to get the very best and that is why many in here are bothered by him. I like Ballard's approach for the most part. I loved bringing everyone back because we have good players, and it is good for chemistry. Now and then to get better, you need to gamble a little and trust your instincts though. As of now I look at our team as a 9 win team without another playmaker on offense. 9 wins is good, makes for a fun season, but it doesn't get you anywhere when you have KC, Baltimore, Cincy winning 12. Houston probably winning 11.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Let me say this first so you won't poke fun at my post, I know this would never happen, but I would trade up to 4 and draft Marvin. Even if it took this years 15th, next years 1st, and giving up Pierce. Ballard never gambles to get the very best and that is why many in here are bothered by him. I like Ballard's approach for the most part. I loved bringing everyone back because we have good players, and it is good for chemistry. Now and then to get better, you need to gamble a little and trust your instincts though. As of now I look at our team as a 9 win team without another playmaker on offense. 9 wins is good, makes for a fun season, but it doesn't get you anywhere when you have KC, Baltimore, Cincy winning 12. Houston probably winning 11.

I think people just want something exciting from the offseason. There's nothing wrong with that. I get being frustrated by Ballard's approach. My big point is that I think people talk themselves into the idea that 'this is finally the year when Ballard will make a big move,' and then when it doesn't happen, they come crashing down to earth and they're even more frustrated and upset. The Sneed thing is a perfect example. 

I never say never, because I don't know. But Ballard trading up in the first round probably isn't happening.

Houston has had a good offseason. I'm holding off on putting them in the top tier in the AFC. I want to see it first.

Ballard uses the trade backs as his way of filling out the depth if you don't see him add many people in FA then you can almost bank on a trade back or two to fill roster holes

So only 19-21 players with 1st rd grades and he’s willing to trade up for the right player if he’s in striking distance.  So how many of those 21 players would be available at 15 If he’s trying to strengthen the team with a difference making player in a position of need.  The key being 1st rd grade in a position of need.  I don’t see him going inside the top 5 but I think he’s going to do it somewhere starting with pick 9.  I think he would consider Bowers, Nabors , Odunze, and Turner as candidates for being the right player.  I think he will move up for one of those players starting at pick 9 depending on how the draft falls.  19-21 is a small number and a number of those positions are not a position of need.  Can’t see him waiting. I think he likes our secondary too. I think he told us he’s prepared to move up to try for a playmaker if he falls within striking distance.  I think he’s going to do it.

• Like 2

Here's what I think. 

He told us what he's going to do, or at least expecting to do.

He said:

• "We're gonna trade back (three times)" 
  • He loves the OL in the class. (yes, he said you could get one in round three, BUT I expect one higher)

Asked about weapons for a young QB:

He said, 

• "protect them. block; keep them safe."
  • Look at all the teams in the playoffs, they can protect.
  • "Andrew used to tell me, "just block for me; I'll do the rest"
  • "Do they want a superstar receiver? YES, but block for me; keep em blocked."

Oh yeah, and there's a corollary to that. There are two ways to beat a great QB (offense); one is pass defend, but the other is sacking and disrupting.

So, I'm guessing we trade back in the first for more picks; we are just as likely to pick an early round OL, DL as we are a CB or WR.

and with that, I hope we end up with Brock Bowers :)

In 2011 Falcons selected WR Julio Jones with 6th overall pick from Cleveland Browns, giving up a package of 5 draft picks … Atlanta's No. 27 overall 2011 1st round pick, their 2012 1st round pick, 2011 2nd & 4th round picks, & a 2012 4th round pick. Ergo, there’s precedence.

I remember at the time thinking Atlanta was crazy to give that much up.  I also remember thinking a couple of years later, Falcons have a star receiver, one of the best in the game, so did giving up so much really matter?

I also remember the hype surrounding Julio Jones at his time of being drafted, and he was NOT touted as being as sure fire as Marvin Harrison Junior currently is.  Also note, if the Colts trade up, the team dropping down is not dropping down as far as Cleveland did back in 2011 (6 to 27) as compared to, say, 4 to 15, so it might not cost quite as much as Atlanta gave up.

i am inclined to say pull the move up trigger.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, w87r said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I never say never, because I don't know. But Ballard trading up in the first round probably isn't happening.

Yeah, one thing we have to keep in mind is that they honestly still don’t know whether Richardson will be the franchise QB we all hope he will be. If he doesn’t pan out, the organization needs the ammunition to move for a new QB so I think that is why Ballard is not trigger happy in the draft to move substantially up or spend big in FA by using draft capital.

If we had Stroud, things might be different. Texans are safe to spend big as they did.

Just something to ponder about.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think people just want something exciting from the offseason. There's nothing wrong with that. I get being frustrated by Ballard's approach. My big point is that I think people talk themselves into the idea that 'this is finally the year when Ballard will make a big move,' and then when it doesn't happen, they come crashing down to earth and they're even more frustrated and upset. The Sneed thing is a perfect example. 

Houston has had a good offseason. I'm holding off on putting them in the top tier in the AFC. I want to see it first.

Not only that rumor has it that the Cards want to trade that pick is why I posted what I posted. We just never take any huge chances. What is Ballard afraid of? He already gets bashed by half the fanbase anyway. AR needs all the help he can get is how I look at things. If AR has a good season, then yes, we could win 11 games with a better playmaker on offense. 

22 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

In 2011 Falcons selected WR Julio Jones with 6th overall pick from Cleveland Browns, giving up a package of 5 draft picks … Atlanta's No. 27 overall 2011 1st round pick, their 2012 1st round pick, 2011 2nd & 4th round picks, & a 2012 4th round pick. Ergo, there’s precedence.

I remember at the time thinking Atlanta was crazy to give that much up.  I also remember thinking a couple of years later, Falcons have a star receiver, one of the best in the game, so did giving up so much really matter?

I also remember the hype surrounding Julio Jones at his time of being drafted, and he was NOT touted as being as sure fire as Marvin Harrison Junior currently is.  Also note, if the Colts trade up, the team dropping down is not dropping down as far as Cleveland did back in 2011 (6 to 27) as compared to, say, 4 to 15, so it might not cost quite as much as Atlanta gave up.

i am inclined to say pull the move up trigger.

It got the Falcons to a SB, yes Matt Ryan was great basically from 2008-2017 but without Jones in 2016, not even Matty Ice gets them to a SB. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not only that rumor has it that the Cards want to trade that pick is why I posted what I posted. We just never take any huge chances. What is Ballard afraid of? He already gets bashed by half the fanbase anyway. AR needs all the help he can get is how I look at things. If AR has a good season, then yes, we could win 11 games with a better playmaker on offense. 

What makes you think Ballard is afraid of anything?   

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

So only 19-21 players with 1st rd grades and he’s willing to trade up for the right player if he’s in striking distance.  So how many of those 21 players would be available at 15 If he’s trying to strengthen the team with a difference making player in a position of need.  The key being 1st rd grade in a position of need.  I don’t see him going inside the top 5 but I think he’s going to do it somewhere starting with pick 9.  I think he would consider Bowers, Nabors , Odunze, and Turner as candidates for being the right player.  I think he will move up for one of those players starting at pick 9 depending on how the draft falls.  19-21 is a small number and a number of those positions are not a position of need.  Can’t see him waiting. I think he likes our secondary too. I think he told us he’s prepared to move up to try for a playmaker if he falls within striking distance.  I think he’s going to do it.

FWIW:  That number…. 19-21 players with first round grades is among the largest numbers Ballard has ever made public.  Some years he has tossed around numbers like 12 and 14.  

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

What makes you think Ballard is afraid of anything?   

When has he ever traded up to get a great player coming out to move into the top 5? IMO he takes the conservative approach which I am ok with, but he never takes huge chances. Don't give me, he traded up for Taylor either, it was like 3 spots in Round 2? 

Hell, several people in here still bash the guy for not trading up to try and get Herbert in 2020. I defended Ballard there because we got Buckner and signed Rivers. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When has he ever traded up to get a great player coming out to move into the top 5? IMO he takes the conservative approach which I am ok with, but he never takes huge chances. Don't give me, he traded up for Taylor either, it was like 3 spots in Round 2? 

Hell, several people in here still bash the guy for not trading up to try and get Herbert in 2020. I defended Ballard there because we got Buckner and signed Rivers. 

He hasn’t traded that far up because it would be way, Way , WAY too expensive.

With where the Colts have been picking, it would cost a fortune.  And the player still might not work out. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

He hasn’t traded that far up because it would be way, Way , WAY too expensive.

With where the Colts have been picking, it would cost a fortune.  And the player still might not work out. 

If a player like Marvin doesn't work out, I will buy you a steak dinner at St Elmo, that is how sure I am that Marvin will be great. Same for Nabors. 

• Like 1