Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard pre-draft presser

Superman

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think there is a pretty good chance that (5) QBs go before #15. (4) is 100%, imo.

Would be crazy if (6) went in top 13. There is quite a few teams on the prowl though, so you never know.

Funny you brought this up.  I just listened to an interview Ballard did today with Rich Eisen.  He asked him if he has given any thought on how many quarterbacks will be taken before our pick and how many does he think.  He said sure we go through those evaluations.  It helps us with for planning purposes.  He asked him how many.  4 or 5 or 6?   He laughed out loud at 6.  He said Rich if it’s 6 we will be so excited.  Let’s hope so.  He also said the draft board is not yet set.  Won’t be until the night before the draft.  He also said he has had multiple conversations with other GM’s concerning the draft.  Preparing themselves for opportunities that could take place.  And they will continue up until the draft starts.  He said trade conversations won’t really materialize until you are within three picks of any trade.  Giving you time to finalize it.  Interesting interview.  Oh he pretty much ruled out moving up for Harrison.   Going up into the top of the draft would be very costly for him he said.  Thinks he’s a great talent but he thinks he’s pretty much out of our reach.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Funny you brought this up.  I just listened to an interview Ballard did today with Rich Eisen.  He asked him if he has given any thought on how many quarterbacks will be taken before our pick and how many does he think.  He said sure we go through those evaluations.  It helps us with for planning purposes.  He asked him how many.  4 or 5 or 6?   He laughed out loud at 6.  He said Rich if it’s 6 we will be so excited.  Let’s hope so.  He also said the draft board is not yet set.  Won’t be until the night before the draft.  He also said he has had multiple conversations with other GM’s concerning the draft.  Preparing themselves for opportunities that could take place.  And they will continue up until the draft starts.  He said trade conversations won’t really materialize until you are within three picks of any trade.  Giving you time to finalize it.  Interesting interview.  Oh he pretty much ruled out moving up for Harrison.   Going up into the top of the draft would be very costly for him he said.  Thinks he’s a great talent but he thinks he’s pretty much out of our reach.

I literally just posted that clip, it's where the conversation about QBs started.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Superman said:

I wonder what he'd do if the offers at #15 suck, though. 

I know everything this time of year is coachspeak and smokescreens, but I've never been more convinced about what the Colts were doing before a draft than I am now. We knew they would draft Luck and Nelson, and this seems like one of those times where we can bank on them trading back at #15. It already felt that way, and Ballard flat out said it today (even if maybe he was teasing, he's done that before, and wound up trading back just like he said he would). 

Yes. I feel like we’ve agreed on this for at least a month now. It all makes too much sense for us to trade back (note: I’m not saying I agree, I’d rather hold and pick at 15). 

Really feels like the Colts view this draft as having about 5-8 truly elite players and then it drops off. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good for you.  But maybe a team doesn’t want to trade down to 15.  

Look at the 2020 draft.   

1.   Lawrence 

2.   Wilson

3.   Lance

11.  Fields after a trade up

15.  Jones

I may be missing one.  But only Lawrence has worked out and many here are underwhelmed with him.  The rest have not worked out.   There are plenty of examples about trading up to get a guy near the top and it doesn’t work out. 

I wouldn't say Lawrence has worked out at all. He has really underwhelmed for a supposed can't miss prospect. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I wouldn't say Lawrence has worked out at all. He has really underwhelmed for a supposed can't miss prospect. 

Year one, bad head coach and staff.   

Year two, new coach and staff make the playoffs.   

Year three, the Jags were doing fine then finished badly.  Lawrence was playing with a high ankle sprain.  When he’s healthy, Lawrence is really good.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Year one, bad head coach and staff.   

Year two, new coach and staff make the playoffs.   

Year three, the Jags were doing fine then finished badly.  Lawrence was playing with a high ankle sprain.  When he’s healthy, Lawrence is really good.  

Trevor Lawrence has averaged 6.7 passing yards per attempt in his career. Jags have surrounded him with weapons and he has been good but  not near the guy they thought he would be.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Trevor Lawrence has averaged 6.7 passing yards per attempt in his career. Jags have surrounded him with weapons and he has been good but  not near the guy they thought he would be.

Looks like a chunk of your post dropped out.   Has averaged (WHAT?) in his career.  

Lawrence is on the verge of signing a big extension.   This is right up there with your non-stop Cooper Kupp is a product of the system remark.  Except that the Rams made him a top-10 paid WR.   If he was a system guy they wouldn’t have given him such a big contract.  

You paint yourself into corners with some of your arguments. 

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we trade back, I won't be happy at all. We need an impact playmaker at WR. Pittman is a good #1 (not great), he is a good possession WR which is needed. Having said that, we need someone that can blow the doors off of teams that they fear like a Marvin, Nabors, or Rome. In today's league you have to score a lot of points to win - keep up with teams like the Chiefs, Ravens, and Cincy with Burrow. 

We need to trade up, JMO.

This draft is loaded with offensive talent as Ballard noted. The move up to try to secure a MHJ , Nabers or Rome will be STEEP. People are forgetting how good a Adonai , Brian Thomas, Troy Franklin or Legette could be. This team will always be a run first team not a pass centered team so the need for a DYNAMIC Wr isn’t really as pressing as people make it seem. You can still get quality players if you trade back and acquire more picks for MORE quality players. Just look at the 2020 draft class Justin Jefferson didn’t come off the board until pick 22. 
Ceedee went 17. Juedy went 15 , Aiyuk 25 and Higgins 33. So I disagree I don’t think we NEED to trade up and I surely hope they don’t.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

This draft is loaded with offensive talent as Ballard noted. The move up to try to secure a MHJ , Nabers or Rome will be STEEP. People are forgetting how good a Adonai , Brian Thomas, Troy Franklin or Legette could be. This team will always be a run first team not a pass centered team so the need for a DYNAMIC Wr isn’t really as pressing as people make it seem. You can still get quality players if you trade back and acquire more picks for MORE quality players. Just look at the 2020 draft class Justin Jefferson didn’t come off the board until pick 22. 
Ceedee went 17. Juedy went 15 , Aiyuk 25 and Higgins 33. So I disagree I don’t think we NEED to trade up and I surely hope they don’t.

Two relevant points.

Regarding the team ALWAYS going to be run first team, RB shelf life is short and JT has already played a lot of years compared to average peak time for RBs, so there aren't many years in him into the future unless he goes on like Adrian Peterson. This team was run first because QBs weren't good, was it run first with Andrew Luck? I don't think this team is going to be run-first offense ALWAYS, especially after drafting AR, while expecting him to grow to be a franchise QB-level passer.

Yes, it's all true that Jefferson got drafted at 22,Ceedee went 17, Juedy went 15 , Aiyuk 25 and Higgins 33 but GM has gotta pick the right guy at right time and other teams shouldn't get to the right guy before Colts do.

For every Jefferson at #22 example, there's a Jalen Reagor at #21. The toughest part in picking Jefferson at #22 is not picking a bust like Reagor and missing out on Jefferson. As you go away from the top of the Draft, hitting on busts is more likely than exactly drafting the perfect right guy. Drafting isn't that easy, without the help of hindsight. 

Right now, We can't name which of the WRs in upcoming draft will be a good value, good return pick, even though this draft class is super, super deep on WRs. Of course, 4 years later in 2028, everyone can point out Jefferson or Higgins or Lamb or Aiyuk of 2024 WR Draft Class. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There is, but there are not many WR's that have came out like Marvin. He is a generational type WR. I also think Nabors will very good at worse. JMO, maybe I am wrong?

I think odunze, Harrison,  and nabors are all better than pittman that's for sure and there there are several  wrs better than pierce as well as well as many corners that are better  than what we have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Looks like a chunk of your post dropped out.   Has averaged (WHAT?) in his career.  

Lawrence is on the verge of signing a big extension.   This is right up there with your non-stop Cooper Kupp is a product of the system remark.  Except that the Rams made him a top-10 paid WR.   If he was a system guy they wouldn’t have given him such a big contract.  

You paint yourself into corners with some of your arguments. 

A lot of people  agree with him. In my opinion Lawrence  isn't  that good compared  to his hype. Stroud already looks like a better qb than him and probably  would have faired even better  last year had dell not gotten hurt. This is not to say Lawrence isn't a good qb he is just not as great as the hype warrants. With the hype he got coming out I expected  Pat Mahomes, Tom Brady, peak Manning type performance. Oddly enough  Mahomes  didn't  have that hype.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, w87r said:

Just saw a mock with us trading up to #4 for Harrison.

2025 1st

2025 3rd

For 

Probably a pretty accurate price. Won't be just us trying to trade up, there would be competition.

Vikings have #11,#23, prob still cost them more as well.

I’d be loathe to give up next year’s 1st.  I’d do 1st & 2nd this year and 2nd & 3rd next.  From AZ perspective, that’s quite a haul to move down only 11 spots. For a team needing to build, 4 high picked players for 1 = excellent team building move.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I think odunze, Harrison,  and nabors are all better than pittman that's for sure and there there are several  wrs better than pierce as well as well as many corners that are better  than what we have.

Might make more sense to try and move up for Nabers or Odunze, as to do so might be significantly less expensive and arguably, you might be getting a WR that is just as good.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Might make more sense to try and move up for Nabers or Odunze, as to do so might be significantly less expensive and arguably, you might be getting a WR that is just as good.

I doubt  he moves up for any of those guys unless they fall to around 9-12. Only way I see us getting  Harrison  is through  free agency  in a few years if he chooses  to leave the team that drafts him.

32 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I’d be loathe to give up next year’s 1st.  I’d do 1st & 2nd this year and 2nd & 3rd next.  From AZ perspective, that’s quite a haul to move down only 11 spots. For a team needing to build, 4 high picked players for 1 = excellent team building move.

Noway  Ballard  does that trade  but if he did he trade next years first for more seconds

• Like 1

This presser has reinforced how I feel about this draft and what we might do.  This is one of the most “it can go any way” drafts I’ve been apart of as a colts fan.  Based on our needs, the strengths of this draft, and where we pick, there are numerous ways this thing can go.  Some takeaways I got from this presser:

- Getting AR a weapon:  I think after this presser, we are definitely getting an AR another weapon.  I’m not sure if it’s going to be with the first or second pick.  Bowers to the colts doesn’t seem likely to me now.  Ballard really likes our tight end group and I can’t see him investing a high pick into the tight end room given what we have.  But either way, either the first or second pick will be a weapon.

- Anything is possible:  we may trade up, stay put, or even trade back.  It all depends on how this draft goes, who they have on their board, and where they have them rated.  I can see us trading up if one or two of the top 3 WRs get to pick 9.  I can see staying put if our trade up options are gone but someone looks to be falling to us.  I can also see us trading back if we have first round grades on certain players who are left and can be chosen later in the first round.  I can see all of these things happening and it really all depends on how things play out.  Personally, I’d hope we trade up if one of the top 3 WRs get close enough and doesn’t cost us too much.  But either way, we’re in a unique position and this can go a lot of ways.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yes, it's all true that Jefferson got drafted at 22,Ceedee went 17, Juedy went 15 , Aiyuk 25 and Higgins 33 but GM has gotta pick the right guy at right time and other teams shouldn't get to the right guy before Colts do.

For every Jefferson at #22 example, there's a Jalen Reagor at #21. The toughest part in picking Jefferson at #22 is not picking a bust like Reagor and missing out on Jefferson. As you go away from the top of the Draft, hitting on busts is more likely than exactly drafting the perfect right guy. Drafting isn't that easy, without the help of hindsight. 

Right now, We can't name which of the WRs in upcoming draft will be a good value, good return pick, even though this draft class is super, super deep on WRs. Of course, 4 years later in 2028, everyone can point out Jefferson or Higgins or Lamb or Aiyuk of 2024 WR Draft Class. 

I know a lot was said, but I really don’t like when people bring up JJ because he was such a unique case.  He fell for multiple reasons.  Analysts thought he was a product of the system, he shined because of chase, they thought he was just a slot guy.  JJ was such a curious case because he had the production to prove it but I think teams who picked other WRs ahead of him got wrapped up in the detractors.  

TBH, the only player I can see in a similar predicament at WR is Adonai Mitchell, other than that, I think what you see is what you get.  Of course, there will be sleepers In every draft, but outside of Adonai, I don’t think there’s a “JJ” at WR In this draft.  Maybe Troy Franklin too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I know a lot was said, but I really don’t like when people bring up JJ because he was such a unique case.  He fell for multiple reasons.  Analysts thought he was a product of the system, he shined because of chase, they thought he was just a slot guy.  JJ was such a curious case because he had the production to prove it but I think teams who picked other WRs ahead of him got wrapped up in the detractors.  

TBH, the only player I can see in a similar predicament at WR is Adonai Mitchell, other than that, I think what you see is what you get.  Of course, there will be sleepers In every draft, but outside of Adonai, I don’t think there’s a “JJ” at WR In this draft.  Maybe Troy Franklin too. 

Alot of people  sleeping  of troy franklin.  He is expected  to go in the second

• Like 1

9 hours ago, w87r said:

good interview with Rich Eisen today.

Talks about fantasy world of getting Harrison.

For what it’s worth….   This is the short version of the interview.  About 4:30.    

Later in the day,  Eisen posted the longer version, the full interview.   It’s roughly 11 min long.    I’d post it if I could.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Some throws are from 10 feet.  Some throws are from 40 feet.  I would rather have two 10-foot throws than five 40-foot throws.

That is a really interesting analogy. Thanks for posting it like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

A common thing that Ballard likes to say is, every pick is a throw at the dart board.  And regarding trading down, he always likes to have more throws.

I don't disagree with that.  However, I would also like to state the opinion that not every throw at the dart board is the same.  Some throws are from 10 feet.  Some throws are from 40 feet.  I would rather have two 10-foot throws than five 40-foot throws.

Just my opinion.

I agree. Generally 1st round picks are 50/50, and from there the probability gets more difficult. 

5 hours ago, smittywerb said:

This presser has reinforced how I feel about this draft and what we might do.  This is one of the most “it can go any way” drafts I’ve been apart of as a colts fan.  Based on our needs, the strengths of this draft, and where we pick, there are numerous ways this thing can go.  Some takeaways I got from this presser:

- Getting AR a weapon:  I think after this presser, we are definitely getting an AR another weapon.  I’m not sure if it’s going to be with the first or second pick.  Bowers to the colts doesn’t seem likely to me now.  Ballard really likes our tight end group and I can’t see him investing a high pick into the tight end room given what we have.  But either way, either the first or second pick will be a weapon.

- Anything is possible:  we may trade up, stay put, or even trade back.  It all depends on how this draft goes, who they have on their board, and where they have them rated.  I can see us trading up if one or two of the top 3 WRs get to pick 9.  I can see staying put if our trade up options are gone but someone looks to be falling to us.  I can also see us trading back if we have first round grades on certain players who are left and can be chosen later in the first round.  I can see all of these things happening and it really all depends on how things play out.  Personally, I’d hope we trade up if one of the top 3 WRs get close enough and doesn’t cost us too much.  But either way, we’re in a unique position and this can go a lot of ways.  

I hope Ballard doesn’t pass on Bowers if he’s there at 15. He’s not just a TE, he’s a do it all weapon this team and Richardson could use. As for WRs, the drop off from 1st round WRs and mid 2nd round WRs is pretty drastic to me, so I’d prefer just going all out and getting an elite one if one were to fall to 9 or 10.

• Like 2

My guesses based on this presser:

- Ballard will NOT draft a CB in the 1st... maybe at all? Everything he's saying seems to suggest he likes the group we have and he wants to see them play and have a chance to develop. I'm almost certain if Mitchell for example is there at 15... we pass on him... either for trade back or for an offensive weapon... or DE?

- Ballard WILL trade back. If not in the 1st... then later in the draft... but most probably in the 1st. IMO he pretty much advertised to his potential customers by telling them how many 1st round grades he has. Teams 19-21 are welcome to call and will receive warm greetings from Ballard. Rams, Steelers, Dolphins? 

- He seemed to be talking about a specific someone one dimensional offensive weapon when he was talking about them just having had a meeting about a certain player... about whether them and the coaching staff see the way he can be used the same way... and if they agree on this, IMO this is a potential target for the Colts. The names that come to mind - Brian Thomas Jr and Xavier Worthy... A lot of the other WRs are more well rounded... 

- The Colts LOVE the OL class both at the top and in depth. I have seen some OL experts suggest there might be 10 starting centers in this draft... and the OTs class in the 1st is like nothing I've ever seen. Can we draft an OL in the 1st? Doubt it... but absolutely expect a few shots on day 2 and 3. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

My guesses based on this presser:

- Ballard will NOT draft a CB in the 1st... maybe at all? Everything he's saying seems to suggest he likes the group we have and he wants to see them play and have a chance to develop. I'm almost certain if Mitchell for example is there at 15... we pass on him... either for trade back or for an offensive weapon... or DE?

- Ballard WILL trade back. If not in the 1st... then later in the draft... but most probably in the 1st. IMO he pretty much advertised to his potential customers by telling them how many 1st round grades he has. Teams 19-21 are welcome to call and will receive warm greetings from Ballard. Rams, Steelers, Dolphins? 

- He seemed to be talking about a specific someone one dimensional offensive weapon when he was talking about them just having had a meeting about a certain player... about whether them and the coaching staff see the way he can be used the same way... and if they agree on this, IMO this is a potential target for the Colts. The names that come to mind - Brian Thomas Jr and Xavier Worthy... A lot of the other WRs are more well rounded... 

- The Colts LOVE the OL class both at the top and in depth. I have seen some OL experts suggest there might be 10 starting centers in this draft... and the OTs class in the 1st is like nothing I've ever seen. Can we draft an OL in the 1st? Doubt it... but absolutely expect a few shots on day 2 and 3. 

Yeah I didn’t get the impression he felt a huge need to draft a CB. 

He was asked about mentioning YAC guys and he said every team wants them. The Colts have had meetings with the two top YAC guys in the draft - Brock Bowers and Malachi Corley. I absolutely think we’re taking Bowers if he falls to us and I even think we may jump up a couple of picks to land him. 

If Bowers gets taken ahead of us I feel pretty certain we’re trading back hoping to land another 3rd rounder. 

I didn’t catch if they were talking about draft targets or players already on the roster when they talked about on dimensional guys? My initial thought was Pierce. 

I think it’s a given we’re taking at least one Olineman this draft, but that’s not really anything new. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Superman said:

I think this probably isn't an objective viewpoint. I think you want fireworks, and you're an eternal optimist. Nothing wrong with that, but I think a more practical viewpoint is to acknowledge that taking huge chances isn't exactly a recipe for success. (You're going to point to examples that worked out; I'm going to counter with twice as many that failed.)

The bolded especially. First, it seems like you chose 11 games because you feel like that's the target to keep up with the Texans. Second, I don't think the Colts are one player away from keeping up with the top tier of the AFC. I think a lot has to go right for the Colts to be in the mix with the Chiefs, etc. I said at the beginning of the offseason, I think we're still one draft class away from being in those discussions.

But if you can talk yourself into one guy being the answer, just one playmaker holds the key for the Colts to be in contention, then yeah, identify your favorite prospect and bang the table for the Colts to do whatever they have to to get that player. That would be awesome for us. But I think the reason Ballard doesn't do that is because it's flawed team building (historically speaking), not because he's afraid.. You can promise steak dinners based on your hunches, but that's not exactly how I want the GM to make decisions.

2006 has that winning 11 games is enough mentality like so many here.

Having a SB level right side of our o-line should be priority one. We are far from it.

We need a shutdown corner that can go man on the many great 4.3 running WR's. This simply allows the deep safety to defend everything else. Instead of Ballard sticking him in the middle of the field knowing that one of his slow corners will get beat deep.

We need a LB for development and depth that can cover better.

And yes a 3rd receiver that gets open quick that can also threaten deep.

With faster, better players on D, Gus could blitz 5 more times a game to get the pressure we need.

I have No Doubt Steichen has taken Ownership, Ballard and his staff to school regarding what we have and what we need. 

Pray that 4-5 of our current very young players can become really solid by seasons end. Plus 3-4 really nice draft picks and 2025 and beyond we can be reckoned with.

We need to be amongst the very Best at running the dang ball and pass blocking. 

I think if I could move back 5 spots and take Mims at RT and move Smith over that would be great.

Then use the necessary draft capital to get LB Cooper and CB from Rutgers Melton. I would expect Ballard to take Leggett over a CB. That would be a good move to.

I would feel really good about our prospects.

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Let me say this first so you won't poke fun at my post, I know this would never happen, but I would trade up to 4 and draft Marvin. Even if it took this years 15th, next years 1st, and giving up Pierce. Ballard never gambles to get the very best and that is why many in here are bothered by him. I like Ballard's approach for the most part. I loved bringing everyone back because we have good players, and it is good for chemistry. Now and then to get better, you need to gamble a little and trust your instincts though. As of now I look at our team as a 9 win team without another playmaker on offense. 9 wins is good, makes for a fun season, but it doesn't get you anywhere when you have KC, Baltimore, Cincy winning 12. Houston probably winning 11.

Ballard's type of gamble is trading up from 44 to 41 for Jonathan Taylor. For measely 5th rounder. Him giving up a day 2 pick... let alone an additional 1st rounder for a single player just seems all wrong and against his nature. I agree with you that there are certain chances he has to go for and go against math with, but... it just doesn't seem like this is one of those cases. :dunno: 

I wonder if Nabers is there at 9 and the price is a 3d... would he do it? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Ballard's type of gamble is trading up from 44 to 41 for Jonathan Taylor. For measely 5th rounder. Him giving up a day 2 pick... let alone an additional 1st rounder for a single player just seems all wrong and against his nature. I agree with you that there are certain chances he has to go for and go against math with, but... it just doesn't seem like this is one of those cases. :dunno: 

Most definitely if I were him.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don’t see Nabers getting past the Giants at 6.

18 hours ago, w87r said:

Just saw a mock with us trading up to #4 for Harrison.

2025 1st

2025 3rd

For 

Probably a pretty accurate price. Won't be just us trying to trade up, there would be competition.

Vikings have #11,#23, prob still cost them more as well.

If we are trading up for Harrison ... IMO you let the Vikings trade up for their QB at 4 and then try for 5... The Chargers with Harbaugh IMO are looking to do a massive rebuild of their offense and Harbaugh has already stated just how much he values the OL, so... there is a chance they can be persuaded by a good offer(probably lesser than that one above, but still). 

• Like 1

My best guess is Brian Thomas Jr. is the target. He fits the deep threat and YAC Ballard mentions. 
Depending on how the draft falls Colts can land land him with a small trade up, stay at 15 or a trade down

PFF draft simulator suggest Colts can trade down to 20-22 pick up an additional second rounder and draft Thomas and then land a db and ol in the second. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TigerColt said:

My best guess is Brian Thomas Jr. is the target. He fits the deep threat and YAC Ballard mentions. 
Depending on how the draft falls Colts can land land him with a small trade up, stay at 15 or a trade down

PFF draft simulator suggest Colts can trade down to 20-22 pick up an additional second rounder and draft Thomas and then land a db and ol in the second. 

I’ve seen the Jags pick him up in a few mocks. 

8 minutes ago, TigerColt said:

If Brian Thomas can run all the routes and be an all around WR I’d be completely happy with trading down to the early 20s if they feel Thomas will still be there, and pick up an extra 2nd and possibly a little more in the process. 

I think MHJ and Nabors and possibly Odunze would cost too much (as Balard mentioned before) to obtain. He also mentioned WR position is deep and that tells me he has others targeted. Thomas falls in the 15-21 range imo. 

Another scenario has the Colts taking Mitchel, Dejean, or Arnold (best CBs available) and then trading up in the second to snag Franklin or Mitchel

Finally watched and surprise, nothing in my mind changed. He said what I expected. He likes our corners- means he doesn't feel like he has to pick one, but I think if they love a guy like Mitchell, they'll get him. Said he defaults to moving back, but if they see a special talent at a reasonable price they'll get him - he's willing to break character for that right guy, just like he did with DFo. 

I still feel like the odds of moving up are the highest in his tenure outside of last year, simply because of the talent in my eyes

10 hours ago, rockywoj said:

What if it was this:

2025 1st

For the record, not advocating for or against a move up. Just strictly for discussion.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

If we are trading up for Harrison ... IMO you let the Vikings trade up for their QB at 4 and then try for 5... The Chargers with Harbaugh IMO are looking to do a massive rebuild of their offense and Harbaugh has already stated just how much he values the OL, so... there is a chance they can be persuaded by a good offer(probably lesser than that one above, but still). 

It's a great point. Tough to argue that logic on our end. 

I will try and make a couple counter points for discussion.

1. Do you think the Cardinals will be telling us who we are competing with and their offer? Let's just say yes, down to the offer (not likely), more so just what it will take on our end. So if you have the current pick and it is obtainable, do you pass for 1 pick and risk not getting them?

2. To follow up that, you better of already had a deal in place with the Chargers if you let #4 slip away. That's assuming the Chargers don't want Harrison for themselves. 

Like I said, bunch of great points and I think the Chargers would definitely benefit from picking up some additional picks. There will be some competition for #5 as well.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth….   This is the short version of the interview.  About 4:30.    

Later in the day,  Eisen posted the longer version, the full interview.   It’s roughly 11 min long.    I’d post it if I could.  

Yeah perhaps I was a little harsh @richard pallo, I knew the clip was longer and his post had some of that(longer cut) in there.

I just thought it was funny that he said "it was funny I mentioned it", about the QB talk, and talked about the clip I had just posted. Which was behind the reason for the QB talk "mention".

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, w87r said:

It's a great point. Tough to argue that logic on our end. 

I will try and make a couple counter points for discussion.

1. Do you think the Cardinals will be telling us who we are competing with and their offer? Let's just say yes, down to the offer (not likely), more so just what it will take on our end. So if you have the current pick and it is obtainable, do you pass for 1 pick and risk not getting them?

My thought process is as follows - first, Raiders, Vikings, Broncos... all teams that need QB, all teams starting with better bidding position than us(higher picks than us) ... some of them will probably be bidding for 4 and teams bidding for a QB in general have more of an incentive to give better offers than a team (like us) not bidding for a QB(let alone a team with Ballard as the GM). So... I would probably give a fair offer, but I wouldn't participate in a bidding war against teams bidding for their QB of the future. Now... you always risk that Arizona just decides to not trade that pick and get MHJ instead and I'm good taking that risk... 

18 minutes ago, w87r said:

2. To follow up that, you better of already had a deal in place with the Chargers if you let #4 slip away. That's assuming the Chargers don't want Harrison for themselves. 

Like I said, bunch of great points and I think the Chargers would definitely benefit from picking up some additional picks. There will be some competition for #5 as well.

The really nice thing, if some of the teams mentioned above manages to trade up for McCarthy or whoever the 4th QB is, is that this drastically dampens the trade market for the following pick(since there wouldn't be a QB worthy of trading up for at that point.... presumably). Now sure... there probably will be interest from other teams to trade up for their choice of a WR, but I think the price will definitely be lower than the price for trading up to 4 when you are bidding against QB hungry teams. And again... you always risk the Chargers to just ... pick MHJ for themselves, but you just have to live with that IMO. I'm just trying to cobble up a realistic case where we end up with MHJ. Since we have Ballard as GM, IMO none of those are REALLY realistic, but IMO they are much more realistic than Ballard trying to outbid 3 teams bidding for a QB. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stephen said:

I don’t think any of them are better this season. But I agree, they all should be in the near future. They have very high upside.