Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What WR is most likely to develop into Starting WR... Permanently?

BleedBlue4Shoe86

When you look over the current roster and look at the WR room we see alot of potential but not alot of experience (outside of Hilton)

TY Hilton

Zach Pascal

Marcus Johnson

DeMichael Harris

Paris Campbell

Michael Pittman Jr

Dezmon Patmon

Reece Fountain

So the question that I have is who is most likely to step up and be a Quality starter.  Exclude Pascal and Hilton (they have already proven that they are quality).  The main people that I look at are Marcus Johnson, Demichael Harris, Michael Pittman Jr and Paris Campbell.  

What are your thoughts?

6 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Pittman

Johnson

Campbell

I don't know what to make of Johnson.  He looks great, but he can't seem to stick on anyone's team.  I know it's mainly injuries, but as they say - the best ability is ...

I guess the same could be said about Campbell.  I hope that doesn't turn out true about MPJ.  

But Receivers and RBs are plentiful.  It seems like they get better every year coming out of college.

I guess it really depends on what you mean by starter. Some people think thats a guy that would start on everyones team, some think its a star, some think its literally just a guy who literally just starts by default. 

I think we still have to give alot more time to Pittman. Hard for him to get settled being 3 games into a rookie year, then having a freak injury, then trying to play catch up while your starting QB develops chemistry with other recievers. I'd be shocked if he didn't pan out. He has all the tools, and bloodlines as well as being a leader, and doing the lesser known things like blocking.

Campbell IMO was going to have a huge year this year. The way we used him that first game, he looked so confident and absolutely dynamic in open field. It really seemed like they made getting him the ball a priority. I could definitely see him having a Debo Samuel type of impact for us, barring injuries.

Let us be real. TY is pure cripe nowadays.

Okay, hyperbole, but man he isn’t dominant at all.

TY seems frustrated because he isn’t playing as well as he used to, and compared to new star DK Metcalf he is laughably bad.

But to be fair, TY has always had ups and downs. How could he not be frustrated at this point? 

Man that DK... if only the Colts drafted him (yeah yeah every team bar the Hawks say that).

DK has a killer instinct that TY can only dream of having. A drive to improve always. A determination to be the best. TY doesn’t anymore.

Also DK has the heart of the champion, the body of a Greek God and the speed and reflexes of Neo from the Matrix. 

Doubt TY ever sniffs Pro Bowl level again.

More likely than not, Ballard will have to address the WR position again this off-season.  Too much uncertainty about Campbell's ability to stay healthy (I think he's got all the skills to be a quality starter if he could stay healthy, but he hasn't proven he can).  Too much uncertainty about TY - he's hurt again (this year it's a groin instead of a calf) and he hasn't looked like himself all season.  I know he's very valued as a team leader, locker room guy, etc.. but he hasn't really done anything this year that screams the Colts should bring him back next year (or at least not give him a big contract).  Pascal's not bad, but I think in a perfect world he'd be a 4th or 5th WR (no higher than a #3, IMO).  Pittman was coming along before he got hurt, so it'll be interesting to see how he progresses this second half of the season (he didn't impress me as a WR last week, though he did show he's a willing blocker).  Haven't seen anything from Patmon in a game - heard some good things about him in camp, and obviously by not putting him to the PS, the front office/coaching staff thinks highly enough of him that they're unwilling to risk another team snagging him away (though it's still odd that they'll bring up WRs - e.g., Fountain, Johnson, Harris off the practice squad and activate them while keeping Patmon deactivated). 

Right now, this team lacks a true #1.  I think Pittman can develop into being a very solid #2 or even #1b, but don't see it in him being a true #1.  I know the knock on Patmon has been he plays smaller than his size.  I also don't see him ever becoming a #1 (maybe a #2b to Pittman or a #3 or #4).  Campbell I think is best used as more of a slot WR, so don't think he's really a true #1 either, same goes for D. Harris.  I like Johnson as a #3.  We don't exactly have the deepest WR group in the league so seeing Fountain on the practice squad says something about him, maybe he'll get better another year after recovering from ankle injury, but I don't see him being a long term starter for us (maybe a #5).  Dulin, actually, I think has a lot of potential and can see him developing into a solid #3.  

Personally, I think we'll see Pittman and Patmon be in the line-up for us regularly for several years.  I do, however, think Ballard really needs to bring in a true #1 in the very near future (though, this may be difficult as unless Eason is our long term QB answer, we'll need to address that position and we'll need to start throwing big $ at guys like Leonard, Q, B. Smith, etc.).  

If I had to predict, 2 years from today the WRs on the current roster I'd still expect to be Colts are Pittman, Patmon, Campbell, Dulin.

12 minutes ago, James said:

TY seems frustrated because he isn’t playing as well as he used to, and compared to new star DK Metcalf he is laughably bad.

But to be fair, TY has always had ups and downs. How could he not be frustrated at this point? 

Man that DK... if only the Colts drafted him (yeah yeah every team bar the Hawks say that).

DK has a killer instinct that TY can only dream of having. A drive to improve always. A determination to be the best. TY doesn’t anymore.

Also DK has the heart of the champion, the body of a Greek God and the speed and reflexes of Neo from the Matrix. 

I kinda thought this thread read What WR is most likely to develop into starting WR, permanently? 

I was under the impression the question was for a WR on the Colts roster. 

47 minutes ago, James said:

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

1 hour ago, James said:

smell oreo GIF by Lamarr Wilson

1 hour ago, James said:

Unfortunately a freak athlete like DK didn't fit our scheme or need.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I kinda thought this thread read What WR is most likely to develop into starting WR, permanently? 

I was under the impression the question was for a WR on the Colts roster. 

Don't you know that EVERY thread is a chance to point fingers?  Lol...

Can someone explain to me the upside of Pittman?  I’m not bashing the kid.  He’s a rookie in covid, had injuries, etc... i get it and am willing to wait for development.

But,  my eyes see an average/slightly above average wr.  Not especially quick or sudden,  not fast by any means. Kinda lumbers like a TE at times.  Is not physical at all at release point and gets pushed around a bit. Even looks lost at times.  I like the kid and am willing to wait but i expected more in some areas for a top of 2nd “blue chipish” wr.  I even watched some usc highlights and would like more physical play against defenders.  
Can someone tell me why my eyes are lying to me?

I’ll leave the penalties (concentration) alone as i think he’s pressing and trying too hard at times.

Claypool is a reference for me.  TDs aside, i like the physical tone Claypool brings.  I’d like a lil more of that from Pitt. TDs will come.

I'm gonna throw Zach Pascal some love.  Is he a pro bowler?  No.  Will he ever be?  Probably not.  However, he's done everything we asked him to.  He's as clutch as you can be without being amazing.  And most of all, he's been available for every game he's been with us for the past two and a half years.  I'll start him.  Until someone else comes and takes the job away from him, I'll start him.

4 hours ago, James said:

Yeah drafting Campbell over DK makes you wonder :thinking: and yeah other GM's passed on him too but we have the genius Ballard who we're told is better than all other GMs.

As far as TY, he's the best WR we've had since Reggie was in his prime. His best days are indeed most likely behind him but I am very appreciative Griggs moved up and got him. Still my favorite current colt.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Both Pittman and Campbell will end up being our starters. They will put this over reaction to bed. 

Hmmmmm. Pittman was suppose to b the most pro ready receiver coming out of the draft as told by the Colts. He was not very impressive even before the injury.   I loved Campbell coming out of the draft and loved that the Colts drafted him. He was not injury prone in college, but he has bad luck.  Injuries that he has suffered, I would imagine have some long term affect on his speed/athleticism.

4 hours ago, James said:

29 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I don't understand this forums fascination with DK Metcalf

From what I seen is it’s the physical built, better than any receiver on this team, and was a player we should have drafted. That’s probably why the forum loves him. I personally wanted AJ Brown over any receiver in that draft class. Campbell needs time and to stay healthy

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm gonna throw Zach Pascal some love.  Is he a pro bowler?  No.  Will he ever be?  Probably not.  However, he's done everything we asked him to.  He's as clutch as you can be without being amazing.  And most of all, he's been available for every game he's been with us for the past two and a half years.  I'll start him.  Until someone else comes and takes the job away from him, I'll start him.

And I love his blocking too!

7 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

I guess it really depends on what you mean by starter. Some people think thats a guy that would start on everyones team, some think its a star, some think its literally just a guy who literally just starts by default. 

I think we still have to give alot more time to Pittman. Hard for him to get settled being 3 games into a rookie year, then having a freak injury, then trying to play catch up while your starting QB develops chemistry with other recievers. I'd be shocked if he didn't pan out. He has all the tools, and bloodlines as well as being a leader, and doing the lesser known things like blocking.

Campbell IMO was going to have a huge year this year. The way we used him that first game, he looked so confident and absolutely dynamic in open field. It really seemed like they made getting him the ball a priority. I could definitely see him having a Debo Samuel type of impact for us, barring injuries.

I don't think we can go into next season with any expectations that Campbell will contribute. He's made of glass. He needs to be no more than a luxury item and we need 2-4 more new WRs on the roster via FA and the draft. 

15 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Can someone explain to me the upside of Pittman?  I’m not bashing the kid.  He’s a rookie in covid, had injuries, etc... i get it and am willing to wait for development.

I'll go with his draft preview plus his 6'4" size.

He brings good overall athleticism and physicality to the WR position. In the run game he is a good stalk blocker due to his toughness and physicality. He runs strong with the football after the catch. In the passing game, he is good in contested catch situations. He demonstrates the toughness to catch a 6 route when contact is imminent. He is sufficient as a route runner and demonstrates excellent tracking ability when the ball is in the air. He also displays good, strong hands to pluck the football. He is very competitive and will be good in the red area and goal line situations. His skill set is likely best suited to play X or as a big slot. He will be a 4 phase, core special teamer in the NFL.

13 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I don't understand this forums fascination with DK Metcalf

Especially when his college career ended with a neck injury with 5 games left.   If the Colts would have drafted him and he would have had another injury the same people would be crucifying Ballard for drafting an injury prone WR.  

I would say someone not currently on the roster.  But of the ones here, I'd say Campbell.  He looked poised to do so in his very brief moments this year.  Just have to stay healthy of course.

In the upcoming draft, I would expect Ballard to keep looking for that next guy, even if he feels he is already on the roster.  You can't have enough and the next QB will need weapons.  I would be looking at DeVonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, Justyn Ross, and Chris Olave.

46 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

because ballard drafted paris cambell over him and he is one of the best wrs in the nfl now .  be honest he would be amazing with rivers . rivers loves to throw the deep jump ball .

River may love throwing the deep jump ball, but I don't think Frank does. 

Seriously doubt DK would have the stats he has now if he had come to Indy. 

If you think about it, he would have had JB last year and likely not used a bunch.

I like DK, and wish we would have grabbed him, but he ended up in a much better place for a deep strike WR.

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

because ballard drafted paris cambell over him and he is one of the best wrs in the nfl now .  be honest he would be amazing with rivers . rivers loves to throw the deep jump ball .

Honestly I don't think he would be good within our offense because he is slow when changing directions. I think he is in the perfect place for his skills in Seattle and Russell Wilson. I would also strongly disagree that he is one of the best WRs in the NFL right now, I would put him in the top 20 maybe top 15. Although you put him with a different QB like Baker or Rivers and I don't think he is top 30.

Remember Tom Brady had a faster cone drill and shuttle than DK Metcalf

Tom Brady: 7.2 cone, 4.38 shuttle DK Metcalf: 7.38 cone, 4.5 shuttle

10 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Honestly I don't think he would be good within our offense because he is slow when changing directions. I think he is in the perfect place for his skills in Seattle and Russell Wilson. I would also strongly disagree that he is one of the best WRs in the NFL right now, I would put him in the top 20 maybe top 15. Although you put him with a different QB like Baker or Rivers and I don't think he is top 30.

Remember Tom Brady had a faster cone drill and shuttle than DK Metcalf

Tom Brady: 7.2 cone, 4.38 shuttle DK Metcalf: 7.38 cone, 4.5 shuttle

Drills and 40 times do not measure game speed Mahomes ran a horrible 40 time Peyton Manning was around the same time . But Mahomes is mobile .   Dk is killing the game right now and with any qb he would be dominant 

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

River may love throwing the deep jump ball, but I don't think Frank does. 

Seriously doubt DK would have the stats he has now if he had come to Indy. 

If you think about it, he would have had JB last year and likely not used a bunch.

I like DK, and wish we would have grabbed him, but he ended up in a much better place for a deep strike WR.

We can agree to disagree I understand your points , I just think a good wr is a good wr. Dk would be fine here he is a Calvin Johnson clone

Archived