So, with the quarantine and not having a lot to do, I have really been listening to a lot of Colts Podcast and reading a lot of stories. After doing this I am left with 1 Big Question. What are the Colts gonna do about the long term future at QB? Lets examine what is currently happening on the roster.
1. Colts sign Rivers to a 1 year deal. He is 38 and could be amazing or could drop off a cliff. He says he feels he can play a few more years. So lets say he plays 2 more years.
2. Colts Cut Hoyer.
3. It is reported that even though he has a large cap hit, they are gonna keep Brissett this year. Is this so he can be the most expensive backup or is there something else to it.
4. More and more reports are coming out that the Colts may forgo taking a QB at all in 2020 draft.
5. Colts still have Kelly.
Okay, so now that we have what is being said and reported about the Colts QB situation, lets dive into what some of the conspiracy theories are.
1. Colts still really like Brissett and might get him to rework his deal and remain as the backup. My issue with this is that if you draft a QB in 2020-2021, you want him to be the backup to Rivers. Heck even if you like Kelly, you want him being the backup. If the Colts truly see no future in JB, then this is a dud of a theory.
2. Colts may just let JB and Kelly walk at the end of 2020 season and look to draft a QB to eventually take over for Rivers. My issue with this is that if Rivers does as well as everyone hopes, you are picking pretty late in the 1st round. Odds are low that you get a great QB in the mid to late 20s.
So my overarching question is what is the future of the QB room? Is it still Brissett? Is is Kelly? Is is a someone like a Justin Fields, Kellen Mond or Jamie Newman?