Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is Chris Ballard MOST LIKELY to do in the 1st Round of the 2024 NFL Draft?

What is Chris Ballard MOST LIKELY to do in the 1st Round of the 2024 Draft?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What is Chris Ballard MOST LIKELY to do in the 1st Round of the 2024 NFL Draft?

• Trade up for Marvin Harrison Jr
    • Initiate a trade back and acquire more draft picks
    • Stand pat and select at #15
    • Accept another team's offer to move in to the #15 slot

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/26/2024 at 12:02 PM

I think we stand pat at 15. Mitchell or Arnold might be there at 15, Bowers might be there at 15, Brian Thomas is another one. There's also the EDGE rushers. I'm guessing someone that Ballard has in the top 10 of his rankings will fall to 15, and he'll stand pat and take him there.

I've heard the rumors of trading up for a WR, I just don't believe them. 

• Like 1

I feel like he will stand pat and pick Bowers if he's there and if not pick the top DB that is left on the board. 

The second most likely scenario to me seems to be a trade back but only if the players that he really wanted to pick are all of the board and the next ones are the type of players who could very well drop anyways. 

I highly doubt we will trade up for one of the top picks since we haven't brought in many outside players in free agency. I feel like Ballard wants all the draft picks he can get at this point to fill the roster rather than to put all of his eggs in one basket. 

Keep in mind I'm very new to the whole draft process so I could end up being completly wrong :D

4 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Ballard will most likely send this forum and armchair GMs into an uproar... No matter what he does.

Well, it's not that we would do much worse than him..cough cough. He is below 500 over 7 years. I'm just saying.

• Thanks 1

Trade back with Philly, since Isaiah Rodgers suspension wasn't lifted with the other guys today. Whatever that's about? Maybe the league looked at how the NBA handled Porter's gambling and are reevaluating Rodgers? Idk, probably not but seems weird he didn't get removed from suspension list.

They might need to come up and get a CB.

Thoughts I heard something about Jaguars trading up. Turned out to be just a bunch of hot air.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Trade back with Philly, since Isaiah Rodgers suspension wasn't lifted with the other guys today. Whatever that's about? Maybe the league looked at how the NBA handled Porter's gambling and are reevaluating Rodgers? Idk, probably not but seems weird he didn't get removed from suspension list.

They might need to come up and get a CB.

Thoughts I heard something about Jaguars trading up. Turned out to be just a bunch of hot air.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Lol.

See what you did there.

11 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

Stand pat is my guess, but only if Bowers in there which isn’t likely 

I agree! IMO  Bowers is the best pick if Ballard and Co think that Pierce is a good enough deep threat receiver. I'm not saying that I think he is I'm just saying if they think he is then Bowers is the best pick.  But unfortunately, I think Ballard stays at 15 and picks a corner which isn't necessarily a bad pick. I just think we need one more dynamic offensive player like a Bowers to make this offensive explosive one more will do it. IMO. But I know we need more defense playmakers so maybe Turner is who they're looking at.  I'm not a big Paye fan we could use a formidable pass rusher. I would be surprised if Ballard moves up and loses picks unless there is a player that he loves. I think it's more likely moving down than moving up. But if I were to answer what I would love to see him do it would be to move up and get either Nabers or Bowers there on my wish list. To me either one of those players would make this offense sizzle. I think Nabers would be the deep treat this offense needs.  If Ballard thinks he can get what he wants in the second round and beyond there are enough quality players then he moves down. But to me, I don't agree with this strategy because this team needs more difference-makers that's why I like the idea of moving up. 

Like most QBs they need a safety blanket to throw to and that can be a TE.  Draft rumor-mill already in full circulation with news that the Colts want to trade up on Day 1.  Still think it's a long shot to draft a legacy in MHJ reaching P4 with the Cardinals.  A trade up to P8 with Atlanta is probably the most realistic scenario and TE Bowers would be the call-in.  Not sold on most of this year's draftable QBs and doubt 4 or more will be drafted within the top-8 picks.  See the draft play out like every other year where teams can stay and get a serviceable QB. 

I think the draft falls this way:

1) Bears: Caleb

2) Commanders: Daniels

3) Vikings (trade with Pats) Maye

4) Cardinals: MHJ

5) Colts (trade with Chargers) Nabers

Reason for my top 5 is that I think the Patriots really like McCarthy, coupled with the Brady/McCarthy Michigan thing plus the Pats need more player help, it makes sense for the Pats to trade back to 11 but still be in front of the Raiders and Broncos to get their QB

Colts trade up reason: I think the Chargers need O-line help as well as other players like WR, however I believe the Chargers can still get a top LT at 15 and WR late in round one or if they trade back into round one which I believe they will attempt to do in this scenario. Plus, the Harbough Indy connection makes this trade likely.

Even if the Commanders take Maye at 2, I still think the Vikings trade up and then grab Daniels. Pats take McCarthy.

I think this is the year the Colts finally will mortgage a little bit of the future for the wideout. I'm going to stick with this. I hope my gut is correct here, we'll see. 

• Like 1

I think we stay at 15, hope Bowers is there but dont think he will be. With latest update not encouraging that Flowers will be ready seems like Corner more likely to be taken over WR.  First round corner paired with Brents with Jones first corner off the bench should yield better results then last season.

ttps://www.aol.com/cb-dallis-flowers-rehabbing-achilles-084056300.htm

34 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I think we stay at 15, hope Bowers is there but dont think he will be. With latest update not encouraging that Flowers will be ready seems like Corner more likely to be taken over WR.  First round corner paired with Brents with Jones first corner off the bench should yield better results then last season.

Latest update not encouraging? Where's that at? Wasn't in that article.

Everything I have seen, has shown some athleticism has already started to come back.

I posted a couple rehab videos somewhere a month ago or so.

He is already dunking and looked very quick on take off and on his straight line running.

Can't remember if there was a change of direction in the the video but I think there was that as well.

Saying that, I think we still bring in a CB, but everything I have seen has been encouraging in regards to rehab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

We could go corner in the 2nd and get the same quality  as the first as we run a zone scheme.  Plus let's  not forget  flowers is an undrafted guy.

27 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Pick a player with long arms and a high RAS score 

They need to pick a player who can play now instead  of always banking on potential particularly at cb and wr

I think we stay at 15 if Bowers is there. I HOPE we stay at 15 if Laiatu Latu and/or Dallas Turner are there. But, I think it's most likely we trade back a few spots and hope we can land Brian Thomas Jr.

• Like 2

I think the only answer is trade back.

Question is "most likely".

I'm sure if there was betting odds on it(there might be?), the odds would favor trading back.

Now, that doesn't mean that's what will happen, but I think the odds would be in favor of trading back.

12 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

If he's able to trade back and still get WR Brian Thomas, he'll do it.

He will have to trade back a few spots then idk if BTJ makes it out of the Top 20. But with CB needy teams I could see that being possible.

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

I think the draft falls this way:

1) Bears: Caleb

2) Commanders: Daniels

3) Vikings (trade with Pats) Maye

4) Cardinals: MHJ

5) Colts (trade with Chargers) Nabers

Reason for my top 5 is that I think the Patriots really like McCarthy, coupled with the Brady/McCarthy Michigan thing plus the Pats need more player help, it makes sense for the Pats to trade back to 11 but still be in front of the Raiders and Broncos to get their QB

Colts trade up reason: I think the Chargers need O-line help as well as other players like WR, however I believe the Chargers can still get a top LT at 15 and WR late in round one or if they trade back into round one which I believe they will attempt to do in this scenario. Plus, the Harbough Indy connection makes this trade likely.

Even if the Commanders take Maye at 2, I still think the Vikings trade up and then grab Daniels. Pats take McCarthy.

I think this is the year the Colts finally will mortgage a little bit of the future for the wideout. I'm going to stick with this. I hope my gut is correct here, we'll see. 

Do u realize how much it would cost to move up to #5 for a receiver? 

20 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

No way Ballard trades back.  He’ll get an offensive playmaker at 15.

That would be great, however, it's all too easy to imagine Ballard saying something to the effect of, "We like our wide receiver room." He just re-signed Pittman, and may feel that Downs and Pierce will breakout in their 2nd and 3rd years respectively. Plus, the Colts have lots of TEs. I'd like to see the Colts trade-up if necessary to get Bowers or one of the 3 top WRs, but I think they'll go defense--CB, most likely.

• Like 1