Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard on Pat McAfee Show about the draft

stitches

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Good interview.  Said he got lucky with the AD pick (fell).  "Nobody knows how this stuff is going to play out" 

At least he pounced on the opportunity instead of letting it go to waste, like he did with Bernard Raimann. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

At least he pounced on the opportunity instead of letting it go to waste, like he did with Bernard Raimann. 

Yeah seriously. Can you imagine if he passed on AD and let him slide all the way to the third round??? That would be senseless... 

This is a joke. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He keeps reiterating he likes his corners so I’m not expecting a FA there but safety is where I think there could be an opportunity.

I don't think they're getting ready to sign anybody. He said 'we have our eye on the market, but we want to see how our guys look, and we're gonna be patient.' So I'm not holding my breath.

Not trying to talk you out of anything RP. Just offering my reaction when I heard what Ballard said.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He said the part about nobody knowing how these things will play out.....I thought with a smile. 

I took it as him being sarcastic towards the idea that some might think he was targeting AD and "knew" he would fall to 52, even deciding to trade down knowing that he would still be there. 

I think Ballard means he simply took the BPA, where it was obvious AD was the BPA staring him in the face.

• Like 1

If you’re going to role with the young secondary that’s fine but the depth behind them is horrible.  The way things are now baker is still going to make this team.  He is really setting the secondary up to fail if injuries happen again. There is no depth. In an ideal world jones would like a 4th guy. If flowers gets hurt or can’t go right away and Brent’s gets injured again the are in trouble. Hopefully we add a vet to this CB group. This secondary will be in trouble if injuries happen again. FS needs to be better then what we have.

• Like 5

Mentioned other first round positions they were eyeing WR seemed like what they tried to move up for. Also mentioned TE. Seems like his wants were lined up with mine which is refreshing. 

29 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If you’re going to role with the young secondary that’s fine but the depth behind them is horrible.  The way things are now baker is still going to make this team.  He is really setting the secondary up to fail if injuries happen again. There is no depth. In an ideal world jones would like a 4th guy. If flowers gets hurt or can’t go right away and Brent’s gets injured again the are in trouble. Hopefully we add a vet to this CB group. This secondary will be in trouble if injuries happen again. FS needs to be better then what we have.

Most secondaries are in trouble if their top two corners get hurt. Baker played better down the stretch. Jones can back up both boundry corner spots. I think Abraham will show to be good depth behind Kenny Moore. And it's still very early to evaluate what we have and make changes if necessary.  The D line is stacked now so that will help the coverage on the back end. Finally as I said before Blackmon is the veteran on the back end. It's obvious they have some kind of trust in Cross. Ive told most of the forum here more than once you guys are going to find out Daniel Scott can play. Lastly we just drafted a rookie safety from Auburn who has skills.   Stop throwing guys in the trash after one bad year. Especially if they are young and the staff says they can play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

Most secondaries are in trouble if their top two corners get hurt. Baker played better down the stretch. Jones can back up both boundry corner spots. I think Abraham will show to be good depth behind Kenny Moore. And it's still very early to evaluate what we have and make changes if necessary.  The D line is stacked now so that will help the coverage on the back end. Finally as I said before Blackmon is the veteran on the back end. It's obvious they have some kind of trust in Cross. Ive told most of the forum here more than once you guys are going to find out Daniel Scott can play. Lastly we just drafted a rookie safety from Auburn who has skills.   Stop throwing guys in the trash after one bad year. Especially if they are young and the staff says they can play.

The problem is we have seen this approach with Ballard fail year after year when he puts too much faith in guys. I hope he is proven right because I don’t want to see this secondary fail again. Again we will see if anything is added before the season starts.  

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Can you tell us what team in the NFL can lose 3 of their top corners and not be in trouble?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Can you tell us what team in the NFL can lose two starting corners and not be in trouble?

The issue is our depth is just bad there. I am ok not even going and getting a starting corner. But at least go get a vet with some experience as insurance. We will see what happens. I am more concerned with FS. But hopefully cross has matured. Ballard hasn’t had good luck taking super young kids. Cross is starting to remind me of Quincy Wilson who was very young when drafted and never developed.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, krunk said:

That's the big thing. The secondary got torched last year, but the three guys they intended to play big roles -- Rodgers, Flowers, Brents -- were unavailable for various reasons that were unexpected. We played third stringers at corner. It's not a real reflection of the secondary they were expecting to have going into the season.

I still think an insurance vet at safety would be good, but it's obvious they are going to roll with what they have for now. And they'll be judged for it, good or bad, which is fine. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

He said the part about nobody knowing how these things will play out.....I thought with a smile. 

I took it as him being sarcastic towards the idea that some might think he was targeting AD and "knew" he would fall to 52, even deciding to trade down knowing that he would still be there. 

I think Ballard means he simply took the BPA, where it was obvious AD was the BPA staring him in the face.

I think Ballard was sincere that he didn’t know Mitchell would after picking Latu at 15.    I think the moment he felt confident was approaching pick 46, and he could see who was up next so he could gamble he could trade down 6 picks and Mitchell would still be there.  

Not sure if I’m repeating your point, but wanted to offer my two cents to clarify. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Ballard was sincere that he didn’t know Mitchell would after picking Latu at 15.    I think the moment he felt confident was approaching pick 46, and he could see who was up next so he could gamble he could trade down 6 picks and Mitchell would still be there.  

Not sure if I’m repeating your point, but wanted to offer my two cents to clarify. 

That wasn't exactly my point.  I think if he was targeting AM, he would have simply picked him at 46. 

IMO, he traded down because CAR offered and he wasn't stuck on any one player on his board, not because it was a strategy to get AM plus another pick, which is what I think you are saying.  When he says that "nobody knows how this stuff plays out", I don't think he is saying "I knew how it was going to play out from pick 46 to 52, and I knew nobody was going to snipe us for AM, so I wanted to get another pick too."  

I think he saw AM was clearly the highest BPA on his board when they were on the clock....maybe a few picks ahead like around the time pick 50 was on the clock.   I think if he was flat out targeting AM around the time, say, when pick 43 was on the clock, he would have just picked him at 46, and not gambled if he really wanted AM then.   That's how I interpret his quote.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Yeah seriously. Can you imagine if he passed on AD and let him slide all the way to the third round??? That would be senseless... 

This is a joke. 

This is mainly in reference to DD's "past points of view" countering other fans' point of view that Ballard may not have thought Bernard Raimann would have been where he was picked but he should still get credit for taking the opportunity at BPA when it presented itself. By virtue of that, when the pick turns out to be better than expected, he should get credit because he could have still passed on him, just like with Adonai Mitchell (assuming he turns good). But in DD's book, he just "lucked into it" when all he did was recognize the value like GMs are supposed to do. 

However, that is something that other GMs before that pick didn't see the same way with AD. So, if AD turns out good, it is again Ballard lucking himself into it, just preparing myself for that future argument 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't think they're getting ready to sign anybody. He said 'we have our eye on the market, but we want to see how our guys look, and we're gonna be patient.' So I'm not holding my breath.

Not trying to talk you out of anything RP. Just offering my reaction when I heard what Ballard said.

That is it take as well. As for the unexpected extra capspace, we could use it to resign one of our own again, or roll it over 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superman said:

That's the big thing. The secondary got torched last year, but the three guys they intended to play big roles -- Rodgers, Flowers, Brents -- were unavailable for various reasons that were unexpected. We played third stringers at corner. It's not a real reflection of the secondary they were expecting to have going into the season.

I still think an insurance vet at safety would be good, but it's obvious they are going to roll with what they have for now. And they'll be judged for it, good or bad, which is fine. 

So I’ve heard this argument before. My issue is the assumption or idea that Flowers and Rodgers were starting level corners. For all the hype with Rogers and the talk about how the Eagles got a steal, they went out and drafted 2 corners back to back and brought back Avonte Maddox.

Plus I really think Flowers starting was similar to Rodney Thomas. I don’t think they had anyone else and he was the best of an unproven group. On other teams, he’s probably CB3/4. I don’t think Flowers showed enough to say that him being healthy would have made a significant improvement in the secondary. 

Also, I liked the JuJu pick but at the end of the day he was a rookie. I think even if the plan before things went of the rails was to have a CB room comprised of an unproven rookie and two late round/UDFA corners from small schools who were mainly STs players, then that wasn’t the best game plan. 

Id argue that running it back with Brents and Jones (while still not ideal) is a better game plan than last year’s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superman said:

still think an insurance vet at safety would be good, but it's obvious they are going to roll with what they have for now. And they'll be judged for it, good or bad, which is fine. 

I agree with that take, but it’s truly rolling the dice. They need a FS and there is a solid one out there in Simmons. Cross may turn out to be a good player, but he wasn’t the answer last year, and you hate to think the Colts will rely on him at this most critical position on the D. A decent one year deal for Simmons would make sense with a team option in year 2. It gives them some flexibility now with no further commitment. Hope it happens. 

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Re watch the Saint's game. Carr picked on Baker all game and completed like 12 of 14 on him. He  looked better in coverage later in the season, but his open field tackling killed us against the Texans. They seem to like him so maybe it's just me., but I was surprised when he was resigned following the season.  Hope the young man takes a big leap forward this year.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I agree with that take, but it’s truly rolling the dice. They need a FS and there is a solid one out there in Simmons. Cross may turn out to be a good player, but he wasn’t the answer last year, and you hate to think the Colts will rely on him at this most critical position on the D. A decent one year deal for Simmons would make sense with a team option in year 2. It gives them some flexibility now with no further commitment. Hope it happens. 

It takes two.  Simmons and Diggs have to (A) want to play for the Colts and (B) want to play for the number we’re willing to offer.   Those are two big offers. 

To be clear, I’m with you and hope it happens.  I just wonder if it will?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dunk said:

Re watch the Saint's game. Carr picked on Baker all game and completed like 12 of 14 on him. He  looked better in coverage later in the season, but his open field tackling killed us against the Texans. They seem to like him so maybe it's just me., but I was surprised when he was resigned following the season.  Hope the young man takes a big leap forward this year.

I thought it was Brown, more of a special teamer being torched by Shaheed, playing because of injuries that was the primary reason we gave up big plays. I am pretty sure it was Brown.

21 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

So I’ve heard this argument before. My issue is the assumption or idea that Flowers and Rodgers were starting level corners. For all the hype with Rogers and the talk about how the Eagles got a steal, they went out and drafted 2 corners back to back and brought back Avonte Maddox.

Plus I really think Flowers starting was similar to Rodney Thomas. I don’t think they had anyone else and he was the best of an unproven group. On other teams, he’s probably CB3/4. I don’t think Flowers showed enough to say that him being healthy would have made a significant improvement in the secondary. 

Also, I liked the JuJu pick but at the end of the day he was a rookie. I think even if the plan before things went of the rails was to have a CB room comprised of an unproven rookie and two late round/UDFA corners from small schools who were mainly STs players, then that wasn’t the best game plan. 

Id argue that running it back with Brents and Jones (while still not ideal) is a better game plan than last year’s.

The game plan last year was to play the kids and let them learn on the job.  The Colts made zero moves brining in some decent free agent that would’ve helped, even in the short term.   

So for example, the last game of the season vs Houston, Ballard could’ve signed TE Zack Ertz to help for a game or playoffs if the Colts had won.  We didn’t. 

The kids took their lumps and Ballard expects them to be better this year after making the expected year two jump. 

Just now, chad72 said:

I thought it was Brown, more of a special teamer being torched by Shaheed, playing because of injuries that was the primary reason we gave up big plays.

I think you are right! Kenny was hurt, Baker got benched?  They threw in Brown. Sorry Mr Baker for running your name through the mud. Thanks for calling me out on that Chad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dunk said:

I think you are right! Kenny was hurt, Baker got benched?  They threw in Brown. Sorry Mr Baker for running your name through the mud. Thanks for calling me out on that Chad.

Tony Brown, whose name will live in infamy, giving up 3 big chunk plays including a TD to Mr. Shaheed during our 3 game stretch of 35+ points avg. given up to Jaguars, Browns and Saints, yikes!!! :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Personally I think even with Flowers and Brents we still have one of the worst CB groups in the league.

They are both just guys

They may be “just guys” to you, but it would appear for now Brents is Ballard’s CB1.  He used pick 44 to draft Brents, so CB clearly sees a better player than you do. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

They may be “just guys” to you, but it would appear for now Brents is Ballard’s CB1.  He used pick 44 to draft Brents, so CB clearly sees a better player than you do. 

I know and I dont care.  We have not won much under him either tbh.  I can disagree with a gm and its not like his record here is that great

I could take or leave Chris Ballard at this point

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I know and I dont care.  We have not won much under him either tbh.  I can disagree with a gm and its not like his record here is that great

I could take or leave Chris Ballard at this point

Then leave.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As others have said, a improved pass rush will help immensely. Also confidence in them as a group to allow them to cover tighter on third down would go a long way to make me feel better about them.

If we don't sign a veteran CB, I'll be disappointed. I understand there were a lot of injuries to the secondary last year and you want to go with your guys, but a veteran on a one-year deal like Howard or Witherspoon would really help this secondary IMO. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Personally I think even with Flowers and Brents we still have one of the worst CB groups in the league.

They are both just guys

I do not look forward to seeing "Ballard's" # 1 CB Juju matched up with our top NFL #1's. They will tie Icabod in knots. Gus will be required to assign him deep help often, very often.

Something I noticed on ourlads for the Colts depth chart is that not only is Micah Abraham a CB on the depth chart from the draft, but so is Jaylin Simpson. If they have some information I don't, then maybe the Colts are planning to play Simpson at CB?

If so, then I think we might sign a FS instead.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I hope flowers gets his explosiveness back because we need more speed and explosiveness at the other outside corner. I wish we had more speed. I would take a guy like Rodger’s over a guy like jones every day of the week. 

Rodgers was holding his own before getting released. Releasing him had a bigger impact than a lot of people realize. He was a starting quality CB at times on the outside if needed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yoshinator said:

Something I noticed on ourlads for the Colts depth chart is that not only is Micah Abraham a CB on the depth chart from the draft, but so is Jaylin Simpson. If they have some information I don't, then maybe the Colts are planning to play Simpson at CB?

If so, then I think we might sign a FS instead.

I saw some highlights today of Simpson. He was on bowers during the Georgia game and did really well. From what I understand he may end up being Moore’s backup.  I do like Ballard went for guys with play making ability. Maybe we can get something like what we had with Rodger’s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1