Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Harrison Butker's shocking speech, Chiefs probably not going to 3 peat


chad72

Recommended Posts

 

https://apnews.com/article/kansas-city-chiefs-harrison-butker-e00f6ee45955c99ef1e809ec447239e0

 

This comes on the heels of the Rashee Rice incidents. There are a lot of cases where you don't say everything you think of, for a reason, especially as a public figure. There were so many things wrong with his speech. I will leave it at that.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

https://apnews.com/article/kansas-city-chiefs-harrison-butker-e00f6ee45955c99ef1e809ec447239e0

 

This comes on the heels of the Rashee Rice incidents. There are a lot of cases where you don't say everything you think of, for a reason, especially as a public figure. There were so many things wrong with his speech. I will leave it at that.

More fuel to my fire of my growing hate towards them. 

 

Pretty conflicting words considering who the growing majority of fans are (Swift followers). 

 

I'll never understand why women get so much hate for wanting to work and have careers. Why does it always have to be a one-size-fits-all approach with how people live their lives? 

 

Seems like the dude has a big ego for riding the coat-tails of Mahomes and Reid. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

More fuel to my fire of my growing hate towards them. 

 

Pretty conflicting words considering who the growing majority of fans are (Swift followers). 

 

I'll never understand why women get so much hate for wanting to work and have careers. Why does it always have to be a one-size-fits-all approach with how people live their lives? 

 

Seems like the dude has a big ego for riding the coat-tails of Mahomes and Reid. 

 

He made the speech about HIM and his ideologies, as opposed to what could be gained for the graduates of the college. Hence the fundamental premise was wrong. He will have to deal with the consequences of his words as there are several successful women in the NFL now with careers way longer than that of a kicker, just saying. 

 

Freedom Of Speech <> Freedom From Consequences

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

He made the speech about HIM and his ideologies, as opposed to what could be gained for the graduates of the college. Hence the fundamental premise was wrong. He will have to deal with the consequences of his words as there are several successful women in the NFL now with careers way longer than that of a kicker, just saying. 

 

Freedom Of Speech <> Freedom From Consequences

 

I read the article yesterday and hoped it would not be posted here, as this is likely to get a lot of emotional and angry replies. Hopefully, all comments will remain civil.

 

I believe Butker was speaking to a crowd that probably agreed with him. I had never heard of that college, but the school probably chose him for the speech because of his views :facepalm:. I wonder what the female students thought! Did they pay thousands of dollars to graduate with a degree in homemaking?? It makes no sense. He does not speak for all of us that share his religion. Anyway ...

 

I did attend a lovely commencement ceremony last Saturday. All the speakers were awesome, especially the valedictorian and Arthur Blank, an alum of the school. Their speeches were very positive and full of hope, encouragement and inspiration.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NFLfan said:

 

I read the article yesterday and hoped it would not be posted here, as this is likely to get a lot of emotional and angry replies. Hopefully, all comments will remain civil.

 

I believe Butker was speaking to a crowd that probably agreed with him. I had never heard of that college, but the school probably chose him for the speech because of his views which were :facepalm:. I wonder what the female students thought! Did they pay thousands of dollars to graduate with a degree in homemaking?? It makes no sense. He does not speak for all of us that share his religion. Anyway ...

 

I did attend a lovely commencement ceremony last Saturday. All the speakers were awesome, especially the valedictorian and Arthur Blank, an alum of the school. Their speeches were very positive and full of hope, encouragement and inspiration.

I'm also of the Catholic Faith, and I can say in my area we don't share the same views as this man or that college. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'm also of the Catholic Faith, and I can say in my area we don't share the same views as this man or that college. 

 

I attended Catholic school from third grade through high school. I certainly don't have those views. My mother is devout, but she would never say what he said.

 

I wonder how all these off-the-field matters/incidents will affect the Chiefs. Hopefully they distract them enough to allow another team to advance to the Super Bowl.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't agree with what Butker said, though I wouldn't call it shocking. He has a right to his beliefs, but shouldn't have made the speech so political. This wasn't the time for it, and it's best that he focused on the graduates rather than on himself and his thoughts. 

 

I hope that this and Rice's problems distract the Chiefs and that they don't make the Super Bowl. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

I attended Catholic school from third grade through high school. I certainly don't have those views. My mother is devout, but she would never say what he said.

 

I wonder how all these off-the-field matters/incidents will affect the Chiefs. Hopefully it distracts them enough to allow another team to advance to the Super Bowl.

Regardless of this Butker speech, I don't think KC is 3-Peating anyway. They should be favored but have history against them bigtime. Since the SB era began in 1966, no team has won 3 straight SBs. The Packers did win the 1st 2 SBs in 66/67 and won the NFL Championship in 1965 but that still isn't the same as winning 3 straight SBs. The 70s Steelers didn't 3-Peat, the 80's 49ers didn't 3-Peat, the 90's Cowboys didn't 3-Peat, and none of Tom Brady's Pats teams 3-Peated.

 

Also, the Chiefs won this last SB by the skin of their teeth, they got very lucky. The 49ers beat themselves more than anything. For my money, I like the Ravens again after they added Henry or possibly Cincy with a healthy Burrow to come out of the AFC. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I was in a relationship with a woman, I would be grateful and support it if she wanted to work and have a career like I do. Money wise it would be better giving us options on having a nicer house or cars for example. Then again, I am used to doing my own cooking, laundry, and cleaning, I don't need a woman for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are a lot of hateful comments about Butker on certain message boards. Some people think he should be cut from the team. Other players have had unpopular or questionable opinions  (Aaron Rodgers for example) and their team lets it pass. The Chiefs don't need to do anything, just concentrate on the games and let the situation work itself out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its not that shocking. Just another nitwit who cant stay off youtube. 

 

Its crazy that certain people cant stop themselves from attacking other people for their life choices while having zero knowledge of what even factored into those choices.

 

Also, most married women HAVE to work. Because they dont get paid a ridiculous amount of money to work 6 months a year and support our families with a luxurious lifestyle. Life aint cheap.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This guy's mother is a medical physicist at Emory University's School of Medicine. She has worked in their department of radiation oncology since 1988, which is before he was born. So, she was not solely a homemaker.

 

In the article below, he credits his mother with being his "biggest supporter" and with "guiding me to become the man I needed to become." So, despite his mother being a professional, she was still able to care for him. You would think that he would have shared that with the graduates during his commencement speech.

 

https://people.com/all-about-harrison-butker-parents-harrison-butker-sr-and-elizabeth-butker-8648933

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Lol good for him not hate here. But I also don't hate Aaron Rodgers. 

 

I don't think most of us that strongly disagree with him hate him but there were definitely a few things not worthy of opining in public in a commencement speech, at least IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

I don't think most of us that strongly disagree with him hate him but there were definitely a few things not worthy of opining in public in a commencement speech, at least IMO.

 

I agree. I don't believe anyone here has said that they hate him. I don't know him to hate him. He surely has the right to his opinion but so does everyone else.

 

What I find interesting is that many are quick to defend Butker's right to express his views, but those same individuals do not defend those who Butker is advocating of silencing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NFLfan said:

This guy's mother is a medical physicist at Emory University's School of Medicine. She has worked in their department of radiation oncology since 1988, which is before he was born. So, she was not solely a homemaker.

 

In the article below, he credits his mother with being his "biggest supporter" and with "guiding me to become the man I needed to become." So, despite his mother being a professional, she was still able to care for him. You would think that he would have shared that with the graduates during his commencement speech.

 

https://people.com/all-about-harrison-butker-parents-harrison-butker-sr-and-elizabeth-butker-8648933

There is a joke or two in this piece of information, but I would pass on making them ... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, stitches said:

There is a joke or two in this piece of information, but I would pass on making them ... 

 

Come on, 😂. What is it? That his mother made him the man he became?

 

I saw some posts about something at Georgia Tech but I don't think it is true and should not be posted here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

Come on, 😂. What is it? That his mother made him the man he became?

 

I saw some posts about something at Georgia Tech but I don't think it is true and should not be posted here.

Something like that, yeah... she wasn't following her vocation as a mother so he turned out like this... 

 

Also... on a more serious note, just how oblivious and lacking in any sort of self-awareness do you have to be having grown up in a comfortable family situation partly because of your mom's succesful career only to turn and tell other women they should stay in the kitchen. 

 

I mean... not that we didn't know he lacks any self awareness... how do you make commencement address and and essentially tell half the attendies - "those 4 years you just spent studying and preparing for a career... that's all cute and stuff but you know what you should really do ... "

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Something like that, yeah... she wasn't following her vocation as a mother so he turned out like this... 

 

Also... on a more serious note, just how oblivious and lacking in any sort of self-awareness do you have to be having grown up in a comfortable family situation partly because of your mom's succesful career only to turn and tell other women they should stay in the kitchen. 

 

I mean... not that we didn't know he lacks any self awareness... how do you make commencement address and and essentially tell half the attendies - "those 4 years you just spent studying and preparing for a career... that's all cute and stuff but you know what you should really do ... "

 

Exactly. It is mind-boggling. He never bothered to mention that his mother is a woman with a career. Instead, he talked about his wife whose "life truly started" when she became a wife and mother. He does not have enough self-awareness to note that unlike his wife, those women at the graduation will not be married to a millionaire athlete and likely will need to earn a living by working.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Listen to the full speech, not a 10 second snippet.

 

There is a reason why a kicker was chosen to speak at graduation for the school and why he received a standing ovation.

 

I did listen. He got a standing ovation because the folks there agree with him. But some students commented later and did not agree with him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2024 at 6:48 AM, chad72 said:

 

https://apnews.com/article/kansas-city-chiefs-harrison-butker-e00f6ee45955c99ef1e809ec447239e0

 

This comes on the heels of the Rashee Rice incidents. There are a lot of cases where you don't say everything you think of, for a reason, especially as a public figure. There were so many things wrong with his speech. I will leave it at that.


I think it’s a little early to say the Chiefs probably won’t 3-peat.   I agree, so far most everything that could go wrong has gone wrong.   
 

But as long as Andy Reid is the HC head coach and Mahomes is their quarterback the Chiefs still have a decent chance.   
 

As for Butker….   He’s entitled to his views just as I’m entitled to agree with NONE of them.    He’s going to get more pushback than he imagines.  Including from his own team and even the NFL office.   Yikes! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course, I'm never compelled to instantly share my opinion on such matters of whether he is right or wrong...since nobody cares what anybody's opinion is.  I look at it from the perspective of an objective observer of how controversies get started and how the NFL gets involved.

 

I believe Butker is guilty of giving a speech to a Christian based college that speaks to traditional values..  Go figure...maybe he tailored the speech to his audience and not the general public?  But the fact that he said it with a microphone meant it got picked up by the general public, and so now it must be shouted down by those who probably chose to not attend a Christian college to begin with.  Weird that they feel compelled to get involved.

 

If I read his words correctly, what Butker actually said (to women in a Christian college) is that most of you will choose to get married and have kids,  And that when you do, that should be the most important thing in your life.  He then praised his wife for how she chose to do it.  Not much different than Lou Holtz telling men that when you become a father, the most important thing is to show your children's mother how much you love her.  

 

Wow, what controversy, what extremism.  That it might be okay to be devoted ONLY to your family and God, and to choose to not be devoted to an Employer and the correct Social Narratives.

 

I think if the NFL says anything, it should support its player against attacks by those who simply disagree with an opinion, instead of taking sides in the opinion.   After all, Butker was not wearing an NFL uniform, or representing the NFL in any capacity...and it pretty obvious he wasn't.   I guess the NFL is still scared of potential shakedowns and must quickly issue a statement telling the public how much they are on the correct side of things in case there is the slightest hint that silence implies they aren't. 

 

But its interesting to see that Butker's Jersey sales have increased dramatically.  Maybe the NFL should donate the money to women's causes since it can't possibly want to be tainted with money from such horrible and unpopular ideas.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, NFLfan said:

 

I agree. I don't believe anyone here has said that they hate him. I don't know him to hate him. He surely has the right to his opinion but so does everyone else.

 

What I find interesting is that many are quick to defend Butker's right to express his views, but those same individuals do not defend those who Butker is advocating of silencing.

That's the key concept. For the people calling for him to be cut, it's not enough to simply disagree with him. It's not enough to fight bad ideas with better ideas. They must also destroy his career. I don't agree with his views, but at the same time, I don't want to see him cut because I think that rewards the extremists who want to subject everyone to an ideological purity test as a precondition for participation in society. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Of course, I'm never compelled to instantly share my opinion on such matters of whether he is right or wrong...since nobody cares what anybody's opinion is.  I look at it from the perspective of an objective observer of how controversies get started and how the NFL gets involved.

 

I believe Butker is guilty of giving a speech to a Christian based college that speaks to traditional values..  Go figure...maybe he tailored the speech to his audience and not the general public?  But the fact that he said it with a microphone meant it got picked up by the general public, and so now it must be shouted down by those who probably chose to not attend a Christian college to begin with.  Weird that they feel compelled to get involved.

 

If I read his words correctly, what Butker actually said (to women in a Christian college) is that most of you will choose to get married and have kids,  And that when you do, that should be the most important thing in your life.  He then praised his wife for how she chose to do it.  Not much different than Lou Holtz telling men that when you become a father, the most important thing is to show your children's mother how much you love her.  

 

Wow, what controversy, what extremism.  That it might be okay to be devoted ONLY to your family and God, and to choose to not be devoted to an Employer and the correct Social Narratives.

 

I think if the NFL says anything, it should support its player against attacks by those who simply disagree with an opinion, instead of taking sides in the opinion.   After all, Butker was not wearing an NFL uniform, or representing the NFL in any capacity...and it pretty obvious he wasn't.   I guess the NFL is still scared of potential shakedowns and must quickly issue a statement telling the public how much they are on the correct side of things in case there is the slightest hint that silence implies they aren't. 

 

But its interesting to see that Butker's Jersey sales have increased dramatically.  Maybe the NFL should donate the money to women's causes since it can't possibly want to be tainted with money from such horrible and unpopular ideas.

My stance will always be: 

 

Why is it anyone else's business what anyone does? 

 

Want to get married and have kids? Great! No one should care. 

 

Want to have a career? Great! No one should care. 

 

Maybe want to have both a career and a family? Great! No one should care.

 

I see so many people get upset over someone else's choices in life, and it confuses me as to why it should matter. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

My stance will always be: 

 

Why is it anyone else's business what anyone does? 

 

Want to get married and have kids? Great! No one should care. 

 

Want to have a career? Great! No one should care. 

 

Maybe want to have both a career and a family? Great! No one should care.

 

I see so many people get upset over someone else's choices in life, and it confuses me as to why it should matter. 

I am pretty much like this as well. People are going to say whatever they want, people are going to have their own beliefs. That is life in a nutshell. As long as someone beliefs doesn't turn into violence or hurt anyone, I am fine with whatever. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, masterlock said:

That's the key concept. For the people calling for him to be cut, it's not enough to simply disagree with him. It's not enough to fight bad ideas with better ideas. They must also destroy his career. I don't agree with his views, but at the same time, I don't want to see him cut because I think that rewards the extremists who want to subject everyone to an ideological purity test as a precondition for participation in society. 

 

I don't think he should be cut for this.  But I have the right to disagree and to state that I disagree with him. I also would not want him to be my daughter's teacher, husband or father.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

My stance will always be: 

 

Why is it anyone else's business what anyone does? 

 

Want to get married and have kids? Great! No one should care. 

 

Want to have a career? Great! No one should care. 

 

Maybe want to have both a career and a family? Great! No one should care.

 

I see so many people get upset over someone else's choices in life, and it confuses me as to why it should matter. 

 

Great post.  That is also my stance. People spend so much time judging other peoples' life choices. I always ask, "What is it to you?" Why does it matter what career others choose, whether they marry or not, who or when they choose to marry, whether or not they have children, etc. Everyone should have the right to do what they want with their own lives.

 

Life is what you make it. Let others live their lives as they choose.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

Great post.  That is also my stance. People spend so much time judging other peoples' life choices. I always ask, "What is it to you?" Why does it matter what career others choose, whether they marry or not, who or when they choose to marry, whether or not they have children, etc. Everyone should have the right to do what they want with their own lives.

 

Life is what you make it. Let others live their lives as they choose.

I agreed with RollerColt as well. See above. I don't necessarily agree with Butker's takes but for people on twitter and facebook protesting that he should be cut over a few words is ridiculous and childish. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agreed with RollerColt as well. See above. I don't necessarily agree with Butker's takes but for people on twitter and facebook protesting that he should be cut over a few words is ridiculous and childish. 

I always go back to Full Metal Jacket lmao...

 

"Here you are all equally worthless!"

 

Sometimes as humans we take ourselves way too seriously as if we're way more important than we really are. Being a history teacher, I have come realize that most of us are not destined for "greatness". We won't be remembered in just a few generations' time. While some may consider that sad, I try to view it as liberating. I can do what I want with the time given to me to find my own happiness. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I always go back to Full Metal Jacket lmao...

 

"Here you are all equally worthless!"

 

Sometimes as humans we take ourselves way too seriously as if we're way more important than we really are. Being a history teacher, I have come realize that most of us are not destined for "greatness". We won't be remembered in just a few generations' time. While some may consider that sad, I try to view it as liberating. I can do what I want with the time given to me to find my own happiness. 

You sure about that Private Pyle! You Will Not Cry Full Metal Jacket GIFFull Metal Jacket GIF

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

My stance will always be: 

 

Why is it anyone else's business what anyone does? 

 

Want to get married and have kids? Great! No one should care. 

 

Want to have a career? Great! No one should care. 

 

Maybe want to have both a career and a family? Great! No one should care.

 

I see so many people get upset over someone else's choices in life, and it confuses me as to why it should matter. 

I agree.  Butker wasn't saying what women should do...but was predicting what most in the Christian audience would CHOOSE to do.. but the critics are making up a strawman like he said something broader,

 

I assume because it conflicts with their own ideology or narratives  Why else misread Butkers comments as extreme, then shoot them down, unless it's really about their own ideology?

 

I grew up in the 1970's, the heart of the women's lib movement, and I witnessed first hand all sorts of bullying of girls who simply wanted to follow in their mother's foot steps, but were constantly berated by the social culture at the time about how to be "so much more"...as defined by going to college and having a career.  They were told it was fine of course, but in the condescending words "if all you want to do is to be a Becky-Homecky,....". 

 

So yeah, to the extent that he and the group he was speaking to puts family and god ahead of employment, I can see where those promoting an opposing narrative would have a problem with it.  The critics are not as tolerant as you.  

 

I have no idea why the NFL needed to say anything.  They seem to also believe that if you don't promote the correct narrative when given the opportunity to do so, then their allegiance to that narrative might be questioned.  

 

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agreed with RollerColt as well. See above. I don't necessarily agree with Butker's takes but for people on twitter and facebook protesting that he should be cut over a few words is ridiculous and childish. 

 

Okay. I agree. He should not lose his job. I am consistent when I say this.  I don't think any player should lose their job for something they have said or written. I said the same about Josh Allen, Jake Fromm, Kaepernick and many others.

 

Many here who are saying Butker should not lose his job did not say the same about other players who chose to make comments that were unpopular or controversial.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

Okay. I agree. He should not lose his job. I am consistent when I say this.  I don't think any player should lose their job for something they have said or written. I said the same about Josh Allen, Jake Fromm, Kaepernick and many others.

 

Many here who are saying Butker should not lose his job did not say the same about other players who chose to make comments that were unpopular or controversial.

Fair enough. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am a firm believer in free speech even though I may not agree with all peoples opinions. I certainly agree women have a right to have children and still participate in the work place. I do however would like for them to have their children placed in a safe environment. Personally my wife did not work and was home to raise my children which was our desire but certainly respect those who's wife though choice or necessity works outside the home. I do believe strongly in one thing he alluded to and that the country would be in better shape if children had strong fathers. 

 I would be shocked and disappointed if the NFL or the Chiefs decided to suspend him. Many are still in the league who in my opinion have done much worse.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...