Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is Chris Ballard MOST LIKELY to do in the 1st Round of the 2024 NFL Draft?

What is Chris Ballard MOST LIKELY to do in the 1st Round of the 2024 Draft?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What is Chris Ballard MOST LIKELY to do in the 1st Round of the 2024 NFL Draft?

• Trade up for Marvin Harrison Jr
    • Initiate a trade back and acquire more draft picks
    • Stand pat and select at #15
    • Accept another team's offer to move in to the #15 slot

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/26/2024 at 12:02 PM

I think he'll stand pat at 15 - where multiple playmakers may be available - due to a lack of QB depth in this draft.

My hope would be that TE Brock Bowers drops to the Colts & they sprint to the podium to get the pick in. 

• Like 2

On 4/19/2024 at 4:35 AM, w87r said:

Trade back with Philly, since Isaiah Rodgers suspension wasn't lifted with the other guys today. Whatever that's about? Maybe the league looked at how the NBA handled Porter's gambling and are reevaluating Rodgers? Idk, probably not but seems weird he didn't get removed from suspension list.

They might need to come up and get a CB.

Thoughts I heard something about Jaguars trading up. Turned out to be just a bunch of hot air.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Lol.

He couldn't help himself either :D 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Sean McVay started out as an analyst 

He's been asked and said hes never touched Madden.  I dont think i can buy that someone will credit Madden as any significant reason for landing a head coaching job.  Not something a billionaire would bring up in an interview.

27 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

He's been asked and said hes never touched Madden.  I dont think i can buy that someone will credit Madden as any significant reason for landing a head coaching job.  Not something a billionaire would bring up in an interview.

Guy :  "Sir,  I won back to back world championships in Madden"

Owner:  "How did you get into my house?"

• Like 2

The Detroit Lions already did something similar hiring Matt Millen as GM. I believe he was a TV analyst. I also think the Raiders did that with Mayock or whatever his name was. I know that time in Detroit was super rough and the Raiders under Gruden weren’t successful either. Not sure if either had a background in coaching or the front office before.  I highly doubt Madden will ever land anyone a job with an NFL team.  It just not close enough to translate to the real world dealing with humans. Similar to me being a guitar player and everyone wanting to see how good I was at Guitar Hero. Nothing about that game was for musicians…it was for normal people to pretend they were musicians. Just like madden is for everyday people to play GM.  It’s a game. 

7 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

I feel at some point, someone will take a chance on someone who is famous in the football world among fans and give them a shot at the big time.

Jeff_Saturday_2022_(cropped).jpg

• Like 4

I just don’t think trading back makes sense, with the amount of cash the colts have plus a rookie quarterback. At some point Chris Ballard has to change his game.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

"I do think there is a shot he's there at 15..." 

Well, that really narrows down folks. I'm pretty confident I know who "he" is. I'll let you know late Thursday night, alright?

I don't think it really means anything.

I just think it is a good troll job by Chris.

It was a great cliff hanger, they could've been talking about some one that would clearly be there at #15 BTJ, Kool-Aid or something.

Doesn't have to be a guy we are thinking about trading up for.

Like I said I just think it was a great troll job by Ballard to leave it out there like that.

Provokes conversations.

34 minutes ago, Moe said:

I just don’t think trading back makes sense, with the amount of cash the colts have plus a rookie quarterback. At some point Chris Ballard has to change his game.

I agree. Unless it's to a range in the 1st round that they have equal ratings on multiple players, where they are confident they are getting one of them plus whatever compensation. That generally means whoever they have their eyes on in a separate tier is off the board. 

If AR develops into a longterm franchise solution (the sooner the better,) then I see the next 3-5 drafts being incredibly important to bringing in foundation guys that step into the major leadership roles that the current ones will be retiring from (or moving on). Once that rookie contract is up, the first few years of a new massive deal requires a solid core in place. That means hitting on picks now and for the next several years. 

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

It was a great cliff hanger, they could've been talking about some one that would clearly be there at #15 BTJ, Kool-Aid or something.

Like I said I just think it was a great troll job by Ballard to leave it out there like that.

Provokes conversations.

I would put money on us not trading up. So I wasn't really thinking that. I think they have their eyes on a certain player that might be there at 15, but not necessarily willing to trade up for because of the alternative options. 

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

I would put money on us not trading up. So I wasn't really thinking that. I think they have their eyes on a certain player that might be there at 15, but not necessarily willing to trade up for because of the alternative options. 

Yeah, I know you weren't thinking that, just some other post in the other thread were trying to say something like that.

I'm not reading too much into it, thought it was interesting at first, but just think it was a perfect way to leave it and Ballard nailed that.

Can get people talking on all sides of it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

"I do think there is a shot he's there at 15..." 

Well, that really narrows down folks. I'm pretty confident I know who "he" is. I'll let you know late Thursday night, alright?

I think I know who “he” is as well.  I think it’s either Bowers or Nabors.  Just guessing of course but what happens if that player is picked before 15.  Then what?  There is another course of action no one has brought up.  We trade the pick to the 49er’s for Aiyuk.  We have the cap space to absorb his 14m cap hit.  He’s a star receiver who is one year younger than Pittman.  There is no rookie learning curve to deal with.  He would step in and produce immediately.  Of course you’re not getting the rookie contract but the trade off is a proven veteran.  Plan A is Nabors or Bowers.  Plan B is Aiyuk.  You still have all your remaining picks.  If he wants to get explosive on offense Aiyuk would definitely do that.  I wouldn’t rule it out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think I know who “he” is as well.  I think it’s either Bowers or Nabors.  Just guessing of course but what happens if that player is picked before 15.  Then what?  There is another course of action no one has brought up.  We trade the pick to the 49er’s for Aiyuk.  We have the cap space to absorb his 14m cap hit.  He’s a star receiver who is one year younger than Pittman.  There is no rookie learning curve to deal with.  He would step in and produce immediately.  Of course you’re not getting the rookie contract but the trade off is a proven veteran.  Plan A is Nabors or Bowers.  Plan B is Aiyuk.  You still have all your remaining picks.  If he wants to get explosive on offense Aiyuk would definitely do that.  I wouldn’t rule it out.

I saw an article today with that scenario. 

could be on the table. He has a history of trading with them with that range of pick. Although I’m not sure I see it with the talent at receiver this draft. It just depends on how they view the rest of the class left. Especially in day 2. 

I don’t like making predictions or hopes, but if Bowers is there, I kind of want to see  them take him and double up on a receiver at 46. That gives a day 2 option at corner or safety at 81 and then using 117 and 151 as interior line and whatever else (coverage linebacker ideally) to round the top 150 out. If I were a betting man, I would put money on us not drafting a linebacker until late and potentially using those last two picks both on linebackers. 

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Provokes conversations.

Agreed, Ballard loves trolling us fans and I think this is exactly what he’s trying to do with that statement. He mentions multiple times through his career he loves messing with the fans and loves seeing twitter blow up from what he says. He messes with us because he knows we feed right into it!

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Provokes conversations.

I don't think it was a troll job at all. Chris Ballard isn't producing or editing these videos. I'm sure he has some final say over them before they get published, but I doubt it was his call to end the video that way. I think he was making a sincere comment about a player during a discussion in the draft room. And for all we know it was weeks ago, and it's probably a stretch to connect it to anything he said in his presser the other day.

Why it's interesting to me is that it makes me think maybe there's a player that the Colts would love to draft at #15, and rather than trading down, they'd take him if he's still there. 

I also don't think Ballard plays games with his pressers or other commentary. He was in a mood the other day, and toyed with the press room a little bit, but that was obvious. I think his comments about being open to trade back + having 19-21 first round grades was a signal to everyone that he's open to making a deal, but then again, he said he talks to GMs around the league anyway so there's no need to sneak in a reference. Ultimately, I think he's careful about what he says, but he's also not trying to mislead anyone. I think when he tells us what he wants to do and what's important to him, he means it, and it's generally what he winds up doing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't think it was a troll job at all. Chris Ballard isn't producing or editing these videos. I'm sure he has some final say over them before they get published, but I doubt it was his call to end the video that way. I think he was making a sincere comment about a player during a discussion in the draft room. And for all we know it was weeks ago, and it's probably a stretch to connect it to anything he said in his presser the other day.

Why it's interesting to me is that it makes me think maybe there's a player that the Colts would love to draft at #15, and rather than trading down, they'd take him if he's still there. 

I also don't think Ballard plays games with his pressers or other commentary. He was in a mood the other day, and toyed with the press room a little bit, but that was obvious. I think his comments about being open to trade back + having 19-21 first round grades was a signal to everyone that he's open to making a deal, but then again, he said he talks to GMs around the league anyway so there's no need to sneak in a reference. Ultimately, I think he's careful about what he says, but he's also not trying to mislead anyone. I think when he tells us what he wants to do and what's important to him, he means it, and it's generally what he winds up doing.

Idk?

I think Ballard has a lot more control on how this is disseminated than you are giving him(not that you're really short sell him that much). I'm sure he has final approval, this isn't like the in season NFL hard knock thing.(Which we still controlled what was put out there) This is a team made draft video to get fans hyped.

It did the job for me

I do agree that, that was just a random comment about a guy(being there at #15) they were actually generally talking about in natural conversations and the sound bite was used there. I don't think it was just a comment made to place at the end intentionally. Whether that guy might be there, or is someone who should no doubt be there is the question, and what should we take from it ending that way 

And it might not of even been his idea to put that at the end, but when presented how to end it, agreed this is the best way to get the fans talking about it.

Either way it was a great cliff hanger. Like I said it brought about some conversation, so I think it did it's part.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, w87r said:

Idk?

I think Ballard has a lot more control on how this is disseminated than you are giving him(not that you're really short sell him that much). I'm sure he has final approval, this isn't like the in season NFL hard knock thing.(Which we still controlled what was put out there) This is a team made draft video to get fans hyped.

It did the job for me

I do agree that, that was just a random comment about a guy(being there at #15) they were actually generally talking about in natural conversations and the sound bite was used there. I don't think it was just a comment made to place at the end intentionally. Whether that guy might be there, or is someone who should no doubt be there is the question, and what should we take from it ending that way 

And it might not of even been his idea to put that at the end, but when presented how to end it, agreed this is the best way to get the fans talking about it.

Either way it was a great cliff hanger. Like I said it brought about some conversation, so I think it did it's part.

These videos are part of the team’s psychological operations campaign.  Nothing more.

14 hours ago, richard pallo said:

In some simulators I've ran, Bowers is taken before #15, but Odunze is available for us. While I highly doubt this will happen, the situations that unfolded in the simulations did seem highly possible. Crazier things have happened. Having 4 pass catchers taken in the first 14 picks would be unusual. Is this year viewed like 2004? I also wonder if the amazing depth of the WR position in this draft will push some WRs down. The top 3 guys are likely immune to that, but you never know. You can draft an immediate impact WR in rounds 2-4 this year.

I will play this game, but I know what he should do. He should trade up to 4 with Arizona and draft Marvin. What will he do is the topic and I have a sick feeling he is going to trade back, so I voted that. I will still stick to my guns, trading next year's 1st round pick and next year's 2nd round pick + this year's 15th to get that 4 this year isn't giving up the future and it makes us go from a 9-8 team to an 11-6 team. Disagree with me all you want, that's fine but this is my opinion. He would give us a huge deep threat and just a generational WR to go with Pittman and Downs, with Taylor running the Ball. AR would have a dangerous team then. Our O.Line played good last year for the most part as well. With Ogletree back in the mix, he and Granson both are good enough at TE.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Trade second for aiyuk and go cb in first

While I agree that having Marv Jr would have such an impact, I none the less contend that we could potentially get an equally impactful player without having to give up the boatload.  I think Bowers could be just as (if not more) impactful to our team right away than Marv Jr. would.  Probably Nabers too. 

A lot of smoke starting around the Texas DT as a surprise pick for us at 15, as he is a top 10 talent that is projected around 15. I wouldn't hate it so long as the aforementioned are already off the board. 

7 hours ago, w87r said:

Idk?

It did the job for me

I agree that the intention of the production is to get fans hyped and get people talking, and that obviously works. But that's a high level directive for the production in general, all of the videos they're doing.

I assume that Ballard's direct input on each video is pretty limited, though. Broad strokes, sure. Final approval, definitely. They want to make sure it's compliant, and with how controlling, paranoid and risk-averse NFL GMs and coaches are, I would expect that he watches the final edit himself before it goes live. I think some editorial decisions are made with Ballard's input, maybe at his direction, like the decision to focus on members of the staff and let them show their personalities, etc. Cameras would not be allowed in the draft room without his blessing. But beyond that, I would think that the media team does the rest, within whatever parameters the decision makers have agreed to, and then the result is the media team's creation. 

That's obviously JMO, I don't have anymore insight than anyone else. But I think the credit for the hype and production really goes to the media team.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I once said a trade up to get that guy but i think the top D players will be off the board by the time the Colts pick. I know a lot of people here are thinking wr but if you really listen to Ballard,  he feels that Richardson is going to bring explosive plays to the offense. I really think they are going to trade back and try to get a 3rd or even another 2nd. Could see a scenario of FS, corner and wr with first 3 picks

From Stampede Blue:

Without further ado, here it is, the list of 14 names that this article will forever be judged on:

Xavier Worthy WR Texas

Brian Thomas Jr. WR LSU

Cam Hart CB Notre Dame

Edefuan Ulofoshio LB Washington

Dominique Hampton Safety Washington

Malik Nabers WR LSU

Adisa Isaac DE Penn State

Trevin Wallace LB Kentucky

Myles Cole DE Texas Tech

Decamerion Richardson CB Mississippi State

Jordan Magee LB Temple

Beaux Limmer C Arkansas

Mark Perry Safety TCU

Tyrone Tracey Jr. RB Purdue

THE Bonus List

Edgerrin Cooper LB Texas A&M

Max Melton CB Rutgers

Isaac Guerendo RB Louisville

Mason McCormick OL South Dakota State

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I think Nabors is the only one that will absolutely not happen

I don't know if he gets past the Giants, but if he falls to pick 8, Atlanta apparently wants to move down.

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I think Nabors is the only one that will absolutely not happen

He applies some logic to including Nabers. He had previously eliminated him, but Nabers meeting with the Colts, plus recent reports about his attitude and concerns about his shoulder are fueling speculation that maybe he drops to #9 or somewhere around there, and then maybe the Colts would move up for him.

I think Nabers could drop, #9 is kind of far but I suppose it's possible. Him dropping to #15 seems very unlikely. What's even less likely is that the Colts would move up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2024 at 9:45 PM, w87r said:

Provokes conversations.

The thing about Ballard tho, is that he says stuff every year in a cryptic way but he always ends up meaning and doing exactly what he said. I can't think of one time where he said something and did the opposite.

On 4/19/2024 at 10:22 AM, Solid84 said:

I think we stay at 15 if Bowers is there. I HOPE we stay at 15 if Laiatu Latu and/or Dallas Turner are there. But, I think it's most likely we trade back a few spots and hope we can land Brian Thomas Jr.

Good call on your EDGE guesses.  But wouldn't Turner have been our better pick?  Are you comfortable with Latu? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisfarley said:

Good call on your EDGE guesses.  But wouldn't Turner have been our better pick?  Are you comfortable with Latu? 

Latu is the #1 DE in the draft in my opinion. He's a technician like none of the others will ever be. Turner has had almost all of his snaps at OLB and probably fits that role better. I'm extremely happy with this pick.

• Like 4