Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Pelissero] Teams are eyeing Colts defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus as a potential head coaching candidate

James

8 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

It's all part of the game, but maybe he'll stay instead of making that leap after just one year as a DC.  He may want to see this through and gain more experience.

It depends on the team too. If a team like the Packers come calling, it would be different than a team like the Jaguars or Redskins with suspect QB play. I do think a marquee QB is a big factor for a lot of first time head coaches. Browns would definitely make it interesting.

Broncos and Bucs, it is a toss up, IMO, but Elway probably would go with a proven coach than a former DC, which he did with Vance Joseph, he probably hires Mike McCarthy, IMO, to pair him up with an experienced QB. Bucs - Fitzpatrick or Winston, no one knows what the future holds.

The only teams that might make Eberflus leave, IMO, are the Packers or Browns.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

The only teams that might make Eberflus leave, IMO, are the Packers or Browns.

And I would think they will almost certainly hire offensive minded HC's. There's been a lot of chatter already for McDaniels to GB and McCarthy to the Browns so we'll see how it shakes out.

Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

And I would think they will almost certainly hire offensive minded HC's. There's been a lot of chatter already for McDaniels to GB and McCarthy to the Browns so we'll see how it shakes out.

Plus, when he sees how well the organization is run and the chemistry with the coaches and players that he enjoys, he will take all that into consideration too and realize the grass is not always greener on the other side. If I am Irsay or Ballard, I'd bump his salary right away after the season ends.

The beauty of all this is that this is Chris Ballard's defense. He brought Eberflus specifically for this defense. The next guy will be very similar and likely have similar success. The other beauty is that Frank is the head coach and going nowhere. THAT is what this team needed. An offensive coach that Andrew can finish a long career with. The defense is a system and will plug and play anyone with talent/speed and any coach that can coach it up...

• Like 1

Less than one season and now he's HC material? There's going to be some really bad coaching hires if this trend of trying to find "the next McVay" or whomever holds. I guess it's a better move than going a decade in on a has been like Gruden but this seems a bit premature on Eberflus and where's Jim Bob Cooter? That guy needs a better gig before the Lions ruin his good/awesome name.

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

If any team hires McDaniels they deserve whatever happens to them. How he even gets considered after that debacle is beyond me. Imagine if he was pur head coach.. so glad he has no integrity Reich has been great.

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

Is my head in the sand on this? It's hard to see any team hiring Eberflus right now. Maybe I'm being willfully ignorant.

After googling "potential NFL head coaches" and seeing various unimpressive lists, I wouldn't be shocked if Eberflus lands a gig.

• Like 1