Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Pelissero] Teams are eyeing Colts defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus as a potential head coaching candidate

James

Yeah. He’s doing a great job so far, but I think teams are just doing homework and studying him for future references, kinda like Ballard does with his binder/journal/notebook.

Pretty microscopic chance he’s offered a head coaching spot this offseason, but a few years down the line something could play out depending on how we perform. 

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Is my head in the sand on this? It's hard to see any team hiring Eberflus right now. Maybe I'm being willfully ignorant.

I think it’s a little premature yet, but you also have to stop and think about some of the owners in this league who are a little less than sound where decision making is concerned. 

Looking at you, Jimmy Haslem. 

I don’t see him getting a job this year (some interviews maybe. He’s very well respected as a coach and as an individual in the league) but if we’re one our way to an 11+ win season next season like it looks like we could be I could definitely see it happening. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrLuck said:

If any team hires McDaniels they deserve whatever happens to them. How he even gets considered after that debacle is beyond me. Imagine if he was pur head coach.. so glad he has no integrity Reich has been great.

Agree. I was ill when I heard he was getting the job. Thank God he stayed with NE.

14 hours ago, Superman said:

Is my head in the sand on this? It's hard to see any team hiring Eberflus right now. Maybe I'm being willfully ignorant.

A lot of it comes down to connections and relationships. It seems like he's got a ton of fans in the league thanks to his no-nonsense attitude. He also has some serious pedigree and comes recommended by people that are almost universally respected in the league(Rod Marinelli, Mangini). 

I don't think it's likely that he gets a gig in the league right now, but I also don't think it's impossible. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if he got some interviews and he probably will take them even if he doesn't think he will get the job right now. 

52 minutes ago, stitches said:

A lot of it comes down to connections and relationships. It seems like he's got a ton of fans in the league thanks to his no-nonsense attitude. He also has some serious pedigree and comes recommended by people that are almost universally respected in the league(Rod Marinelli, Mangini). 

I don't think it's likely that he gets a gig in the league right now, but I also don't think it's impossible. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if he got some interviews and he probably will take them even if he doesn't think he will get the job right now. 

Those good ol' 'no-nonsense' guys like Marinelli and Mangini didn't work out too well. Zimmer has had mixed results, and struggled to get a gig in the first place, partly due to that attitude. 

He should absolutely take interviews, though. If for no other reason, it helps with his professional development. I believe coaching candidates in the league's development program get feedback from the league as well, which helps them for future openings.

• Like 1

Just because there's talk about teams looking at him, it doesn't mean He's looking to go elsewhere.  

I'd like to think he's happy here with this team finally coming together with the prospect of a great future in the coming years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, conklincolt said:

why would he even what to leave. He has good paying job here with the colts and A good team, very little pressure, very nice safe city. Why go somewhere else and lose?? He will and should stay if he is really smart.

Most coordinators and position coaches want to be a head coach at some point.    

5 minutes ago, conklincolt said:

why would he even what to leave. He has good paying job here with the colts and A good team, very little pressure, very nice safe city. Why go somewhere else and lose?? He will and should stay if he is really smart.

Being a head coach is the ultimate accomplishment for an NFL coach.

His pay would probably increase by 500-600%.

Why would he leave? The same reasons every assistant coach leaves for a bigger job. The same reasons he left Dallas. 

???

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Superman said:

Being a head coach is the ultimate accomplishment for an NFL coach.

His pay would probably increase by 500-600%.

Why would he leave? The same reasons every assistant coach leaves for a bigger job. The same reasons he left Dallas. 

???

Makes you wonder exactly what Kraft did to keep McDaniels and get him to turn all that down...

On 12/17/2018 at 4:48 PM, jmac_48 said:

Elevate him to asst. head coach and give him more money, might hold off the vultures for a year or two.

He wouldn’t allow Marinelli to do that for him this season in Dallas. No way he would do that to the ‘next’ Colts DC either.

On 12/17/2018 at 5:38 PM, Luck 4 president said:

It will be hard to make him stay if he gets an offer. What this does show is that Ballard is ahead of the game. Eberflus was Ballard’s guy not McDaniels’. He’s always scouting other coaches around the league in case this does happen. 

This is is not completely true. Ballard had to call up Eberflus and reassure him the Colts would honor their commitment when McDaniels backed out. Sure, Ballard and Eberflus talked... but it was because McDaniels had verbally committed to HC the Colts and wanted Matt as DC.  It just happens that Defense was a specialty of Ballard’s with the Bears.  It’s not just Ballard D...

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article194760909.html

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

One of the great things about the way the Colts are structured, is the offense is Reich's and the defense is Ballard's. Neither are going anywhere.

See above. I’d call it symbiotic if anything. Also, who is the Cover 2 coaching guru that could replace Eberflus should he depart?

35 minutes ago, conklincolt said:

Answered by others. There are only 32 of those jobs, and seemingly only between 6~12 of them open up in any given year.  Pay is a massive increase, as is prestige and control. Most coaches have that as the pinnacle of their career.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Makes you wonder exactly what Kraft did to keep McDaniels and get him to turn all that down...

McDaniels is a different story, IMO. He already left and failed, earned a bad reputation along the way, and has been working to prepare himself for another opportunity along the way. He's turned down several opportunities to interview, withdrawn himself from consideration for other jobs, etc. He had to crawl back to New England to have success, so he knows his next move better work out.

He's also been in New England for several years, and has a young family that he's raising there. Eberflus just got to the Colts, he doesn't have those roots in Indy.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

McDaniels may have been just looking for a way out and Kraft gave him one.  Listening to mike Lombardi, who knows McDaniels fairly well it sounds like, is convinced Mcdaniels doesn't really want to be a HC.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Sure, but the pool of candidates is rather ho hum.

It depends. 

There are two big names that might or might not come available, and they look like they'd be perfect for the two highest profile openings. Lincoln Riley to the Browns, Jim Harbaugh to the Packers. Could be nonsense, but there's noise about both of them.

On 12/18/2018 at 12:35 PM, lollygagger8 said:

If Colts go deep into the playoffs, I can see it happening (unfortunately). Teams have made plenty of worse hires that's for sure. 

I reeeeeeeeeeeally hope he doesn't leave just yet though. 

I’d have thought going deep in the playoffs would help as teams would have to wait to interview? 

Then again I’m sure Arians was gone prior to the Ravens playoff game.

3 hours ago, coltsva said:

BB is retiring after this year....?

Maybe but whoever  follows hoodie will be under a microscope from the get go and the heat from the pressure will be hotter than hades the moment things go wrong and losses pile up. Pats are an old team right now, Gronk, Brady and many others could be in their final year or two. 

• Like 1

It will suck if the Colts lose Eberflus after just one season.

It's also inevitable that the Colts will lose key coaches and front office personnel if they have the type of success we all hope for.

The ability to continue to hire good assistant coaches/scouts is probably the most overlooked but most important aspect of Ballard's/Reich's jobs. Hopefully they don't have to after just one year though.