Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Building a culture/locker room a fools errand?/ Culture of underachievement (merge)

Fat Clemenza

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, growing up as a soccer fan in a city, where the team means almost everything that counts to a lot of people, it's not understandable how you can quit being a fan.

For me, it's a thing of heart, not the head. 

I couldn't stop being a fan of one of my teams in soccer or football. And I question those people who can, if they were really fans of the team, or just followers from a time when we have been a better team. 

36 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

For me, growing up as a soccer fan in a city, where the team means almost everything that counts to a lot of people, it's not understandable how you can quit being a fan.

I couldn't stop being a fan of one of my teams in soccer or football. And I question those people who can, if they were really fans of the team, or just followers from a time when we have been a better team. 

Summed up beautifully my friend.

45 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

Very true....even when you feel frustration/hatred towards them in their play, players, coaches, off season moves/non-moves etc.... Your still a Fan of them inside your soul for years & years, Decades after Decades.

4 hours ago, BluHorzhu said:

This thread is for all departing Colts fans who have finally seen enough of the most consistently underachieving yet paradoxically sound franchise in football.

When I grew up in a Raiders household many moons ago, I eventually set out to choose a team for myself.  I was watching the playoffs and saw a fiery, overachieving Jim Harbaugh take a middling 9-7 club one dropped hail mary from the the Superbowl.  I was moved by this man's mettle.  Harbaugh was never an amazing player, but he helped will a team to do nearly the impossible.  I latched onto that Colts team and never let go. 

What I couldn't have known at the time is that fire... that overachieving attitude would be the last I'd truly see of it's kind in a Colts uniform.  Since then I've seen the following:

* One of the greatest QBs in NFL history... a man who "changed the way the position is played" falter countless times in the playoffs (when it 

matters).  Nobody cares about Tenessee's 13-3 season with CJ2K... because they got bounced by the Ravens and forgotten.  Championships

matter.  Manning's Colts won 1 title against arguably the worst team ever to find themselves in an "excuse me" Superbowl.  

*After Peyton Manning leaves and the Colts survive one season of Curtis Painter's "Suck for Luck" campaign, Ryan Grigson finds a way to prematurely destroy the career of the best QB prospect since... you guessed it... Peyton Manning.  Can't make this stuff up.  Meanwhile, Russell Wilson wins deuce rings for the Squawklers.

*In present day, Indy enjoys both competency and continuity with solid GM/Head Coaching and a bevy of "High Character Individuals" or "Horseshoe Guys" (insert rolling of the eyes here).  What fruit does this bear?  Getting blown out by the worst team in football in arguably the weakest division in professional sports with a playoff berth on the line.  

There are plenty of other concepts to explore and events undiscussed here, but the bottom line is that the Indianapolis Colts franchise is a perennially underachieving franchise despite their lucky horseshoe brining them 2 of the greatest QB prospects in the past 30 years.  The Colts have never, in all the time I've been a fan, done a single thing to change this culture of underachievement.  Worse, the Colts have done nothing but reinforce the notion that they are a "SOFT" football team.  Belichick and the Patriots used that against them more than once in AFC Championships, manhandling the Colts and throwing off their receivers' timing.  I've always hated that part of it the most....  Being called soft.  Losing is temporary, but being soft is a pervasive anti-quality.  It doesn't represent me.  If it did, I wouldn't have the stones to write this message expecting more.  I'd just take it and start talking about "next season."  

THERE IS NO NEXT SEASON.  I am done.  Does that make me a soft fan?  Depends on who you talk to.  At the end of the day, I have decided that the Indianapolis Colts franchise does not represent the fire I look for in others... the killer instinct I displayed as an athlete and businessman.  They are not in harmony with the characteristics I like to see in teams or individuals.  I will not say that the "Colts suck." That's just mailing it in.  

I still respect the Colts and you, the fans... but will no longer endure the culture of underachievement consistently fostered by this sham of a successful franchise.  I know I'm not alone.  Can't blame you if you want to hate on me or agree.  The New Year is supposed to be about renewal and evolution... and I don't see it here.  I am doing some early spring cleaning on habits that are no longer in harmony with the qualities I aspire to embody.  Thanks to all my fellow fans for grinding all this time.   Thanks for reading.  Best wishes to you wall going forward.  

- One of many former Colts fans in 2022

Seriously?

Just go.

You dont have to drag us down with you.

Elizabeth Taylor had a Bad habit of “giving up” as well.

You’ll be back.  Just ask Richard Burton.

The one big thing that annoys me is that we traded away a 1st rd pick to secure a guy who is at best a game manager.  Any success we had this year was built on Wentz handing the ball to Taylor and letting him do the work.  We have a really strong O Line that created a lot of opportunity for Taylor to make some incredible runs, but we don't have a QB who can strike fear into the hearts of the opposition, and in a passing League, that is a huge negative.

33 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

The one big thing that annoys me is that we traded away a 1st rd pick to secure a guy who is at best a game manager.  Any success we had this year was built on Wentz handing the ball to Taylor and letting him do the work.  We have a really strong O Line that created a lot of opportunity for Taylor to make some incredible runs, but we don't have a QB who can strike fear into the hearts of the opposition, and in a passing League, that is a huge negative.

You are touching on something that's very much overlooked with fans and media. Wentz' play on its own was not great, but what makes it sting even more is that this was happening while the opponents were gearing up to stop NOT WENTZ... but Taylor. They were stacking the box, turning their whole attention to Taylor... leaving one on ones on the outside ALL THE TIME. And Wentz couldn't punish them for it. He didn't even need to be amazing. He needed to keep the defense honest and be even a slight threat with his arm. And he couldn't do it... against the most favorable possible situations and matchups with all the eyes on Taylor and our running game, Wentz couldn't execute. 

I don't think this gets any better from here on out. Now everybody knows how to defend us and everybody knows that Wentz will not punish them for allocating more resources at stopping the run. 

5 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

We either lose because of Frank's playcalling, or Wentzs bad decision making. 

There has really only been like one or two losses where a majority of the team had a bad game. 

Or because of the front four giving the QB all day to throw, facing a practice squad Defensive backfield. 

Or because we have a half of a WR who gets RAC. 

Or because, for some reason our O line can't pass protect

7 hours ago, BluHorzhu said:

This thread is for all departing Colts fans who have finally seen enough of the most consistently underachieving yet paradoxically sound franchise in football.

When I grew up in a Raiders household many moons ago, I eventually set out to choose a team for myself.  I was watching the playoffs and saw a fiery, overachieving Jim Harbaugh take a middling 9-7 club one dropped hail mary from the the Superbowl.  I was moved by this man's mettle.  Harbaugh was never an amazing player, but he helped will a team to do nearly the impossible.  I latched onto that Colts team and never let go. 

What I couldn't have known at the time is that fire... that overachieving attitude would be the last I'd truly see of it's kind in a Colts uniform.  Since then I've seen the following:

* One of the greatest QBs in NFL history... a man who "changed the way the position is played" falter countless times in the playoffs (when it 

matters).  Nobody cares about Tenessee's 13-3 season with CJ2K... because they got bounced by the Ravens and forgotten.  Championships

matter.  Manning's Colts won 1 title against arguably the worst team ever to find themselves in an "excuse me" Superbowl.  

*After Peyton Manning leaves and the Colts survive one season of Curtis Painter's "Suck for Luck" campaign, Ryan Grigson finds a way to prematurely destroy the career of the best QB prospect since... you guessed it... Peyton Manning.  Can't make this stuff up.  Meanwhile, Russell Wilson wins deuce rings for the Squawklers.

*In present day, Indy enjoys both competency and continuity with solid GM/Head Coaching and a bevy of "High Character Individuals" or "Horseshoe Guys" (insert rolling of the eyes here).  What fruit does this bear?  Getting blown out by the worst team in football in arguably the weakest division in professional sports with a playoff berth on the line.  

There are plenty of other concepts to explore and events undiscussed here, but the bottom line is that the Indianapolis Colts franchise is a perennially underachieving franchise despite their lucky horseshoe brining them 2 of the greatest QB prospects in the past 30 years.  The Colts have never, in all the time I've been a fan, done a single thing to change this culture of underachievement.  Worse, the Colts have done nothing but reinforce the notion that they are a "SOFT" football team.  Belichick and the Patriots used that against them more than once in AFC Championships, manhandling the Colts and throwing off their receivers' timing.  I've always hated that part of it the most....  Being called soft.  Losing is temporary, but being soft is a pervasive anti-quality.  It doesn't represent me.  If it did, I wouldn't have the stones to write this message expecting more.  I'd just take it and start talking about "next season."  

THERE IS NO NEXT SEASON.  I am done.  Does that make me a soft fan?  Depends on who you talk to.  At the end of the day, I have decided that the Indianapolis Colts franchise does not represent the fire I look for in others... the killer instinct I displayed as an athlete and businessman.  They are not in harmony with the characteristics I like to see in teams or individuals.  I will not say that the "Colts suck." That's just mailing it in.  

I still respect the Colts and you, the fans... but will no longer endure the culture of underachievement consistently fostered by this sham of a successful franchise.  I know I'm not alone.  Can't blame you if you want to hate on me or agree.  The New Year is supposed to be about renewal and evolution... and I don't see it here.  I am doing some early spring cleaning on habits that are no longer in harmony with the qualities I aspire to embody.  Thanks to all my fellow fans for grinding all this time.   Thanks for reading.  Best wishes to you wall going forward.  

Bye bye

These kinds of mornings (after the season ends) are more the norm than the exception, if you’re a NFL fan. Pain comes with the territory. 
    Only one fan base will be happy. As a long time Colts fan, I’m shocked, angry and disappointed. The whole team played poorly. 
     Having said that,  I’m not so sure Wentz is “the guy”. It’s going to be a long season, but no matter which team you root for, there’s probably going to be disappointment as the season ends.

5 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Have the same feeling. Not switching teams but I’m also not dedicating my money or time to this team every Sunday next year if major changes don’t happen. Why waste three and a half hours on a team that doesn’t try and get better during the offseason. I’ll find better things to do. Go Colts.

Well said.

6 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm fine that people are frustrated 

It's insane how many are giving up already 

Give it a few days and yall will be fine 

ohh you didn't know? those are just the band wagoners easing there way out the door they were never fans in the first place. 

I mean I won't give up on the team and losses do indeed happen, but this was not a regular loss. This was a complete clownshow and one of the most embarassing and important losses I personally have witnessed from the Colts.

To me acting like this is just another loss and that all is well seems just as outrageous as the few people saying they are giving up on the team. 

About next year - what exactly do we expect to happen with Wentz at QB next year? Because realistically we don't really have much of an option. We don't have a high enough pick to go QB in the draft. Franchise QBs don't hit FA or trade market. Our best chance of improving the team - our 1st round pick is gone. We have a little money to spend but also have tons of people we need to give contracts to and a LG we need to shell record breaking salary towards. This team is going nowhere fast. Our chance was to go get a QB from the draft and develop him, even if that meant taking a step back this year. As it happens, we took a step back anyways and we still lost a 1st and 3d for the privillege of paying a QB we cannot trust 100M over 4 years. 

I mean I can't blame anyone for lashing out. Yesterday was pretty awful. I love my colts, but it's entertainment at the end of the day for me. I try not to let it ruin my day. Holy smokes yesterday sucked though and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a few choice words for Mr. Wentz after that interception. Heat of the moment haha 

I think we're all just tired of the rollercoaster ride.  Greatness one week and then abysmal showing the next.  There is no consistency.  At least if we would consistently suck, maybe that would be enough to re-evaluate top to bottom.  Instead we have "some bright spots" comments so we'll end up staying the course and starting seasons in the hole.

Irsay, update the organization's mission statement because whatever you have today is outdated...

Indianapolis Colts:  Where great talent comes to achieve mediocrity

8 hours ago, BluHorzhu said:

See ya. :hat:

All of the young people out there won't be able to relate for the most part but I think we shouldn't underestimate how Ryan Kelly's loss effected this team.  Losing a child is devastating.  It will take him many months to go through the grieving process.  A locker room is supposed to be like family and I think they are.  When that happens they all reach out and try to comfort.  It helps but it's am unbelievable journey.  Football is a mental games as well as a physical game.  I can't imagine what's it like to return to work and have to play that physical part without being mentally focused. It's hard enough to go into an office and do it yet alone a football field.  This collapse the last two weeks actually coincides with his return.  The fight wasn't there.  Yesterday the entire offensive line played well below their best.  Everybody.  IF your mind isn't 100% in the game it's a tough road.  For me I think his tragedy effected the team.  They went out there but they were a different team.  I'm sure there were other factors as well but for me this is one that is well overlooked.  I think his loss demoralized the team and it was so hard for them all to overcome.   Just my thought after sleeping on it overnight.  It shouldn't be underestimated.

7 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Tough loss but...

Some are already giving up next year

Some don't even wanna be fans anymore 

Take a deep breath 

Losses happen its not the end of the world 

Me coming here after loss

Once heard a story by an evangelist called Ron Halverson.  He grew up on the tough streets of Brooklyn.  Tough guy.  Started boxing in the Catholic Youth Organization and the Police Athletic League.  Was so poor that his first fight was in swim trunks, not boxing shorts, with a shared mouthpiece.  He got hit with a right cross that sent him to the canvas.  Longest time in the world is the count one to ten, when you're flat on your back.  Count got to eight when the bell rang.  His trainer asked him if he wanted to throw in the towel.  Give up.  He was like, give up now, man?  Never, man!  Never!  Went back in to the ring, and knocked the guy through the ropes.  Went on to become the youth light heavyweight champion of New York.

Just because you went to the canvas doesn't mean you should give up.

7 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Tough loss but...

Some are already giving up next year

Some don't even wanna be fans anymore 

Take a deep breath 

Losses happen its not the end of the world 

Me coming here after loss

Nick Young Reaction GIF

Not surprising. Losing to the worst team in the league with a playoff spot on the line will do that.

It was pretty bad.  I mean Colts go from a Darkhorse to literally the laughing stock of the league so naturally people are upset.  

I bleed blue but I sure don’t think this team will magically become a super bowl competitor next year either.  Heck, they just need to make the playoffs now….baby steps lol!  I imagine there’s a really strong possibility we will continue see the exact same frustrating stuff.  I’ll go into the season with low expectations to hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

Just now, Malakai432 said:

It was pretty bad.  I mean Colts go from a Darkhorse to literally the laughing stock of the league so naturally people are upset.  

I bleed blue but I sure don’t think this team will magically become a super bowl competitor next year either.  Heck, they just need to make the playoffs now….baby steps lol!  I imagine there’s a really strong possibility we will continue see the exact same frustrating stuff.  I’ll go into the season with low expectations to hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

Yesterday was bad, unacceptable and I was talking smack thinking we would win too. I still can't believe we lost. So now what for next year, this one stings.

5 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

No doubt about it. The NFL is entertainment and I was honestly entertained by the Colts season so I can't complain. Actually getting mad or feeling betrayed just isn't worth the trade off. Life goes on

Same here.

Was I disappointed yesterday?

Of course.

But I really did enjoy the season. 

8 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

No doubt about it. The NFL is entertainment and I was honestly entertained by the Colts season so I can't complain. Actually getting mad or feeling betrayed just isn't worth the trade off. Life goes on

I had to go to the gym immediately to let off some steam. My resting heart rate was over DOUBLE it’s normal rate due to the anxiety from the game. 

I have a hard time getting over some of these losses. The thought of having to wait another 8 months to watch Colts football with A LOT of unanswered questions going into the off-season STINGS

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yesterday was bad, unacceptable and I was talking smack thinking we would win too. I still can't believe we lost. So now what for next year, this one stings.

It was the opposite for me, I thought it would be a 50/50 game so I bet $200 on the Jags, payout was $1400 and I was called every name in the book.  However, they all retracted their comments after the game lol……. Still, to not see them even play competitive ball is what really irked me.

If it was this great close game going down to the wire it would’ve been different.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ll be happy to hold the internet door open for you on your way out!    Hope you enjoy being a fan of your new team more than this team. 

So long!       :thmup:

It’s clearly just an emotional reaction.  Give the guy a break.  He’ll be back.  

heck you only became a fan when luck showed up.  You must have been a fan of another nfl team before that.  Nothing wrong with it and glad you remain a colts fan.  The more the merrier

• Nadine changed the title to Building a culture/locker room a fools errand?/ Culture of underachievement (merge)
8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

They just got their backside handed to them by the worst team in the league and lost their second win and they are in game and are out of the playoffs.  What were you expecting rainbows and cupcakes?

Rainbows and Unicorns

4 hours ago, stitches said:

You are touching on something that's very much overlooked with fans and media. Wentz' play on its own was not great, but what makes it sting even more is that this was happening while the opponents were gearing up to stop NOT WENTZ... but Taylor. They were stacking the box, turning their whole attention to Taylor... leaving one on ones on the outside ALL THE TIME. And Wentz couldn't punish them for it. He didn't even need to be amazing. He needed to keep the defense honest and be even a slight threat with his arm. And he couldn't do it... against the most favorable possible situations and matchups with all the eyes on Taylor and our running game, Wentz couldn't execute. 

I don't think this gets any better from here on out. Now everybody knows how to defend us and everybody knows that Wentz will not punish them for allocating more resources at stopping the run. 

Good points. He was in a very favorable situation, especially in the 2nd half of the season. Yet, that's basically when the bad stretch began.

This was shades of JB in 2019, except with a few highlights mixed in. Not a huge Reich fan...but what is he supposed to do when his QB can't even execute in this type of offense?

I don't think it gets better either. I want more weapons regardless, but that's lipstick on a pig. This second half of the season seemed very much like regression to the QB he is. And if you look at the past two seasons combined, one could argue he has spent about 3/4 of that time being a bad QB. That's a huge red flag. 

Archived