Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Building a culture/locker room a fools errand?/ Culture of underachievement (merge)

Fat Clemenza

Since the beginning, CB has put an emphasis on team character, acquiring team captains and locker room leaders. And I was bought in to his approach 100%. 

His team was down 13-3 at halftime against the worst team in the league, missing key players, led by a rookie QB. 

And after whatever halftime speeches and adjustments were made with the playoffs hanging in the balance, the Colts played listless and lifeless.  The seemed to care much less then the Jags, playing under an interim coaching staff. 

The Colts have lost close games all year. Where is the benefit of the leadership CB sought and cultivated?  Maybe we should be focusing on playmakers rather than team captains?  I’m just beyond words about the lack or heart and urgency the last two weeks. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Fat Clemenza said:

Since the beginning, CB has put an emphasis on team character, acquiring team captains and locker room leaders. And I was bought in to his approach 100%. 

His team was down 13-3 at halftime against the worst team in the league, missing key players, led by a rookie QB. 

And after whatever halftime speeches and adjustments were made with the playoffs hanging in the balance, the Colts played listless and lifeless.  The seemed to care much less then the Jags, playing under an interim coaching staff. 

The Colts have lost close games all year. Where is the benefit of the leadership CB sought and cultivated?  Maybe we should be focusing on playmakers rather than team captains?  I’m just beyond words about the lack or heart and urgency the last two weeks. 

totally agree, ballards good boy method is not working

This thread is for all departing Colts fans who have finally seen enough of the most consistently underachieving yet paradoxically sound franchise in football.

When I grew up in a Raiders household many moons ago, I eventually set out to choose a team for myself.  I was watching the playoffs and saw a fiery, overachieving Jim Harbaugh take a middling 9-7 club one dropped hail mary from the the Superbowl.  I was moved by this man's mettle.  Harbaugh was never an amazing player, but he helped will a team to do nearly the impossible.  I latched onto that Colts team and never let go. 

What I couldn't have known at the time is that fire... that overachieving attitude would be the last I'd truly see of it's kind in a Colts uniform.  Since then I've seen the following:

* One of the greatest QBs in NFL history... a man who "changed the way the position is played" falter countless times in the playoffs (when it 

matters).  Nobody cares about Tenessee's 13-3 season with CJ2K... because they got bounced by the Ravens and forgotten.  Championships

matter.  Manning's Colts won 1 title against arguably the worst team ever to find themselves in an "excuse me" Superbowl.  

*After Peyton Manning leaves and the Colts survive one season of Curtis Painter's "Suck for Luck" campaign, Ryan Grigson finds a way to prematurely destroy the career of the best QB prospect since... you guessed it... Peyton Manning.  Can't make this stuff up.  Meanwhile, Russell Wilson wins deuce rings for the Squawklers.

*In present day, Indy enjoys both competency and continuity with solid GM/Head Coaching and a bevy of "High Character Individuals" or "Horseshoe Guys" (insert rolling of the eyes here).  What fruit does this bear?  Getting blown out by the worst team in football in arguably the weakest division in professional sports with a playoff berth on the line.  

There are plenty of other concepts to explore and events undiscussed here, but the bottom line is that the Indianapolis Colts franchise is a perennially underachieving franchise despite their lucky horseshoe brining them 2 of the greatest QB prospects in the past 30 years.  The Colts have never, in all the time I've been a fan, done a single thing to change this culture of underachievement.  Worse, the Colts have done nothing but reinforce the notion that they are a "SOFT" football team.  Belichick and the Patriots used that against them more than once in AFC Championships, manhandling the Colts and throwing off their receivers' timing.  I've always hated that part of it the most....  Being called soft.  Losing is temporary, but being soft is a pervasive anti-quality.  It doesn't represent me.  If it did, I wouldn't have the stones to write this message expecting more.  I'd just take it and start talking about "next season."  

THERE IS NO NEXT SEASON.  I am done.  Does that make me a soft fan?  Depends on who you talk to.  At the end of the day, I have decided that the Indianapolis Colts franchise does not represent the fire I look for in others... the killer instinct I displayed as an athlete and businessman.  They are not in harmony with the characteristics I like to see in teams or individuals.  I will not say that the "Colts suck." That's just mailing it in.  

I still respect the Colts and you, the fans... but will no longer endure the culture of underachievement consistently fostered by this sham of a successful franchise.  I know I'm not alone.  Can't blame you if you want to hate on me or agree.  The New Year is supposed to be about renewal and evolution... and I don't see it here.  I am doing some early spring cleaning on habits that are no longer in harmony with the qualities I aspire to embody.  Thanks to all my fellow fans for grinding all this time.   Thanks for reading.  Best wishes to you wall going forward.  

- One of many former Colts fans in 2022

43 minutes ago, BluHorzhu said:

This thread is for all departing Colts fans who have finally seen enough of the most consistently underachieving yet paradoxically sound franchise in football.

When I grew up in a Raiders household many moons ago, I eventually set out to choose a team for myself.  I was watching the playoffs and saw a fiery, overachieving Jim Harbaugh take a middling 9-7 club one dropped hail mary from the the Superbowl.  I was moved by this man's mettle.  Harbaugh was never an amazing player, but he helped will a team to do nearly the impossible.  I latched onto that Colts team and never let go. 

What I couldn't have known at the time is that fire... that overachieving attitude would be the last I'd truly see of it's kind in a Colts uniform.  Since then I've seen the following:

* One of the greatest QBs in NFL history... a man who "changed the way the position is played" falter countless times in the playoffs (when it 

matters).  Nobody cares about Tenessee's 13-3 season with CJ2K... because they got bounced by the Ravens and forgotten.  Championships

matter.  Manning's Colts won 1 title against arguably the worst team ever to find themselves in an "excuse me" Superbowl.  

*After Peyton Manning leaves and the Colts survive one season of Curtis Painter's "Suck for Luck" campaign, Ryan Grigson finds a way to prematurely destroy the career of the best QB prospect since... you guessed it... Peyton Manning.  Can't make this stuff up.  Meanwhile, Russell Wilson wins deuce rings for the Squawklers.

*In present day, Indy enjoys both competency and continuity with solid GM/Head Coaching and a bevy of "High Character Individuals" or "Horseshoe Guys" (insert rolling of the eyes here).  What fruit does this bear?  Getting blown out by the worst team in football in arguably the weakest division in professional sports with a playoff berth on the line.  

There are plenty of other concepts to explore and events undiscussed here, but the bottom line is that the Indianapolis Colts franchise is a perennially underachieving franchise despite their lucky horseshoe brining them 2 of the greatest QB prospects in the past 30 years.  The Colts have never, in all the time I've been a fan, done a single thing to change this culture of underachievement.  Worse, the Colts have done nothing but reinforce the notion that they are a "SOFT" football team.  Belichick and the Patriots used that against them more than once in AFC Championships, manhandling the Colts and throwing off their receivers' timing.  I've always hated that part of it the most....  Being called soft.  Losing is temporary, but being soft is a pervasive anti-quality.  It doesn't represent me.  If it did, I wouldn't have the stones to write this message expecting more.  I'd just take it and start talking about "next season."  

THERE IS NO NEXT SEASON.  I am done.  Does that make me a soft fan?  Depends on who you talk to.  At the end of the day, I have decided that the Indianapolis Colts franchise does not represent the fire I look for in others... the killer instinct I displayed as an athlete and businessman.  They are not in harmony with the characteristics I like to see in teams or individuals.  I will not say that the "Colts suck." That's just mailing it in.  

I still respect the Colts and you, the fans... but will no longer endure the culture of underachievement consistently fostered by this sham of a successful franchise.  I know I'm not alone.  Can't blame you if you want to hate on me or agree.  The New Year is supposed to be about renewal and evolution... and I don't see it here.  I am doing some early spring cleaning on habits that are no longer in harmony with the qualities I aspire to embody.  Thanks to all my fellow fans for grinding all this time.   Thanks for reading.  Best wishes to you wall going forward.  

Take a few days.  You will be welcomed back with open arms

True fans stick with their team through thick and thin.  I watched a 1-15 Colts team and I watched Curtis Painter lead them to 2-14.  This is hardly the worst.  Very disappointing and frustrating today but I bleed blue and white no matter what.  That doesn’t mean I agree with everything the franchise does but that’s my team darn it.  

48 minutes ago, BluHorzhu said:

Absolutely love the fire and stones. We’ll see ya week 1 next year 

46 minutes ago, BluHorzhu said:

I’ll be happy to hold the internet door open for you on your way out!    Hope you enjoy being a fan of your new team more than this team. 

So long!       :thmup:

I’ll still be here. I’m going to walk into work tomorrow and take all the trash talking. All I can do is accept it. 

Still a fan… but I understand why some will be tired of waiting. It might be 20 years before we win again. It could even be longer than that. I’ll continue following the team. But I am hoping to start focusing more on myself for achieving happiness. 

53 minutes ago, BluHorzhu said:

Good on ya to recognize the problem and make the best decision for you. 

It's football, not real life. Don't sweat it to much.

Like I've always said to any fan I talk to, if a particular team is literally bad for your health, just pick another one.. Lol

I honestly don't even mean it as an insult.

I'm stuck on this train till I'm worn food.. Lol

Nothing I hate more than entitlement in a fanbase.  So whenever the fans who feel like their team needs to deliver X amount of wins a season OR ELSE...  It's a good thing for everyone involved when that door hits them on the way out.

Being a good fan is a journey.  You don't start out there.  Also only one team's fan base goes home happy at the end of the season.  So it follows that if you're a fan of the highest expectation in order to be happy you have two choices.  Be a front runner.  Or find a way to extract enjoyment from the journey.

Anyone making this post has no memory of the Colts when they first got to Indy. 

Years of blackouts on home games. Usually out of playoff contention when the calendar turned to November, and generally we were the Jags during those years.I don’t like how it ended today, especially since I was in TIAA hoping to clinch.  But I would rather have a shot to make the playoffs than be that again.

Cut Wentz

1 hour ago, BluHorzhu said:

Come on man!!!  Soooo many teams go through this or worse. Luv my shoe. 

2 hours ago, BluHorzhu said:

I left after 1983, but I’m not sure that counts ! 

Its really bitter sweet with Wentz. Sometimes he looks great and then other times I don't want him on our team. I do think they give him at least 2 years. He did have a lot of hurdles to jump through this year regarding covid and injuries. However, there is absolutely zero excuse for his wreckless play at times. It's almost as if he doesn't realize the magnitude of repeatedly putting our defense in a terrible position. 

26 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm fine that people are frustrated 

It's insane how many are giving up already 

Give it a few days and yall will be fine 

Define giving up?  I saw one guy make a thread where he said he’s done with the team but he’s being roundly mocked for that.  I think most people are rightfully ticked off tonight and want to see their team get better.  Honestly, this place to be a lot more reasonable than I was expecting had the Colts lost to the Jags.  Yes you have a few who are overreacting but for the most part it’s the same people who always do.  Most people are just saying okay this didn’t go well what needs to happen to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

Have the same feeling. Not switching teams but I’m also not dedicating my money or time to this team every Sunday next year if major changes don’t happen. Why waste three and a half hours on a team that doesn’t try and get better during the offseason. I’ll find better things to do. Go Colts.

i have a cousin who was a Colts fan for many yrs with me

we went to the AFCCG together vs the Jets... celebrated that comeback, that win... that 2nd half shutout... with the city afterwards!

after Peyton became a Bronco.... my cousin became a Bronco fan to my dismay

I didn't. 

that's exactly what we have here.... some people are just fans of players and follow them. Wonder how many "patriot" fans were actually just Brady fans? 

in 2013 i traveled to the Peyton homecoming game with a friend and we watched Luck and the Colts hand him first first loss that season... that guy is an actual Colts fan just not as big of a fan as me 

only rooted against Peyton when the Colts were the opponent. 

1 minute ago, Numba1Colt said:

i have a cousin who was a Colts fan for many yrs with me

we went to the AFCCG together vs the Jets... celebrated that comeback, that win... that 2nd half shutout... with the city afterwards!

after Peyton became a Bronco.... my cousin became a Bronco fan to my dismay

I didn't. 

that's exactly what we have here.... some people are just fans of players and follow them. Wonder how many "patriot" fans were actually just Brady fans? 

in 2013 i traveled to the Peyton homecoming game with a friend and we watched Luck and the Colts hand him first first loss that season... that guy is an actual Colts fan just not as big of a fan as me 

only rooted against Peyton when the Colts were the opponent. 

Not as many as you think.  Brady is kinda hated in Boston now.

I understand your pain! Trust me I do and agree with most of what you say. The team is too passive and lack that fire from the top down! This is FOOTBALL and you need some "dawgs" on the field. I don't see the fight OVERALL. Maybe a couple of players come to mind on this team but that's it. The Colts will ALWAYS be my team NO matter what but this underachieving with built in excuses is getting old! 

Meanwhile, Russell Wilson wins deuce rings for the Squawklers.

Russell Wilson only won 1 ring with the Seahawks, he should have 2 but his boneheaded coach elected to put him in the shotgun and attempt a pass from the 1 yard line instead of giving the ball to Marshawn Lynch, who had just gained 4 rushing yards on the previous play.

Archived