Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to Interview McDaniels on Thursday

Steamboat_Shaun

2 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

The Broncos were 24-24 the 3 years preceding McDaniels. 8-8 and 4-12 with Mcdaniels. Then 8-8 and a playoff win over the Steelers. then Peyton arrived and 2 sb's in 4 years. The thing about the 8-8 season in 2011 if some Bear runningback had stayed in bounds the Bears would have run the clock out,but instead had to punt and Tebust took the broncos down and won the game. Without that, the Broncos finish 7-9 but they still may have made the playoffs because the afc west really sucked that year. And, I'm not against McDaniels because he is a pat, I put on here the other day in another topic I would like to see Vrable get this Colt head coaching job. I think Vrable deserves a shot and he knows what it takes to lead(and win).

Why does a guy who,has little experience deserve a shot?  He may turn out to be great, but his coaching resume is pretty flimsy at this point.

Loved him on Hard Knocks though.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

I hope they don’t hire McDaniels. There is just not a single success story from anyone coming from Belichick system, except for the mad genius Belichick himself.

I believe Rick Venturi is spot on with his theory on why that is.

Bill OBrien has done pretty well considering the crap he has to work with at the QB position.  It's not like Belichick was killing it before he had Brady.

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

@Nadine @Superman

Wasn't sure if we wanted these reports to be within the already existing threads or not, if so feel free to merge.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/2/16842298/colts-to-interview-josh-mcdaniels-thursday

By all accounts, McDaniels appears to be the most coveted candidate.  This seems to be a down year for head coach candidates overall. In my opinion, I still don't see why every team looking for a head coach seems to be so high on this guy.  I'm always suspect of coaches coming out of New England because their success is so system driven and they seldom thrive after leaving Belichick & Brady.  Are Josh's accolades warranted or is he simply the prettiest ugly girl at the dance?  Was his showing in Denver indicative of his head coaching abilities or a necessary learning experience derived from failure?  Hopefully, Ballard will be able to discern which is the case. 

I would rather give a guy an opportunity than just hire another retread. Cowher and Tomlin both had very little coaching experience before the Steelers gave them a shot. McVay is well documented this year. Sean Peyton was young and inexperienced when the Saints gave him a shot. What hard knocks was Vrable on? I haven't watched that series for years.

3 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I know I like that he is our first interview I hope that means he's our top guy 

Josh is on a bye week, so he can only be interviewed this week during the playoffs. Most of the other candidates are playing during wild card weekend and can't be interviewed until eliminated.

25 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I would rather give a guy an opportunity than just hire another retread. Cowher and Tomlin both had very little coaching experience before the Steelers gave them a shot. McVay is well documented this year. Sean Peyton was young and inexperienced when the Saints gave him a shot. What hard knocks was Vrable on? I haven't watched that series for years.

Texans

25 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

The above tells me you better have a QB or you better get one.

Vrabel was on a couple yrs ago with the Texans

46 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

By all accounts, McDaniels appears to be the most coveted candidate.  This seems to be a down year for head coach candidates overall. In my opinion, I still don't see why every team looking for a head coach seems to be so high on this guy.  I'm always suspect of coaches coming out of New England because their success is so system driven and they seldom thrive after leaving Belichick & Brady.  Are Josh's accolades warranted or is he simply the prettiest ugly girl at the dance?  Was his showing in Denver indicative of his head coaching abilities or a necessary learning experience derived from failure?  Hopefully, Ballard will be able to discern which is the case. 

Well in terms of lessons learned, I think McDaniels has learned some:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666428-the-redemption-of-josh-mcdaniels-failure-taught-pats-oc-how-to-pick-his-spots

This is the guy.....don't think he'll leave the building unless we haven't cleared the RR yet.

We'll always have a good locker room with Luck in the fold.  Players respect him and like him both.  He leads by example with humility.  

What we need from a coach is intelligent scheming more than anything followed by an edge of intolerance for failure.  I think McDaniels can bring both.

21 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

This is the guy.....don't think he'll leave the building unless we haven't cleared the RR yet.

We'll always have a good locker room with Luck in the fold.  Players respect him and like him both.  He leads by example with humility.  

What we need from a coach is intelligent scheming more than anything followed by an edge of intolerance for failure.  I think McDaniels can bring both.

Perfectly stated my friend. 

We were very lucky during Peyton's era as it pertains to Tom Moore in that he never aspired to be a head coach because he would have been gone just as the Triplets were taking off.  Moore was untouchable.

I think we need to hire an offensive minded HC so he and Luck can build chemistry together for many years to come, otherwise we will enter a revolving door of offensive philosophies just as we have seen under Pagano.  

I'm for McDaniels first, then Nagy.

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

We tried that with a guy named Pagano.  Not saying I disagree, but we just finished that very scenario.

He's up there (along with Dave Toub) as one of the head coach candidates I want. This team would benefit with someone who comes from a successful offensive mind. 

Plus when he was with Denver, he develoepd a solid coaching staff with its coordinators. 

2 hours ago, ztboiler said:

Its not just the RR that will slow things up.

Ballard has said that he's going to go slowly in the search process.   That he's going to take his time.   That there may be multiple interviews with multiple candidates.    That doesn't sound like a scenario where Ballard meets with McDaniels and hired him on the spot and doesn't let him leave the building.

i wouldn't expect a hire for at least a week.   Maybe longer....

I despise the patriots, obviously! But I respect how great of a mind B.B. is and what he’s taught his coordinators and players which is why I think McDaniels would/will do well as a head coach this time go round. I think he will surprise many people as much as I cringe at saying that.

I still much much MUCH would prefer Chris Petersen over any one else. If he doesn’t make it here I sure hope he gets an NFL job this season. I’d definitly follow whatever team he ends up coaching in the NFL because I do think he is a very high quality football mind.

8 hours ago, BOTT said:

Why does a guy who,has little experience deserve a shot?  He may turn out to be great, but his coaching resume is pretty flimsy at this point.

Loved him on Hard Knocks though.

I can think of a coach who was very poor for one team, then quit outright on another, and not only that, cost his third team a first round pick to acquire.

He turned out all right.

11 hours ago, will426 said:

I wouldn’t mind I honestly wish we never told because it wouldn’t have made a difference haha  And look what happened after we told..sometimes it’s cool to snitch other times snitches get stitches and boy many of our players have gotten them since then lmao 

Snitches get stitches?  We're not living on the cell block here. haha 

i've never understood the whole "snitch" and "tattle tale" thing.

sure, telling your boss your co-worker was 1 minute late to work may be uneccesary, but as we have seen recently with harrassment claims, its actually the "snitches" who have the strength and honor and should get praised, not ridiculed.   To just stand by and let people lie, cheat, and steal is FAR WORSE than any stigma attatched to being a "snitch", especially in today's climate.

i look at it more as "social policing" of one's fellow human beings.

24 minutes ago, George Peterson said:

I can think of a coach who was very poor for one team, then quit outright on another, and not only that, cost his third team a first round pick to acquire.

He turned out all right.

Yea, he finally figured out how to properly bend the rules. 

14 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

He was the the QB coach and Coordinator when the Pats went 11-5 with Matt Cassell at QB.

Plus the Pats went 3-1 with mostly Brissett and Jimmy G (thought he was only there for like a game and a half).

And was 6-0 at one point with Kyle Orton as his QB. 

So it's not like ALL his success was around Tom Brady. 

I get that he's been good at OC, but I just don't know about HC.

I still have this voice in the back of my mind that says "Remember his failure in Denver"

Kind of in the Yoda voice when he says: 

Image result for yoda remember your failure at the cave

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Its not just the RR that will slow things up.

Ballard has said that he's going to go slowly in the search process.   That he's going to take his time.   That there may be multiple interviews with multiple candidates.    That doesn't sound like a scenario where Ballard meets with McDaniels and hired him on the spot and doesn't let him leave the building.

i wouldn't expect a hire for at least a week.   Maybe longer....

Wouldn't surprise me if it takes a week....but we all understand that Ballard knows who he wants already....and has for a few months or more.  McDaniels might not be that guy...but Ballard has his primary target already decided and we all know it.

12 hours ago, Two_pound said:

The Broncos were 24-24 the 3 years preceding McDaniels. 8-8 and 4-12 with Mcdaniels. Then 8-8 and a playoff win over the Steelers. then Peyton arrived and 2 sb's in 4 years. The thing about the 8-8 season in 2011 if some Bear runningback had stayed in bounds the Bears would have run the clock out,but instead had to punt and Tebust took the broncos down and won the game. Without that, the Broncos finish 7-9 but they still may have made the playoffs because the afc west really sucked that year. And, I'm not against McDaniels because he is a pat, I put on here the other day in another topic I would like to see Vrable get this Colt head coaching job. I think Vrable deserves a shot and he knows what it takes to lead(and win).

Vrable hasn't been a coordinator for very long so I'm not sure about him.  But I did also like him on Hard Knocks.  He seems to be future head coaching material. 

I'm not a huge fan of McDaniels either.  Another thing that came up is that an incident happened with the Bronco's that was essentially a mini-spy gate.  I have a bad feeling that McDaniels could get the Colts into trouble because I think he's learned from his boss "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying."

I'm also not all that impressed by him coordinating a great offense when he has Brady as his QB.  

Sure he went 8 - 8 with Kyle Orton one year, but didn't the Bills also do that?  Then after that he was 4 - 12.  

Honestly I think I'd rather have Vrable.  Quite frankly I'm disappointed that Pat Shurmur wasn't given a call.

15 hours ago, krunk said:

Again I think the Xs and Os would be fine with Mcdaniels, but I still have concerns about the personality fit between him, Ballard, and Irsay.  Don't want a situation like they have/had down in Houston where they aren't clicking and there's internal discord.   We'll see what happens.

I think though that is a concern for any coach the Colts will be looking at.  But that is a big reason for the interview... to gauge the personality fit.

McDaniels has obviously been successful as the OC in New England, and from what I've read he has matured a lot since losing the job at Denver.  He is still young and a scheme that uses our talent on offense AND that gets the ball our of Luck's hands quickly to help protect him would be beneficial.  Tom Brady is not the most physically gifted QB out there, but the design of the offense allows him to excel.

Plus, if we can TAKE something away from NE for a change and have it work for us, that's icing on the cake!

52 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Wouldn't surprise me if it takes a week....but we all understand that Ballard knows who he wants already....and has for a few months or more.  McDaniels might not be that guy...but Ballard has his primary target already decided and we all know it.

I don't know that at all.

And judging by what I read here plenty of people don't seem to know it.

Seems odd to me you'd write this and not give a definitive name?    Is it McDaniels? Taub?   Nagy?    Someone else?

I hope Ballard doesn't know who he wants and is open to being wowed in an interview.

I'm not mocking you...   I like you and value your opinion...   I'm just curious who you think the red hot guy truly is?

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I get that he's been good at OC, but I just don't know about HC.

I still have this voice in the back of my mind that says "Remember his failure in Denver"

Kind of in the Yoda voice when he says: 

Image result for yoda remember your failure at the cave

I fully understand what you mean. It is one thing to simply run the offense....call plays and help game plan. Its quite another to run the whole scheme. Be in charge of the special teams, defense, offense, challenges, changing game plans, managing player issues, keeping everyone focused, motivated, and in line. That is not easy. NE success is not easy to duplicate because it has been built and ingrained for decades under Bellicheck. It isn't the system in NE...its Belicheck. He could change his system and often times has on defense...and offense...but how the team runs and prepares and holds people accountable all stays the same because it all runs through one man. Can McDaniels be that man?? I don't know and that is what Ballard has to determine. The Denver thing I simply see it as a positive. He went, he saw, he failed. He can learn from his mistakes....he is far from as young as he was...he was given too much control imo...and wasn't ready. I think now he likely is. Does that mean it will still work...nope...but I think his failures in Denver are a huge POSITIVE for him as he has sure to have learned a lot of lessons that he doesn't have to repeat here. I think the staff he puts in place would be very important to if he would succeed here....and I think Ballard will look very closely into that. It takes a village....one great HC can't do it alone he needs strength and leadership at all points of contact with the players. No matter who comes in I will look at that closely...something I think hurt Chuck a lot in his run here.

17 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

Wouldn’t be my choice. He’s done well, but he’s done well with Tom Brady as his QB. 

Always skeptical of co-ordinators that do well with enormous amounts of talent. Prefer over-achievers.

I would prefer Toub because of fit, but I am more than willing to give McDaniels a chance, and think because of the route schemes the Patriots run he could fit in well if he has mastered the interpersonal relationship problem he seemed to have in Denver.

That said, New England does not have enormous amounts of talent, except Brady and Gronk on offense over the years. You can add Cook in there but they just acquired him. The success has been how they scheme and get players to buy in, and learn the position and what each is supposed to be doing. Disipline. Look at the players they have, and each one of them has been tailored to his position. None of them were high draft choices, but now they fit like interlocking pieces. When one leaves, they find another to replace. Welker left, Edelman replaced. Also, while not the OL coach, the OL has been injured and reshuffled so much over the past few years, yet it does not seem to hurt them because of scheme, and getting rid of the ball quickly when necessary. Establish those routes, and then you have time to go down the field and down the middle of the seam with Gronk.