Colts to Interview McDaniels on Thursday

Steamboat_Shaun

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

Awesome. Hope it goes well.

I figured you for one against the idea of him coming here.  I guess I am undecided.  I kind of like him, but I don't know that I have much faith in him..... that could change though.  I would like to hear him talk and get a better idea of what he is all about.  I really only know what I have read and although I have great deal of respect for BB, that doesn't mean his subordinates get a free pass.

9 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Wouldn’t be my choice. He’s done well, but he’s done well with Tom Brady as his QB. 

Always skeptical of co-ordinators that do well with enormous amounts of talent. Prefer over-achievers.

Over achieving coaches = Pagono.

13 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Wouldn’t be my choice. He’s done well, but he’s done well with Tom Brady as his QB. 

Always skeptical of co-ordinators that do well with enormous amounts of talent. Prefer over-achievers.

He was the the QB coach and Coordinator when the Pats went 11-5 with Matt Cassell at QB.

Plus the Pats went 3-1 with mostly Brissett and Jimmy G (thought he was only there for like a game and a half).

And was 6-0 at one point with Kyle Orton as his QB. 

So it's not like ALL his success was around Tom Brady. 

2 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

He was the the QB coach and Coordinator when the Pats went 11-5 with Matt Cassell at QB.

Plus the Pats went 3-1 with mostly Brissett and Jimmy G (thought he was only there for like a game and a half).

Points well made.

He still wouldn’t be my first choice though.

6 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

He's also shown a great ability to adjust his offenses and really attack a defense's weakness.  I don't know how he is as a leader now after his Denver stint, but I think he's one of the better Xs and Os minds available

Again I think the Xs and Os would be fine with Mcdaniels, but I still have concerns about the personality fit between him, Ballard, and Irsay.  Don't want a situation like they have/had down in Houston where they aren't clicking and there's internal discord.   We'll see what happens.

45 minutes ago, chad hugo said:

I feel like this is Irsay's choice and Ballard is just going along. He will probably end up hiring Toub since they are both coming from KC but i could be wrong.

I at least wouldn't be surprised if they had their favorites going into the interviews.

1 hour ago, BR-549 said:

I figured you for one against the idea of him coming here.  I guess I am undecided.  I kind of like him, but I don't know that I have much faith in him..... that could change though.  I would like to hear him talk and get a better idea of what he is all about.  I really only know what I have read and although I have great deal of respect for BB, that doesn't mean his subordinates get a free pass.

I think Luck would kill it in his system. An actual real offense for once.

26 minutes ago, GOZER said:

Just not sure about getting any coaches from that regime after deflategate JMO though.....

I wouldn’t mind I honestly wish we never told because it wouldn’t have made a difference haha  And look what happened after we told..sometimes it’s cool to snitch other times snitches get stitches and boy many of our players have gotten them since then lmao 

Why anyone would even consider hiring that guy is beyond me. The Bronco players quit on him in less than 1 and a half seasons. He was a complete loser as the oc in St. Louis. How long did it take the Bronco franchise to recover from 2 years of McDaniels? Until Peyton got there! Peyton saved that franchise from the McDaniels debacle. The Colts cannot make the same mistake. We shouldn't even be inteviewing that bozo. McDaniels, Mangini, and Crennell have been utter failures as head coaches and O'brien hasn't lit the world on fire either. Saban is from that Belichek coaching tree-Miami anyone?

1 minute ago, Two_pound said:

Why anyone would even consider hiring that guy is beyond me. The Bronco players quit on him in less than 1 and a half seasons. He was a complete loser as the oc in St. Louis. How long did it take the Bronco franchise to recover from 2 years of McDaniels? Until Peyton got there! Peyton saved that franchise from the McDaniels debacle. The Colts cannot make the same mistake. We shouldn't even be inteviewing that bozo. McDaniels, Mangini, and Crennell have been utter failures as head coaches and O'brien hasn't lit the world on fire either. Saban is from that Belichek coaching tree-Miami anyone?

Don't show us all of your intelligence in one post! :facepalm:

7 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

:facepalm:

Reggie Wayne was talking on twitter I believe about going into coaching just like Mathis.  Since Wayne was with the Pats for a little bit I wonder if Mcdaniels was hired would he consider bringing Reggie on in some capacity?  Hmmmm.   I'm just wondering here.  I'm not calling for Mcdaniels to be hired but I do wonder just a little bit.   

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Reggie Wayne was talking on twitter I believe about going into coaching just like Mathis.  Since Wayne was with the Pats for a little bit I wonder if Mcdaniels was hired would he consider bringing Reggie on in some capacity?  Hmmmm.   I'm just wondering here.  I'm not calling for Mcdaniels to be hired but I do wonder just a little bit.   

I'm not sure Reggie was even there long enough for them to have met. haha

23 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I wonder how he would adjust to a Perkins system with all the timing routes and touch passes not things Luck has been know to excel at to this point in his career . 

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

I guess he watched some colts games and figured there would be a job opening for a WR coach . I would love it Wayne was a master route runner if he could teach that look out .

22 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

What is the fascination with Taub or Toub or whatever the proper spelling is

Well Mr Debonair,

My guess is....

..some heard his name associated with, and being -THE GUY- who Ballard wanted (true or not)... so he is an instant home run and/ or a can't miss candidate as they see it.

45 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

The very next year they won their division and kicked out the Steelers from the playoffs. With Tebow. So didn't take so long.

Anyway, he did run amuck in Denver. But read a bit about Belichick's pre-Patriots coaching history, and maybe you realize that past is indeed past sometimes.

I think by bringing him in first Ballard wants to see if McDaniels can really blow him away in the interview before he interviews other candidates.  Ballard knows Toub and Nagy very well and is probably leaning towards one of them.  So there is no urgency in bringing them in.  I think we are McDaniels preferred destination and that's why he is coming to Indy first hoping to convince Ballard that he is the man for the job.  There is a day in between our interview and his Friday interviews.  I think if McDaniels is going to be our coach I think we will know soon.  Ballard will want to lock him up before the Giants or Bears make a move which could happen quickly as well.  If Ballard continues to interview I think it starts looking more and more like Toub or Nagy. 

Toub might be the potential great leader of men Ballard thinks he is, but if you go into this looking to maximize and protect your top asset, Luck, you go with McDaniels.  

With McDaniels, the current O-line is probably 20% better just based on scheme alone.  

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

To be fair, he would kill it in Ried/Nagy's system too. 

Come to think of it, he would kill it in any system other the one we've had for 5 years, and he did pretty well in that one.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I'm hoping they retain the wr coach they brought in last year.  

The Broncos were 24-24 the 3 years preceding McDaniels. 8-8 and 4-12 with Mcdaniels. Then 8-8 and a playoff win over the Steelers. then Peyton arrived and 2 sb's in 4 years. The thing about the 8-8 season in 2011 if some Bear runningback had stayed in bounds the Bears would have run the clock out,but instead had to punt and Tebust took the broncos down and won the game. Without that, the Broncos finish 7-9 but they still may have made the playoffs because the afc west really sucked that year. And, I'm not against McDaniels because he is a pat, I put on here the other day in another topic I would like to see Vrable get this Colt head coaching job. I think Vrable deserves a shot and he knows what it takes to lead(and win).