Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to Interview McDaniels on Thursday

Steamboat_Shaun

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

He was the the QB coach and Coordinator when the Pats went 11-5 with Matt Cassell at QB.

Plus the Pats went 3-1 with mostly Brissett and Jimmy G (thought he was only there for like a game and a half).

And was 6-0 at one point with Kyle Orton as his QB. 

So it's not like ALL his success was around Tom Brady. 

He was the OC in '07 when they went 16-0 as well. Granted we won't have Randy Moss on our roster, that '07 New England offense should not be overlooked.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know that at all.

And judging by what I read here plenty of people don't seem to know it.

Seems odd to me you'd write this and not give a definitive name?    Is it McDaniels? Taub?   Nagy?    Someone else?

I hope Ballard doesn't know who he wants and is open to being wowed in an interview.

I'm not mocking you...   I like you and value your opinion...   I'm just curious who you think the red hot guy truly is?

I like the idea of who I think that McDaniels is - I said exactly that in my earlier post....not that I know who he is or what he is capable of.  I don't think there is a red hot guy out there with Gruden clearly going to the Raiders....but McDaniels makes  a lot of sense to me, and my guess is that he makes sense to Ballard as well.....and the Colts with Luck should make a lot of sense to McDaniels.

I'm not overly impressed with the "Leader of Men" NFL head coaching model, even by great leaders of men, if they aren't gameplan specific tacticians who instill a high sense of discomfort into their players for poor performance.  I'm not talking about screaming.  Tony Dungy instilled a high sense of discomfort into players performing poorly.

All that said....I think that interviews are impactful for NFL head coaches, but I think we're kidding ourselves if we believe that owners and GMs are overly reliant on the interview process - they know who they want going in most of the time.

During his HC tenure in Denver I thought he really messed up by looking to replace Cutler and the fallout that ensued. But as time has passed, his judgment of Cutler's worth has been proven to be accurate. Denver may have given up on him too soon.

1 minute ago, azcolt said:

During his HC tenure in Denver I thought he really messed up by looking to replace Cutler and the fallout that ensued. But as time has passed, his judgment of Cutler's worth has been proven to be accurate. Denver may have given up on him too soon.

Just like Clev. did with Bill

Mcdaniels really wasn't my choice.  However I will say if he has grown in the area of dealing with people and players I could see him being here for a while.   Definitely a strong football mind.   I'd be okay for the most part if they hired him.

45 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

I like the idea of who I think that McDaniels is - I said exactly that in my earlier post....not that I know who he is or what he is capable of.  I don't think there is a red hot guy out there with Gruden clearly going to the Raiders....but McDaniels makes  a lot of sense to me, and my guess is that he makes sense to Ballard as well.....and the Colts with Luck should make a lot of sense to McDaniels.

I'm actually kind of surprised by the amount of Colts fans who'd prefer not to hire McDaniels. For the past 3 seasons we've all been begging for an uptempo, no-huddle, quick release offense to aid Luck in getting rid of the ball and reducing hits. It's been a forum topic on more than one occasion, and that's literally the offensive system McDaniels would bring with him. I for one am all for McDaniels if that's the direction Ballard and Irsay decide to go.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm actually kind of surprised by the amount of Colts fans who'd prefer not to hire McDaniels. For the past 3 seasons we've all been begging for an uptempo, no-huddle, quick release offense to aid Luck in getting rid of the ball and reducing hits. It's been a forum topic on more than one occasion, and that's literally the offensive system McDaniels would bring with him. I for one am all for McDaniels if that's the direction Ballard and Irsay decide to go.

Because if the Colts ran the Pats offense, that would make Luck a "system QB".  How's he gonna get in the HOF like that?

3 hours ago, chad hugo said:

It's the KC connection lol 

Not in the slightest.  For several years, Toub has been atop the HC candidate list.  He is well respected in the league and has worked with Ballard the longest going back to Chicago.  He is probably the best special teams coach in the league.  He has worked under Andy Reid twice and Lovie Smith.  Reid's tree is established as a really good one to pick coaches from so Toub is a very exciting prospect as a coach.

1 hour ago, IinD said:

Would be funny watching us dink and dunk teams to death being we've been the victim of it for years from them.

As much as I hate NE, when that O is clicking, you're in deep doo doo as a defense.

I don't think it'd necessarily be dink & dunk with Luck at the helm, but there'd definitely be significantly less 40 yard pass attempts.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't think it'd necessarily be dink & dunk with Luck at the helm, but there'd definitely be significantly less 40 yard pass attempts.

That was my thinking as well. I was just thinking about those drives where they nickel and dime you for a drive or two then start going deep, then mixing in the intermediate stuff.

I mentioned that part because I'd love to be able to play a little small ball if necessary.

It's unique in how many ways they can attack you.

1 minute ago, IinD said:

That was my thinking as well. I was just thinking about those drives where they nickel and dime you for a drive or two then start going deep, then mixing in the intermediate stuff.

I mentioned that part because I'd love to be able to play a little small ball if necessary.

It's unique in how many ways they can attack you.

No doubt. The Luck/McDaniels tandem could be very exciting assuming all goes smoothly with Andrew's health and he's back on the field sooner than later.

5 hours ago, Dilger85 said:

Not in the slightest.  For several years, Toub has been atop the HC candidate list.  He is well respected in the league and has worked with Ballard the longest going back to Chicago.  He is probably the best special teams coach in the league.  He has worked under Andy Reid twice and Lovie Smith.  Reid's tree is established as a really good one to pick coaches from so Toub is a very exciting prospect as a coach. I wonder if he can chop wood?

OK. But if so we better grab him fast before another team goes after Mr. Excitement.

10 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Maybe Josh will take NY or Bears job if offered while we wait on Ballards KC buddies.

Doubt it. The chance to work with Luck should give any of the candidates pause before accepting any other job. If he waits and doesn't get this job and the Bears and Giants jobs are filled in the meantime what's the worst that happens? He has to stay in New England another year and wait for the next cycle?

If he's smart then he's going to wait on this job. 

6 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Doubt it. The chance to work with Luck should give any of the candidates pause before accepting any other job. If he waits and doesn't get this job and the Bears and Giants jobs are filled in the meantime what's the worst that happens? He has to stay in New England another year and wait for the next cycle?

There's more to it than just wanting to work with Luck.  Part of it is how much control he'll have over player personnel, how the team is trending (in our case and the Bears, it seems to be trending up), and how does he feel about the owners commitment to winning in the process he's defining.  Then there's family considerations, etc..

I know I'm not telling anyone anything they didn't already know.  Does it bother anyone that the Patriots were basically just as good on Offense in the years McDaniels was gone?  Or that of all the BB assistants, O'Brien may be the most successful?  Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Shepman said:

It was just reported on 1070 that the interview was moved up and happened yesterday(Wednesday).

Big storm on the East Coast Thursday.  I also read the Giants are traveling to New England to interview McDaniels on Friday.

16 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

The chance to work with Luck is not as big a draw as you think.  Giants have Eli, and could draft a replacement in the spring.  Plus, Indy is not as big a stage as NY. 

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

There's more to it than just wanting to work with Luck.  Part of it is how much control he'll have over player personnel, how the team is trending (in our case and the Bears, it seems to be trending up), and how does he feel about the owners commitment to winning in the process he's defining.  Then there's family considerations, etc..

I know I'm not telling anyone anything they didn't already know.  Does it bother anyone that the Patriots were basically just as good on Offense in the years McDaniels was gone?  Or that of all the BB assistants, O'Brien may be the most successful?  Just a thought.

Josh will want a patient owner and no one is more patient then Irsay except maybe the owner of the Bengals lol

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Josh will want a patient owner and no one is more patient then Irsay except maybe the owner of the Bengals lol

That's certainly a big part of it.  Can you imagine if the Browns fired Jackson?  I know they'd find someone to take the job, but that guy better not unpack his bags or buy a house. 

18 hours ago, Dilger85 said:

Not in the slightest.  For several years, Toub has been atop the HC candidate list.  He is well respected in the league and has worked with Ballard the longest going back to Chicago.  He is probably the best special teams coach in the league.  He has worked under Andy Reid twice and Lovie Smith.  Reid's tree is established as a really good one to pick coaches from so Toub is a very exciting prospect as a coach.

And Toub is the one guy who has the more important skills that make a good HC, that people here often overlook. So many people are just focused on what offensive and defensive system a coach can bring it but it’s more than that. 

Toub is a really good teacher as he has developed 6 different pro-Bowl ST players. He is probably the best STs coach in the league as several of his units, going all the way back to Chicago, have been best in the league. He’s a former S&C coach who got to learn from Rusty Jones who is one of the pioneers of S&C, as he’s a legend in his own right. So Toub would bring a wealth of info there. He’s a disciplined guy and also pretty big, so he can take over a room. Also, his ties with Reid go farther back than any of these other guys. It goes back to 1989 at the University of Missouri. Players love him.

What are McDaniels credentials? Played under B.B. for years with Brady as QB so he must be good? 

52 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Maybe Josh will take NY or Bears job if offered while we wait on Ballards KC buddies.

Colts are the 2nd best job out there IMO.  The best job out there is the Raiders.  By all accounts that's going to Gruden.

If that's the case then the Colts are the best job available to him.  

15 minutes ago, Roger said:

The chance to work with Luck is not as big a draw as you think.  Giants have Eli, and could draft a replacement in the spring.  

Seriously?    Eli is almost certainly retiring at the end of this contract (hes got 2 more years) and there is no great QB prospect in this draft

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Colts are the 2nd best job out there IMO.  The best job out there is the Raiders.  By all accounts that's going to Gruden.

If that's the case then the Colts are the best job available to him.  

Detroit is a good place with the QB in place....

.....but only fans have forgotten how good Andrew is when healthy and we have draft choice and a little bit of cap space for free agents.

We have a good offense when Andrew is healthy..even when our line is bad and I expect that to improve.

22 minutes ago, Roger said:

The chance to work with Luck is not as big a draw as you think.  Giants have Eli, and could draft a replacement in the spring.  Plus, Indy is not as big a stage as NY. 

The is a negative thing about what you call a big stage in NY. Some coaches may not want the issues of being a coach in NY and dealing with their media.

You also overlook does a coach who has a family think about where they want to move to if they have a choice?

There is a lot more than just the job itself when family is brought into the picture.