Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will the Colts turn it around and make the playoffs?

RockThatBlue

Will Colts turn it around and make the playoffs?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Will Colts make the playoffs?

Tough to say. Honestly, when I look at this team, I do not see a playoff calibre team. One that could compete with the likes of NE, Pittsburgh and Denver. Looking at the roster and coaching staff, it's not very encouraging. I mean they lost to the Jaguars, and needed some late game heroics to beat the Chargers and Bears (whilst letting a BRIAN HOYER led offense hit 500 yards). Judging by that, I doubt they even get close to the playoffs.

Yet here they are, one game out of first in the south, with a huge game this week against Houston. Win that, and not only are you first, but you own the tie breaker as well. And a chance at taking another swing at an AFCS foe the following week (@ Titans). And considering how much people doubt they can swing with the big guns in the AFC, they sure held there own for 58 minutes against the Broncos on the road week 2.

So do I think they turn it around? Honestly no. But am I counting them out? Absolutely not. Either way I'm gonna be rooting the whole way.

4 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Tough to say. Honestly, when I look at this team, I do not see a playoff calibre team. One that could compete with the likes of NE, Pittsburgh and Denver. Looking at the roster and coaching staff, it's not very encouraging. I mean they lost to the Jaguars, and needed some late game heroics to beat the Chargers and Bears (whilst letting a BRIAN HOYER led offense hit 500 yards). Judging by that, I doubt they even get close to the playoffs.

Yet here they are, one game out of first in the south, with a huge game this week against Houston. Win that, and not only are you first, but you own the tie breaker as well. And a chance at taking another swing at an AFCS foe the following week (@ Titans). And considering how much people doubt they can swing with the big guns in the AFC, they sure held there own for 58 minutes against the Broncos on the road week 2.

So do I think they turn it around? Honestly no. But am I counting themes to make the best game for  out? Absolutely not. Either way I'm gonna be rooting the whole way.

Great post!  I expected to come in this thread and see angry posts about the GM, coach and so on.  

I agree 100% I don't think the defense has the talent to crack the top ten and be a serious super bowl contender.  

My personal opinion...Like last year we can hang with anyone...that's good and bad.  We can keep a game close with the big dogs but also with teams like the browns

12 minutes ago, bradgt04 said:

Great post!  I expected to come in this thread and see angry posts about the GM, coach and so on.  

I agree 100% I don't think the defense has the talent to crack the top ten and be a serious super bowl contender.  

My personal opinion...Like last year we can hang with anyone...that's good and bad.  We can keep a game close with the big dogs but also with teams like the browns

Don't worry, this thread will be high jacked with the angry post soon enough.

8 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

I said no even though I think we technically will make the playoffs by taking the AFC South. But it's clear that no AFC South team deserves to be in the playoffs this year.

Any team that wins their division deserves to be in the playoffs. Division crowns are the first step into the playoffs. Every team is 0-0 going into the playoffs and anything can and has happened in the past.

No matter if we think they don't have the team to advance is a whole different thing.

The playoffs are set up by the NFL by having the divisions. Till the system is changed lets say like basketball where it's done by seeding we have what we have. The NFL is pretty strong on tradition so IMO I don't see any changes anytime soon. There was some talk about it couple of years ago but the NFL said no.

41 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

I said no even though I think we technically will make the playoffs by taking the AFC South. But it's clear that no AFC South team deserves to be in the playoffs this year.

Before the season started almost everyone in the media and most people said the Jags and Texans both were 10 win teams. Isn't the Division much better as almost everyone has said 1000's of times? So if we win our Division we deserve to be in. 

Before last week's game against the Bears, I said for the Colts to have a realistic shot this year, they need to win their next 3 games.  

Won the first of those three in ugly fashion last week, but a win is a win.

I stand by what I said, which means they have to win this week versus Houston and next week versus the Titans.  If they fail to do so, then I just don't see them evolving into a for real playoff contender this year.  

If they do take these next two, though, then after that I think they need to go 2/4 over the next four thereafter (KC, GB, Titans, Steelers) with one of those two wins being over the Titans, thereby sweeping them, and then after that, I think they'd need to win 3 of their final 5, with 2 of those wins being Houston and the Jags (Jets, Texans, Vikes, Raiders, Jags).

Ergo, they would finish 9-7 and win the division.   If they do even better than that, though, then I would think that means they have taken a good step forward during the year and I would be hopeful that they could potentially elevate their game in the playoffs and have a realistic shot to go to the SB. 

Fail to to win this week against the Texans and next week against the Titans, though, and I will be of the opinion that they will at best be pretenders that will most likely fall short finishing anywhere between 6-10 to 8-8.

Go Colts!

Eh, super tough to call right now. Especially having our defense back somewhat healthy for only 1 game. I would say mid season we can judge it a bit better. If we continue to not have a pass rush or protect Luck, it may be worthless to even play an extra game if we win the division. I don't think we would end up beating the Steelers or Patriots in the playoffs.

The defense has been so poor,   so completely unable to stop anyone and we make average players look great (Hoyer)  that I'm beginning to wonder how bad things will get when we play a really, really good team.

We did alright for a while against Denver,  but then reality set in.    And besides,  it was only week 2 and we were buried with injuries.

So, if you press me,  I'd guess no.....     but do I think we COULD win the division and make the playoffs?   Yes.   I think the offense might lift us up and carry us to a division title.

I fear I'm guessing more with my heart than with my head,   but that's my hunch...

It's so hard to say. Even if we win our next two games against the Texans and Titans we have a pretty tough schedule from there on out. Texans don't have much of a cakewalk either though.

If I had to guess about how the AFC South shakes out, I'd say it ends as a close three team race with the Titans ending up 6-10, us ending up at 7-9 and the Texans ending up at 8-8 and win the division.

6 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

No.......unless the AFC South ALL finish below .500.

The Division games are critical from here on out. I looked at our schedule and we need to win the rest of our Division games basically which we can do because the Jags still have to come to Indy and the Titans are Average, Texans are Above Average at best but without Watt who knows how that will affect them as the season goes. Brock hasn't been good either. I had us 10-6 at the beginning of the season but didn't have us losing to the Lions at home. 9-7 is still doable if our Defense just slightly improves and our Offense keeps scoring 28 points a game against the Average to Bad teams.

10 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I`m on the 7-9 8-8 bandwagon.
Can we win the 8-8 tie-breaker?  ___ yes!!

Yeah 8-8 is definitely doable and that could win the Division if we get tiebreakers. That loss to the Lions hurts but it's over with and we have to move on. Before the season started I had a feeling we would split with the Jags.

I think it depends on the game this Sunday against Houston.  If we win, I can see us getting to 5-3 at the midway point and then finishing the 2nd half at 5-3 for a 10-6 record and AFC South Champs. As flawed as our roster is and as poorly as we've played, we've been in every game with a chance to win each one.  A win in Houston will be great for our confidence, and I think we'll start to play better. Time for the coaches to make the necessary adjustments and get the most out of the talent we do have.