Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Mutual interest between Colts and Andre Johnson (merge)

Dustin

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's going to be 34 by the time next season starts.  I think he can still be a productive receiver, but I think some people on here are overhyping him a bit.  He could be a really great mentor for Moncrief, Hilton, Carter, and anyone else we decide to bring in

That's all we need. We got two touchdowns out of Reggie last year. Just a veteran leadership with a renewed shot at a Superbowl. He just needs to run short routes and catch short down balls. Let Hilton and Moncrief blow the top off the defense. Look at the Jets when they brought in Tomlinson and Jason Taylor at the end of their careers in 2010 and with their help made the AFC title game. Guys show how much left they have in the tank when they get into a new situation.

He's going to be 34 by the time next season starts.  I think he can still be a productive receiver, but I think some people on here are overhyping him a bit.  He could be a really great mentor for Moncrief, Hilton, Carter, and anyone else we decide to bring in

That's the thing, we only need him for the short term while the other three and possibly a draft pick develop.

He'll sign with another team and we'll all find out the Colts were never interested.

I'm not holding my breath... But I hope we can manage to pull this one off.

I too, hope that we can pull this off. I think he's getting up there in age but we just saw greatness from Reggie until he was 36. Andre Johnson is 32 with a few more good years left.

Also, if we don't get Andre Johnson, then we go after ?????

I too, hope that we can pull this off. I think he's getting up there in age but we just saw greatness from Reggie until he was 36. Andre Johnson is 32 with a few more good years left.

Also, if we don't get Andre Johnson, then we go after ?????

Andre is 33(34 before preseason) not that it matters,really. Its just a number!  :thmup:

Deep deep WR draft...like last years...I expect us to look at someone in the middle rounds but bringing in AJ to fill Reggies shoes with these young bucks to me makes a lot of sense....depends on the numbers and IF he gets released but on a 3 yr deal I think if we can get 2 healthy ones out of him that would be a win for us.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever read. There's no contract between him and the Texans once they release him. He's free to go.

But there is a contract now.  They don't have to release him.  They might be bluffing, but I don't know if he'd call their bluff.  (Then again, the whole story might be made up.)

Andre is getting older and has more injury concerns than Reggie had going into that contract we signed him to during the rebuild but I do think its the right fit at the right time. He slides into that Reggie mold and would make those big stick moving catches...leaving TY to run free. He is also a very good redzone threat...at least big enough. Him and TY starting with Moncrief the third and let Carter and a draft pick battle out playing time and grow. On top of that he would likely go to a team like Baltimore, Seattle, or NE and I don't want to see them get even stronger.

That's all we need. We got two touchdowns out of Reggie last year. Just a veteran leadership with a renewed shot at a Superbowl. He just needs to run short routes and catch short down balls. Let Hilton and Moncrief blow the top off the defense. Look at the Jets when they brought in Tomlinson and Jason Taylor at the end of their careers in 2010 and with their help made the AFC title game. Guys show how much left they have in the tank when they get into a new situation.

That's the thing, we only need him for the short term while the other three and possibly a draft pick develop.

Those expectations make sense.  I thought some people were expecting him to come in and be a 100+ rec, 1200+ yard, 10+ TD kind of guy like he was in his prime.  But if those are the expectations, then I'm all for it.

just saw Mike Chappel RT this. Unless Grigson learned nothing from prior free agency period, it's safe to say he will be next in the revolving FA door of Avery-DHB-Nicks but essentially a Reggie replacement veteran-leadership wise.

While I really don't care if the colts sign AJ or not, he is in a different league than the guys you mentioned.....even at 34.

While I really don't care if the colts sign AJ or not, he is in a different league than the guys you mentioned.....even at 34.

I meant as a tertiary receiver to Hilton and Moncrief the way that those guys were supposed to be the tertiary to Wayne and Hilton the last few years before Moncrief's playing time increased towards the end of last season. That's all he needs to be.

Finally a little reality check I thought I was the only one who realized the guy was 34 best years behind him these guys are acting like we are getting the next Jerry Rice.

It isn't really far to compare him to Avery DHB or Nicks either but keep it realistic.

I like him in the same capacity as you but we still need help at WR.