Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Mutual interest between Colts and Andre Johnson (merge)

Dustin

I repeat, Reggie Wayne's body did not break down. He suffered a freak injury, there is a difference. As for community, there is a 100% guarantee that Reggie and AJ are extremely close friends and AJ would fit in better than any of the prior WR's Grigs brought in. He'd be embraced as a Colt almost exclusively by the organization, the local and national media and another Colt legend, Edge. 

I simply meant that Reggie was drafted by the Colts and had played a role in the Colts past success.  He serves as a link to a successful Colts era.  He was the guy everybody rooted for after Manning left and before the new guys earned their keep.  To the fans, AJ would be just another good guy. 

I don't think that using Reggie's contract would be a good measure for a proposed AJ contract since there was more fan allegiences that played into the Reggie situation that would not be a component of AJ's situation, IMO.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andre Johnson sustained a pretty bad concussion against the Jags near the end of the season.  He is now likely to be more prone to sustaining another going forward.  That coupled with his age make me luke warm about acquiring him.  I'd much rather the Colts go after Brandon Marshall, who is about 3 years younger than Johnson.

Yep, there's Andrew saying, OH No, Reggie's body broke down!!  :(

2 years for 11-12 million for AJ is a very good deal.  Some other team will outbid us though.  Now, will AJ want to play with Luck and go for SB? Or get the last vestiges of a decent $$ contract and another losing year?

Elbow.  Groin.  Not being able to earn his contract this year.

Edit:  I thought AJ has had some nagging injuries in recent years.  Nothing serious, but a recent history that would be a concern.

I simply meant that Reggie was drafted by the Colts and had played a role in the Colts past success.  He serves as a link to a successful Colts era.  He was the guy everybody rooted for after Manning left and before the new guys earned their keep.  To the fans, AJ would be just another good guy. 

I don't think that using Reggie's contract would be a good measure for a proposed AJ contract since there was more fan allegiences that played into the Reggie situation that would not be a component of AJ's situation, IMO.

Understood. Looking at it from a different angle.........Would you disagree, all things considered, that Andre Johnson is better than Reggie Wayne?

Do you really believe that it would be a hard adjustment for an All-Pro wide out who's 33 like Reggie was, who caught over 300 passes over the last 3 seasons and is familiar with Reggie himself to get on board with the best QB he will have ever played with?

Thats a reach.

The problem is the QB not knowing him. Andre caught Zero deep balls last season. Ya think he is slowing down?

And Andrew STILL is below average at fitting shorter passes into tight spots.

Understood. Looking at it from a different angle.........Would you disagree, all things considered, that Andre Johnson is better than Reggie Wayne?

As far as pure skill at the same point in their careers?  I would say that they are about the same.  But I think Reggie was a bit more of a security blanket to Luck back then than AJ would be now.  So Reggie had more value to the Colts then than AJ would have now.

I'm not sure that 3 years ago you could bring in a talented 33 YO receiver and have the same kind of success that Reggie had with Luck then.  That's why I think the Reggie contract with the Colts then is a bit of a special circumstance.

AJ produced twice as much as Nicks, at 6+ years older. I wouldn't sink a bunch of money in him, but I think he'd be better than Nicks.

Didn't Johnson have a really bad year?  Originally I was thinking of Fitzgerald but I didn't think AJ did much better.  Andre was a go2 guy for the Texans, Nicks wasn't!

Didn't Johnson have a really bad year?  Originally I was thinking of Fitzgerald but I didn't think AJ did much better.  Andre was a go2 guy for the Texans, Nicks wasn't!

Yeah, he got a lot more targets than Nicks, that's true. I'm just saying, he's not too old to produce. Especially as a #2 option.

And no, he didn't have a really bad year. He just didn't have the Pro Bowl kind of year that we're used to from him.

No, his year was down for him.  But he had Ryan Mallet for 2 games, Case Keenum for 2 games, and Fitzpatrick for 12 games.  Every year with Matt Schaub (up to 2013) AJ was pro bowl caliber producer (when healthy).  The emergence of Hopkins and devaluation of the Texans QB position did AJ in last year.

The Texans know that they aren't in "the mix" until they find a QB.  By the the time they find their QB and get their offense going AJ would be done, so this was a good way to possibly get AJ off the team and free up money and space for some younger guys.  

The Texans know that they aren't in "the mix" until they find a QB.  By the the time they find their QB and get their offense going AJ would be done, so this was a good way to possibly get AJ off the team and free up money and space for some younger guys.  

Oh yeah, it would be foolish to keep paying him like he's an All Pro. I get it. But they knew he wanted out since last year. Just one of those things.

According to the article I just read, AJ is interested in the Colts, plus a couple other teams. He does not want to be traded. He wants to be released so he can negotiate the best deal he can get, which according to the article is 10M/yr. Seems like a lot to me, but according to Sportsline, 3 teams are willing to pay that much, and the Colts are one. I would really love to have him, but only at around 6-7M. He would be a huge addition for us though, I don't think you can underestimate what he would do for the ofense. Still have plenty of money to sign other FA's, and we put off Luck for a year, and front load the contracts of the FA's do to the cap space we have for 2016. Below is CBS Sportsline article. I wonder who the other 3 teams are? Patriots and ?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25091684/report-3-teams-willing-to-pay-andre-johnson-10-million-in-2015

According to the article I just read, AJ is interested in the Colts, plus a couple other teams. He does not want to be traded. He wants to be released so he can negotiate the best deal he can get, which according to the article is 10M/yr. Seems like a lot to me, but according to Sportsline, 3 teams are willing to pay that much, and the Colts are one. I would really love to have him, but only at around 6-7M. He would be a huge addition for us though, I don't think you can underestimate what he would do for the ofense. Still have plenty of money to sign other FA's, and we put off Luck for a year, and front load the contracts of the FA's do to the cap space we have for 2016. Below is CBS Sportsline article. I wonder who the other 3 teams are? Patriots and ?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25091684/report-3-teams-willing-to-pay-andre-johnson-10-million-in-2015

This time of the year, "sources" usually equals player agents. And sometimes, people just make stuff up. This "report" seems like a combination of the two.

All told, I'd bet the clothes on my back that AJ doesn't make $10m next season, and I'd bet the clothes on my kid's back that the Colts don't pay him $10m next season. And I'm not a betting man.

So many rumours. Can't wait for March 10. At least 1 of them has to be true

GTA V Dropping the Heist Pack on March 10th is true. I got the :colts: app and twitter loaded up for the FA. So while I'm robbing banks on GTA V, I can still keep up with the FA moves

:scoregood:

GTA V Dropping the Heist Pack on March 10th is true. I got the :colts: app and twitter loaded up for the FA. So while I'm robbing banks on GTA V, I can still keep up with the FA moves

:scoregood:

Clubs gonna be going up next Tuesday!!!!

Bravo4460_ add me (PS4)

Oh yeah, it would be foolish to keep paying him like he's an All Pro. I get it. But they knew he wanted out since last year. Just one of those things.

i felt like hopkins breakout season made it easier on them to make the decision regardless of andre's interests from over a year ago

i felt like hopkins breakout season made it easier on them to make the decision regardless of andre's interests from over a year ago

Hopkins still saw most teams #2 corner, while AJ was seeing #1's. If Aj can produce damn near 1000 yards with that group of QB's, he could easily produce here. He will be hard to double team as well with the rest of the weapons the Colts have. I think he's worth 7-8M.

I don't think that Coach O'Brien is stupid.  In fact, just the opposite. 

Saying that Johnson will have a "reduced role" tells me that the coach may not be all that confident in his abilities any more.  Sure, nobody wants to pay $10mill per year if you don't have to, but if Johnson was skilled enough to command, say, $7-$8m, Houston would have no problem overpaying him a couple of million for a few years, IMO.

Why go through the risks of cutting what you think is a productive receiver over 2- 3 mill.

I'm thinking O'Brien feels that Johnson's skills are worth about $4-5m/year, which is why they want to get out from under his contract.

I'd be leary.

I'd be leary inasmuch as he is an older player & they generally take longer to heal when they get nicked up. But Andre is a warrior. He takes good care of his body, like Rice & T.O.  he's good to go & still has enough in the tank to be a productive receiver in today's NFL. 

The thing about his contract with Houston... we've restructured his contract twice, which adds $6M to whatever he's paid in 2015, towards his cap number. So if Houston agreed to pay him $7M in 2015, his cap would be $13M (right now it's $16M & that's what needs to be fixed). 

If we cut or trade Andre, we save $8.8M against the cap. So we're taking an $8M hit no matter what. I would have thought the Texans would structure a deal to get his cap number under $8M in 2015... 2016 & 2017 aren't so bad as the prorated cap bonus number drops to $2M in 2016 & 0 in 2017. 

I think it could be done, but the F.O. has made a total mess of the situation imo. 

If you get Andre, you'll be getting a good football player with something to prove. 

I think AJ (with Reggie) in a time share role could extend both guys careers and give the Colts one productive receiver with experience by combining the two in a shared snap situation...Alone I am not sure how much you could get out of either on their own merit.....and in the right situation Moncrief, Hilton, Johnson, Wayne in a 4 wr set......2 saavy vets and two young burners whatcha' gonna' do?

That's making some leap of faith, assessments, but it is a fun twist to consider.

I think AJ (with Reggie) in a time share role could extend both guys careers and give the Colts one productive receiver with experience by combining the two in a shared snap situation...Alone I am not sure how much you could get out of either on their own merit.....and in the right situation Moncrief, Hilton, Johnson, Wayne in a 4 wr set......2 saavy vets and two young burners whatcha' gonna' do?

That's making some leap of faith, assessments, but it is a fun twist to consider.

I don't see anyway that both Johnson & Wayne would be on the roster.  It would be one of the other.  Can't have two guys like them who would have no impact on ST's.  Your depth at WR must be able to help elsewhere.