Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Mutual interest between Colts and Andre Johnson (merge)

Dustin

If we did get him, I'd feel pretty satisfied with our receiving group locked up right now.

Hilton

Johnson

Moncreif

Carter

Should be easily better than last year.

That is what a lot of people said prior 2014... with Hilton, Wayne, Nicks Brazill and Rogers the Colts WR corps (although most said "core") would be unstoppable.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lmao! Put down the pipe.

And  No one will pay him close to that.

Agree hes made LOTS of money I think its about winning now & his love or lack there of Houston has been going on for  a while now. He signs with the colts, gets to play with Luck, and potentially win, stay in same division, & give Houston back some love. Luck really is the sales point I think for these free agents! :thmup:

That is what a lot of people said prior 2014... with Hilton, Wayne, Nicks Brazill and Rogers the Colts WR corps (although most said "core") would be unstoppable.

It basically was though. a smidge below 4900 yards passing and 42 td's is a dominant passing game by any stretch. Even so, it probably could have been even better if Wayne wasn't hobbled by age and injury in the second half of the season, and Brazill and Rogers weren't utter knuckleheads.

There's less worry about those things with this coming group however.

if we can get one good year out of AJ then i would consider it a good signing.  we dont need him in the distant future, we need him now, while DM and Carter develop.

i think we will offer him about what reggie was making

I do not see us spending $10 Mill per on Andre Johnson.    I'd be stunned if we do....

it wont be 10 mil, but it will be more than 5 per year.  if anyone was willing to pay that much then he would be with another team by now.  if someone wanted to give that much then they would have traded a late round pick to the texans and taken over his current contract.

Nick Ragsdale @NFLCrystalBall Follow

Heard there may be a mutual agreement between #Texans and Andre Johnson that if team released him he wouldn't sign with the #Colts. Hope not

I wouldnt be upset if the Colts didnt get him.  Can take or leave him. 

it was only that they couldn't trade him here, now that he is released.  He can go ANYWHERE he wants and the Texans can't say diddly-poo-squat !!!!!

Yeah but that was a lot of conjecture with Wayne coming off an injury, Nicks coming off a 0 td season, and none of the rest of them being proven. At least this way we'd have Hilton and Johnson, who are proven receivers with no reason to doubt them being a good 1 and 2 next year, and Moncrief who has flashed enough at the NFL level I think to be viewed as an upgrade to Nicks at least.

I think that's true for some teams, but the Colts are not one of them.

The Colts are over the rolling minimum average.

We're not padding contracts just so we can reach the floor.... we're already over the floor and have been.

I do not see us spending $10 Mill per on Andre Johnson. I'd be stunned if we do....

We padded contracts the last two years, that's why we are currently over. so when it jumps this year and next year we will most likely be under. Plus you have to include that anyone who had been cut, they will not be counted against the cap. WE have been front loading them all but we have always been under the cap.

The cap from 2013-2015 equals $399.28M

Over those the years we've spent $323,997,263. That's 81%. With another large jump in 2016 we will be under. The required minimum is 88.8% (89% from other sources) so currently we are not over that minimum nor are we projected to be over that minimum. However Luck and Hiltons contracts will most likely put us over.

We padded contracts the last two years, that's why we are currently over. so when it jumps this year and next year we will most likely be under. Plus you have to include that anyone who had been cut, they will not be counted against the cap. WE have been front loading them all but we have always been under the cap.

Over those the years we've spent $323,997,263. That's 81%. With another large jump in 2016 we will be under. The required minimum is 88.8% (89% from other sources) so currently we are not over that minimum nor are we projected to be over that minimum. However Luck and Hiltons contracts will most likely put us over.

The lists I've seen has never shown the Colts to be one of the team's under the rolling average.    I'm not sure how one would find that,  but I've seen the list and the Colts were not mentioned.

In the next year or two we'll have the Class of '12 plus Castanzo,  the idea that we have to pad to get over seems ridiculous to me.    That group alone will make sure we're over...

Your claim about being below the line and padding the last two years made me think for a moment....

I don't know how 2012 might've factored into that....   we had $40 Mill in Dead Cap space and so only spent $80 Million that year.  Not sure if Dead Cap money counts?     Either way,  I'll ask around here and see what we can come up with....  perhaps you're right...

Geez, If he would come in here and teach Donte and Chris how to play tough and go up and snatch the ball at its peak that would almost make his contract worth it.

Really think he can be productive beyond that, so I'm for going all in on this deal.

Unfortunately it may get expensive if multiple teams get in the bidding.

It basically was though. a smidge below 4900 yards passing and 42 td's is a dominant passing game by any stretch. Even so, it probably could have been even better if Wayne wasn't hobbled by age and injury in the second half of the season, and Brazill and Rogers weren't utter knuckleheads.

There's less worry about those things with this coming group however.

Yeah but that was a lot of conjecture with Wayne coming off an injury, Nicks coming off a 0 td season, and none of the rest of them being proven. At least this way we'd have Hilton and Johnson, who are proven receivers with no reason to doubt them being a good 1 and 2 next year, and Moncrief who has flashed enough at the NFL level I think to be viewed as an upgrade to Nicks at least.

Well, as long as now it's a certainty because things are different.

The lists I've seen has never shown the Colts to be one of the team's under the rolling average. I'm not sure how one would find that, but I've seen the list and the Colts were not mentioned.

In the next year or two we'll have the Class of '12 plus Castanzo, the idea that we have to pad to get over seems ridiculous to me. That group alone will make sure we're over...

Well the numbers I'm pulling are from "over the cap." I pulled the 2013-2015 spending.

Your claim about being below the line and padding the last two years made me think for a moment....

I don't know how 2012 might've factored into that.... we had $40 Mill in Dead Cap space and so only spent $80 Million that year. Not sure if Dead Cap money counts? Either way, I'll ask around here and see what we can come up with.... perhaps you're right...

The league minimum started in 2013. The year groups are from 13-16 and the 17-20. Those are the only numbers I pulled. It wouldn't have factored

Where are you getting the bolded number from?

The Colts cap in 2013 was $129m, and in 2014 it was $123.7m. This year, the Colts have between $119-122m committed (depending on what site you use). That's $370m+. Not $324m. That puts us well above 90%.

What am I missing or counting wrong? What yearly cap numbers are you using?

Edit: See post below. It's cash, not cap.

Edited by Superman

Where are you getting the bolded number from?

The Colts cap in 2013 was $129m, and in 2014 it was $123.7m. This year, the Colts have between $119-122m committed (depending on what site you use). That's $370m+. Not $324m. That puts us well above 90%.

What am I missing or counting wrong? What yearly cap numbers are you using?

Over the cap.

Over the cap.

To make a revision:

Teams are required to have a cash spend of 89% of the cap over a four year period. Not a cap number. Cash.

In 2013, the Colts spent $127m in cash. In 2014, they spent $112.4m in cash. In 2015, pending new moves, they have committed cash of $101m. That's $340.4m. That's about 85% of the ~$400m cap from 2013-2015 so far.

Now we should be speaking languages that are closer to each other.