Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Mutual interest between Colts and Andre Johnson (merge)

Dustin

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can they have a mutual interest?  If the Colts FO mention anything about signing Johnson would that not be tampering?

It gets blurry if he's been granted permission to seek a trade. And in any event, unless the Texans file a grievance for tampering, nothing would come of it. 

Hopkins still saw most teams #2 corner, while AJ was seeing #1's. If Aj can produce damn near 1000 yards with that group of QB's, he could easily produce here. He will be hard to double team as well with the rest of the weapons the Colts have. I think he's worth 7-8M.

oh no i agree completely, i was just saying from the texans FO perspective, even knowing AJ's interest in leaving, they probably wanted to see what happened this year with hopkins and liked what they saw. i think he's also worth that much, and I think at this point in his career he isnt looking for the biggest contract, but moreso the biggest opportunity to get a ring.

Just heard that the Colts would be willing to pay Andre 10 mil per year. That would be incredibly stupid to do for a soon to be 34 year old WR. We should be able to get him for half that.

Don't believe everything you hear, especially in early March.

Just heard that the Colts would be willing to pay Andre 10 mil per year. That would be incredibly stupid to do for a soon to be 34 year old WR. We should be able to get him for half that.

Whoever reported that doesn't know football and doesn't know bad information when he hears it.

We're not paying 34 year old Andre Johnson, on the downside of his career,  10 Mill a year.

Come on now.....

Coming off an 85 catch pretty much 1000 yard season yeah right.. I don't believe it will be 10 million, but it's not going to be 5 million either.

Apparently Johnson's agent just asked for his release from Houston. We could definitely get him on the cheap if that happens.

I wouldn't go that far. He's going to draw interest from both New England and Denver based on what they are able to do with Thomas. SF, and Carolina will likely make a strong push at him as well. There is going to be a market, and the end result isn't going to be cheap at all. He's not going to take a huge money deal from, say, Washington, because he has his freedom and he wants a chance to win, so a team that offers him a good deal and a chance to win will land him.

But not a cheap deal. 

Don't believe everything you hear, especially in early March.

If anything is usually way off this time of year it's true of reports like that one. But I do think he could be worth close to that on a 1 year deal to a lot of teams 

What, why?

Colston's production does not match his contract. They aren't happy with his production, and they aren't thrilled with what they saw out of Brandon Cooks last season.

If there is any way they could have a chance to replace Colston with Johnson they are going to try to make it happen.

Johnson is too old for a WR and players tend to break down physically in their mid 30's. Offense isn't the problem with this team. As long as we have Luck, Hilton, Fleener, Allen, and Moncrief we're going to score points. I'm just not concerned about the offense when Luck is the QB.

We have to get better in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The Patriots are eventually going to lose to us, but it will be because the front 7 of the defense will be improved.

Colston's production does not match his contract. They aren't happy with his production, and they aren't thrilled with what they saw out of Brandon Cooks last season.

If there is any way they could have a chance to replace Colston with Johnson they are going to try to make it happen.

I'm not saying you made up that the Saints aren't "thrilled" with Brandin Cooks, but . . . you totally made it up.

I'm not saying you made up that the Saints aren't "thrilled" with Brandin Cooks, but . . . you totally made it up.

How can they be? They expected big things from him and hyped him up all summer. And then he put up pedestrian numbers even before the injury b

How can they be? They expected big things from him and hyped him up all summer. And then he put up pedestrian numbers even before the injury b

Right, so you made it up. He was on pace for ~80 receptions and 800 yards (before his injury) as a 21 year old rookie. Pedestrian my a**.

I would much rather have Reggie back.  He's a reliable player, a huge positive in the locker room and team leader.  He's also earned the right to go out on his own terms, especially since he stayed in Indy, taking less money than he was worth on the open market to take a chance on a 2-14 team which, if you recall, actually wanted Garcon rather than Wayne but when Pierre blew us off, they begged Reggie to stay so we'd have SOMETHING.  I frankly don't care if he is 50% of his former self, I would rather roll with him than AJ who could himself be 50% his former self anyway.  They're basically the same age.  

I would, however, be fine with bringing in an additional guy to be our #2 using Reggie as our slot receiver/#3.  I am not as high on Moncrief going right to #2 status and being ready I think he's still a #4 (but of course I am just a fan on a message board and clearly not aware of his true development curve and where he falls on it).  Perhaps a last year with Reggie could continue to help him develop or better, maybe he'll turn into a monster #1 in a short time.   I hope so.  

Sometimes your posts make me smfh.

What makes you think Saints, Denver, or Patriots would go after him? What do you mean what Denver does with Thomas? He's tagged. Patriots have no spot for him among Edelman, Gronk, Amendola, LaFell, Dobson, Slater. Saints can't begin to afford or even need him In their line up with Colston, cooKs, stills, Graham.

Wth?

Pick players we NEED not ones that are available.

The most important factor for our continued success is making sure Luck has enough players to throw to.  Through three seasons, you might have an O-line in shambles, a below average defense and a historically bad RB, but as long as Luck has enough people to throw to, you can still be in contention.  

I would like to have Andre Johnson.  Guy clearly is still able to play, high character team guy who keeps his mouth shut, great run blocker, fits our system, still can be a deep threat, can also be used as a possession receiver, great mentor for Moncrief, Carter, and whomever else we draft early or late.  Plus we are super familiar with him from all the years of competing against him.  I don't have a problem with his age because I know we'll bring in another young WR as well.  Let's get the deal done!