Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post-draft needs?

Solid84

What do you think?

I'd like a veteran FS to secure a solid floor if nothing else. Same with CB.

Here's a question for ya: What if JT gets hurt again? Are we confident Hull, Sermon, Goodson, Pennix, Scott can carry that load? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'd say FS, CB, and RB are about the only 3 needs this team currently has in any shape. Need a starter at FS, experienced competition at CB, and a backup RB. I'm sure bargain bin shopping for a RB will be enough. 

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

What do you think?

Here's a question for ya: What if JT gets hurt again? Are we confident Hull, Sermon, Goodson, Pennix, Scott can carry that load? 

Am I the only one that has full confidence in Hull, Sermon, and Goodson to get us through a few games?

I've LOVED Hull's drive ever since the combine where he ran every drill into the end zone. Sermon is good behind this line, and we saw that last year. If Goodson is RB4, we're set; just please, don't pass him the ball on 4th down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DattMavis said:

Am I the only one that has full confidence in Hull, Sermon, and Goodson to get us through a few games?

I've LOVED Hull's drive ever since the combine where he ran every drill into the end zone. Sermon is good behind this line, and we saw that last year. If Goodson is RB4, we're set; just please, don't pass him the ball on 4th down.

I really liked what I saw in Hull as well. He looked really good at training camp last year. Hope he can continue growing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DattMavis said:

Depends on how many games we're talking about. If they need to cover half a season for JT I think we'll notice a drop off. Hull is pretty unknown even if he had a good camp last off season. I imagine Ballard will add a veteran.

5 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

If Goodson is RB4, we're set; just please, don't pass him the ball on 4th down.

That is why we got Anthony Gould for. Like the Josh Allen play in shot gun, motion Gould across with 1 WR lined to that side where he motions to, and call it when teams are crowding the line of scrimmage playing the run for a sideline pass for short yardage.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is why we got Anthony Gould for. Like the Josh Allen play in shot gun, motion Gould across with 1 WR lined to that side where he motions to, and call it when teams are crowding the line of scrimmage playing the run for a sideline pass for short yardage.

This probably sounds ridiculous, but from what limited tape I've seen on Richardson, I have total trust he'd be able to execute this type of situation very well. He seems to really know his stuff for redzone scoring. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

This probably sounds ridiculous, but from what limited tape I've seen on Richardson, I have total trust he'd be able to execute this type of situation very well. He seems to really know his stuff for redzone scoring. 

...and the division winner Texans lost both games vs Lamar Jackson scoring TDs and AR in game 1 scoring TDs vs them, see a pattern?? That is why I think him being healthy gives us the edge vs the Texans in particular, and to an extent the Jaguars. 

Against the Titans, he just needs to pass like Minshew did because those dudes play the run very well and like to spear QBs and their shoulders (Luck, AR...) to the ground like a bad habit. ☹️

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Against the Titans, he just needs to pass like Minshew did because those dudes play the run very well and like to spear QBs and their shoulders (Luck, AR...) to the ground like a bad habit. ☹️

They injured Peyton too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I believe the #2 running back is not yet on the roster.  The Colts will make a trade for a veteran RB if they have to.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Budda would be the ultimate cherry on top. He would fill that Earl Thomas role in this defense perfectly. Great idea. 

Yeah, I can't see them spending about $15M on a FS when there are a few other veterans that could do the job.  Hopefully Cross gets his head together and can take the spot.  He has the physical abilities.  Not sure if he has the football smarts.

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yeah, I can't see them spending about $15M on a FS when there are a few other veterans that could do the job.  Hopefully Cross gets his head together and can take the spot.  He has the physical abilities.  Not sure if he has the football smarts.

I understand what your saying but if FS is an important position if Gus’s system why not make a move and nail it down for the next 3-4 years when you don’t have to pay your quarterback.  He’s in his prime.  Pass rush is important and with Latu it now has a chance to be great.  What’s missing is that FS stud.  Baker could be the final piece. Just sayin.

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

What do you think?

Hull, yes. 

• Like 2

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Vet CB and vet safety. We could use a RB too. I don’t want to run Taylor into the ground. Ballard was asked about RB after the draft and he seemed to be open to it.

Agree on the RB.  I would like another veteran in that group that has proven they can run between the tackles. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I understand what your saying but if FS is an important position if Gus’s system why not make a move and nail it down for the next 3-4 years when you don’t have to pay your quarterback.  He’s in his prime.  Pass rush is important and with Latu it now has a chance to be great.  What’s missing is that FS stud.  Baker could be the final piece. Just sayin.

I think Baker is overrated, especially at $15m/year. I don't see him as a potential final piece, I'm not even sure he's better than Blackmon. 

• Like 1

Curious to hear what the Board believes Justin Simmons’ likely paycheck will be. He’s the FS that can truly make the secondary better. Can he be had for $8-9 m/ yr on a fully guaranteed 2 yr deal? 

1 hour ago, Goatface Killah said:

Budda would be the ultimate cherry on top. He would fill that Earl Thomas role in this defense perfectly. Great idea. 

I'm not sure it's right to keep comparing this defense to Legion of Boom, even fundamentally both defenses may not be similar apart from having similar formation.

For example, did Seattle have similar coverage scheme like the way Gus has been calling? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Creekside said:

I believe the #2 running back is not yet on the roster.  The Colts will make a trade for a veteran RB if they have to.

Yes, the back-up RBs aren't going to even move the chains consistently. They'll need to get a veteran in case of injury, as some RBs are always available during the season too. Getting someone earlier might not be bad idea, but that's up to FO. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I'm not sure it's right to keep comparing this defense to Legion of Boom, even fundamentally both defenses may not be similar apart from having similar formation.

For example, did Seattle have similar coverage scheme like the way Gus has been calling? 

Yes, Gus was the defensive coordinator for part of those boom defenses.  Lots of cover 3

19 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Curious to hear what the Board believes Justin Simmons’ likely paycheck will be. He’s the FS that can truly make the secondary better. Can he be had for $8-9 m/ yr on a fully guaranteed 2 yr deal? 

Simmons' record as the safety who has picked off Mahomes the most is enough for me to invest in a 2 year deal on his length at free safety. He doesn't need to lay the wood as much as get us INTs, that part he is good at.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think Baker is overrated, especially at $15m/year. I don't see him as a potential final piece, I'm not even sure he's better than Blackmon.  

The Cardinals obviously think he is a great player or they wouldn’t have paid him.  You pay your own good players as Ballard has shown he will do.  The Cardinals did the same thing by paying him.  I see him as a potential final piece not a one or two year solution.

I think the running back room is fine, Hull and Sermon, and then Goodson and Pennix. Pennix has an very good chance of making the team. We will have solid depth behind Taylor this season. If Pennix makes the team Goodson will be the odd man out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

But those players cant do the job as well as Baker.

The entire idea is to put the best team out there you can. The money isnt an issue really. We have it. 

38 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Im not comparimg anyone to the legion of boom. 

The more talent you have, the more options you have when calling the game. The addition of Baker would simply give us more flexibility in coverage, and thats a good thing. 

I still think a starting quality FS. I don't trust Nick Cross or Rodney Thomas. I think we need a vet corner so not all the pressure is on Jaylon Jones to be our outside starting CB. I also think we're way too young and inexperienced at T depth wise. Freeland has potential, but after him the depth is in question 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

“Not sure he has the football smarts”.

Would you like to elaborate on this?  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

To the others that quoted me about being able to afford Budda, I agree and am with you.  It makes sense.  I just can’t see Ballard dishing that out, even if he’s worth it.  I hope I’m wrong.  

As far as football smarts, Cross looked lost out there at times.  I’m not saying he’s isn’t a bright person, just that I haven’t seen him make the best decisions.   I was really hoping he’d grow into that spot, and he still may.  Reps are important and he should be getting them if they don’t pick someone up.

I think it will be obvious in practice, if he knows where he should be and can keep up with the speedy WRs.  The question is, will they acknowledge that or keep hoping he develops (ala Pryor and Pinter a couple years ago).  

• Like 1

Lb, lb, lb! By far the weakest position on the colts. Colts lb’s make rushing tackles 5 yards down field and can’t cover anyone, number of tackles is the most misleading stat in football and colts lb’s are great at it, big deal. The nfl has mobile qb’s and short passing plays, that is what hurt the colts all year. Not good against the run, the pass, and not good blitzes. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, NJFanatic said:

As far as RB maybe Boston Scott could be the Vet back-up, I believe he is still available

It appears he's still available...I was thinking about him too. Seems like he'd be more like Heins than Moss, but he was very productive for the Eagles

5 hours ago, DattMavis said:

Or don’t throw him a pass with nothing on it and behind. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not that it is right to make these assumptions. I think when someone comes with  all the physical traits and in Cross' case, I would say elite traits to play FS.  People tend to assume it is because of lack of instincts, inability to grasp the play book, immature , playing out of position  and/or all of the listed reasons. I don't agree with  the term football smarts, but  i kind of get where the person is coming from.