Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kwity? Yes or No on the Option. ** Update pg 2. Option Exercised**

Its not an easy call, I would lean towards no.  I want him back but 13.5 guaranteed is a little steep for him.   

Edit- the more i think about it the more i doubt the team will do it.  The option would pay him more in one year than hes made in his career.  

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Probably not but colts could also be working on a extension instead of paying him 13 million.

They can take the option to pick up the 5th year and then sign him to an extension. So I doubt this is holding up the decision. The Colts always seem to wait until the deadline to announce cuts and things like this.

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

They can take the option to pick up the 5th year and then sign him to an extension. So I doubt this is holding up the decision. The Colts always seem to wait until the deadline to announce cuts and things like this.

Why pay 13 million when they can sign him now or in the offseason. By doing that they would be risking paying him that much when they don’t have to.

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Probably not but colts could also be working on a extension instead of paying him 13 million.

That seems to be the most likely option other than just picking up the 5th year.

• Like 1

Yes

$13.1m isn't very much.

$11m - Ebukam 

$13.1m - Paye

$4m - Latu

Would cost about $28m next year. (5) DEs make that on their own next year. 

Bosa - $36.4m

Watt - $30.4m

Burns - $29.75m

Chubb $29.3m

Crosby - $27m

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I just listened to a podcast and they said teams had to make a decision by 5pm today.  I don’t know if that is correct.  If so they have already made it.

Tomorrow 

No on a 5th year option. Yes to an extension after this year. I just don't think $13 million annually is the right number for a great run defender.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Yes

$13.1m isn't very much.

$11m - Ebukam 

$13.1m - Paye

$4m - Latu

Bosa - $36.4m

Watt - $30.4m

Burns - $29.75m

Chubb $29.3m

Crosby - $27m

I didn’t realize Samson was making that much. Seems like that might be a good extension amount for Paye. Isn’t Samson a FA after the season? So it would work.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I didn’t realize Samson was making that much. Seems like that might be a good extension amount for Paye. Isn’t Samson a FA after the season? So it would work.

FA 2026

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Why pay 13 million when they can sign him now or in the offseason. By doing that they would be risking paying him that much when they don’t have to.

Teams take the 5th year option if they want to be assured that they have the player for at least one more season. Suppose he wants 15 mill per year when they go to negotiate a new contract ? If the Colts don't think 13 mill is a good number , then they will pass. My guess is that number is not outrageous and the Colts will take the 5th year option. 

• Like 1

People like to trash Paye. But he is a great edge setter who can get almost ten sacks. That is a really good player. I see where some were coming from with Dayo being the man out. Because Paye and latu are different types of players and you need both. So they could decide to keep Paye and not Dayo. Dayo though is so versatile and really good I would hate to lose him after the season. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

People like to trash Paye. But he is a great edge setter who can get almost ten sacks. That is a really good player. I see where some were coming from with Dayo being the man out. Because Paye and latu are different types of players and you need both. So they could decide to keep Paye and not Dayo. Dayo though is so versatile and really good I would hate to lose him after the season. 

With the (3) I listed earlier for around $28m.

There probably is $8-$12m for Dayo and still be comfortable. 

Need to be (8) deep. We shouldn't be letting any good guys walk out the door is we can help it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It took him a while just to catch on but if you watch him closely, he doe not  always give the maximum effort. He’s lazy when it comes to tackling as well so I say no. Remember one thing we had 51 sacks last year, but we still let quarterback set there in the pocket and pick us apart. We need defensive lineman no quit in them.

3 hours ago, w87r said:

Yes

$13.1m isn't very much.

$11m - Ebukam 

$13.1m - Paye

$4m - Latu

Bosa - $36.4m

Watt - $30.4m

Burns - $29.75m

Chubb $29.3m

Crosby - $27m

Maybe they do an extension like Mike Danna with the Chiefs

My hunch is no.  I think they’ll explain to him that they let Pittman play out his rookie contract and the Colts re-signed him to 3/70.   They’ll tell him they want him to be a Colt for many years and he’ll also have the freedom to shop himself in a year to other teams which will only maximize his deal.  

So I’m guessing no, with the understanding Paye will ultimately be a Colt for years to come. 

• Like 7

You can never have too many pass rushers - even if he is better suited at setting an edge. If he gives us 8+ sacks a year. Pay the man. We aren't going to be at the top of the draft anymore for a few years so may as well stick with the devil you know! Tongue in cheek of course on the devil comment......

• Like 4

8 hours ago, w87r said:

We shouldn't be letting any good guys walk out the door is we can help it.

Declining the option doesnt mean they are letting him walk.  It does happen often when the option is declined but 13.5 is a lot for him

I doubt they will pick it up today 

10 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Declining the option doesnt mean they are letting him walk.  It does happen often when the option is declined but 13.5 is a lot for him

I doubt they will pick it up today 

Picking it up, guarantees he doesn't walk out the door after next season.

Gives you 2 more years to evaluate. Pretty cheaply too. 2yrs $17.5m.

Don't see any reason to roll the dice, might only get more expensive, if his trajectory keeps going up this year.

Projected to have $56-$70m in cap next year, with his option already figured in.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Its not about how much the team has

It's about who else is Free Agents vs cap space, propensity to pay our own, can we find better 2-way(run-pass) production for less, is it worth a gamble? Fact that we have the top defensive player on our board from the draft under cheap contract, makes it easier to offset funds. Like I said we can almost have 4 DEs with the funds paid to Bosa by himself. The fact that all I hear from the Colts is glowing reviews about him.

In my opinion the Colts brought Latu in to start opposite of Paye, in the long term. Ebukam will be 31 when he's due for a new contract in 2026.

Just because we exercise the option, doesn't mean we can't work on an extension if his trajectory shows continued growth.

Good thing is we will know in a few hours.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

My hunch is no.  I think they’ll explain to him that they let Pittman play out his rookie contract and the Colts re-signed him to 3/70.   They’ll tell him they want him to be a Colt for many years and he’ll also have the freedom to shop himself in a year to other teams which will only maximize his deal.  

So I’m guessing no, with the understanding Paye will ultimately be a Colt for years to come. 

The only problem with that approach is going into FA his price will be higher.

Extend him now for cheaper 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree.  I don't think they'll do it.  It leaves them greater options.  They can still sign him to an extension before the season is out.  They can let him test free agency.  Or they can walk away from him, depending on how things work with Latu.  Or keep him if Tyquan or Dayo get injured (again).  It's just more options.  I don't think they'll do it today.

I like Kwity, but $13m is too much for what he brings in my opinion. From my understanding he's been working on his pass rush this offseason. Ballard has said he needs to improve in that area. I'd like to see him actually improve before the Colts give him more money. If he does, give him a contract that reflects that. If he doesn't, give him a contract that reflects that.

• Like 1

I say yes because it gives you more time to extend him instead of having to work on him, Dayo, and Speed. Ryan Kelly and Will Fries are also up next season. Kwity imo is very important to the line in terms of setting the edge and stopping the run.