Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kwity? Yes or No on the Option. ** Update pg 2. Option Exercised**

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

The only problem with that approach is going into FA his price will be higher.

Extend him now for cheaper 

The fully guaranteed $$ has to be exremely enticing. IMO, with the addition of Latu this increases Dayos value on the inside. More snaps giving Buckner a few more snaps off, and also playing inside with Buckner. 

Year 4 is the beginning of NFL Prime. Their best years are ahead and I think they will be SB caliber teammates. We should be negotiating to extend both.

Price Price Price 

• Like 1

I like Paye, but I wouldn't use the option. Let him and Dayo play out their fourth year, and then decide what to do from there. And leave the door open for a new contract during the season, which the Colts have done with other players in recent years.

And my prediction is the Colts don't use the option. It feels like they would have done so already if that was their intention.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I like Kwity, but $13m is too much for what he brings in my opinion. From my understanding he's been working on his pass rush this offseason. Ballard has said he needs to improve in that area. I'd like to see him actually improve before the Colts give him more money. If he does, give him a contract that reflects that. If he doesn't, give him a contract that reflects that.

I agree.  Now maybe Partridge can help him improve.  That would be great.  But I can also see his snaps going down with Latu starting.  I read where Latu is also very good at setting the edge.  And you have Dayo competing for snaps as well.   Maybe Kwity can move to the other side?  Lots of possibilities.  I would think the odds of him  exploding and having a record year are very long.  So deciding to give him all that guaranteed money makes no sense for me.  Follow the Pittman path.  They are waiting to the last day so it’s obviously not an easy decision.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Good thing is we will know in a few hours.

I don't actually care if they give him that money, I just don't think they will or that hes reached that pay grade

If they do i wont be mad at all, I think its unlikely though.

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree.  Now maybe Partridge can help him improve.  That would be great.  But I can also see his snaps going down with Latu starting.  I read where Latu is also very good at setting the edge.  And you have Dayo competing for snaps as well.   Maybe Kwity can move to the other side?  Lots of possibilities.  I would think the odds of him  exploding and having a record year are very long.  So deciding to give him all that guaranteed money makes no sense for me.  Follow the Pittman path.  They are waiting to the last day so it’s obviously not an easy decision.  

I think Paye’s snaps could drop. 

I know it would seem like Latu fits best at LEO, but Latu has actually been most productive from the QBs strong side - REO.

On pass downs I could see Ebukam at LEO, Dayo, Buck and then Latu at REO. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

... know it would seem like Latu fits best at LEO, but Latu has actually been most productive from the QBs strong side -REO...

Interesting! I had guessed the opposite based on his size/measurements. Thanks for the info!

As for the topic question, I say yes! That price isn't that high for a DE. I think he takes a step up this year & next.

• Like 1

Pick up the fifth option is not a bad idea because Kwitty needs to make it happen this year. That only means him going all out. Stay healthy all year. Dayo is in the same boat end of next season. With Partridge new DL coach it is going to be fun to watch. The DL is the only way our secondary can contain those better WRs.

Just remember the first Texan TD in the last game last season. What a failure!

15 hours ago, w87r said:

Yes

$13.1m isn't very much.

$11m - Ebukam 

$13.1m - Paye

$4m - Latu

Would cost about $28m next year. (5) DEs make that on their own next year. 

Bosa - $36.4m

Watt - $30.4m

Burns - $29.75m

Chubb $29.3m

Crosby - $27m

13.1 is not much as you say but what is the going rate for someone with his talent in free agency and the position he plays. Plus, he is not even guaranteed a starting job. Latua will be our starting RDE and Paye and Ebukam will probably be rotating. Not sure I would do it.

5 hours ago, w87r said:

Picking it up, guarantees he doesn't walk out the door after next season.

Gives you 2 more years to evaluate. Pretty cheaply too. 2yrs $17.5m.

Don't see any reason to roll the dice, might only get more expensive, if his trajectory keeps going up this year.

Projected to have $56-$70m in cap next year, with his option already figured in.

I think with the addition of Latua, his playing time will go down and  therefore, he will not put up stats this year that will justify the 5th year. Don't do it and let it play out.  I really don't see anyone beating down his door after this season if the season plays out as I expect it will with their new addition and his playing time being reduced.

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Maybe a dumb question.  If they extend him can’t they decide to cut him before the season 

Are they on the hook for the whole amount?

5th year option is guaranteed once picked up.

• Like 2

• w87r changed the title to Kwitty? Yes or No on the Option. ** Update pg 2. Option exercised**

I think that $13m was scaring some people?

It really isn't a lot of money for good starting DE.

I thought this was a pretty easy decision.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• w87r changed the title to Kwity? Yes or No on the Option. ** Update pg 2. Option Exercised**
2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Apparently not for them.  They took it down to the last hour.  Good for him though.  Hopefully he keeps improving.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Apparently not for them.  They took it down to the last hour.  Good for him though.  Hopefully he keeps improving.

Just because they took it down to the last hour doesn't mean it was a tough decision.

They could of just been trying to work on an extension instead of using the option.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Just because they took it down to the last hour doesn't mean it was a tough decision.

They could of just been trying to work on an extension instead of using the option.

No it does not . They often are late in announcing things like this. Example would be reporting final cuts. We usually get them hours and hours after other teams have reported theirs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, w87r said:

I agree, it isn't that much and I feel he will earn it.  I hope they start working on Dayo now.  Both Kelly and Fries are Free Agents after this season, with a possibility of clearing close to 20 milllion off the cap...not sure of the exact numbers but I believe Kelly has a 14mil cap hit and Fries a 3+mil hit this year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Imo it's the correct move. I don't think people understand Paye's importance to the line. I get he hasn't exactly lived up the first round bill, but he's the Erik Walden of our dline. Someone who isn't exactly the most flashy player, but is needed for the job he does.

Yeah, he is one of the better 2-way DEs in the league, imo. Great against the run, and solid against the pass, and improving every each year so far. 

Like I said, I didn't even think they were considering not picking it up. The Latu pick only made it make more sense, to me, as we have him on rookie deal, freeing up money to keep the position deep for next few years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheNewGuy said:

I agree, it isn't that much and I feel he will earn it.  I hope they start working on Dayo now.  Both Kelly and Fries are Free Agents after this season, with a possibility of clearing close to 20 milllion off the cap...not sure of the exact numbers but I believe Kelly has a 14mil cap hit and Fries a 3+mil hit this year.

The nice thing is they drafted guys that could allow them to move on from fries next season. I don’t know how I feel about moving on from Kelly. A young QB needs an experienced center for protection calls. But maybe Richardson after another year under his belt will have enough experience.  Bt at least they drafted guys if they want to move on without having to pay a FA. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The nice thing is they drafted guys that could allow them to move on from fries next season. I don’t know how I feel about moving on from Kelly. A young QB needs an experienced center for protection calls. But maybe Richardson after another year under his belt will have enough experience.  Bt at least they drafted guys if they want to move on without having to pay a FA. 

I would think just the opposite. Keep Fries if he agrees to a reasonable deal and move on from Kelly. 

24 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I agree, I was just giving examples of how the cap could increase, plus it goes up usually every year.  Not to mention re-working Q's and Smith's deals.  There are plenty of ways to absorb the 13mil.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It took them to the last hour to announce it.  It doesn’t mean that’s when they made the decision.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

There was no reason to do it sooner.   

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I doubt they were biting their nails trying to decide until the last second.   I'm sure they knew what they were going to do long ago

Just now, richard pallo said:

Or to wait until the last hour either.

What if he tore a bicep or quad working out a week ago.  Plenty of reason to wait

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Defensive Line:

DT DeForest Buckner signed through 2027

DT Grover Stewart signed through 2026

DE Kwity Paye signed through 2025

DE Samson Ebukam signed through 2025

DE Tyquan Lewis signed through 2025

DT Raekwan Davis signed through 2025

DE Dayo Odeyingbo signed through 2024

DT Adetomiwa Adebawore rookie deal through 2026

DE Laiatu Latu rookie deal through 2027 (and maybe 2028)

DT Jonah Laulu rookie deal through 2027

DE Titus Leo signed through 2026

DT Eric Johnson signed through 2025

DT Taven Bryan signed through 2024

DE Isaiah Land signed through 2024

DE Genard Avery signed through 2024

Thanks John.  This is really good work.  Top notch.   And you may want to bookmark it so you can retrieve it whenever you want.   This is the type of content you can re-post twice a year or as need be.   Thanks again!  

:scoregood:      :worthy:      :colts:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Or to wait until the last hour either.

Like I said earlier, they could've been trying to sign an extension instead of using the option.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Exactly. At most it's a slight overpay. At worst he's a ~$20M extension guy. If you're going to use the keep your own strategy you can't pass up a moderate year for a guy that's good not great but improving every season

• Like 1

Just now, w87r said:

Like I said earlier, they could've been trying to sign an extension instead of using the option.

I'm pretty sure this was exactly it. 

• Like 1