Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Mutual interest between Colts and Andre Johnson (merge)

Dustin

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The positional spending total of offense and defense. Just now thought about it. Didn't count special teams lol.

Kickers are people too

Ha. Yeah, you might have left off the dead money, too. Cash spent for players who didn't stay on the roster all season. Spotrac adds it all up, and has a cash chart. They might differ from OTC here and there, but they have better access to historical data right now. They also include the projected draft picks for 2015.

Either way, all the Colts have to do is spend ~$16m more than they have committed right now, and they'll be above 89% for three years. If we get extensions done for Hilton, Fleener and/or Allen, that's easy. 

Hey, I've got a great idea, let's release Reggie Wayne who is old to bring in Andre Johnson who is old. That makes perfect sense, don't ya think Ryan?

AJ has more in the tank than Reggie right now. It's sad but it's the truth. We need AJ's veteran presence to lead our WR troops into battle!

Ha. Yeah, you might have left off the dead money, too. Cash spent for players who didn't stay on the roster all season. Spotrac adds it all up, and has a cash chart. They might differ from OTC here and there, but they have better access to historical data right now. They also include the projected draft picks for 2015.

Either way, all the Colts have to do is spend ~$16m more than they have committed right now, and they'll be above 89% for three years. If we get extensions done for Hilton, Fleener and/or Allen, that's easy.

I just now realized I'm debating cap numbers with Superman. I bow out. To many beers.

Well the numbers I'm pulling are from "over the cap." I pulled the 2013-2015 spending.

I don't know if you saw the question I put out to board members....   but Superman has responded....   and I'm cutting and pasting it here..... 

Between 2013 and 2016 (and again, between 2017 and 2020), teams have to spend 89% of the NFL salary cap on player contracts.

In 2013, the cap was $123.6m. In 2014, the cap was $133m. 

In 2013, the Colts spent about $129m against the cap (due to rollover cap space and retroactive cap adjustments). In 2014, the Colts spent about $123.7m against the cap. 

So far, over the previous two seasons, we're at about 98.5%. 

In 2015, the cap is $144.8m. In order to stay at 89%, we have to spend about $105m against the cap in 2015. We already have $122m committed to the 2015 cap, pending additional roster moves. 

If we don't spend anything else but the $122m we already have committed, and the 2016 cap goes all the way to $160m, then we'd have to spend $125m in 2016.

Long story short, we're on pace to meet and exceed the 89% spending floor from 2013-2016.

Andre Johnson's brother tweeted 4 teams Andre is interested in _ Seahawks, Colys, Pats and Packers.

— Terry Blount (@TerryBlountNHRA)

March 10, 2015

All of the teams in the conference championships.

Edit: Ignore the twitter typo haha

The good news in this group is that the Colts have the most cap space to make the best offer if we want to.

If we get out-bid for Johnson it's because another team is willing to spend more...  

And Green Bay wouldn't seem to make much sense given that they have Nelson and now Cobb making very big money.

The tweet you mean?

I guess his brother could be talking about the teams he wants AJ to play for, but I'm sure Schefter will tell us in the morning.

Yeah, I think he's just saying he wants a ring. I think its cool players like Gore and AJ view us as a great team to get on for a ring.

9 m$ per year?? Really? I'd rather give 8M$ to Demarco Murray than give 9M$ to AJ. There is no way any team gives him 9M$ a year. I think 6 is his ceiling.

Soooo you'd rather pay money to a guy who ran behind arguably the best OL in the league, but wouldn't pay a guy who produced almost 1000 yards with 3 very poor QB's. So to reiterate, you want to bring in a RB who will NOT have the best OL to run behind, BUT don't want to bring in a WR who WILL have, arguably, a top 5 QB throwing to him? I'm just making sure I understand your logic...

Soooo you'd rather pay money to a guy who ran behind arguably the best OL in the league, but wouldn't pay a guy who produced almost 1000 yards with 3 very poor QB's. So to reiterate, you want to bring in a RB who will NOT have the best OL to run behind, BUT don't want to bring in a WR who WILL have, arguably, a top 5 QB throwing to him? I'm just making sure I understand your logic...

Sooooo you would rather give 9M$/year to a 34 year old wr, when there are many many many other wr out there that could catch 1000 yards from our QB, vs give 8M$/year to last years leading rusher, when our 3M$/year RB can hardly make it back to the line of scrimmage?  I'm just making sure I understand your logic..

Does the Patriots even have the cap space to meet his needs?

We have the cap.

We throw the ball.

We have Luck.

Hopefully we are signing your boy Gore.

Come to Indy, it's a perfect match.

Im not sure but they were talking on espn last night about this and they said even not opting to pick up Revis's option still had the pats with very little room to make big moves, especially if McCourty resigned

Does the Patriots even have the cap space to meet his needs?

We have the cap.

We throw the ball.

We have Luck.

Hopefully we are signing your boy Gore.

Come to Indy, it's a perfect match.

Just checked, overthecap.com has them at just under 4 million under the cap.

Johnson is too old and it's more likely that he gets injured again with so much mileage on his body. The same with Gore, the colts need to pursue players in their prime not players at the end of their careers.

Agree somewhat, Gore hasn't missed a game since 2011 and hasn't been under 1000 yards since then either. Johnson has missed 1 game since 2011. He had 85 catches last year for almost a thousand yards with dog doo doo throwing to him. They don't need to be the players they were, they just need to be the players we need them to be. Gore needs to balance the offense by getting 4 yards a clip so the next time we play the patriots they don't just play the pass the entire time. Johnson just needs to create separation for short 3-4 yard routes while TY and Moncrief blow the top off the defense. Two guys who actually have a chance to compete for a title (Gore had a 3 year window that since shut). For the right price I'm down with this, just draft another RB though.