Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

WarGhost21

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, stitches said:

This is something I can't figure out with some of those network evaluators. Are they putting out rankings based on their personal opinions or based on what they hear from teams? Both are valuable in certain ways, but fundamentally different ways. 

Honestly, I think it’s mostly them, and their own opinions.   But to be clear,  most have their friends in the business.   Personnel experts who they've had for years and trust to give them the straight scoop.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

This is something I can't figure out with some of those network evaluators. Are they putting out rankings based on their personal opinions or based on what they hear from teams? Both are valuable in certain ways, but fundamentally different ways. 

Most guys have their sources within organizations.  Additionally most NFL teams subscribe to a scouting service, either BLESTO (if you google BLESTO you will find some good articles explaining both services) or National so a lot of the bigger media outlets also have subscribe, so they have access to the same information as the teams.

The reports from these services are more a starting point for teams and so everyone can get a feel of the overall value of a player (potential draft round) teams then have their owns scouts and their own requirements.  But when media outlets refer to someone falling in the draft or a steal they are basing it on the information received from one of these services.

Interesting article in the Indy Star about what’s not being said from Reich, Sirianni and Ballard, regarding Brissett.

Bottom line to me is accuracy and decision making are the two things they look for in a QB but none of them attribute these qualities to Brissett as his strengths.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2020/01/10/its-what-colts-didnt-say-jacoby-brissett-raises-red-flags/2807583001/

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Interesting article in the Indy Star about what’s not being said from Reich, Sirianni and Ballard, regarding Brissett.

Bottom line to me is accuracy and decision making are the two things they look for in a QB but none of them attribute these qualities to Brissett as his strengths.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2020/01/10/its-what-colts-didnt-say-jacoby-brissett-raises-red-flags/2807583001/

The need for accuracy has to come with the right touch.
  Joe Flacco had a playoff run for the ages in all facets of throwing.
   It was fun to watch.
  And we have a QB with chilling red flags.

I want to ask a legitimate question. Why is everyone so against Jacoby. He is still currently the QB1 for your favorite team. What I don’t understand is why you wouldn’t want to at least hope that, even as a bridge QB, he would improve next year. Hell, why wouldn’t you want him to have everything click and have a great year and be the guy. Then you don’t have to go and find one. 

I guess I just come from a time that we cheered for our players to succeed, not suck just because we didn’t like them. 

3 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I want to ask a legitimate question. Why is everyone so against Jacoby. He is still currently the QB1 for your favorite team. What I don’t understand is why you wouldn’t want to at least hope that, even as a bridge QB, he would improve next year. Hell, why wouldn’t you want him to have everything click and have a great year and be the guy. Then you don’t have to go and find one. 

I guess I just come from a time that we cheered for our players to succeed, not suck just because we didn’t like them. 

I rooted for him every game this year. I'll do it again next year if he's our guy, and I'll hope that he proves me dead wrong.

Just because some of us think he has hit his ceiling, or that we want the Colts to look for an upgrade, doesn't mean we don't or won't support him if he's the Colts starter in 2020.

5 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

guess you missed the entire 2nd half of the season where everyone figured him out and he looked like complete crap. We lost every divisional rematch and he showed he absolutely falls apart in the 4th quarter.

7 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I'm as optimistic a fan as anyone, and I'll continue rooting for Jacoby to succeed if he is our starting QB next year.  That being said, I think it's clear from the 2 seasons we've seen from him that he is not going to cut it.  If he turns it around and has a great year next year, that's awesome... but that'll still be 2 poor seasons and one good one so that'll leave more questions than answers.  I think the gist around here is that we're ready to move on to the next chapter, with a legit/fresh franchise QB to lead us.  As long as Jacoby is the starter, I fear it will always feel like Andrew's backup is guiding us for the time being until we finally get settled.

Just my opinion, of course.

3 minutes ago, coltsva said:

I rooted for him every game this year. I'll do it again next year if he's our guy, and I'll hope that he proves me dead wrong.

Just because some of us think he has hit his ceiling, or that we want the Colts to look for an upgrade, doesn't mean we don't or won't support him if he's the Colts starter in 2020.

I’m fine with that. It is the people like this that irritate me. They threaten to not renew tickets or to cancel their Sunday ticket package or not watch at all. 

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

guess you missed the entire 2nd half of the season where everyone figured him out and he looked like complete crap. We lost every divisional rematch and he showed he absolutely falls apart in the 4th quarter.

2 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I’m fine with that. It is the people like this that irritate me. They threaten to not renew tickets or to cancel their Sunday ticket package or not watch at all. 

well if they threaten to not watch then they are just dumb I haven't seen anyone on here yet that is threatening to not watch or cancel anything 

well besides maybe the obvious trolls but they dont count anyway 

4 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

The other thing I find funny is look back at the beginning of this thread. People were very hyped after the 7 games. They really liked him. I will give credit that a few said they still didn’t like him. 

you are right there!! many were huge fans now have definitely backtracked lol

On 1/10/2020 at 6:49 PM, MPStack said:

Yeah. It also says that it isn’t really that bad and the Colts  really don’t have any bad contracts. They just had to pick one. Yet again all about perspective. If he plays better this is a steal of a contract. 

I know this is gonna end up in the JB mega thread but I felt it deserved to be said. 

Can we all stop with this player is trash or garbage crap, more specifically JB. 

I tell my 15 year old nephew this all the time. He calls players trash. I say I hope he can be that trashy that he is getting paid millions to be in the NFL.

Over 1 million players compete in high school football. 

Of that 1 million, 73,000 make it to the NCAA in some level. That is 7.1% 

Of that 73,000 only 16,000 players are NFL draft eligible in a given year and only 256 players are picked. That is 1.6%

There are around 253 starting QBs in NCAA. Of that only 32 start in NFL and he is one of them.

When we call these players trash we sound like that old guy in his letterman jacket at the bar saying we could make that throw. We are better than that. 

rob gronkowski GIF

Regardless of how you spin it, JB is a hot messy problem for this team. Likeable guy but not a good nfl QB. He had promising abilities coming into the nfl but he hasn’t been able to make that work out in terms of production on the field. People like you just don’t want to accept the facts. 100’s of kids make it to the nfl based on traits and perceived college talents they hope can translate into the nfl. Some only want the money and fame but can’t put in the needed dedication to realize that dream and some just don’t have the ability the teams thought they seen in them. 

JB is a solid back up and great locker room guy, you don’t want him leading your team to the bottom of the sea each week though. 

2 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I know this is gonna end up in the JB mega thread but I felt it deserved to be said. 

Can we all stop with this player is trash or garbage crap, more specifically JB. 

I tell my 15 year old nephew this all the time. He calls players trash. I say I hope he can be that trashy that he is getting paid millions to be in the NFL.

Over 1 million players compete in high school football. 

Of that 1 million, 73,000 make it to the NCAA in some level. That is 7.1% 

Of that 73,000 only 16,000 players are NFL draft eligible in a given year and only 256 players are picked. That is 1.6%

There are around 253 starting QBs in NCAA. Of that only 32 start in NFL and he is one of them.

When we call these players trash we sound like that old guy in his letterman jacket at the bar saying we could make that throw. We are better than that. 

rob gronkowski GIF

You are wasting your time. Some People don't know the difference between trash/bad and average. Hell most 8 yr old's even know the difference. Curtis Painter/Scott Tolzien/Mike Pagel were trash. This whole JB bashing thing has got way out of hand IMO. Dude was a backup coming in so what did people expect from him? I find myself keep defending the guy because he gets bashed to the point where it is getting embarrassing. Some people at this point think their grandpa would be a better QB than JB. 

As annoying as all these "JB is trash" and "JB is the worst starting QB in the league" posts are, it's equally annoying seeing "JB is perfectly adequate" in every thread, when it's clear that hasn't been the case.  I often see you saying how annoying it is seeing every thread turn into a JB Bash thread, but then you continually poke the topic with a stick and get mad when you get the expected response.  I'm not sure what you're hoping to accomplish?

JB isn't trash.

JB isn't necessarily good.

He's somewhere in between, which leaves the Colts in QB purgatory, which is a death sentence in the NFL.  Arguments between finding the next QB vs building the roster out more are both valid.  The problem, as it often is, is the extremes on either side.  Even though I'd prefer we draft a new QB, whichever direction the team ultimately decides to go with, I'll still be supporting the horseshoe.

Let's just enjoy the new chapter unfolding and see what happens!

yea if you put it in a spectrum like that yea of course no football player is trash, you could expand that to no human being is born trash, we could have a conversation about philosophy another day if you like, that doesn't change the fact that JB is not good enough

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are wasting your time. Some People don't know the difference between trash/bad and average. Hell most 8 yr old's even know the difference. Curtis Painter/Scott Tolzien/Mike Pagel were trash. This whole JB bashing thing has got way out of hand IMO. Dude was a backup coming in so what did people expect from him? I find myself keep defending the guy because he gets bashed to the point where it is getting embarrassing. Some people at this point think their grandpa would be a better QB than JB. 

Truly Painter, Tolzein, and Pagel weren’t trash either since they played in the Big 10 and PAC 10 they just weren’t NFL caliber

The Armchair management of everything has gone too far

I might agree that the phrase "trash" is loaded and flippant. It's also important to understand it's used by fired up fans (fanatics) as slang to say the player isn't good, which our GM says the jury is still deliberating on the subject.

I wouldn't say trash, as I couldn't do better (duh) but I would support and do the idea that there's better people who play the position available and if winning is something this team want's to do, then they should strongly consider moving on, because JB as a starter has won 10, 11 games in two seasons? That sucks. 

Here's one more log for the fire and it's not going to get a bunch of support right now, but... give it some time. IF no changes are made and the Colts go and flounder again next year, that absurd debate about Grigson v. Ballard that Grigson is engaging in on Twitter is going to be a lot closer on paper than it should. 4 years is enough time to put a thumb print on things for Ballard and at some point this is going to be his thing alone and the results aren't going to be linked to Grigson's bad roster construction.

The Colts need to do some winning or this flushing sound is going to get louder.

53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think as a guy who the team hitched the wagon to this year by giving him a 2 yr extension worth millions instead of having him finish out the original contract, I think we expected better than what we seen certainly. He is certainly overpaid at this point and Tolzein could have produced equally poor results. Let’s just move on here. 

JB has no touch every throw is a missile unless he lobs one up to be picked off, I think he can be fixed but it should have been addressed early in the year , he has to make it a little easier to hold on to the ball if your not accurate and going to throw it high or behind your target it cant be a hundred mph

On 10/27/2019 at 10:23 PM, WarGhost21 said:

Going into this game, Brissett has performed amazingly well. He has played game manager, and also shown he can be a gunslinger (vs Houston). The only thing we had yet to see from Brissett was how he would respond to a last minute scenario with everything going against the team and the game on the line. Even though overall it was a sloppy performance for Indy, I saw what I wanted to see: Brissett has a clutch gene. I wasn't sure before, and that was the only piece missing from his resume. After this, though, I think Brissett could be just as good as any QB we might select in next years draft, if not better. So I guess my question for the forum is:

Have you seen enough from Brissett to be confident in him at the helm for the foreseeable future, or do we still need to look elsewhere? I think he might just have what it takes to bring this team to glory.

Give it a rest. 

Brissett is inadequate as the Colts starter...period!

1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So all of us armchair GM are right. Let’s throw out the opinion of people who actually played the game. 

you are quoting people after the houston game now if you ask nfl scouts and players to rank jacoby he would be bottom 5 .   all his stats prove that bottom 5 QB  with a elite o line  after the first read he looks to throw it away or run when the pocket is holding up . can't win with him unless colts get a top 5 defense and run the ball  for 200 yards a game

All I’m saying is that the grass is not always greener on the other side. For example the Minnesota Vikings. In 2017 the Minnesota Vikings went 13-3, won the NFC North, and participated in the NFC title game. They were led by Case Keenum. No one is saying that he was the perfect quarterback but he was perfectly built for that team. He had 3527 yards passing 22 touchdowns in only 7 INTs. I know he had an amazing defense, but I’ll get to that later.

Now let’s look at the 2018 Minnesota Vikings. They felt the need to clear out their quarterback room and get rid of Keenum for what they thought was a better quarterback, Kirk Cousins. All he did was lead the Minnesota Vikings to a 8-7-1 record the following season. Did not qualify for the playoffs. He was also working with the same defense that everyone discussed from the previous year.

Just saying. 

3 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

All I’m saying is that the grass is not always greener on the other side. For example the Minnesota Vikings. In 2017 the Minnesota Vikings went 13-3, won the NFC North, and participated in the NFC title game. They were led by Case Keenum. No one is saying that he was the perfect quarterback but he was perfectly built for that team. He had 3527 yards passing 22 touchdowns in only 7 INTs. I know he had an amazing defense, but I’ll get to that later.

Now let’s look at the 2018 Minnesota Vikings. They felt the need to clear out their quarterback room and get rid of Keenum for what they thought was a better quarterback, Kirk Cousins. All he did was lead the Minnesota Vikings to a 8-7-1 record the following season. Did not qualify for the playoffs. He was also working with the same defense that everyone discussed from the previous year.

Just saying. 

This is true, but there's also a team that had a QB over 5 seasons go 50-26, throw 112 TD's and only 38 INT's, but they still felt the need to replace him with what they hoped would be an upgrade.

Obviously, I'm talking about the Chiefs.

None of us know for certain that the next Colts QB will be better than JB, but I think most of us are of the opinion that he is not the guy to take the Colts to the promised land. As a fan, I don't want the Colts to settle for "good enough," when I know somewhere out there "great" may be waiting. There's always going to be some risk involved, but if you don't try to get better, you won't. 

:yahoo:

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

And they are probably correct.  :goodluck:

I guess the part that puzzles me is why can’t we think that JB could actually improve. He knows he is the starter going into next year, right now. He also knows he did not do well and needs to improve. Why can’t we believe that he will put in the work to improve next year. We also know that the colts will draft a QB in the draft, where in the draft is the question. So combine the following for motivation, that draft QB, JB failures this year, and his contract year, could push him to have a great season. 

remember it is sports. Anything can happen. 
Ryan Tannehill- Titans

Russell Wilson- Seahawks

Kurt Warner- Rams

Trent Dilfer- Ravens

Brad Johnson- Bucs

Archived