Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)


Recommended Posts

On 1/4/2020 at 6:28 PM, MPStack said:


I think it’s dangerous with solely rolling with JB in 2020 and no future plan on the roster. Especially, if the Colts don’t make the playoffs and JB doesn’t progress. 
 

The shelf life for GM’s and Coach’s is 4.3 years. That’ll be year 4 for Ballard. 

 

No future plan CURRENTLY on the roster.

 

We still have the draft...    free agency....    and possible trades all to come soon.

 

I believe the long term solution,  or at least the post-Jacoby solution is coming sometime this spring.     

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep...he creates posts daily that discuss the QB position. Even the thread about wanting to draft a certain QB tie back to the idea of giving JB more time.

Okay So as I watch the Niners game I am noticing that Jimmy G is operating the game in a way thenReich and the Colts want JB to. I have the a huge take...   Jimmy G is no better than JB

Posted Images

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It could happen that is why I threw the question out. I think with JB we would be between 7 and 10 wins, we won't suck but could miss the playoffs again. I would like to see Ballard draft a QB at 13 but I pray he guesses right.

i will have a hard time getting excited for the season if that happens.  i know we could have won more games if a few things went our way, but we could have lost a few more too

 

i think jb would have lost to the dolphins they stopped our running game

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here's a legit question, what if Ballard doesn't draft a QB at all. How disappointed or mad will you guys be? He might not. He might go mostly defense and draft a WR and roll with JB. 

Rookie qbs generally take so long to develop.  The sooner we get one the better.  If they wait until 2021 I will be very disappointed but not mad.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, as many know by now the quote that is getting the most attention from Ballards press conference, outside of Ebron’s( LoL), was that the jury is still out on Jacoby Brissett. 
 

I have been reading numerous articles and listening to numerous podcast about the press conference:

 

Kevin Bowen’s Kevin’s Corner

Stampede Blue

Stampede Blue Afternoon Pancakes

 

What I have come away with us that most believe that Ballard will he actively looking for an upgrade at QB (like they always do for every positions). 
 

The consensus that I got is the JB will be the starter in 2020.
 

They might bring in a FA to push him and they will probably take a QB later in the draft to develop.

 

They feel that it is way more likely that Hoyer is gone and that JB will not be going anywhere. 

 

They feel that the comment “The Jury is Still out” means his evaluation is not complete. He has earned the right to start. If they bring in FA QB or Draft a QB they will compete with him and if JB loses, he had his chance. 
 

It seems that Ballard might just hedge his bets and bring in a better backup in Hoyers place and draft a developmental guy in round 2. 
 

What are your thoughts on this?  Again I am basing this off of numerous Colts podcast and articles. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, if the jury is still out, how is the jury going to decide anything in the offseason.....by watching tape?  

 

Either Ballard means that JB will play out his contract and a full evaluation will be done then, or, it was a nice way of saying that they hadn't made an evaluation as of the day of the presser but will make one before the start of FA and the draft.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

The consensus that I got is the JB will be the starter in 2020.

really depends on who they get and if you are talking about week one or the whole season 

 

jordan love isnt pro ready atm, he could sit a while.  tua could be a week one starter if hes healed.  they could pursue a free agent or trade too. 

 

if we get a third round pick or beyond they likely wont start which is what you seem to want 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is what they said. He will be the starter in week one because anyone they draft won’t be pro ready, week 1. 
 

If they bring in a FA QB that is better than JB they will bear him out in a competition in camp and JB doesn’t even start week 1. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

That is what they said. He will be the starter in week one because anyone they draft won’t be pro ready, week 1. 
 

If they bring in a FA QB that is better than JB they will bear him out in a competition in camp and JB doesn’t even start week 1. 

I didnt hear that...... was it said in the presser?

 

I do think that JB will be the day 1 starter, especially if the new QB brought in is a rookie

 

SURELY they will bring in a QB.(rookie of FA vet)... right???  (I hope)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see how releasing Hoyer solves anything by adding a different backup. 
 

If, the Colts try and sign a FA QB, like say Rivers, I doubt he’s signing to potentially be the backup to Brissett in 2020.
 

QB’s like Rivers, Eli or Teddy wouldn’t be cheap to sign, and keeping Brissett at 21.5M would make little sense, because the Colts will have most likely draft a QB. JMO
 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

My money is on JB to be the starter in week 1.  Not excited about it, but if it is then we, as fans, will deal with it and hope he can lead the team to wins.  

 

I wonder how Ballard feels about Hoyer.   Both on the field and financially.   Hoyer is on a 3 year $12 million contract with $9 guaranteed.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think both Ballard and Reich have indicated there will be open competition at qb come training camp. Brissett, Kelly, some free agent and draft pick(but I don't see the Colts using a first or second round pick on qb). My prediction is Brissett will not be on the team next season. And I don't think Hoyer will be on the team either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here's a legit question, what if Ballard doesn't draft a QB at all. How disappointed or mad will you guys be? He might not. He might go mostly defense and draft a WR and roll with JB. 

If he doesn't draft a QB at all then he must really like Kelly a lot. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I don’t see how releasing Hoyer solves anything by adding a different backup. 
 

If, the Colts try and sign a FA QB, like say Rivers, I doubt he’s signing to potentially be the backup to Brissett in 2020.
 

QB’s like Rivers, Eli or Teddy wouldn’t be cheap to sign, and keeping Brissett at 21.5M would make little sense, because the Colts will have most likely draft a QB. JMO
 

 

 

 

I think the professionals, meaning the Colts FO and the press, are saying things with an eye towards being nice to JB.  They don't have all of the information yet, what the college QBs will look like or what vets will become available, so there is no point in saying anything directly.

 

CB may have already decided that he's going to build a team with this draft regardless who the QB is next year and will worry about that position beginning then.  Compartmentalizing decisions when there are a bunch of moving parts helps to stay focused on one goal.  And it does sound like he's not happy with the roster.  That was pretty direct, IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Myles said:

My money is on JB to be the starter in week 1.  Not excited about it, but if it is then we, as fans, will deal with it and hope he can lead the team to wins.  

 

I wonder how Ballard feels about Hoyer.   Both on the field and financially.   Hoyer is on a 3 year $12 million contract with $9 guaranteed.    


I’ve flipped flopped back in forth, but I agree,  Brissett will probably be the starter in 2020. 


As for Hoyer, he can be cut with no dead money CAP hit according to sportrac. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Myles said:

My money is on JB to be the starter in week 1.  Not excited about it, but if it is then we, as fans, will deal with it and hope he can lead the team to wins.  

 

I wonder how Ballard feels about Hoyer.   Both on the field and financially.   Hoyer is on a 3 year $12 million contract with $9 guaranteed.    

If you are right season ticket sales will more than likely be down. I’m done driving two and a half hours one way since the late 90’s. My friend that has four is also done, but we are old fans so the driving versus the perceived product pushed us over the edge.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MPStack said:


I’ve flipped flopped back in forth, but I agree,  Brissett will probably be the starter in 2020. 


As for Hoyer, he can be cut with no dead money CAP hit according to sportrac. 
 

 

If $9 million was guaranteed, doesn't that mean that we either paid that to him already or we still will have to?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blueblood23 said:

If you are right season ticket sales will more than likely be down. I’m done driving two and a half hours one way since the late 90’s. My friend that has four is also done, but we are old fans so the driving versus the perceived product pushed us over the edge.

I'm the same.   I'm just south of Fort Wayne, so it's a 2+ hour drive for me too.   It won't be certain that I do my usual 1-2 games a season trips.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said a couple of conflicting things about what CB could be thinking about JB, of course its speculation, that's what we do here.

 

My gut tells me that when Irsay saw that horrible performance in LOS a few weeks back, and heard the boos and saw the empty seats, he talked to CB about moving on from JB this offseason.  JMWAO.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I think both Ballard and Reich have indicated there will be open competition at qb come training camp. Brissett, Kelly, some free agent and draft pick(but I don't see the Colts using a first or second round pick on qb). My prediction is Brissett will not be on the team next season. And I don't think Hoyer will be on the team either.

 

  If the jury is still out then he hasn't earned the right to start. 
  Based on his performance and compared to the better QB's in the league, his teammates can't be as behind him as they were to start the season.
I predict he will have a hard time holding his job through all of next season.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hot take: In order to avoid any kind of disruption, Brissett will be traded. Ballard will draft a QB, and sign a veteran QB. If the Rookie isn't ready to start the season, the veteran will be starting on opening day. 

 

Colts needs to sell tickets, and people will not buy if Brissett is the starting QB. I think Brissett gets traded because he will not be cool with the eventual demotion. Put out the fire. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Also. I don’t actually won’t a third round QB. I love the idea of using a second round pick on Gordon, Eason or Hurts. 

This, this, a thousand times this!!!!! Either Eason at pick 34, or Gordon/Hurts with our other 2nd, or if they fall far enough maybe our 3rd.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my take on things.

 

One, I think a lot of people are misreading the last question from his press conference, they asked if JB was the starter next year and his response was, well last year at this time I would have said Luck was the starter, so for right now JB is the starter next year.  Clearly that means things change and that decision will be made after evaluating the changes.

 

Colts FO/Coaches will break down all JBs film from the season and determine if they think the passing game issues can be coached or if there is some other issue.

 

Colts will release Hoyer before the 2020 season officially starts in March

 

Colts will draft a QB, they will probably take someone sooner than the draft experts (both national and the self proclaimed ones on this forum)

 

There will be an open competition in Camp between JB, Kelly and the draft pick.  Winner, probably JB, will starter week 1.  If they get the QB they want in the draft then I see him being worked into the starting position after about week 8.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

If he doesn't draft a QB at all then he must really like Kelly a lot. 


I think Kelly’s problems were mostly immaturity issues. He managed to stay out of trouble the past year, but I seriously doubt Ballard is going to put his job on the line with Kelly. Kelly’s done nothing for anyone to assume he’s the future.

 

With that being said, were now talking year 4 coming up for Ballard. His decision making process is more important moving forward with Luck’s retirement. His margin for error is smaller and his job will depend on how successful the Colts are. Rolling with Kelly could get him fired quick. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, waittilnextyear said:

Based on his performance and compared to the better QB's in the league, his teammates can't be as behind him as they were to start the season.

Forget based on the better QBs of the league. Compare him to some of the bad QBs in the league and who can you really say he played better than? Trubisky and Flacco maybe? He was even the 4th best QB in his own division . And I’m as * as everyone else about what Ebron did and I’m not making excuses, but he quit on the team because the QB sucked. 

 

Theres no way Ballard isn’t bringing a QB in.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MPStack said:


I think Kelly’s problems were mostly immaturity issues. He managed to stay out of trouble the past year, but I seriously doubt Ballard is going to put his job on the line with Kelly. Kelly’s done nothing for anyone to assume he’s the future.

 

With that being said, were now talking year 4 coming up for Ballard. His decision making process is more important moving forward with Luck’s retirement. His margin for error is smaller and his job will depend on how successful the Colts are. Rolling with Kelly could get him fired quick. 

 

If Kelly puts them in such a quandary and they don't believe he can help them, then they should just let Chad Kelly go instead of holding on to him, even on the PS. That is not helping the team, IMO, if they do not believe in him to even play meaningless snaps. Might as well make your bed with another QB that you feel more secure about.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Public commentary by GM's on players is a unique language...even moreso for QBs.  

 

Jury is still out is a very specific response by a GM...and it means the verdict has been reached but the jury hasn't returned to the courtroom yet.

 

Ballard didn't say what Reich said about JB.  Ballard is clearly giving us all a public acknowledgement that he sees exactly what we see, but he doesn't yet know what options he has yet for 2020...and that he reserves the right to trot JB out there on opening day if that's still the best option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Also. I don’t actually won’t a third round QB. I love the idea of using a second round pick on Gordon, Eason or Hurts. 
 

 

Hurts is viewed as a Day 3 pick is what I’m reading.   That’s R4 or later.   Same with Gordon.  Now, that could change after all-star games, the combine and pro days.

 

Eason feels like a R2 guy for right now.  That could change too.    
 

Remember...   it only takes one team to really love a guy and then it doesn’t matter what the other 31 teams think. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MPStack said:


I don’t see any dead money hit for Hoyer. 

 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap/2020/#

 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I won't claim to be an expert at understanding this stuff.  

I'm not sure what year the $9 guaranteed hits on. 

 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/brian-hoyer-7035/

 

Hoyer's contract was reported as $9m guaranteed. Good agent talk. It turns out it's only guaranteed for $5m, and the other $4m is guaranteed as of March 2020.

 

So we could cut Hoyer with a $2m cap penalty in 2020.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

This, this, a thousand times this!!!!! Either Eason at pick 34, or Gordon/Hurts with our other 2nd, or if they fall far enough maybe our 3rd.

This a thousand times?????   WTH??

 

You want to use a second pick on Day 3 QB talent?    Congratulations!

 

What I’m reading is Gordon and Hurts are Day 3 draft picks.  That’s R4 or later. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

hoping for tua in round one, i think he could beat jacoby 

My fear with Tua is injury.  We just went through having a QB with injury history and being unavailable.

 

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I didnt hear that...... was it said in the presser?

 

Ballard say that Jacoby was the starter for next season as of right now.  I am simply saying what I have heard from the Colts Podcast.

 

2 hours ago, Two_pound said:

I think both Ballard and Reich have indicated there will be open competition at qb come training camp. Brissett, Kelly, some free agent and draft pick(but I don't see the Colts using a first or second round pick on qb). My prediction is Brissett will not be on the team next season. And I don't think Hoyer will be on the team either.

I agree about the open competition but what world are you living in where you think JB won't even be on the roster.  He is still there best option for next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

 

Hoyer's contract was reported as $9m guaranteed. Good agent talk. It turns out it's only guaranteed for $5m, and the other $4m is guaranteed as of March 2020.

 

So we could cut Hoyer with a $2m cap penalty in 2020.

So the $4 million is only guaranteed if he is still on the roster in March?

Thanks for your explanation.  Like I said, I am far from an expert.  I usually just go with what is on Spotrac:

Brian Hoyer signed a 3 year, $12,000,000 contract with the Indianapolis Colts, including a $3,000,000 signing bonus, $9,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $4,000,000. In 2020, Hoyer will earn a base salary of $2,000,000 and a roster bonus of $2,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $5,000,000.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This a thousand times?????   WTH??

 

You want to use a second pick on Day 3 QB talent?    Congratulations!

 

What I’m reading is Gordon and Hurts are Day 3 draft picks.  That’s R4 or later. 

In that regard, many team sources apparently have Love graded as a 3rd-4th rounder. Nobody in this class is that great aside from Burrow, Herbert, and a healthy Tua. If we have to take one of them, I’d much rather do it in the 2nd or 3rd with a decent prospect than wait and hope they last until later. I still think we need to wait until 2021 for a QB in a better class, but right now we shouldn’t consider using the 13th on a QB unless it’s one of the three mentioned above

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

Hot take: In order to avoid any kind of disruption, Brissett will be traded. Ballard will draft a QB, and sign a veteran QB. If the Rookie isn't ready to start the season, the veteran will be starting on opening day. 

 

Colts needs to sell tickets, and people will not buy if Brissett is the starting QB. I think Brissett gets traded because he will not be cool with the eventual demotion. Put out the fire. 

I don't think that is unreasonable at all.  Especially if he gets demoted behind a shrimp like Jake Fromm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

In that regard, many team sources apparently have Love graded as a 3rd-4th rounder. Nobody in this class is that great aside from Burrow, Herbert, and a healthy Tua. If we have to take one of them, I’d much rather do it in the 2nd or 3rd with a decent prospect than wait and hope they last until later. I still think we need to wait until 2021 for a QB in a better class, but right now we shouldn’t consider using the 13th on a QB unless it’s one of the three mentioned above

i think a lot of people feel this way.  the main problem with the approach is we may never be picking high enough to get one of the top QBs coming out

 

if we wait i think we will end up looking at prospects no better than what we are looking at now

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Nadine unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...