Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

WarGhost21

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

In regards to JB’s knee, I thought he looked really limber today, brace or no brace.

I thought it might be affecting his accuracy but now I’m starting to consider an interesting scenario brought up by one of the writers from Stampede Blue. JB worked a lot with Tom House this offseason on his form, credited him with helping his accuracy. But maybe, as the season’s gone along, especially after coming back from injury, JB has reverted back to old habits. Sounds pretty plausible, and it could be a mix of things, that and his knee, but still.

I thought he still he looked injured at Houston and against Tennessee. He looked like his oldself vs the Bucs but we lost 38-35.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are a great poster and one of my friends so I am going to throw this question at you:

What if we draft all defense next season (build that D) and just get 1 WR that is a great difference maker, stick with JB and go 10-6 + win the division. What would you think about JB then if we go 10-6? That could be possible. I believe in our GM and coach, it could happen.

Why 10-6? I thought the SB is the objective. Do you think JB can lead the Colts to the SB? That’s all I care about. If the answer is no, find the “guy” ASAP. 

Anyways, I’ve been watching football roughly 40 years now. And during that time, the Bears, Bucs, Ravens and Giants have been teams to win SB’s with below average QBs. 

The Giants, actually lost Simms towards the end of the 1990 season with injury and J. Hostetler finished. So, Hostetler really only played during the playoffs. 

Each of those teams I referenced had “elite defenses” and a lot went right through drafting those players to get there over time. It’s very, very rare to have so many “legit” Pro Bowlers/ All Pros on the same roster. It almost didn’t matter who those teams had at QB. They were that good! Quite a bit of luck involved too. 

I’m sure this will rub some the wrong way, but Ballard has had three full drafts now with the Colts. What does that tell me? Basically, the Colts are a .500 football team without an elite QB, but a playoff team with one and trending in the wrong direction. 

With that being said, wanting Ballard to build around Jacoby is asking a lot IMO. Ballard would need to be near perfect drafting, signing FAs, etc in order to field a team that doesn’t need to depend on Jacoby to win games. 

Ballard’s drafts thus far, don’t translate favorably to building around Jacoby.  We’re stuck hoping guys like Turay, Rock, Lewis, Banogu and others become more than just good depth or rotation 1-2 down guys.

Addressing the QB position should be prioritized, because history shows its quite rare to win with subpar QB play. 

Just my two cents! 

32 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Why 10-6? I thought the SB is the objective. Do you think JB can lead the Colts to the SB? That’s all I care about. If the answer is no, find the “guy” ASAP. 

Anyways, I’ve been watching football roughly 40 years now. And during that time, the Bears, Bucs, Ravens and Giants have been teams to win SB’s with below average QBs. 

The Giants, actually lost Simms towards the end of the 1990 season with injury and J. Hostetler finished. So, Hostetler really only played during the playoffs. 

Each of those teams I referenced had “elite defenses” and a lot went right through drafting those players to get there over time. It’s very, very rare to have so many “legit” Pro Bowlers/ All Pros on the same roster. It almost didn’t matter who those teams had at QB. They were that good! Quite a bit of luck involved too. 

I’m sure this will rub some the wrong way, but Ballard has had three full drafts now with the Colts. What does that tell me? Basically, the Colts are a .500 football team without an elite QB, but a playoff team with one and trending in the wrong direction. 

With that being said, wanting Ballard to build around Jacoby is asking a lot IMO. Ballard would need to be near perfect drafting, signing FAs, etc in order to field a team that doesn’t need to depend on Jacoby to win games. 

Ballard’s drafts thus far, don’t translate favorably to building around Jacoby.  We’re stuck hoping guys like Turay, Rock, Lewis, Banogu and others become more than just good depth or rotation 1-2 down guys.

Addressing the QB position should be prioritized, because history shows its quite rare to win with subpar QB play. 

Just my two cents! 

Two cents hell. That was at least a nickels worth.

11 hours ago, MPStack said:

Just my two cents! 

Great post.... exactly how I feel about the whole situation. Merry Christmas and Happy New year. 

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are a great poster and one of my friends so I am going to throw this question at you:

What if we draft all defense next season (build that D) and just get 1 WR that is a great difference maker, stick with JB and go 10-6 + win the division. What would you think about JB then if we go 10-6? That could be possible. I believe in our GM and coach, it could happen.

Look up the 2017 Chiefs.

11 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Not as bad today as we’ve seen recently, but a far cry from inspiring. 119 passing yards isn’t anything to write home about. Against a defense as bad as the Panthers have been... I’m just not swayed by what we saw today enough to say we shouldn’t be considering our options. 

Agreed. And it wasn’t just 119 passing yards but he also didn’t throw away passing TDs again. And this was against a bad secondary, T.Y. was healthy and played too. And we established the run early so it should’ve opened up the passing game. We saw the same Jacoby in victory as we did in defeat. That play in the 1st when Hilton was several steps ahead and Jacoby (stop me if you’ve heard this one before) missed him in what we’ve seen all year. It’s inexcusable and quite frankly pathetic at this point. 

Man, I just gotta say: I get so jealous when I watch Ryan Tannehill :(. Every time I watch him, I can't help but think about how JB is just not on his level. I like that guy a lot. This is the first time I've felt like we are really inferior to the Titans.

It just does not seem to get any less frustrating watching this guy NOT throw guys open downfield. It's always exciting watching a QB hit that last step on the play action and know he's about to release immediately (unless it's against us), however, when it's our guy, I just roll my eyes.

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You continue to talk about QB wins. We are two FGs away from being 10-6 now. How does that matter when talking about the performance of the QB? 10-6 can mean nothing or a lot about the QB, depending on his performance. The Bears went 12-4 last year with Trubiski. And he was about as bad as he's been this year. The Jaguars went 10-6 with Bortles. Teams with great rosters go 10-6 all the time even with mediocre/bad QBs. The QB is the single most important position in football, but the QB cannot overturn the impact of the remaining 21 players on the field put together...  In the regular season this might get you to a winning record. In the playoffs you meet other teams with strong rosters and most of them have good/elite QBs to add up to that and they beat you with it. In the Superbowl you pretty much need both good QB and great overall roster to be able to - 1. get to that point and 2. compete against the other finalist.  (with some extreme exceptions, but those are exceptions for a reason)

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Look up the 2017 Chiefs.

I was thinking the other day I wonder what the chatter among Chiefs fan was like around Smith during that era, and he was a much more proven commodity. 

I've given up engaging on the Brissett stuff as people on both sides have made it clear they don't want to have a conversation about it. 

59 minutes ago, stitches said:

You continue to talk about QB wins. We are two FGs away from being 10-6 now. How does that matter when talking about the performance of the QB? 10-6 can mean nothing or a lot about the QB, depending on his performance. The Bears went 12-4 last year with Trubiski. And he was about as bad as he's been this year. The Jaguars went 10-6 with Bortles. Teams with great rosters go 10-6 all the time even with mediocre/bad QBs. The QB is the single most important position in football, but the QB cannot overturn the impact of the remaining 21 players on the field put together...  In the regular season this might get you to a winning record. In the playoffs you meet other teams with strong rosters and most of them have good/elite QBs to add up to that and they beat you with it. In the Superbowl you pretty much need both good QB and great overall roster to be able to - 1. get to that point and 2. compete against the other finalist.  (with some extreme exceptions, but those are exceptions for a reason)

I bring up wins a lot because that is the ultimate goal and with JB we can 10 or 11 games with the right team around him.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

or the 1995 Colts which is a great thing. We were 1 play away from making the SB that season. 

That team fell off pretty quickly, then drafted a potential franchise QB in the 1998 draft.

Contrast that with the strategy of the 2017 Chiefs, and their trajectory moving forward.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

That team fell off pretty quickly, then drafted a potential franchise QB in the 1998 draft.

Contrast that with the strategy of the 2017 Chiefs, and their trajectory moving forward.

If we could somehow pick up someone close to Mahomes I would be real happy. KC got lucky and hit the lottery because Alex Smith was above average.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we could somehow pick up someone close to Mahomes I would be real happy. KC got lucky and hit the lottery because Alex Smith was above average.

I agree, it’s testament to the Chief’s scouting and the luxury afforded by having Smith sit behind (who they also got trade capital for IIRC). 

My biggest worry has always been ending up in the purgatory of mediocrity. 

9 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I agree, it’s testament to the Chief’s scouting and the luxury afforded by having Smith sit behind (who they also got trade capital for IIRC). 

Oh I agree, with JB we could go 7-9 or 10-6 haha . At least JB doesn't stink but I get the goal is winning SB's. I like JB but never have been sold on him winning a SB. If we draft Jordan Love I would be happy just to see how he pans out. I am not sure though whoever we draft will play next year unless JB just stinks and we start something like 1-5.

17 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

In regards to JB’s knee, I thought he looked really limber today, brace or no brace.

I thought it might be affecting his accuracy but now I’m starting to consider an interesting scenario brought up by one of the writers from Stampede Blue. JB worked a lot with Tom House this offseason on his form, credited him with helping his accuracy. But maybe, as the season’s gone along, especially after coming back from injury, JB has reverted back to old habits. Sounds pretty plausible, and it could be a mix of things, that and his knee, but still.

I think that this a great point that no one is discussing.  Great Point!!!

10 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I think we're in the middle of purgatory now and have been we just didn't necessarily know it due to Luck's on again off again presence. I think it's interesting that the two teams Ballard has been associated with and the Colts all kind of have intersecting issues.  

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I bring up wins a lot because that is the ultimate goal and with JB we can 10 or 11 games with the right team around him.

The point is - this still says nothing about JB himself and whether the same team that gets to 10 wins and 1 and out in the playoffs wouldn't go 14-2 and be a superbowl team with a better QB. Evaluate the QB and make a decision on the QB based on what the QB is doing... not what the team is doing. Don't attribute the strength of the team to the QB. 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

The point is - this still says nothing about JB himself and whether the same team that gets to 10 wins and 1 and out in the playoffs wouldn't go 14-2 and be a superbowl team with a better QB. Evaluate the QB and make a decision on the QB based on what the QB is doing... not what the team is doing. Don't attribute the strength of the team to the QB. 

The QB has a lot to do with the team winning normally. Even if his stats aren't good as long as he isn't turning it over and he makes 3 or 4 big plays that may still be good enough to win. Winning is just the most important thing is what I have been saying. Having said all of that, I sort of hope we draft Jordan Love just to see if he pans out like I posted on the other thread. Out of the QB's coming out he is my favorite one. Burrow is going #1. 

I know that's not going to be a popular opinion, but it has the unfortunate air of truth to it.

The fact of the matter is as much trouble as Brissett had in the second half this year, a clear upgrade isn't out there on the market at a reasonable price.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/11/7/20951625/nfl-free-agent-quarterbacks-2020-trades-teddy-bridgewater-cam-newton

The only plausible option out there is really Teddy Bridgewater.  He looked darn good pitching relief in NO, so you can bet he'll be a hot commodity in FA, personally I have him going to the Titans or the Bengals.  Some place where the GM is on the hot seat and is prepared to overpay.  But he is on the market and he is an option.  IMHO, he's THE option, if you want an upgrade at a price that can be reasonably paid.

Other than Bridgewater, who's there in FA?  Andy Dalton who's going into his age 33 season and has never been able to elevate his team?  Other than those 2 guys it's a melange of mediocrity and a haven of has-beens.

There may be a couple middling options in trade but how many of them are actually a good bet to outplay Brissett?  And of the guys better than Brissett how many of them are at any risk of being traded?  Either way, the list is pretty short.

That leaves the draft, and if you see a week 1 superstar on the draft board at QB, I sure don't.  Plenty of potential like there always is, but literally all of it looks like it would benefit from sitting a year and holding a clipboard before it sees live action.

Oh and don't even start with the Chad Kelly nonsense.  That decision has very clearly already been made.

In other words, unless we're willing to blow Teddy Bridgewater's agent out of the water, there isn't really that guy out there who represents a significant upgrade.  Since we already have Brissett under contract for another year, there's very little reason not to use him.  So we probably will.

Now with that said there's every possibility that Irsay does force Ballard's hands and we go after Bridgewater.  I'd even be willing to call it a great move IF the price isn't insane.  But unless that happens, we're probably looking at more JB7 next year.

Yeah probably he starts next week 1- I'm not real excited about it, but there's realities to the QB situation that can't be avoided. I feel for the mods though having to sort through threads that are variations on this theme and shuffle them to the big thread.

Okay, so I know that there are numerous topics about our current QB1 but I wanted to float this one out there.  I truly believe that it is very possible that Jacoby Brissett will be our QB going forward.  I don't believe that what Ballard and Reich are saying is a smoke screen.  They are paid Millions of dollars to run this team and they know way more than we do.  The have to have seen something from Brissett in practice, the game and the meeting room that they feel they can work with.  They believe that he is the guy. 

I know that people are going to say, but Ballard has been personally scouting Jordan Love.  Well, this can be disputed.  I know we have all seen the numerous reports that Ballard as supposedly sent scouts to numerous games of his and that Ballard attended one game at Utah State.  These can be disputed.  The numerous games with scouts is very hard to track (if someone has that please share, I am genuinely interested in this and would love to know if we had anyone at the bowl game).  Secondly, the game Ballard attended in person, is false.  Stephen Holder of the Athletic reported that Ballard was credential for the game but was not actually present.

Ballard is a great GM and he would not be doing his job if he wasn't always looking at QB.  Heck, as much as I hate them, the Patriots are always drafting and flipping QBs.  Ballard would not be doing his job if he wasn't at least scouting potential upgrades.

This leads me to the main point, Ballard and Reich are reported to place a high value on Leadership, Team and Locker Room culture.  This leads me to believe that they won't bring in a veteran QB to replace JB, as this would not be on point with how they have built the team.  Also, these are all things that they brag on about JB.  In a recent article they stated that JB needed to improve many areas of his game but that he had the rare ability to unite people, get them to believe and lead them.  For those who have been in charge of people, that is a very rare quality.  Think about this, JB stepped into a team that was heartbroken and shell shocked.  They were expected to compete for Superbowl and 10 days before the start of the season, their generational franchise QB retires.  All JB did was step in and lead them to 5-2 start.  Then the wheels came of with injuries, including his knee.  He lost, Hilton, Funchess, Rogers, Campbell, Ebron, Allie Cox, Leonard, Hooker, Moore.  Through all of that and the late season skid, he lead them and no one has even blinked about him.  Ballard and Reich haven't flinched, not one player has come out and shown frustration with him.  That is a leader.  HE IS A LEADER.  He will end up, hopefully, leading them to a 8-8 record.

I truly believe that both Ballard and Reich feel that Jacoby can improve his accuracy, timing and field vision.  Reich was a former QB, I think he thinks he can teach him and improve him.

In the end, I believe that 2020-2021 season is going to be the true measuring stick for JB.  They will build around him.  Not just talent wise, but playbook wise.  This is not to say they won't draft a QB, I just don't think it will be high.  They are currently a team built for Luck, they will readjust and be a team built to JB's strengths and scheme away from his weaknesses.  Reich will work with him and so will Tom House to improve his skills.  If he balls out next year, he is the guy going forward.  If not, they move. 

I for one will be pulling for him to succeed.  I am a Colts fan and will root for my QB no matter what, until he is no longer my QB. 

brissett.jpg

23 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Other than Bridgewater, who's there in FA?  Andy Dalton who's going into his age 33 season and has never been able to elevate his team?  Other than those 2 guys it's a melange of mediocrity and a haven of has-beens.

I love that sentence. Good content and nice alliteration. A+

TLDR.

If Jacoby can magically learn how to go through progressions and make proper reads, then yeah there's no question that he will be here long term. 

The reality of it is that he has not improved on that since college, which likely means that he will not learn it at all. Showing no signs of progress since high school does not give one hope for future progress. 

I'm not in a hurry to replace Brissett as a starter next year. I'm in a hurry to get our future QB on the roster. I'm good with Brissett starting as long as we draft our QB of the future and preferably high. 

What I don't want is postponing the inevitable one more year. We need to be looking for the future at the position NOW, not next year or the year after... The earlier we get the guy, the earlier we can start preparing him for his role and the earlier he will be ready for that role(assuming relatively equal draft positions in the next several years). 

44 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I know that's not going to be a popular opinion, but it has the unfortunate air of truth to it.

The fact of the matter is as much trouble as Brissett had in the second half this year, a clear upgrade isn't out there on the market at a reasonable price.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/11/7/20951625/nfl-free-agent-quarterbacks-2020-trades-teddy-bridgewater-cam-newton

The only plausible option out there is really Teddy Bridgewater.  He looked darn good pitching relief in NO, so you can bet he'll be a hot commodity in FA, personally I have him going to the Titans or the Bengals.  Some place where the GM is on the hot seat and is prepared to overpay.  But he is on the market and he is an option.  IMHO, he's THE option, if you want an upgrade at a price that can be reasonably paid.

There may be a couple middling options in trade but how many of them are actually a good bet to outplay Brissett?  And of the guys better than Brissett how many of them are at any risk of being traded?  Either way, the list is pretty short.

That leaves the draft, and if you see a week 1 superstar on the draft board at QB, I sure don't.  Plenty of potential like there always is, but literally all of it looks like it would benefit from sitting a year and holding a clipboard before it sees live action.

Oh and don't even start with the Chad Kelly nonsense.  That decision has very clearly already been made.

In other words, unless we're willing to blow Teddy Bridgewater's agent out of the water, there isn't really that guy out there who represents a significant upgrade.  Since we already have Brissett under contract for another year, there's very little reason not to use him.  So we probably will.

Now with that said there's every possibility that Irsay does force Ballard's hands and we go after Bridgewater.  I'd even be willing to call it a great move IF the price isn't insane.  But unless that happens, we're probably looking at more JB7 next year.

Bridgewater would be an upgrade over Brissett, but not by a whole lot.   I think we could poke the Jags about Foles.  

Chad Kelly does belong in this conversation.   They've seen something in him.  Not saying he should be anointed, but I think the QB position should be an open competition between Brissett, Kelly and whoever else is on the roster.  

I have long been onboard with the JB to rookie QB transition. But now...I hope they are looking at other bridge options. The cries for a new QB are only going to get louder. Not saying the Colts should listen...but if they insist on heading into next season with JB...there is definitely risk involved. Things could get ugly fast. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if they made some wholesale changes at the position. 

29 minutes ago, Myles said:

Bridgewater would be an upgrade over Brissett, but not by a whole lot.   I think we could poke the Jags about Foles.  

Chad Kelly does belong in this conversation.   They've seen something in him.  Not saying he should be anointed, but I think the QB position should be an open competition between Brissett, Kelly and whoever else is on the roster.  

People might not like it...but Foles probably makes more sense than just about anybody (outside of a triumphant Luck return). Could be a blessing that JAC got him in FA and gave him that big deal...because now the Colts can get him on a friendlier deal via trade from a team that will likely be motivated to move him.

Three-team trades don’t happen in the NFL...but a corresponding of JB would make sense in a scenario where you could get Foles. Won’t get a ton back...but probably a middle round pick.

Head into next season with Foles and a rookie QB and go from there. 

Irsay and Ballard aren't going FA for a starter, at least not from the current crop. 

Reich has had to limit the playbook this year so it's silly to think a rookie can't play here early. Indy is a great place for a rookie. Great OL, good running game, and good coaching. 

JB may very well be the starter next year, but let's not pretend it's a given. I'm sure Ballard and Irsay have been looking closely at season ticket sales since they started 11/07. And I doubt Irsay has to force Ballard to do anything. Ballard is likely more business and less emotional than Irsay. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Irsay and Ballard aren't going FA for a starter, at least not from the current crop. 

Reich has had to limit the playbook this year so it's silly to think a rookie can't play here early. Indy is a great place for a rookie. Great OL, good running game, and good coaching. 

JB may very well be the starter next year, but let's not pretend it's a given. I'm sure Ballard and Irsay have been looking closely at season ticket sales since they started 11/07. And I doubt Irsay has to force Ballard to do anything. Ballard is likely more business and less emotional than Irsay. 

Irsay may be watching ticket sales but the Colts were last valued by Forbes at 2.7 Billion dollars.  Irsay is not hurting for cash.  Also it is reported that in 2018, each NFL franchise earned 255 Million just from TV rights.  The gate and butts in seats don't matter as much as they used to.

Also, Ballard could care less about tickets and attendance.  that is not his job.  His job is to put the best team on the field and spend Irsay's money, wisely.

With his most recent game, JB now has a passer rating that is <90. 

Heading into the final game of the season....JB’s stats are almost the same as 2017. The only difference is a handful of TDs from 5 yards or in.

Over bigger samples, talent level regresses  to the mean. Why do we need another 16 game sample?

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I'm not in a hurry to replace Brissett as a starter next year. I'm in a hurry to get our future QB on the roster. I'm good with Brissett starting as long as we draft our QB of the future and preferably high. 

What I don't want is postponing the inevitable one more year. We need to be looking for the future at the position NOW, not next year or the year after... The earlier we get the guy, the earlier we can start preparing him for his role and the earlier he will be ready for that role(assuming relatively equal draft positions in the next several years). 

Yeah, there’s been a shift away from people plugging JB as the long term option to now just saying “well, he’s gonna be the starter next year so get used to it.”

I think most everybody knows JB starting next year is a possibility if not a probability. Especially considering our realistic options in the draft. But I do hope they grab that guy this offseason, assuming Ballard likes one of them.

Archived