Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

WarGhost21

Going into this game, Brissett has performed amazingly well. He has played game manager, and also shown he can be a gunslinger (vs Houston). The only thing we had yet to see from Brissett was how he would respond to a last minute scenario with everything going against the team and the game on the line. Even though overall it was a sloppy performance for Indy, I saw what I wanted to see: Brissett has a clutch gene. I wasn't sure before, and that was the only piece missing from his resume. After this, though, I think Brissett could be just as good as any QB we might select in next years draft, if not better. So I guess my question for the forum is:

Have you seen enough from Brissett to be confident in him at the helm for the foreseeable future, or do we still need to look elsewhere? I think he might just have what it takes to bring this team to glory.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tsarquise said:

Don't know if he will improve, but if "QB of the future" entails a QB as good or close to good as our last two, I would have to say, based on what we have seen so far, no. 

Of course it doesn't mean that. Manning and Luck are two of the most elite QBs based on talent the league has seen. If Brissett is even half of that, with the team now build around him, I think he could do great things.

He's got my vote.  But us having JB should show us the importance of having a strong backup.  Unless we're sure CK is ready for the number 2 spot, I don't mind spending a mid to late round pick on a QB. Or even bringing in a guy with some experience that maybe didn't pan out elsewhere to be our backup.  Like a Mariota or Winston.  Guys like Tannehill or Keenum could be good backups too.  Now if you tell me I can get Justin Fields in 2 years...  Everything changes. 

At this point no. I don't think you can consistently win and have long term success if this is the type of performance you will be getting from your QB. You just need way too many other things to go right and if you give Jacoby a big contract as a franchise QB, that margin for error in the other things gets slimmer. 

But there is still time for him to change my mind until the end of the season. 

I think it will come down to how he performs in the playoffs the next two seasons.

Let's say we face New England once again, and they get the lead, then Brissett has to perform and play from behind and really show how good he is.

If he can hang in there with Brady in a playoff game, or just keep us in games in the playoff, then it's promising. 

BUT, if we are one and done in the playoffs and he does not deliver or play poorly, then I think Ballard will scratch his head and start looking toward the draft or maybe free agency.

It's way too soon to judge him, as the real elite and franchise QB's need to show their level in the playoffs. 

But Flacco, Foles and Eli have won in the playoffs and they are in the same QB category as Brissett, which is just behind the great and elite QB's.  

JB SHOULD get a little better as he gets more snaps

He is a top 13-18 today....... not elite

Give him a decent RG, and have at least ONE of the WRs step up

We will be ok on offense

In my book, JB doesnt need much more proof to be the QB of the future

If we climb to 7-2.......  (very doable) 

We need to just go with JB

I need to see him get better at throwing into tight windows and getting through his reads quickly. He also needs to improve on his pre snap reads. 

JB is like 26th In the league when it comes to average yards per play. 

I personally don’t think he will ever be elite but I also didn’t think he would be playing as good as he is so what the hell do i know. 

Brissett is doing an exceptional job considering expectations before Luck retired.  I still don’t think he is our QB of the future.  Every game has been decided by one score and eventually the team won’t be able to win all of these close ones. It’s been a great season and I’m really enjoying watching them. I’m not

convinced he will be able to lead us to anything more than an early playoff exit. However, chasing the elite QB dream would be a worse decision. We were lucky to have Manning and Luck fall in our laps. Probably won’t happen again for quite some time. 

9 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

As long as he quits staring down receivers, he'll be fine. His arm strength is elite and his escape act yesterday reminded me of ol' what's his name. 

He did great not staring down WR's in the Texans game, but came right back to it this game. 

Yeah that's really not what's happening.

Denver's secondary played a tight game and JB had a hard time finding an open man.  Last week, he found open receivers because the Texans' secondary was depleted and generally not very good.

I'm sure there are moments when his relative inexperience gets the better of him, especially against elite veteran defenses like the Broncos. 

But before I judge JB too harshly I want to see what he does with a full deck of quality receivers, a situation which Brissett has had exactly zero times in his career.

8 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Don't know if he will improve, but if "QB of the future" entails a QB as good or close to good as our last two, I would have to say, based on what we have seen so far, no. 

I agree.   He'll never be as good as Luck or Manning.   

But he could be good enough to be the QB of this team going forward.   He's on the path for that too.  Probably a bit better than Flacco with the Ravens.   He was the Ravens QB of the future at one time.   

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree.   He'll never be as good as Luck or Manning.   

But he could be good enough to be the QB of this team going forward.   He's on the path for that too.  Probably a bit better than Flacco with the Ravens.   He was the Ravens QB of the future at one time.   

That's one thing that I do think we got right by extending him prior to the season, didn't leave us in the Flacco gun to our head situation. 

Flacco did a lot of damage to the Ravens organisation really, they're very lucky to get Jackson. Assuming he doesn't blow up like similar QBs who've come into the league with similar skill sets. IMO he could be a legit franchise guy, but might need to change his playstyle as his career progresses. 

Too early to tell if Brissett is the future.  Need to get some stability and even more talent at WR before we have a good constant by which to measure his performances, IMO.

Pascal, UDFA

Cain, 6th rounder

Fountain, 5th rounder

Rogers, UDFA

Doyle, UDFA. (but has shown to be pretty good)

Hines 4th rounder.

Mack 4 th rounder. 

Wilkins 5th rounder 

Funchess and Campbell haven't played.  Not sure what's up with Ebron.  Both DF and EE have been cast off from the team who drafted them.

Maybe more talent and more consistent talent is needed at the skilled positions is warranted before we can really judge JB?

I’ve seen what I needed to see. I was waiting for him to have that signature moment and he had it. That spin out play to avoid a sack and safety and then throw a dime to Hilton is the type of plays true franchise QBs make. He needs to protect the ball better when he runs but aside from that I like what I see.

i dont know how long he will be here.  hes already signed through next year and at 5-2 we are on pace to miss out on Qbs in the draft

its not crazy to trade up from the middle of the draft to the top 10, but if we finish in the 25 range its pretty expensive 

we may not be in a position to bring in anyone better 

Colts games haven't been aired here on local TV. I've followed them on the basic ESPN app feed along with a few Twitter accounts. With that said, late in yesterdays game, it was 3rd and something and the ball fell incomplete, I think it was to Doyle . One of my twitter feeds, who was at the game, mentioned there were other open WR's on that play and Brissett doesn't go through reads quick enough. That there hasn't been any progression in that area. Then on last possession Brissett made the lazer strike on the run while avoiding the sack.. and it all went away..reminds me of Luck, makes a bonehead throw for a pick 6 right to a defender and then came right back next series with a miracle play. Brissett needs more playing time to really set a guage as to if he,s elite and the franchise QB

We may not be winning 35-14 but we are winning games.This team is 5-2 and from everything I've seen and heard they love JB and believe in him. I really think he is our QB of the future. QB's with lesser talent than Jacoby have been Super Bowl winners. I love Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning but a QB like Brissett may actually allow the Colts to build a better all around team because he probably won't demand a contract on the same level that they would. A few extra million could be the difference in getting a player or 2 that puts us over the top.

Flacco was not the problem in Baltimore. His superbowl run was impressive. He had a very good defense. had some good skill position players. Management let these players walk, the running back was tougher on his girlfriend than would be tacklers.

Eli was an exceptional qb. giants failed to rebuild the o-line, remember how that worked for indy.

There will be days, mostly in the playoffs, the team will not carry the qb. The qb will have to carry the team. we will see soon enough.

Remember during the haydays of the Miami Hurricanes, they always beat up the teams with the running qbs. they were one dementional. Same thing happens in the nfl. they figure you out and put the clamps on you. RG3, cordell stewart,houston's qb, baltimore's qb ect. All these guys could not read defenses or have the skill to get the ball to the alternate reciever without running for it.

29 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i dont know how long he will be here.  hes already signed through next year and at 5-2 we are on pace to miss out on Qbs in the draft

its not crazy to trade up from the middle of the draft to the top 10, but if we finish in the 25 range its pretty expensive 

You aren't going to draft too many people who are already better than Brissett is right now.

IMHO our championship window is already open.    We'd have to beat the Patriots to get there, but that's always going to be true.  We are certainly capable of beating good teams with Jacoby Brissett, that's all we can say for the moment.  At the very least we probably won't beat ourselves the way the Patriots' 2 most recent opponents did.

With the key injuries to teams that were originally ahead of us, like the Texans losing JJ Watt and Mahomes being hobbled, I think it's time to load up, commit to Brissett  and see what happens.  The odds aren't great in our favor but to be perfectly honest they never will be until the city of Boston sinks into the sea.  It's time.

45 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

There isn't a qb worth trading up for 

10 hours ago, Maniac said:

I'm happy with him now, at least for the rest of this season, if he can take us to a division title and a competent playoff showing then he gets next year too... at the very least.

I'm still into the idea of Trevor though.

...and how exactly do you propose we land the top pick?

The season thus far has shown us it's a dumb idea to tank with this team. We're not tanking next year. And we shouldn't trade 3 firsts to get a QB when we already have Brissett, even if he's the next Peyton Manning, which I don't think he is.

Pass...

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

There isn't a great qb in the draft

too soon to say that, i know we are not trading up though if we finish on pace with this record.   there are several in the draft that could be good

Mahomes and Watson were not unanimously seen as great Qbs either.  real teams that needed Qbs passed on these guys 

The answer is so far... I don't know. I've seen good, bad and plain ugly over 7 games so far. Current answer is he's a mid to low range starter in the NFL, which you might argue is enough. 

What I find worrying is that is seems a common opinion that a lot of the bad aspects of his play will improve with time. I'm not so sure, they seem to be issues going all the way back to college, which explains his draft position somewhat, notably:

Inconsistent week to week (but this could be down to gameplan)

Not picking up blitzes well

Not going through all his progressions 

Not seeing open receivers at times 

Still needs work on his pre-snap adjustments (harsh)

Things that are pleasing to see that he's improved on (since college) are his mechanics and accuracy. 

As ever time will tell, and there's not a alternative currently that is viable IMO. This might change by the end of the season. One thing though to consider is we might be able to get a developmental player to sit behind him next year. It's worked out in a few cases recently. 

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

The answer is so far... I don't know. I've seen good, bad and plain ugly over 7 games so far. Current answer is he's a mid to low range starter in the NFL, which you might argue is enough. 

What I find worrying is that is seems a common opinion that a lot of the bad aspects of his play will improve with time. I'm not so sure, they seem to be issues going all the way back to college, which explains his draft position somewhat, notably:

Inconsistent week to week (but this could be down to gameplan)

Not picking up blitzes well

Not going through all his progressions 

Not seeing open receivers at times 

Still needs work on his pre-snap adjustments (harsh)

Things that are pleasing to see that he's improved on (since college) are his mechanics and accuracy. 

As ever time will tell, and there's not a alternative currently that is viable IMO. This might change by the end of the season. One thing though to consider is we might be able to get a developmental player to sit behind him next year. It's worked out in a few cases recently. 

My worry is that the Steelers' D might expose more of these weaknesses next week.

Archived