Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
WarGhost21

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Why not?   If the right guy is there, snatch him up.   Seems like it is a crap shoot no matter what round he is taken in.  

I think that's what we've been both been saying although from different perspectives. 

We could crap out.  But JB is going to be no better than purgatory IMO.  Sometimes "You've got to go through Hell before you get to heaven."

We are 5-2 but have a+7 point differential on teams with a -70 point differential.  It's been fun to watch the team pull things out, but we have walked a razor thin margin to be in a good position.  We are almost certainly getting lucky and winning above what would be predicted against a pretty weak schedule. 

It seems to me that the team and Dame Fortune are carrying the QB to this record and is rarely the other way around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You also don’t take a QB just to take one. We aren’t in the position where we need to just take any QB.  We are in no hurry to have to draft a QB.

Good thing noone here is advocating for that.  I'm qualifying pretty much all of my posts here about drafting a QB with "if we like a QB", "if you love a QB in the draft", etc.

I think theres going to be talent slipping to the bottom of the first round and into the second. No need to reach for a qb but theres no issue taking someone ballard likes with talent (if they fall to us), and having them sit and learn with jb still driving. 

12 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I think that's what we've been both been saying although from different perspectives. 

We could crap out.  But JB is going to be no better than purgatory IMO.  Sometimes "You've got to go through Hell before you get to heaven."

We are 5-2 but have a+7 point differential on teams with a -70 point differential.  It's been fun to watch the team pull things out, but we have walked a razor thin margin to be in a good position.  We are almost certainly getting lucky and winning above what would be predicted against a pretty weak schedule. 

It seems to me that the team and Dame Fortune are carrying the QB to this record and is rarely the other way around.

I think so too.  

We'll have to see how this season progresses.   It looks to me like Reich has been calling a very conservative plan.   If Campbell and Funchess come back and Reich opens it up a bit more, perhaps Brissett will look better.   I don't think he will be great (Ceiling of Prescott/floor of Flacco).   I don't think there is much doubt that he is the starter for next season.  The team is getting to good in most areas and Brissett doesn't make many mistakes so they will be competitive enough to win 10 games.  

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think so too.  

We'll have to see how this season progresses.   It looks to me like Reich has been calling a very conservative plan.   If Campbell and Funchess come back and Reich opens it up a bit more, perhaps Brissett will look better.   I don't think he will be great (Ceiling of Prescott/floor of Flacco).   I don't think there is much doubt that he is the starter for next season.  The team is getting to good in most areas and Brissett doesn't make many mistakes so they will be competitive enough to win 10 games.  

Flacco has been pretty awesome as a playoff QB.  I can't imagine JB ever throwing the ball as well as he did in those games.  Balt fell on hard times after their buildup to the SB. 

9 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Flacco has been pretty awesome as a playoff QB.  I can't imagine JB ever throwing the ball as well as he did in those games.  Balt fell on hard times after their buildup to the SB. 

He did, but without that defense, the Ravens would not have been nearly as good.   I guess I'm saying that I think Brissett, with the Ravens defense of 2012, would have been as good a Flacco was.   Flacco completed 59% of his passes with 22 TD's and 10 INT's.  87 rating, 51 QBR.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Be careful with that "L" word around here. But yes, the Colts record is likely above their pythagorean win total thus far.

And up until this past week, they were bottom 5 in penalties and penalties yards against...while being top 4 in penalty and penalty yards benefitted...which has been a big advantage (see ATL game). Colts are definitely a disciplined team...but it's not necessarily sustainable...and you never know how a crew is going to call a game...as we saw this on Sunday...where we saw the Colts extend the other team's drives (which is what other teams have done for them). 

It sort of reminds me of Luck's rookie season...similar excitement as well. Better team though.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You also don’t take a QB just to take one. We aren’t in the position where we need to just take any QB.  We are in no hurry to have to draft a QB.

By that logic KC never would have drafted Mahomes. 

No suggested taking a QB just to, you know, take one for fun. The conversation was about if value presented itself, as per my direct question to you.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Be careful with that "L" word around here. But yes, the Colts record is likely above their pythagorean win total thus far.

And up until this past week, they were bottom 5 in penalties and penalties yards against...while being top 4 in penalty and penalty yards benefitted...which has been a big advantage (see ATL game). Colts are definitely a disciplined team...but it's not necessarily sustainable...and you never know how a crew is going to call a game...as we saw this on Sunday...where we saw the Colts extend the other team's drives (which is what other teams have done for them). 

It sort of reminds me of Luck's rookie season...similar excitement as well. Better team though.

In terms of a team outperforming itself yes, but the whole #ChuckStrong thing was a real unique thing. Never been so proud of a Colts team as in some of those games. Real magic season. Beating the Lions, GB, wiping the smiles of the Texans faces as we knocked them out of homefield advantage for the playoffs. Good times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

He did, but without that defense, the Ravens would not have been nearly as good.   I guess I'm saying that I think Brissett, with the Ravens defense of 2012, would have been as good a Flacco was.   Flacco completed 59% of his passes with 22 TD's and 10 INT's.  87 rating, 51 QBR.

Not in the playoffs.  He was off the chain in the SB year.  

and even after that when they made it was pretty good.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

And up until this past week, they were bottom 5 in penalties and penalties yards against...while being top 4 in penalty and penalty yards benefitted...which has been a big advantage (see ATL game). Colts are definitely a di sciplined team...but it's not necessarily sustainable...and you never know how a crew is going to call a game...as we saw this on Sunday...where we saw the Colts extend the other team's drives (which is what other teams have done for them). 

Most of the penalties were on an overmatched Rock though on a D that gave up 13 points.

Yeah luck carried a bad team even his rookie year.

12 hours ago, MightyLucks said:

I need to see him get better at throwing into tight windows and getting through his reads quickly. He also needs to improve on his pre snap reads. 

JB is like 26th In the league when it comes to average yards per play. 

I personally don’t think he will ever be elite but I also didn’t think he would be playing as good as he is so what the hell do i know. 

That touchdown to Ebron was a pretty tight window. 

9 hours ago, aaron11 said:

not from where we are on pace to be picking

if we were in the 8-8 range there could be

Well I'm terribly sorry that our unexpected success has so depressingly messed our draft slot up.

Honestly, I hope you're not as serious as you sound.  Otherwise... I dunno.  Draftniks are weird to me, they almost seem to root for their team to fail sometimes.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

the team is also winning because the AFC is extremely weak this year I'm not gonna sit here and sugarcoat it. teams people thought would be good are pretty bad and no one had stepped up to take their place either its basically just the Pats Ravens Chiefs and us. the Ravens imo arent that's great either tho and the chiefs without Pat are Terrible obviously we will be a top AFC team lol

That's why I'm so desperate to see this team buy talent with its vast hoard of picks.  We're never gonna be in a better condition to contend than we are right now. 

Even if we had an elite QB as early as next year, the injury luck will be completely different.  I don't think people realize how much injuries have been insanely in our favor.  The injuries to QBs and other key players have literally eliminated a couple contenders (Jags and Steelers) and neutered the Chiefs into the bargain.   The AFC has basically rolled us a red carpet to a bye.  That may or may not happen again in our lifetimes.  We've gotta take advantage, and not be afraid to spend what it takes to take advantage.

20 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think he has a chance to be right below elite. Maybe even elite. By this time next year just watch out.

I think the key thing we are seeing from JB is how much he keeps improving week in and week out. Now I'm not talking about stats. If that's all anyone is seeing then yeah of course you arent going to see improvement each week. Not everything is about stats. It amazes me how split the forums are when it comes to JB... I feel so lonely in JB campland because I'm happy with Andrew stepping down. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Jacoby Brissett is perfect for the Colts future. The Colts are in a great situation.

The reason why is cost.

Here are the Super Bowl winning quarterbacks this decade.

2010-Aaron Rodgers-Franchise QB on his 1st negotiated contract.

2011-Eli Manning- Second tier QB in talent and salary in 2011

2012-Joe Flacco-Second tier QB who won Super Bowl before his crippling franchise QB deal

2013-Russell Wilson- Franchise QB on his rookie deal

2014-Tom Brady-Franchise QB who gives his team a substantial discount

2015-Peyton Manning-Now a Second Tier QB not being paid top franchise QB money by Denver

2016-Tom Brady-Franchise QB who gives his team a substantial discount

2017-Nick Foles-Second tier back up QB not making any money. Wentz was on his rookie deal.

2018- Tom Brady-Franchise QB who gives his team a substantial discount

Notice a trend?

No team in this era has won a Super Bowl with a franchise quarterback making franchise quarterback money. The franchise QB salary just takes up to much of the salary cap to compete. Teams win Super Bowls with franchise quarterbacks on their rookie deal. Or they win with second tier quarterbacks who are paid slightly less, and thus allow money for players in other positions.

In fact, franchise quarterback salaries can frequently kill a teams Super Bowl chances. The Seahawks for instance, were built with a great defense. The team fell apart not because of age or skill, but because when Russell Wilson signed his franchise quarterback deal, the team had to make cuts elsewhere. The team got worse while Wilson got richer.

He is not alone.

The Ravens took a step back after Flacco signed his franchise quarterback deal following the Ravens Super Bowl win. The Ravens haven't been back since. The highest paid quarterbacks get a lot of headlines, but they do not win Super Bowls. The year the Packers won the Super Bowl, Aaron Rodgers was only the 7th highest paid player on the team.

The lone exception to this “franchise quarterback” rule is Tom Brady. But Brady has never been among the highest paid quarterbacks in football. This allows the Patriots to fill their roster with talented players “the average Joe” has never heard of, at positions that win champions (offensive line and defensive back for example.) They can do this while still benefiting from tier one QB play. Its the #1 secret to the Patriot dynasty. If Tom Brady were being paid at the market rate (like Kurt Cousins) for example, there is no way he would have that great defense backing him up.

Matt Ryan and, Matt Stafford are among the highest paid quarterbacks in football. How are their teams doing? You wonder why the Falcons' defense is so bad? Look at Matt Ryan's ridiculous salary.

Do you know what's harder to find than a franchise quarterback?; Finding a quarterback who is good enough to win without breaking the salary cap!!

Jacoby Brissett is not the most talented quarterback in the NFL. But he will not be the most expensive either. The data is clear. To build a championship team, you need quality quarterback play at limited cost. 35 million dollar quarterbacks do not win Super Bowls. Building this team around Jacoby Brissett is the smartest move this organization can make.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

As previously stated I think Jacoby’s ceiling is Being like Alex Smith, we can win with him but need a talented roster. That’s why I don’t think he is qb of our future. 

Side note idk if it’s from him or Reich but Jacoby never really throws the ball down field

4 minutes ago, t-rex said:

Jacoby Brissett is not the most talented player in the NFL. But he will not be nearly as expensive either. The data is clear. To build a championship team, you need quality quarterback play at limited cost. 35 million dollar quarterbacks do not win Super Bowls. Building this team around Jacoby Brissett is the smartest move this organization can make.

Unless JB wants a lot of money, and gets overpayed 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Excellent Point. This is exactly right.

9 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Something tells me his mindset is more team win oriented that money oriented

No, Jacoby is a safe QB. And that QB may allow you to beat a good team every now and then. But will get you beat against teams that they should blow out. I don’t think he’s the best QB on the roster. But he has been here the longest and has put in his dues. So he deserves a shot this year. But I think the Colts should draft another QB early in the 2020 draft. 70 yards passing in the first half (that’s disturbing)

21 minutes ago, JR Indy said:

No, Jacoby is a safe QB. And that QB may allow you to beat a good team every now and then. But will get you beat against teams that they should blow out. I don’t think he’s the best QB on the roster. But he has been here the longest and has put in his dues. So he deserves a shot this year. But I think the Colts should draft another QB early in the 2020 draft. 70 yards passing in the first half (that’s disturbing)

Broncos Defense/Net Passing Yards Against 2019

Opponent/Yards (Ranked from most to least)

Raiders 259

Packers 235

Chargers 211

Colts 191

Chiefs 191

Jaguars 186

Titans 165

Bears 120

The Broncos have an excellent pass defense. They have yet to give up 300 net yards passing to any team this season. The Broncos have given up less than 200 net yards passing for their last 3 games. This information was sent to NFL reporters by the Colts after yesterday's game to help them provide proper context with regard to the opponent they were playing.

The Colt offense had a ton of issues Sunday. But as the numbers show, they were playing an opponent that defensively is much better than the general public realizes. In fact only 3 offenses have moved the ball through the air against the Broncos better than the Colts. And those three top teams all played the Broncos early in the season.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Well I'm terribly sorry that our unexpected success has so depressingly messed our draft slot up.

Honestly, I hope you're not as serious as you sound.  Otherwise... I dunno.  Draftniks are weird to me, they almost seem to root for their team to fail sometimes.

no im not rooting for tanking

im just not hoping to keep him a long time either 

17 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

We may not be winning 35-14 but we are winning games.This team is 5-2 and from everything I've seen and heard they love JB and believe in him. I really think he is our QB of the future. QB's with lesser talent than Jacoby have been Super Bowl winners. I love Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning but a QB like Brissett may actually allow the Colts to build a better all around team because he probably won't demand a contract on the same level that they would. A few extra million could be the difference in getting a player or 2 that puts us over the top.

So, in your mind, Jacoby is the equivalent to Dak Prescott on the Cowboys then? Good, not great. Serviceable if you put enough talent around him--Reliable ground game, stellar o-line to allow him to go thru his progressions, & a D that can prevent 3rd down conversions consistently. I see where you're coming from. 

14 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

the team is also winning because the AFC is extremely weak this year I'm not gonna sit here and sugarcoat it. teams people thought would be good are pretty bad and no one had stepped up to take their place either its basically just the Pats Ravens Chiefs and us. the Ravens imo arent that's great either tho and the chiefs without Pat are Terrible obviously we will be a top AFC team lol

I agree with this. The Ravens don't scare me since Jackson is more of a runner than a pocket passer. Regarding KC, their offense runs primarily thru TE Travis Kielce. Hit him early & often disrupting his routes off the line of scrimmage & the Chiefs just aren't the same high octane team I'm sorry. They're just not. 

12 hours ago, shastamasta said:

That's why you draft the rookie this year and develop him for a year while JB is still under contract next year. 

This is similar to what KC did. Smith was an above average QB for years, but they wanted more at QB. And those plans to replace Smith actually started when Ballard was still there.

I actually think an Alex Smith type is the ceiling for JB...which isn't a bad thing...but likely not enough to win Super Bowls. 

That's actually a good comparison. JB can do alright in the regular season--Win division titles, but playoff games when opponents shutdown the running game? I must admit I have considerable doubts here. I can't lie. Good post SMTA. I like Brissett, but can he deliver outside in the cold in Foxboro? No. Jamie Collins & that D is smothering man. 

• Like 1

Look, I will admit that Jacoby have succeeded my expectations. Luck retired & I thought our season was over & we were toast. However, Brissett gelled in the locker room & gradually got better week to week. He's also been mentored by Bill Parcels which carries a ton of gravity & weight because Jacoby is mentally strong & resilient. 

Still...Where does that leave our franchise longterm? Translation: Can we win a Lombardi under his leadership? If you hesitate even for a moment in answering that question, you have your answer. Jacoby is like a woman you date for awhile, but not necessarily walk down the aisle with. He's okay for now, but the guy? Not ready to take the deep dive plunge on him as the face of our franchise even with Reich & Ballard guiding him. Sorry. Love the kid personally, but I want rings & that means keep searching in the draft. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

These guys love them some Jacoby.

I do like seeing INDY get some positive buzz for once since so many NFL sports shows tend to ignore us or only mention our team in passing like a minor afterthought. It's the main reason why I routinely watch Colin Cowherd on FS1 because he praises our GM, HC, sound structure/professionalism as an organization. INDY knows how to ignore the noise--Go to work--& grind it out yr after yr. 

Okay sure, there's the chance  that Jacoby improves next yr too. Then, we let him pursue other NFL opportunities & we get burned because we didn't lock him down with a multi-year starting QB deal. It's a possibility. However, you can't live in fear though. If the face of your franchise isn't in your building, keep kicking over every rock until you know. Yep, we finally landed our guy for the next decade or so. 

I know; I know. Don't let the pursuit of perfection paralyze you. Every QB has flaws & good is better than being miserable with nonstop loses. Touche. Gotta win in December & right now, if you hooked me up to a lie detector, I don't believe Jacoby can do that. Just being honest. Yeah. I know. Peyton Manning had his post season struggles too before he overcome his post season narrative & became a future HOFer as well. 

We seem to be going through a weird quarterback era in the NFL. Highly touted (paid) free agents and top draft picks seem to be regressing by the week whereas mid to late round picks and even undrafted free agents are almost coming in and playing with freedom and poise.

I can't see how or why we replace Jacoby in the short to medium term. Apart from 1 or 2 games he hasn't really wowed but he hasn't really done anything wrong and very importantly seems to have the whole locker room behind him and embody the team first ethos we seem to have.

Who would we replace him with? A top pick may just leave us tied to the next Baker Mayfield or Sam Darnold and free agency might give us Kirk Cousins and Nick Foles. To me, I'd follow the trend, keep churning away with young midround picks as back ups and if we happen to strike gold then so be it.

16 hours ago, Nickster said:

I think the outcome bias is staggering.  WE have a good record, but as much as we could have beaten LAC, we could have easily lost every game we've played too.

Lots of things have had to occur for us to be 5-2.  The QB was a signigicant asset in only one of our wins IMO.  That would be last weeks game.  Other than that I think he is more likely a net negative than a net positive.

The Houston game is our only impressive win IMO.  But that was at home and Houston isn't great.  In KC JB was a negative in the 1st half and a non factor in the second.  

The best win besides Houston would have been TENN and JB wasn't great in that one to say the least.  

We have 5 wins and a net +7 total margin of victory.  We are winning more than would be predicted. 

Hope it keeps up, but in the long run, it won't.

I must admit that it took courage to write this post Nickster. An  interesting point about the outcome bias too since most people associate winning with being headed in the right direction. If we were 2-5, this forum would have a drastically different assessment of Jacoby, even if a hypothetical losing streak wasn't actually his fault.

Midway thru the season where we are now across the league, teams start to ascend or free fall as we are starting to close in on week 10 of the regular season. Jacoby did surprise me eluding Von Miller this weekend & getting the ball to TY Hilton. Just when I think Jacoby is slightly above average, he surprises me. The question is was this a sign of clutch QB growth or just brief happenstance luck unlikely to be duplicated down the stretch? My head says no, but there's a voice that whimpers maybe not. 

Anyway, I respect the moxy in saying what you said going against the grain of conventional consensus wisdom of the masses. I like rebellion by it's nature going against the grain. That takes guts. Thank you.  

3 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

We seem to be going through a weird quarterback era in the NFL. Highly touted (paid) free agents and top draft picks seem to be regressing by the week whereas mid to late round picks and even undrafted free agents are almost coming in and playing with freedom and poise.

I can't see how or why we replace Jacoby in the short to medium term. Apart from 1 or 2 games he hasn't really wowed but he hasn't really done anything wrong and very importantly seems to have the whole locker room behind him and embody the team first ethos we seem to have.

Who would we replace him with? A top pick may just leave us tied to the next Baker Mayfield or Sam Darnold and free agency might give us Kirk Cousins and Nick Foles. To me, I'd follow the trend, keep churning away with young midround picks as back ups and if we happen to strike gold then so be it.

Cousins on our team would be amazing I'll take it all day long 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

this team was getting SB talk if we had andrew luck.  i think it would be easier to find a better QB than it would to build a team that is so great we could win it with Jacoby 

11 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

this team was getting SB talk if we had andrew luck.  i think it would be easier to find a better QB than it would to build a team that is so great we could win it with Jacoby 

Maybe/maybe not.   I see so many teams who try for years to find a great QB and just keep missing the playoffs.   I do think we need to look though.   If a QB that gBallard really likes would fall to us in the draft, we should take him.   I don't want to see us trade a bunch of picks to move up to draft a guy who may not be better than Brissett.  I think Ballard has been building a solid team and may only be 1 draft away from having this team solid all the way around.   Obviously DL should be the next priority.   

7 hours ago, Nickster said:

what makes you think that?

Hes a colt haha!... I should have said hes a better leader than smith. Skill wise that has yet to be seen. 

12 hours ago, t-rex said:

Jacoby Brissett is perfect for the Colts future. The Colts are in a great situation.

The reason why is cost.

Here are the Super Bowl winning quarterbacks this decade.

2010-Aaron Rodgers-Franchise QB on his 1st negotiated contract.

2011-Eli Manning- Second tier QB in talent and salary in 2011

2012-Joe Flacco-Second tier QB who won Super Bowl before his crippling franchise QB deal

2013-Russell Wilson- Franchise QB on his rookie deal

2014-Tom Brady-Franchise QB who gives his team a substantial discount

2015-Peyton Manning-Now a Second Tier QB not being paid top franchise QB money by Denver

2016-Tom Brady-Franchise QB who gives his team a substantial discount

2017-Nick Foles-Second tier back up QB not making any money. Wentz was on his rookie deal.

2018- Tom Brady-Franchise QB who gives his team a substantial discount

Notice a trend?

No team in this era has won a Super Bowl with a franchise quarterback making franchise quarterback money. The franchise QB salary just takes up to much of the salary cap to compete. Teams win Super Bowls with franchise quarterbacks on their rookie deal. Or they win with second tier quarterbacks who are paid slightly less, and thus allow money for players in other positions.

In fact, franchise quarterback salaries can frequently kill a teams Super Bowl chances. The Seahawks for instance, were built with a great defense. The team fell apart not because of age or skill, but because when Russell Wilson signed his franchise quarterback deal, the team had to make cuts elsewhere. The team got worse while Wilson got richer.

He is not alone.

The Ravens took a step back after Flacco signed his franchise quarterback deal following the Ravens Super Bowl win. The Ravens haven't been back since. The highest paid quarterbacks get a lot of headlines, but they do not win Super Bowls. The year the Packers won the Super Bowl, Aaron Rodgers was only the 7th highest paid player on the team.

The lone exception to this “franchise quarterback” rule is Tom Brady. But Brady has never been among the highest paid quarterbacks in football. This allows the Patriots to fill their roster with talented players “the average Joe” has never heard of, at positions that win champions (offensive line and defensive back for example.) They can do this while still benefiting from tier one QB play. Its the #1 secret to the Patriot dynasty. If Tom Brady were being paid at the market rate (like Kurt Cousins) for example, there is no way he would have that great defense backing him up.

Matt Ryan and, Matt Stafford are among the highest paid quarterbacks in football. How are their teams doing? You wonder why the Falcons' defense is so bad? Look at Matt Ryan's ridiculous salary.

Do you know what's harder to find than a franchise quarterback?; Finding a quarterback who is good enough to win without breaking the salary cap!!

Jacoby Brissett is not the most talented quarterback in the NFL. But he will not be the most expensive either. The data is clear. To build a championship team, you need quality quarterback play at limited cost. 35 million dollar quarterbacks do not win Super Bowls. Building this team around Jacoby Brissett is the smartest move this organization can make.

This is what makes what Tom Brady did by giving his team a discount so dang impressive. 

Not many pro athletes will ever do something like that but by taking a hit to his bottom line Brady set up the new Dynasty.  Because it allowed Belichick the financial flexibility to finish the roster and still have one of the best QBs in the modern era under center.

Also I'm more than confident that despite the financial hit of the reduced salary, Tom Brady has more than made his money back from other revenue streams.  Something I wish other athletes would bear in mind 

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Maybe/maybe not.   I see so many teams who try for years to find a great QB and just keep missing the playoffs.   I do think we need to look though.   If a QB that gBallard really likes would fall to us in the draft, we should take him.   I don't want to see us trade a bunch of picks to move up to draft a guy who may not be better than Brissett.  I think Ballard has been building a solid team and may only be 1 draft away from having this team solid all the way around.   Obviously DL should be the next priority.   

I think there's not many who  would disagree with a a lot said here. 

Best case scenario is we see enough from Brissett that you know he's very much the guy and all this debate is put to bed. Unlikely, bearing in mind we had posters on here who didn't think Luck was a franchise level QB. 

Obviously a lot is going to change between now and April, but in the scenario you describe I wouldn't be so adverse to a QB if one falls. 

I really want a difference maker on the interior DLine more than anything currently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

This is what makes what Tom Brady did by giving his team a discount so dang impressive. 

Not many pro athletes will ever do something like that but by taking a hit to his bottom line Brady set up the new Dynasty.  Because it allowed Belichick the financial flexibility to finish the roster and still have one of the best QBs in the modern era under center.

Also I'm more than confident that despite the financial hit of the reduced salary, Tom Brady has more than made his money back from other revenue streams.  Something I wish other athletes would bear in mind 

Being a franchise QB isn't just about the level of play on the field certainly. The off field stuff and personality are a huge part too. Even if you hate Brady you can appreciate how he has seen the bigger picture throughout his career, and I do feel in return he has a lot of influence in that organisation. That's really saying something when you've got a coach/GM who is practically unquestionable. Just thinking of how any other QB showing any talent on that roster is moved on eventually. Often for good value true. 

5 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I think there's not many who  would disagree with a a lot said here. 

Best case scenario is we see enough from Brissett that you know he's very much the guy and all this debate is put to bed. Unlikely, bearing in mind we had posters on here who didn't think Luck was a franchise level QB. 

Obviously a lot is going to change between now and April, but in the scenario you describe I wouldn't be so adverse to a QB if one falls. 

I really want a difference maker on the interior DLine more than anything currently. 

I don't think getting a FA QB for next year is likely to happen.   Not much out there.

Dak will stay with Cowboys

Rivers will stay with Chargers

Winston - No

Mariotta - No

Tannehill - No

Bridgewater - Interesting.  Will he stay a Saint if Brees doesn't retire?

So we most likely draft a QB and roll with Brissett for 2020.  Maybe Ballard still has Kelly in mind.  

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't think getting a FA QB for next year is likely to happen.   Not much out there.

Dak will stay with Cowboys

Rivers will stay with Chargers

Winston - No

Mariotta - No

Tannehill - No

Bridgewater - Interesting.  Will he stay a Saint if Brees doesn't retire?

So we most likely draft a QB and roll with Brissett for 2020.  Maybe Ballard still has Kelly in mind.  

I'd the chances are a viable long term franchise QB in FA is into the realms of unicorns. I'd not be adverse to Mariotta or Bridgewater as a backup, but depends on the price massively. 

Kelly is the wildcard, but I don't want to open that can of worms again.

I think as you say, the only way we have a new QB on the roster next year is if a QB we love falls to us for the right value. Even then it will be a sit and learn brief.

• Like 1