Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

WarGhost21

Just now, Myles said:

That's a great point.   

Hes not a rookie, he's been in camp both years. He's sat in the film sessions just as much as Luck, in fact more now. He's not new to the playbook either. 

Again this is the concern I have, the mistakes he makes are similar to a lot of 1st year rookies, and hes certainly had at least a year's worth of experience starting. Namely failing to pick up blitzes and not making his was through all the progressions. Both of which were also knocks on him in college. I think it's fair to want to see progress in these areas, especially picking up and nullifying blitzes. The best turn a blitz into an advantage in some ways. Maybe we were spoiled with Manning. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Hes not a rookie, he's been in camp both years. He's sat in the film sessions just as much as Luck, in fact more now. He's not new to the playbook either. 

Again this is the concern I have, the mistakes he makes are similar to a lot of 1st year rookies, and hes certainly had at least a year's worth of experience starting. Namely failing to pick up blitzes and not making his was through all the progressions. Both of which were also knocks on him in college. I think it's fair to want to see progress in these areas, especially picking up and nullifying blitzes. The best turn a blitz into an advantage in some ways. Maybe we were spoiled with Manning. 

there has been progress

19 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Huh. Or maybe have some patience.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

But seriously, I have watched each game (sometimes twice) and I don't know that he looks better now than he did to start the season. 

What are you looking for?

I've looked for Jacoby to build rapport and trust with Reich and his receivers and to lead the team on the field.  So far I have seen that. 

I've also seen him make some very nice throws and take over a couple games, which I wasn't sure I'd see this year.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Valid.  But I think the real question boils down to-

Can the Colts obtain a QB that will progress faster and farther and pass JB7 a few years down the road?

The next Q is at what cost will those QB's be down the road?

As CB says, they can't miss that putt. At worst they have to get it next to the hole.  That's not guaranteed either.

IF the Colts do take a QB, I think the chance for success is likely higher than most teams taking a QB early. One of the best OLs, top 10 running game, maybe the best TE tandem, and the WR group is much better than advertised IMO. Add in a good but not great D on the rise.

Out of the teams that will likely take a QB (Fins, Bucs, Bengals all dumpster fires), and the teams that might (LAC, Titans), the Colts have easily the best core, and probably the best environment to surround a young QB. 

37 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Just out of curiosity, who do you think took the majority of first team reps at QB this year in camp...

Cain and Campbell took most of their reps from walker and Kelly in camp and preseason.  They might of had a few but not many. One of the reasons JB trusts pascal is he had a ton of reps with him running the scout team in 2018. Campbell had one day of TC before he got hurt. Cain has to work his way up to even get any snaps in TC on thr first team. He had very few.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Cain and Campbell took most of their reps from walker and Kelly in camp and preseason.  They might of had a few but not many. One of the reasons JB trusts pascal is he had a ton of reps with him running the scout team in 2018. Campbell had one day of TC before he got hurt. Cain has to work his way up to even get any snaps in TC on thr first team. He had very few.

But that would have rung true for Luck too... if Luck was playing like this you know full well questions would be asked.

45 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't disagree that he can and will improve.   I'm just saying that I haven't seen improvement this season.  

I don’t know what you want to see. Every game it’s own entity. Your going to play teams with tougher defenses one week and not so tough the next . Your not going to have a beautiful game every week. Brady doesn’t even do that. Every time he does something everyone says he needs to do you make something else up to set the bar again. We have one games in every different way. No game is the same.

7 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

But that would have rung true for Luck too... if Luck was playing like this you know full well questions would be asked.

My point wasn’t even TC. Luck was known for working with his WR in the off season on his own time. Before minicamp and out at Stanford.  

These threads are dumb because everyone is agreeing he needs to improve. It’s how you state things is why there is arguments. These threads don’t accomplish anything except going around in circles.

33 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Everyone's new to the playbook.  That's because the playbook is new.  Reich only came in last year after all

Very little of Brissett's playing experience before 2018 with Pagano or Belichick correlates to how Reich wants him doing things.  That was, of course, also true of Luck, and used to excuse some of the shortcomings that led to the 1-5 hole that Reich and Luck (and if rumors are to be believed, Brissett) rallied the team out of.

Brissett has service years working with the Colts, but he has no more time than anyone else in Reich's system because Reich's system is new.  Also you know as well as I do that t's one thing to be on the roster and practicing with the team, and another thing to be facing everything that an NFL QB1 has to deal with, all in real time.

While no, Brissett is not a rookie, he's also not meaningfully a veteran.  He came into this season with 4 year's NFL service time but barely 1 full year's NFL experience on his resume.   As in, week 1 this year was his 17th career start

He's in the awkward tweener stage where he still has a lot to learn, still has time to learn it, but is expected not to make a bunch of obvious rookie mistakes on the field.  Fortunately, the extra service time does mean that Brissett has had time to mature emotionally and become an off-the-field leader.  That's not going to help him learn how to execute against an NFL pass rush, but it does mean that he has some ways to make himself useful even when the passing game isn't working, as he did last Sunday.

Sure, the mistakes he makes are a bit rookieish at times, but he also makes plays and decisions you expect out of a veteran of the game. 

And the fact is that he doesn't make very many mistakes at all.  His turnover rate is among the bottom of the league.  He's not the best thrower but he doesn't put the ball in danger.  He's had some issues with fumbles but I'd be inclined to put most of the onus for that on the young OL, who have all the talent in the world and are developing well but also make the occasional mistake.

So can you cherry pick some individual plays as cause for concern?  Sure, and you can also do that for 31 other starting Qbs, and for most of them you can find a far greater quantity.

If it would make you feel better I bet Brissett and Reich are also identifying areas for improvement and working hard on some of those areas.  Brissett doesn't strike me as the type to have a problem with his game exposed and not work on it and even if he was, Reich isn't.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

My point wasn’t even TC. Luck was known for working with his WR in the off season on his own time. Before minicamp and out at Stanford.  

These threads are dumb because everyone is agreeing he needs to improve. It’s how you state things is why there is arguments. These threads don’t accomplish anything except going around in circles.

You mean using things to inform an opinion before discussing it? Dear lord I’m a monster. 

Plenty on both sides of the coin, though it really isn’t a divisive as it’s been made out to be, have been capable of having reasonable conversations about it. 

If you don’t like it, no one is forcing you to take part.

3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Everyone's new to the playbook.  That's because the playbook is new.  Very little of Brissett's playing experience before 2018 with Pagano or Belichick correlates to how Reich wants him doing things.

Brissett has service years working with the Colts, but he has no more time than anyone else in Reich's system because Reich's system is new.  Also you know as well as I do that t's one thing to be on the roster and practicing with the team, and another thing to be facing everything that an NFL QB1 has to deal with, all in real time.

While no, Brissett is not a rookie, he's also not meaningfully a veteran.  He came into this season with 4 year's NFL service time but barely 1 full year's NFL experience on his resume.   As in, week 1 this year was his 17th career start

He's in the awkward tweener stage where he still has a lot to learn, still has time to learn it, but is expected not to make a bunch of obvious rookie mistakes on the field.  Fortunately, the extra service time does mean that Brissett has had time to mature emotionally and become an off-the-field leader.  That's not going to help him learn how to execute against an NFL pass rush, but it does mean that he has some ways to make himself useful even when the passing game isn't working, as he did last Sunday.

Sure, the mistakes he makes are a bit rookieish at times, but he also makes plays and decisions you expect out of a veteran of the game. 

And the fact is that he doesn't make very many mistakes at all.  His turnover rate is among the bottom of the league.  He's not the best thrower but he doesn't put the ball in danger.  He's had some issues with fumbles but I'd be inclined to put most of the onus for that on the young OL, who have all the talent in the world and are developing well but also make the occasional mistake.

So can you cherry pick some individual plays as cause for concern?  Sure, and you can also do that for 31 other starting Qbs, and for most of them you can find a far greater quantity.

If it would make you feel better I bet Brissett and Reich are also identifying areas for improvement and working hard on some of those areas.  Brissett doesn't strike me as the type to have a problem with his game exposed and not work on it and even if he was, Reich isn't.

Great post. From what I have read he is working hard with Marcus Brady. 

I just think it will be fun to see how much he improves next season after having a entire off season being the guy. He can take steps in getting the WR together on a off day and working with them. This season is a big work in progress still. Yet we are 5-2 and still not playing our best or have we hit our ceiling.

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Great post. From what I have read he is working hard with Marcus Brady. 

I just think it will be fun to see how much he improves next season after having a entire off season being the guy. He can take steps in getting the WR together on a off day and working with them. This season is a big work in progress still. Yet we are 5-2 and still not playing our best or have we hit our ceiling.

I like the sound of that personally, and I agree.  We've nowhere near hit our ceiling. 

Unless something catastrophic happens we're contenders for at least the next 5 years. 

What I'm seeing here is less about Brissett and more about philosophy of team building and how fans want to see Ballard close the remaining gap between this team and what we consider its rightful place among the elite teams in the NFL. 

Some believe that the major centerpiece of the team is QB and to win, you need the best possible QB -- and a guy whose merely sufficient can block them from getting to the next level and leave the team stuck on a treadmill.  A valid concern and you don't have to look too hard to see an example -- the Titans and Marcus Mariota.

Others believe that the best way to win Superbowls is to stack the D and use a sufficient QB to hold down the offense.  Examples of this include Phil Simms, Brad Johnson, Kurt Warner, and a lot of guys that people didn't know of at the time that turned out to be elite later, like Tom Brady, Russel Wilson, and Big Ben Roethlisberger.

The fact is that both models CAN win, but IMHO history favors defensive teams.  So I'm happy with Brissett in a Phil Simms kind of role and want to see a focus on building around that guy, get him a steady stable of receivers and then go big on D. 

The QB-first school of roster building doesn't like that very much and probably feels that we'd be selling ourselves short.  Their way can work too, but IMHO it seems to be less successful on the whole when you look at the history.

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Honestly, you post a lot of anecdotal stuff with not a lot of substance which draws criticism. Conversely, when anyone mentions deficiencies you're one of  the first to defend. 

12 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I like the sound of that personally, and I agree.  We've nowhere near hit our ceiling. 

Unless something catastrophic happens we're contenders for at least the next 5 years. 

What I'm seeing here is less about Brissett and more about philosophy of team building and how fans want to see Ballard close the remaining gap between this team and what we consider its rightful place among the elite teams in the NFL. 

Some believe that the major centerpiece of the team is QB and to win, you need the best possible QB -- and a guy whose merely sufficient can block them from getting to the next level and leave the team stuck on a treadmill.  A valid concern and you don't have to look too hard to see an example -- the Titans and Marcus Mariota.

Others believe that the best way to win Superbowls is to stack the D and use a sufficient QB to hold down the offense.  Examples of this include Phil Simms, Brad Johnson, Kurt Warner, and a lot of guys that people didn't know of at the time that turned out to be elite later, like Tom Brady, Russel Wilson, and Big Ben Roethlisberger.

The fact is that both models CAN win, but IMHO history favors defensive teams.  So I'm happy with Brissett in a Phil Simms kind of role and want to see a focus on building around that guy, get him a steady stable of receivers and then go big on D. 

The QB-first school of roster building doesn't like that very much and probably feels that we'd be selling ourselves short.  Their way can work too, but IMHO it seems to be less successful on the whole when you look at the history.

Brady has never won a SB with out a top defense.

The fact people even consider him a mediocre QB is funny. I have seen a bunch of mediocre play  and JB Is not it. How many different ways has he won games this year. Every game has been different. A sign of a great QB is what we saw sunday. When nothing is going right you will them to a win in the final moments because not every game is going to be pretty.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Brady has never won a SB with out a top defense.

The fact people even consider him a mediocre QB is funny. I have seen a bunch of mediocre play  and JB Is not it. How many different ways has he won games this year. Every game has been different. A sign of a great QB is what we saw sunday. When nothing is going right you will them to a win in the final moments because not every game is going to be pretty.

You'll note I did use the word "sufficient."  I'd say that's about the worst you could possibly rate Brissett, and I think that's selling him way short.

my personal opinion is Brissett IS elite, or at least has elite potential, but since it's an open question I didn't want to derail the point I was making by insist everyone see things my way.

45 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t know what you want to see. Every game it’s own entity. Your going to play teams with tougher defenses one week and not so tough the next . Your not going to have a beautiful game every week. Brady doesn’t even do that. Every time he does something everyone says he needs to do you make something else up to set the bar again. We have one games in every different way. No game is the same.

Of course,   That also can be used against the people who have claimed he has been improving as this season has gone on.   

My point is that I haven't seen improvement.   IMO, he was above average when the season started and he is still the same.   Things could change that of course.  Getting the WR's healthy and Reich opening it up more would be my guesses.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

Of course,   That also can be used against the people who have claimed he has been improving as this season has gone on.   

My point is that I haven't seen improvement.   IMO, he was above average when the season started and he is still the same.   Things could change that of course.  Getting the WR's healthy and Reich opening it up more would be my guesses.  

I'd like to know what you think it is to improve. 

Please, this is an earnest question.  I think it gets to the heart of why you feel this way so I'd appreciate a forthright answer.  If you don't want to answer that in the thread feel free to PM me.

on the topic of improvement... listing the pure stats, and also some context

per game, and also current average and ranking

Game ---------------CHA / TNT / FAL / RAI / CHI / TEX / BRO

Pass D Rank -----  6     /  16  /   23  /  30  /  11  /   28   /   4

AdjQBR --------    59.0 / 34.9 / 72.3 / 31.4/ 32.2/ 67.9 /  42.9

Complet %----    77.8 / 60.7 / 75.7 / 52.2 / 62.1 / 66.7 / 60.0

AGGN% ---------  22.2 / 17.9 / 10.8 / 21.7 / 13.8 / 12.8 / 12.0

AVG YPA ------     7.0  /  5.2  /  8.4  /  5.8   / 5.2   / 8.4   /  8.1

TimeToThrow- 2.33 / 3.01 / 2.61 / 2.82 / 3.32 / 2.95 / 3.05

Sacks -------------   2    /   3     /   1    /  0     /   1    /    1    /   4

Sack D Rank ---  19  /   11   /   32  /  26   /  5    /    22  /   21

Current Average and Rank

QBR: 49.0 (19th)

Completion %: 64.5 (16th)

AGGN% : 16.0 (23rd)

AVG YPA: 6.9 (24th)

Time to Throw: 2.86 (22nd)

Sacks: 29th most sacked QB

Context (impacts to our O performance)

Raiders - TY was out

Chiefs - 3 of 4 DL were out for Chiefs

Houston - 3 DBs were out for Houston

Denver - 2 DBs out

Interesting things

1) LAC - against one of the better passing Ds, JB had a good TTT, 3rd highest personal QBR, highest completion %, and TY and Cain were the leading WRs. 

2) Raiders - against the worst passing D we've faced, JB had his worst QBR. TY being out certainly had an impact, but it's very hard to believe other WRs weren't open vs the 30th ranked passing D.

3) While the Broncos have the best passing D we've faced thus far this year, JB's AGGN% was relatively low (meaning his receivers were pretty open).

Good Trends

1) His AGGN% has been down the last 3 games

Bad Trends

1) His completion % and TTT has been mediocre to bad the past 4 games

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Lol to not showing improvement. Everyone was praising him after the Texan game. No game is going to be the same. Brady put up only 16 pts against the bills. There are teams with good defenses. Guess what Jacoby has beat the two best defenses we have played this year. Your not going to score at will against every team. We have won games in all different ways this year. That is a sign of a good team.

Game by game, you need to look at other players and how well they played. If he didnt get help then yeah I can see why his game wasnt great. Vs Denver the oline had its worst game of the season hands down yet, no one wants to talk about that. Brissett has been just as consistent as this offensive line if not more so. 

If Andrew had 15 TDs to 3 INTs we would all been throwing parades downtown for the man. 

Saying he is 24th in YPA is kind of misleading. When I look at the list most of the QB around the 6.5 to 7.5 YPA. That is such a tiny difference. There are only s few 8 and above. Then when your talking two yards over every throw the entire season that isn’t even that much. That’s like going from the 10 yard line to the 12 yard line. 

Looking at this list there are very few QB over 8 YPA. Everyone is around what Brissett is.  The ranking is kind of meaningless when everyone is that close. Reich is correct.  You want to have more then your opponent within a game. That means you want more then your defense gives up. That is what we should look at. What has it been per game compared to what the opponent got.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing.htm

Maybe someone has mentioned it but I haven't seen it. Doesn't Denver having a great defense play into some of JB's miscues? They have a great secondary with Harris and they have Von Miller. They may have been 2-5 (now 2-6) heading into our game but their defense is top notch. Flacco took care of the ball as well so JB didn't have any gifts either where he could put up easy points. Lets give Denver credit for having a fantastic game plan. Their D.Line outplayed our O.Line IMO. 

Andrew Luck ran into the same problem against the Jags last year when we got shut out 6-0. At least we did beat Denver.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Saying he is 24th in YPA is kind of misleading. When I look at the list most of the QB around the 6.5 to 7.5 YPA. That is such a tiny difference. There are only s few 8 and above. Then when your talking two yards over every throw the entire season that isn’t even that much. That’s like going from the 10 yard line to the 12 yard line. 

Wasn't it you that brought up Reich's comment on YPA....

Talking YPA isn't misleading. It's one of many data points. I just listed all the stats and ranks, and it's more of a culmination of the data, than anything. His Adj QBR is more concerning than his YPA, at least to me. IMO, many of these stats should be much better given the OL and simply the fact he's one of the least sacked QBs in the league. 

26 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You clearly don't understand the stat if you think that's a tiny difference. Let's talk RBs for instance.... 0.5 yard per carry isn't huge according to the above. 

But multiply that over a the expected number of attempts for a RB and it soon adds up to serious volume. 

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Looking at this list there are very few QB over 8 YPA. Everyone is around what Brissett is.  The ranking is kind of meaningless when everyone is that close. Reich is correct.  You want to have more then your opponent within a game. That means you want more then your defense gives up. That is what we should look at. What has it been per game compared to what the opponent got.

If you read the other post where I went into this...

We've lost the Y/Play in 3 of our wins against big teams. That's not a sustainable way to win games. 

Our running game is as good as last year, but we've gone from a top 10 team in terms of Y/Play to 22nd in the league, and more worryingly below league average. 

Here's the TLDR for you:

Y/Play is important (according to Reich)

Our rushing attack is as good as last year

Our passing attack so far this season has pushed our Y/P way down

Most of your passing Y/A is pushed up by chunk plays, we have few

Reich says you need to win the Y/P in a game to stand a good chance of winning

We're winning games despite not winning the Y/P, it's not long term sustainable. 

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

If you read the other post where I went into this...

We've lost the Y/Play in 3 of our wins against big teams. That's not a sustainable way to win games. 

Our running game is as good as last year, but we've gone from a top 10 team in terms of Y/Play to 22nd in the league, and more worryingly below league average. 

Here's the TLDR for you:

Y/Play is important (according to Reich)

Our rushing attack is as good as last year

Our passing attack so far this season has pushed our Y/P way down

Most of your passing Y/A is pushed up by chunk plays, we have few

Reich says you need to win the Y/P in a game to stand a good chance of winning

We're winning games despite not winning the Y/P, it's not long term sustainable. 

I agree with that. I didn’t see that post. It still doesn’t change my mind people are being way to impatient.

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It's an average. And no, not everyone is around Brissett. If you want to look at it in tiers, that's fine, but let's not act that's it's meaningless. Looking at it vs the opposing QB dilutes the meaning as it factors in how well the Colts' D plays. It's like saying that Ws and Ls are the only thing that matters when judging QB play. 

If you want to look at it per game, we lost the AVG battle vs LAC, TN, ATL, OAK, KC, and HOU....

That's every game besides the Broncos..... What's your thoughts/spin on that?

All I care about is wins. If his play starts costing us games then that’s a different story.  It’s no wonder they say You don’t want to be the QB that follows a elite guy. Luck got lucky this didn’t happen to him.

After manning and Luck I think people are having a hard time adjusting to the different style of football we are playing now.we don’t know I’d it is sustainable because the season isn’t over yet. We don’t know the improvement the offense will make because the season isn’t over yet. Like I said I think we will see improvement but if we make the playoffs and he stays as our QB next year. That is when we will see the biggest leap. 

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

When your talking 8 games and so many throws  and it’s a average yes it’s a tiny difference.

When it's so many throws it makes MORE of a difference. QBs are already nudging 300 attempts at the halfway mark, so while only a yard that's 300 yard difference in total volume you're talking or to put it another way it would be an 18.9% improvement for Brissett. That's not chicken feed. 

That's before you get into the further nuance of there's certain lines in the sand that are important for Y/A and Y/C. As a poor example, logic would say anything under 3.33 YPC is truly terrible, I mean to the point it's a massive detriment to your team. I mean there's a reason that anything under 6 Yards per attempt is referred to as the "Gabbert Zone" by some lmao

And this is just Y/A, ANY/A is much more fun to look at. I think you'd like that metric better...

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

All I care about is wins. If his play starts costing us games then that’s a different story.  It’s no wonder they say You don’t want to be the QB that follows a elite guy. Luck got lucky this didn’t happen to him.

After manning and Luck I think people are having a hard time adjusting to the different style of football we are playing now.we don’t know I’d it is sustainable because the season isn’t over yet. We don’t know the improvement the offense will make because the season isn’t over yet. Like I said I think we will see improvement but if we make the playoffs and he stays as our QB next year. That is when we will see the biggest leap. 

I mean, he did follow Peyton freaking Manning...

44 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Game by game, you need to look at other players and how well they played. If he didnt get help then yeah I can see why his game wasnt great. Vs Denver the oline had its worst game of the season hands down yet, no one wants to talk about that. Brissett has been just as consistent as this offensive line if not more so. 

If Andrew had 15 TDs to 3 INTs we would all been throwing parades downtown for the man. 

That and questioning if his shoulder was bust again as he's not been throwing the deep ball :D

34 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

You clearly don't understand the stat if you think that's a tiny difference. Let's talk RBs for instance.... 0.5 yard per carry isn't huge according to the above. 

But multiply that over a the expected number of attempts for a RB and it soon adds up to serious volume. 

Understand your frustration SCC. Reminds me of something I remember hearing before:

When you're dead you don't know your dead, it's only difficult for others. It's the same way when your stupid!

You can talk till your blue in the face and some people don't understand or refuse to understand. Hang in there bud!!

3 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I like that we arent constantly looking to throw deep. Its exciting and all. But it doesn't win you games. 

Yes and no. 

Yes if you’re constantly trying to do it (unless you’re very very good), it probably won’t end well. But you do need to take shots when they’re on offer. Chunk plays are real game changers. The chance of tacky DPI has made them more attractive too. 

The threat of the deep ball is also important too. Remember when we beat Denver in the play offs? We completely said to them “beat us over the top” knowing that they couldn’t. 

Archived