Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

WarGhost21

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Not sure about the spark and flare. I will say this most of our mental mistakes happened after he left the game. You could say the team kind of lost their way without their leader. I still say we win this game if he doesn’t get injured. That INT never happens if he is in there so we win the game. Sirriani also mentioned today how the TE, RB, and WR didn’t pass block well. Although Kelly was out JB is responsible for getting them in the right protections. You have to wonder if he had played the entire game if pass protection is better.

Good lord... JB likely doesn't throw 3 TDs either. He even said himself Hoyer hit passes he would not have made. JB leaving didn't make AV miss a FG and XP which is the primary reason we lost. The errors on the OL if contributed to anything, would be because we lost our OL signal caller (Ryan). 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Good lord... JB likely doesn't throw 3 TDs either. He even said himself Hoyer hit passes he would not have made. JB leaving didn't make AV miss a FG and XP which is the primary reason we lost. The errors on the OL if contributed to anything, would be because we lost our OL signal caller (Ryan). 

What are you talking about. We were getting ready to score when he got hurt. Not to mention if that INT does not happen he may not need three scores. I wasn’t even talking about . Not having your leader who keeps you steady can have a big effect.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Jacoby is responsible for getting guys in the right pass protections. Reich has said that many times. Also he might of escaped some of those huge sacks hoyer took to many it like 3 and 24.

Exactly and I am not sure why some people do not understand that regarding your 1st sentence. It's Football 101. The team looks at Jacoby as a leader as well and trusts him. They had to be a bit rattled wondering if JB was ok. The game is not just about stats, a lot of it is mental.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What are you talking about. We were getting ready to score when he got hurt. Not to mention if that INT does not happen he may not need three scores. 

You made the point about people making mistakes because JB was not there.... I'm saying that's silly given Ryan was out. That's the main point.

To add, JB hasn't fared all the well vs good Ds, especially ones with good DLs. Sacked 4 times last week vs Denver, and Pitt's D is much better in that category (10 more). Perhaps we don't give up a P6, but we also don't likely have more than 1 or 2 passing TDs either.

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You made the point about people making mistakes because JB was not there.... I'm saying that's silly given Ryan was out. That's the main point.

To add, JB hasn't fared all the well vs good Ds, especially ones with good DLs. Sacked 4 times last week vs Denver, and Pitt's D is much better in that category (10 more). Perhaps we don't give up a P6, but we also don't likely have more than 1 or 2 passing TDs either.

He was moving the ball just fine on the drive he got hurt. All I am saying is he is the teams leader. When your leader has to leave it has a effect. Having Kelly out hurt but having Kelly out and your backup was a double whammy.  If JB had been in there with Andrews I don’t think it would of been as bad. He would of been better at getting them in the right protections. Another thing if we go into halftime up 17-3 we are running the ball the second half. We ran it well and the Steelers offense is just bad. They weren’t coming back from that.

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Jacoby is responsible for getting guys in the right pass protections. Reich has said that many times. Also he might of escaped some of those huge sacks hoyer took to many it like 3 and 24.

from this site

We all can see the impact a center has on the field physically, but what we don’t see is the mental and verbal responsibilities they have to identify certain things in the defense and communicate them to their teammates.

“Yeah, Ryan was excellent,” Colts head coach Frank Reich said about Kelly last season when asked about his ability to make calls on the line. “I think he’s been pretty good all year and really his leadership in that area and really in every area as far as the offensive line play has been good. But I think it keeps getting better every week.”

As far as sacks go, they were both sacked 4 times each, and Pitt is a much much better DL than Denver.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am going by what Reich has said this year. Yes the center has a effect but it’s the QB that sees stuff pre snap.

Here's a great article for you to read about how it has worked in the Mudd system (and just about every system). We didn't change when he retired... 

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/02/sports/football/02center.html

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Exactly and I am not sure why some people do not understand that regarding your 1st sentence. It's Football 101. The team looks at Jacoby as a leader as well and trusts him. They had to be a bit rattled wondering if JB was ok. The game is not just about stats, a lot of it is mental.

Well.. when I raised I have concerns about his ability to identify blitzes pre-snap I got very much told that's Kelly's job, so which is it? I think we're not as good at identifying stuff pre-snap this year, but also I think the longer TTT is being see in the effect on the O line. We saw it too with Hoyer in when he was indecisive on a few snaps. 

The best thing about last year was about how quick we were getting the ball out, and I think it made the line look better. 

But yes, losing your starting center and QB mid-game isn't exactly ideal is it. 

8 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Well.. when I raised I have concerns about his ability to identify blitzes pre-snap I got very much told that's Kelly's job, so which is it? I think we're not as good at identifying stuff pre-snap this year, but also I think the longer TTT is being see in the effect on the O line. We saw it too with Hoyer in when he was indecisive on a few snaps. 

The best thing about last year was about how quick we were getting the ball out, and I think it made the line look better. 

But yes, losing your starting center and QB mid-game isn't exactly ideal is it. 

It is often a combination of both and depends on when and even how the D show their scheme/blitz

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Remember when Reich said he wanted to improve YAC. We were bad last year. Look at us now.

This is only good if it's accompanied with high yards per catch or yards per attempt, which we don't have. In essence the reason we have high % of the yards after the catch is because we don't throw intermediate-deep so we get short passes or check down passes and rely on the pass-catchers to create. It results in high YAC% but low yards per attempt and yards per catch, which are much more important measurements of the strength of the offense. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

This is only good if it's accompanied with high yards per catch or yards per attempt, which we don't have. In essence the reason we have high % of the yards after the catch is because we don't throw intermediate-deep so we get short passes or check down passes and rely on the pass-catchers to create. It results in high YAC% but low yards per attempt and yards per catch, which are much more important measurements of the strength of the offense. 

Yeah.. kinda need the surrounding context there. 

I do love it when people present numbers without understanding exactly what they mean, happens a lot at work.. kinda worrying really, 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s good. It doesn’t matter much about the rest of the passing game. The only way it would be bad is if we are like the Steelers and we were only that high because of dump offs to the RB.  Their number there is not good.

Me thinks you talk, a lot, without really thinking about what you’re saying. 

Stitches and SteelCityColt are two of the more(most?) knowledgeable analytic and stat minds on the forum...better pack your lunch if you’re going to try and argue this topic with them....although I’m sure you will just ignore this as you do everyone else you don’t agree with.

6 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Yeah.. kinda need the surrounding context there. 

I do love it when people present numbers without understanding exactly what they mean, happens a lot at work.. kinda worrying really, 

Here's a bit of context. 

JB is bottom 5ish in average CAY (completed air yards) at 4.8 yards.

Others in the top 3 in YAC... Steelers are 2nd worst in CAY, and the Darnold is tied with JB for 5th worst.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s good. It doesn’t matter much about the rest of the passing game. The only way it would be bad is if we are like the Steelers and we were only that high because of dump offs to the RB.  Their number there is not good.

We are very much like the Steelers. The Steelers are bottom 5 in average completed air yards just like us. 

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Just to make sure I fully understand you. It doesn’t matter about the rest of the passing game because our YAC percentage of total passing volume is (relatively) high?? 

14 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Me thinks you talk, a lot, without really thinking about what you’re saying. 

Stitches and SteelCityColt are two of the more(most?) knowledgeable analytic and stat minds on the forum...better pack your lunch if you’re going to try and argue this topic with them....although I’m sure you will just ignore this as you do everyone else you don’t agree with.

You're too kind, but yeah a lot of work I do professionally is based around data and analysis so it's just the way my brain works,

Correct too that the new way to handle challenges to your argument is to just ignore them. :thmup:

On 11/5/2019 at 10:50 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I am going by what Reich has said this year. Yes the center has a effect but it’s the QB that sees stuff pre snap.

Then is JB responsible for the debacle of missed assignments in protection in the Denver game?

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Friendly Reminder from TigerTown   

The only stat that matters is the record

anyone can manipulate stats to prove their point

I have been saying that all year. If we win this week we are 6-3. Teams in NFL history that have a 6-3 record make the playoffs 70% of the time. I like those odds.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think he is and I praise JB a lot, JB didn't play well in that game. Denver had him fooled most of the day. We got lucky to win that game. Denver played a perfect game on defense IMO. 

The Denver D is the only thing saving the Broncos

BTW

Another swing and a miss for JE

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have been saying that all year. If we win this week we are 6-3. Teams in NFL history that have a 6-3 record make the playoffs 70% of the time. I like those odds.

Even though I am a stat and record guy(I charted positive/negative plays on offense during my coaching career and have detailed basketball/football records for the 6 former and 1 current NGSC schools) I still use the eye test to determine things

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Even though I am a stat and record guy(I charted positive play on offense during my coaching career and have detailed basketball/football records for the 6 former and 1 current NGSC schools) I still use the eye test to determine things

I do as well. I love stats as it shows a lot/analytics but things like eye test, leadership of a player, how clutch a player is huge too. I just think JB is a leader so I like him, I also like him because he rarely makes BIG mistakes. He has made one BIG one against Oakland but one in 8 games, I will take that.

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think he is and I praise JB a lot, JB didn't play well in that game. Denver had him fooled most of the day. We got lucky to win that game. Denver played a perfect game on defense IMO. 

I'm no so sure that the QBs have as much to do with protection calls as your emails seem to suggest.

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I do as well. I love stats as it shows a lot/analytics but things like eye test, leadership of a player, how clutch a player is huge too. I just think JB is a leader so I like him, I also like him because he rarely makes BIG mistakes. He has made one BIG one against Oakland but one in 8 games, I will take that.

JB threw the same type of interception v KC but there was no return.  He has had a couple of terrible fumbles. 

The 93 yd return was kind of flukey.  No one around after Doyle fell down.  

Not the type of play that normally goes for a pick 6.  More outcome bias.  

Just really a * poor run of the the mill INT from Hoyer.  His fumble was inconsequential.  It was 4th down and made zero difference.  JB averages a turnover a game.  

Here's my hot take. JB is a lower tier QB with a few quality traits that do translate well (takes care of the ball, leadership, toughness), but his big issue is he doesn't see the field particularly well and he doesn't throw the ball particularly well (fastball high, knuckle ball low). If the Colts want to win a Super Bowl in this phase, they're likely going to need an upgrade and I don't really have a clue how that's going to happen. He might be the guy for sometime just because it's easy to get the position so wrong that everyone get's fired. 

I am listening to this podcast. He had a interview with Eric Ebron. There is a little tidbit in here that makes you think. He mentioned to Eric how JB had all the training camp reps and how he came in ready to start. Eric goes oh no he was just playing catch with his homies. So his theory is JB didn’t come into the season as prepared as he could of been if he was the starter. He also thinks that might be why your seeing him so cautious.  He believes he will open up eventually. Anyway you can read into it what you want. It is a interesting  theory. Jacoby was just filling in at camp until Luck came back. He really couldn’t take the reins like if he had been the starter. He talks about the interview at about the 55 min mark.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/stampede-blue-for-indianapolis-colts-fans/id1260116854#episodeGuid=a347b352-05a0-11ea-92e2-73765ab5129d

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001076440/article/brissett-reich-sat-me-to-protect-myself-from-myself

"I felt like I was getting better each day," Brissett said Tuesday, via the Indy Star. "It was a coach's decision. He made the decision that he thought was best for myself and for the team. It's his job, I guess, to protect myself from myself."

Archived