Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

WarGhost21

I expected him to be mediocre. By the end of the season, it was much worse. A great QB can make throws into tight windows.  A mediocre (game-manager) QB should at least make throws to WRs that are open. Jacoby was completely missing the fact the WRs were open, and repeatedly would miss them even if he did recognize it. You could pick almost any starting QB in the league and they probably would have done better than he did in the final games.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Before or after they knew Andrew was retiring? 

Thinking Think GIF by Adam Lambert

Seemed like they did all offseason...but I am too lazy to track down quotes. I am not a conspiracy theorist...but I think they had an inkling significantly longer than they will ever admit. 

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Seemed like they did all offseason...but I am too lazy to track down quotes. I am not a conspiracy theorist...but I think they had an inkling significantly longer than they will ever admit. 

I have often wondered when exactly there was discussion in reference to Luck retiring. 

And if that’s when the Jacoby chatter started about not trading him, etc, etc. began from the FO.

Kinda surprised nobody ever mentioned this. 

56 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I think the part that is most confusing to me is why did any of you think he was going to be any good?  What evidence was there to back that up other then the Colts calling him a franchise QB?

That's about it.  As I said at the time, I certainly don't see it.

I believe both Ballard and Reich probably liked the challenge.  They liked the idea of winning with a lesser QB, if they could pull off - winning with scheme, running the ball and defense. 

Good luck with that long term.  You win in the trenches?  Well, we have one of the best O-lines in the league, but one of the most pathetic offenses.

16 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I have often wondered when exactly there was discussion in reference to Luck retiring. 

And if that’s when the Jacoby chatter started about not trading him, etc, etc. began from the FO.

Kinda surprised nobody ever mentioned this. 

I've wondered the same lately.

Makes you wonder if he didn't even want to come back after injury, but was talked into it and he did it for one year and couldn't be talked into it anymore.

I don't fault then for talking up JB though. It's company talk. 

25 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Before or after they knew Andrew was retiring? 

Thinking Think GIF by Adam Lambert

Well before.  Ballard was quoted as saying JB was a top 20 QB in the league as a back up.  He also said he wouldn't send him just anywhere and felt he delivered great value as a back up QB.  So they've always like Jacoby, rightfully so, good guy, great back up, not a starter.  I've said that from day one, this is not news.

7 minutes ago, #12. said:

That's about it.  As I said at the time, I certainly don't see it.

I believe both Ballard and Reich probably liked the challenge.  They liked the idea of winning with a lesser QB, if they could pull off - winning with scheme, running the ball and defense. 

Good luck with that long term.  You win in the trenches?  Well, we have one of the best O-lines in the league, but one of the most pathetic offenses.

Anyone with a coaches eye could see JB's shortcomings, as a Coach and GM you have to go forward with full conviction with the team you have.  Nobody 'liked' Andrew retiring, nor relished the challenge, you have to make due with what you have in the room, quitting isn't an option, so yes you embrace the challenge because there's not an option B.  This team is a Super Bowl contender with Luck, he covers up a ton of problems, without Luck, we're talking draft in January.  Job 1 for every NFL team is acquiring a franchise QB, not sure I see that guy in the draft this year outside of the first pick, so prepare for Brissett 2.0 next year.  My hope is that Kelly gets to compete for the spot and both QB's grown and improve in 2020.

1 hour ago, lennymoore24 said:

I know the Brissett piling on has been non-stop.  And I think it is deserved.  I think the part that is most confusing to me is why did any of you think he was going to be any good?  What evidence was there to back that up other then the Colts calling him a franchise QB?

So let's back up. Brissett was a 3rd round pick of the Patriots.  It happens, but rarely do 3rd round or lower QBs become franchise QBs.  There is always a Russell Wilson, Joe Montana, or Tom Brady who breaks the rule, but that is rare.

So he gets traded to the Colts, starts in 2017, wins 4 games, and shows an alarming tendency to hold the ball too long, checkdown, lock onto a receiver, and being incredibly inaccurate over 10 yards.  The year before and after, when Luck played, he had many of the same parts and had much more success.

So 2018, he sits on the bench and watches Luck slowly get stronger and Luck throws 39 TDs.

So what lead anyone to believe he would be anything more than a placeholder?  Because Irsay, Ballard, Reich, and even Luck praised him?  Were they supposed to put him down knowing they had no other options?

So they start out 5-2 and Brissett was being praised and some on here talked about him being a MVP candidate.  lol That was funny!  The success came from a solid running attack and teams unprepared for Brissett.  But he was the same player.  Held the ball too long, checkdowns, inaccurate, and poor decisions.  But he had to do it far less.  Once teams got some film on him and realized all you had to do was force him to beat you downfield, there was little he could offer.

He is who he is.  He seems like a great guy who processes things slowly and doesn't like to take chances.  He was a 3rd round pick who was traded!  We don't expect our 3rd round picks to be franchise players.  Heck, even QBs traded in mid to late first round aren't expected to be franchise QBs.

Here is something to think about.  Luck played last year with many of the people Brissett played with this year.  Yet, there were more sacks, much less scoring, fewer explosive plays, and our defense wore down more.  This main culprit is Brissetts inability to be more than a placeholder QB.  I guarantee had a healthy Luck played this year, we would not be talking about the defense taking steps back or the OLine giving up more sacks.  Poor offense leads to poor defense.

So, I go back to the original question.  What evidence was there that Brissett would be anything more than what he has shown?  How are you surprised?  Why would you think he would get better? Wake up!  He is NOT VERY GOOD AND NEVER WAS!

What you say is very true, but man...... , I had hope. 

The fact is Jacoby had a bad coach and team in 2017. It was his first year starting.  There was no way to know what would happen this year with a better team and better coaches. I feel for him in a way. First year he is traded and has to start right away. Then the third year they go here are the keys two weeks before the season. Then his entire receiving group goes on IR or misses a ton of games.  Plus three years with three different head coaches and coordinators.

Yes I want to draft a QB. But I am also very interested if he starts next year to see if he can actually improve. He knows there will be competition and needs to improve if we draft a guy. He will also want a starting job on another team if we draft someone. He has all the incentive to work his butt off.

3 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

What evidence was there that Brissett would be anything more than what he has shown?  How are you surprised?  Why would you think he would get better?

Taking away all of the Colts endorsements, there was support from Charlie Weiss and Bill Parcell's that he could possibly become a franchise TD. They both already knew he had leadership qualities, but could he improve at the NFL level. That has not shown to be true, but the Colts  already had him so gave him a shot on short notice. Not much other choice was available.

8 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

I know the Brissett piling on has been non-stop.  And I think it is deserved.  I think the part that is most confusing to me is why did any of you think he was going to be any good?  What evidence was there to back that up other then the Colts calling him a franchise QB?

So let's back up. Brissett was a 3rd round pick of the Patriots.  It happens, but rarely do 3rd round or lower QBs become franchise QBs.  There is always a Russell Wilson, Joe Montana, or Tom Brady who breaks the rule, but that is rare.

So he gets traded to the Colts, starts in 2017, wins 4 games, and shows an alarming tendency to hold the ball too long, checkdown, lock onto a receiver, and being incredibly inaccurate over 10 yards.  The year before and after, when Luck played, he had many of the same parts and had much more success.

So 2018, he sits on the bench and watches Luck slowly get stronger and Luck throws 39 TDs.

So what lead anyone to believe he would be anything more than a placeholder?  Because Irsay, Ballard, Reich, and even Luck praised him?  Were they supposed to put him down knowing they had no other options?

So they start out 5-2 and Brissett was being praised and some on here talked about him being a MVP candidate.  lol That was funny!  The success came from a solid running attack and teams unprepared for Brissett.  But he was the same player.  Held the ball too long, checkdowns, inaccurate, and poor decisions.  But he had to do it far less.  Once teams got some film on him and realized all you had to do was force him to beat you downfield, there was little he could offer.

He is who he is.  He seems like a great guy who processes things slowly and doesn't like to take chances.  He was a 3rd round pick who was traded!  We don't expect our 3rd round picks to be franchise players.  Heck, even QBs traded in mid to late first round aren't expected to be franchise QBs.

Here is something to think about.  Luck played last year with many of the people Brissett played with this year.  Yet, there were more sacks, much less scoring, fewer explosive plays, and our defense wore down more.  This main culprit is Brissetts inability to be more than a placeholder QB.  I guarantee had a healthy Luck played this year, we would not be talking about the defense taking steps back or the OLine giving up more sacks.  Poor offense leads to poor defense.

So, I go back to the original question.  What evidence was there that Brissett would be anything more than what he has shown?  How are you surprised?  Why would you think he would get better? Wake up!  He is NOT VERY GOOD AND NEVER WAS!

Wow,  but this is an awful post.    Just terrible.    It actually could be re-named "I'm so smart, and you're all so stupid!"     Smugness is a bad look here and you pretty much maxed out.   The irony being the premise of your post is false.   As in wrong.   

You wasted everyone's time right off the top.   When you claimed the Colts called him their Franchise Quarterback.    False!    Never did.    It did NOT happen.   And here's the proof.   If they had thought of Brissett as a franchise quarterback,  they would've signed him to a 5 or 6 year deal,  the way most franchise QB's get.    They didn't do that.   They signed him for two and stated at the time, he'd have to prove himself to become a franchise QB and get a bigger deal.   Two years.     Sorry,  but your argument collapses right here.   Near the very top.   

But since you think all the piling on is appropriate (I can't publicly say what I'd like to say in response to that view,  but it ends in .... YOU!!)   

People here thought we'd be pretty good because the GM, Chris Ballard thought we'd be pretty good.    And we were.   5-2 at 7 games in.   Brissett was nearly at 65 percent completion and a TD-Int ratio of 14-3.   Do you know how few QB's do a ratio of 14-3?    Few.   Very few.    Brissett didn't play nearly as well from there,  but it's not like he was the only one.   Look at the injuries.    Look at the receiving core.   Look at the defense down the stretch.    Look at the special teams.    Look at the kicking game.    As Ballard himself noted,  a few made kicks, and a few made plays and this team would be 10-6 and in the playoffs.    But you keep laughing at everyone else and proclaiming that you knew better.    Good for you!

They never called JB a franchise QB or a placeholder....   but they said they were giving him a shot and that he had the backing of the owner, GM and HC.    That's what well run franchises do.    Did you happen to notice how we didn't play the sainted Çhad Kelly?    Good franchises don't listen to the fan base.    They do what they think is right.   They played JB until the end.   They gave him a shot.   And they will likely do that again.   Right now, he's the 2020 starter.   Anyone we draft will likely need a red-shirt year.   So unless we trade for someone of a much higher caliber,  you can look for JB to start the 2020 season as the starter.   

The only person who needs to WAKE-UP!    Is you.   From your dream that you know so much more than anyone else.     In this community?    You're dreaming.   Get over yourself.   You got the premise of your own thread flatout wrong!     Congratulations!   

9 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Oh goody! Another thread to vent anger about the QB. 

Good thing, cuz it was getting a little lean......

....and we can wrap the thread in a "why were you surprised" package....that literally no one was.

Enough already?

I know, even the people that supported JB in here never said he was a franchise QB. Where some in here are getting that I have no idea. Just because someone says he doesn't suck doesn't mean they think the guy is good either. I said he was above average through/after week 7 and he was, we were 5-2 and he had a 14 to 3 TD/INT ratio. He got injured, came back and had a few stinkers. I never even once put him in the good category. I always stuck to my average to above average saying all season. I thought he played great in the 1st Houston game so he showed signs of being the guy but he never did it consistently.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wow,  but this is an awful post.    Just terrible.    It actually could be re-named "I'm so smart, and you're all so stupid!"     Smugness is a bad look here and you pretty much maxed out.   The irony being the premise of your post is false.   As in wrong.   

You wasted everyone's time right off the top.   When you claimed the Colts called him their Franchise Quarterback.    False!    Never did.    It did NOT happen.   And here's the proof.   If they had thought of Brissett as a franchise quarterback,  they would've signed him to a 5 or 6 year deal,  the way most franchise QB's get.    They didn't do that.   They signed him for two and stated at the time, he'd have to prove himself to become a franchise QB and get a bigger deal.   Two years.     Sorry,  but your argument collapses right here.   Near the very top.   

But since you think all the piling on is appropriate (I can't publicly say what I'd like to say in response to that view,  but it ends in .... YOU!!)   

People here thought we'd be pretty good because the GM, Chris Ballard thought we'd be pretty good.    And we were.   5-2 at 7 games in.   Brissett was nearly at 65 percent completion and a TD-Int ratio of 14-3.   Do you know how few QB's do a ratio of 14-3?    Few.   Very few.    Brissett didn't play nearly as well from there,  but it's not like he was the only one.   Look at the injuries.    Look at the receiving core.   Look at the defense down the stretch.    Look at the special teams.    Look at the kicking game.    As Ballard himself noted,  a few made kicks, and a few made plays and this team would be 10-6 and in the playoffs.    But you keep laughing at everyone else and proclaiming that you knew better.    Good for you!

They never called JB a franchise QB or a placeholder....   but they said they were giving him a shot and that he had the backing of the owner, GM and HC.    That's what well run franchises do.    Did you happen to notice how we didn't play the sainted Çhad Kelly?    Good franchises don't listen to the fan base.    They do what they think is right.   They played JB until the end.   They gave him a shot.   And they will likely do that again.   Right now, he's the 2020 starter.   Anyone we draft will likely need a red-shirt year.   So unless we trade for someone of a much higher caliber,  you can look for JB to start the 2020 season as the starter.   

The only person who needs to WAKE-UP!    Is you.   From your dream that you know so much more than anyone else.     In this community?    You're dreaming.   Get over yourself.   You got the premise of your own thread flatout wrong!     Congratulations!   

Winston Churchill Quote: “You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.” 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wow......

You must be having a bad night NCF

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know, even the people that supported JB in here never said he was a franchise QB. Where some in here are getting that I have no idea. Just because someone says he doesn't suck doesn't mean they think the guy is good either. I said he was above average through/after week 7 and he was, we were 5-2 and he had a 14 to 3 TD/INT ratio. He got injured, came back and had a few stinkers. I never even once put him in the good category. I always stuck to my average to above average saying all season. I thought he played great in the 1st Houston game so he showed signs of being the guy but he never did it consistently.

Maybe we were waiting to see if he was Reich's top 20 "Franchise" QB.
 How does Frank feel about hanging his head coaching career on that thought now? 

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Winston Churchill Quote: “You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.” 

If this were just a random post inside a long thread, that would be one thing.

But, to use your metaphor,  this dog barked up a new thread to pronounce how smart he was and how dumb everyone else is.   And he did it wrongly.    That’s as bad as it gets for a sports fans message board. 

2 hours ago, waittilnextyear said:

Maybe we were waiting to see if he was Reich's top 20 "Franchise" QB.
 How does Frank feel about hanging his head coaching career on that thought now? 

Who says Reich is “hanging his career” on anything?   Let’s not forget Ballard and Irsay love JB too.    All were talking about us one more season for JB to show improvement.   If he doesn’t, he’ll be gone and a new QB will take his place.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure why you write “wow”.....

Unless you agree with the post.   And then I’m writing “wow!”

LOL... 

You just seemed REALLY mad when you wrote the post

People are going to post STUPID stuff, and have wrong opinions (I have had a few of my own :) )

I tend to go at people that come hard at me...... but a general stupid post doesn't lite my fire

I always fear that I am going head to head with a 12 year old kid that doesn know any better.........

Just a thought..... 

13 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

LOL... 

You just seemed REALLY mad when you wrote the post

People are going to post STUPID stuff, and have wrong opinions (I have had a few of my own :) )

I tend to go at people that come hard at me...... but a general stupid post doesn't lite my fire

I always fear that I am going head to head with a 12 year old kid that doesn know any better.........

Just a thought..... 

I don’t like when someone spits in my face and is wrong to do so.    Thus poster is a longtime poster who has a picture of his own child as his avatar.   He’s not a kid.   We have some kids who post here and I’m typically much kinder to them.   As a former professional writer, I can typically spot a kid.  

As for being wrong...   I’m wrong plenty.   And I try to own it.   I think we’re all wrong from time to time.   I don’t care about wrong and I don’t care about people disagreeing with me.   I care about honest.   I care about factual.   I care about being reasonable and fair.   I don’t think the OP of the thread was any of those.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t like when someone spits in my face and is wrong to do so.    Thus poster is a longtime poster who has a picture of his own child as his avatar.   He’s not a kid.   We have some kids who post here and I’m typically much kinder to them.   As a former professional writer, I can typically spot a kid.  

As for being wrong...   I’m wrong plenty.   And I try to own it.   I think we’re all wrong from time to time.   I don’t care about wrong and I don’t care about people disagreeing with me.   I care about honest.   I care about factual.   I care about being reasonable and fair.   I don’t think the OP of the thread was any of those.  

Maybe there was more dialog that I didnt see.

Either way.... just a thought.....

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You and I are here a lot, more than many so we mostly know who just posts in here to bash a player or the team. I have called out a few people too and some who I have thought have posted under other names even. Let me just say this, you were right on how you responded, JMO. 

People talk about wanting to see if he improves, but honestly I think it’d be hard for him not to considering how poorly he ended the year. I don’t think it’ll be leaps and bounds, but I do think we’ll see incremental improvement (and I do think he’s the starter next season).

Thing is, I just don’t think we’ll see enough improvement in certain areas to ever be comfortable with him long term. I don’t need to go into those areas which have been discussed many times. But, one thing I don’t think is talked about enough, that I don’t think he will improve on, is his slow/wind up/exaggerated release. I really took notice of that the last few weeks, presumably as his mechanics broke down more and more each week. And sure, working with House could help, but I just doubt it’ll be enough, it’s hard to change up the motion that dramatically.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I guarantee that's not a picture of his kid.

I also get the impression I've missed a merge here as it seems like most were venting against another Brissett topic (fair IMO), but your response was a bit OTT IMO. 

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I guarantee that's not a picture of his kid.

I also get the impression I've missed a merge here as it seems like most were venting against another Brissett topic (fair IMO), but your response was a bit OTT IMO. 

It was merged and that is a pic of an actor actually :thmup: but the poster that posted that post bashes JB constantly and NCF knows that. It just gets old after a while when someone says JB deserves it.

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It was merged and that is a pic of an actor actually :thmup: but the poster that posted that post bashes JB constantly and NCF knows that. It just gets old after a while when someone says JB deserves it.

It's the picture of the kid Junior on problem child. Loved that movie!

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

LOVE YOU? :heart:

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Did you happen to notice how we didn't play the sainted Çhad Kelly?

Whats with the Cedilla (ç)? Is he French? Latin? lol

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I thought your retort was a retort from a very angry person. I don't think your response was reasonable and fair and I do think your response was mean.

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ok...   I’m clueless about the avatar....  my bad.

And once upon a time, a long, long time ago...   my memory was quite good.   But I’m pushing 63 and it’s not  nearly as sharp as it once was.   I didn’t know the poster was a regular basher  of JB’s.   I’m not able to keep track of most posters that way.   But, yes, I was set off by the “and he deserved it” crack about piling on.

Look...  Ballard puts a high premium on character.   These are good guys.   If you met most any Colt you’d like them. You’d want to be friends with them.  It wasn’t always that way.   We’ve had a few stinkers...   LeRon Landry, anyone? Yuk.   So I’m not comfortable bashing our own.   If they’re not good, then they’re not good.  I hope they improve or I hope they’re replaced.   But I don’t like cracks like “He sucks “,  Or “good riddance.”   I’m not a Boy Scout, but I don’t like bashing our own when they’re trying. 

Sorry for the rant....   new year...   new beginnings....  be better...   do better...  life can be short and often unfair.  

5 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I thought your retort was a retort from a very angry person. I don't think your response was reasonable and fair and I do think your response was mean.

Like I said....   when someone spits in my face and was wrong to do so.....

2 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

You have to take into affect the person that NCF responded too has just bashed JB over and over again. That was actually a new thread he started before it got merged as well. Crap just gets old to some of us. Why even start a new thread at this point bashing JB when the season is over? An opinion is an opinion but a Troll is a Troll at a point. How would people like it if I came on here everyday and created a new thread saying JB is the man you guys are full of it. Same difference. I don't think he is the man but you get my drift.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok...   I’m clueless about the avatar....  my bad.

And once upon a time, a long, long time ago...   my memory was quite good.   But I’m pushing 63 and it’s not  nearly as sharp as it once was.   I didn’t know the poster was a regular basher  of JB’s.   I’m not able to keep track of most posters that way.   But, yes, I was set off by the “and he deserved it” crack about piling on.

Look...  Ballard puts a high premium on character.   These are good guys.   If you met most any Colt you’d like them. You’d want to be friends with them.  It wasn’t always that way.   We’ve had a few stinkers...   LeRon Landry, anyone? Yuk.   So I’m not comfortable bashing our own.   If they’re not good, then they’re not good.  I hope they improve or I hope they’re replaced.   But I don’t like cracks like “He sucks “,  Or “good riddance.”   I’m not a Boy Scout, but I don’t like bashing our own when they’re trying. 

Sorry for the rant....   new year...   new beginnings....  be better...   do better...  life can be short and often unfair.  

Like I said....   when someone spits in my face and was wrong to do so.....

Yeah the way he worded it bothered me as well. The deserves it part got me too. That is why I had no problem with your response. I think most people know we need another QB at this point so why create another thread at this point to bash JB? 

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You have to take into affect the person that NCF responded too has just bashed JB over and over again. That was actually a new thread he started before it got merged as well. Crap just gets old to some of us. Why even start a new thread at this point bashing JB when the season is over? An opinion is an opinion but a Troll is a Troll at a point. How would people like it if I came on here everyday and created a new thread saying JB is the man you guys are full of it. Same difference. I don't think he is the man but you get my drift.

I may add that this is not the first mean retort from NCF. You can respond to a to a post without being so condescending. I have seen you disagree with a post but never with a mean and condescending reply. Its not in your nature.

Archived