Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

unless ballard spends some cap to hire a proven talent at qb this is what we are going to see, a draft pick starting would mean more wasted seasons while we wait to see if he can develop

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep...he creates posts daily that discuss the QB position. Even the thread about wanting to draft a certain QB tie back to the idea of giving JB more time.

Okay So as I watch the Niners game I am noticing that Jimmy G is operating the game in a way thenReich and the Colts want JB to. I have the a huge take...   Jimmy G is no better than JB

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Pat Mahomes had more touchdowns in 2 hours than Brissett has since October 21st 

I gave you a "laugh" because there wasn't a cry button.

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

unless ballard spends some cap to hire a proven talent at qb this is what we are going to see, a draft pick starting would mean more wasted seasons while we wait to see if he can develop

we will have to do it at some point,  might as well do it now.  there are good qbs in the draft.  sticking with what we have is wasting seasons too

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Sad but true. More reason to lobby for a QB.

easier said than done, every team wants an elite qb, a small percent of rookie draft picks become elite, hope we can land a proven vet, a lot of new draft picks turn out to be ryan leafs, great in college but below average in the nfl

• Like 1

I have to disagree with Pat on this. There has to be an open competition for qb next season and who ever is in the mix beats Brissett. You can't hand the starting job to a guy who averaged 150 yards a game over his last 8 starts. Truth is it won't be very difficult to upgrade the qb position next season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Think we all seen enough of him at QB to understand he’s backup material can he improve? Sure do we expect him to improve? Not really

I totally changed my view of this through the season.   I was on his side to start the season.   I thought he would certainly improve because he took all the 1st team snaps during training camp and preseason.  Then as the season went on, he had the same flaws as he did coming out of college and in 2017.   I'll root for him if he plays, but I hope he doesn't.

• Like 3
On 1/13/2020 at 5:04 PM, runthepost said:

Pat Mahomes had more touchdowns in 2 hours than Brissett has since October 21st 

On 1/14/2020 at 8:18 AM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

id say he is pretty clued in when it comes to the Colts. These are his thoughts. 

Not saying anything about JB either way. But this is interesting from our AFC South rival-

Ryan Tannehill last 3 weeks (Vs. Texans, Vs. Pats, Vs. Ravens)

Cmp         Att      cmp %    Yds    TD's    Int      Rating        Y/A        AY/A
13              20      65.00      198       2         0         130.8        9.90         11.90    
8                15        53.33        72       1          1           61.0        4.80          3.13    
7                14        50.00        88       2          0          109.5       6.29          9.14

All 3 wins. He does have 5 TD's to 1 Int though...

So it will now be least QB vs. Most (VP) QB to go to the Super Bowl.

7 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Not saying anything about JB either way. But this is interesting from our AFC South rival-

Cmp         Att      cmp %    Yds    TD's    Int      Rating        Y/A        AY/A
13              20      65.00      198       2         0         130.8        9.90         11.90    
8                5        53.33        72       1          1           61.0        4.80          3.13    
7              14        50.00        88       2          0          109.5       6.29          9.14

Until someone stops Derrick Henry and forces Tannehill to throw more than 20 times, they will keep running it 40 times. Henry came back from the hamstring injury in week 17 (game 16) vs Texans and has been on a tear since then, so has their OL w.r.t run blocking. The problem is that teams know it is coming and still cannot stop it. With the Colts, when teams have ganged up on the run, they have been able to stop it.

The Titans' defense however has been playing real well thus keeping them ahead on the scoreboard thus allowing the run to be a huge factor. The Colts' D on the other hand is only capable so much, IMO, and the Titans defensive talent is better than ours, IMO.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

8                5        53.33        72       1          1           61.0        4.80          3.13    
7              14        50.00        88       2          0          109.5       6.29          9.14

Did I miss something? This says 8 completions out of 5 attempts?

I mean I know Mahomes lit the world on fire the other day, but I had no idea Tannehill was breaking the laws of physics... =)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
14 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

Did I miss something? This says 8 completions out of 5 attempts?

Fixed  (15)  :thmup:

14 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

I mean I know Mahomes lit the world on fire the other day, but I had no idea Tannehill was breaking the laws of physics... =)

That's how they win games in a passing era without passing much. :td:

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

8                15        53.33        72       1          1           61.0        4.80          3.13    
7                14        50.00        88       2          0          109.5       6.29          9.14

If your team is playing so well as a whole that you can win playoff games on the road with your QB throwing 15 passes, then the QB becomes an auxiliary factor. That's a major outlier. (Not to mention the fact that no RB has ever had back to back games in the playoffs like Derrick Henry just had, so let's not make the mistake of thinking you can rely on this type of performance on the ground.) Usually, to win playoff games, you need the QB to make plays.

Also, Tannehill was the league's most efficient passer in the second half of the season. He was 70% completions, 120 passer rating, 17 TDs and 4 picks, adjusted yards/attempt over 10, and he was good in the 4th quarter all season long. The Titans are playing ground-and-pound football because it's working, not because they don't have a QB who can make plays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 1/13/2020 at 9:05 AM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I guess the part that puzzles me is why can’t we think that JB could actually improve. He knows he is the starter going into next year, right now. He also knows he did not do well and needs to improve. Why can’t we believe that he will put in the work to improve next year. We also know that the colts will draft a QB in the draft, where in the draft is the question. So combine the following for motivation, that draft QB, JB failures this year, and his contract year, could push him to have a great season. 

remember it is sports. Anything can happen. 
Ryan Tannehill- Titans

Russell Wilson- Seahawks

Kurt Warner- Rams

Trent Dilfer- Ravens

Brad Johnson- Bucs

The bolded isn't a great team building philosophy. 

It's not unreasonable to suggest that JB can get better. But that's not what the team should rest their hopes on, at least not entirely.

When the DL gets worked over, we acknowledge it and ask for better players on the DL, same at other positions. This doesn't mean that the young players at those positions can't get better, but there are multiple factors to team building. One is the improvement of young players, another is acquiring better players. When you have a player who is struggling due to obvious limitations, it doesn't make sense to hide behind "hey, he could get better, right?" Especially at the most important position in team sports. What if JB is like 98% of 27 year old NFL QBs who don't suddenly become quicker, more accurate, better playmakers and better decision makers?

There's a lot of extremism on this topic. I don't think JB is trash who should be cut; I think that's nonsense. But I think that he's pretty far away from being a franchise level QB, and it would be a mistake for the Colts to expect him to make a gigantic leap from what he is now to what we need him to be. 

I don't really care what Pat McAfee or other talking heads have to say about this. I've watched every snap of JB's pro career. I've watched the All 22 from the 2019 season. I've studied the numbers. I know what JB's strengths and deficiencies are, and I know how they were affected by his supporting cast. I know how rare it is for a QB with his profile to become a playmaking, franchise QB. I know what successful teams typically (almost always) need out of the QB position to make the playoffs and win in the playoffs.

End of the day, we need better QBing to be a good team, and it's statistically improbable that we get the kind of QBing we need from JB. I'm all for improving the team around him and working him to help him get better, but there needs to be a plan to transition to a better QB in the near future. It would be professional malpractice for the Colts to count on JB becoming what we need to get to where we want to be.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 1/13/2020 at 3:56 PM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Just wanted to remind everyone that Jacoby has proven he can make the throws. 

I thought he proved he couldn't make the throws this season.
 Long ones, short ones, timing ones, with touch, accuracy issues galore.
  He is what he is. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's not unreasonable to suggest that JB can get better. But that's not what the team should rest their hopes on, at least not entirely.

When the DL gets worked over, we acknowledge it and ask for better players on the DL, same at other positions. This doesn't mean that the young players at those positions can't get better, but there are multiple factors to team building. One is the improvement of young players, another is acquiring better players. When you have a player who is struggling due to obvious limitations, it doesn't make sense to hide behind "hey, he could get better, right?" Especially at the most important position in team sports. What if JB is like 98% of 27 year old NFL QBs who don't suddenly become quicker, more accurate, better playmakers and better decision makers?

There's a lot of extremism on this topic. I don't think JB is trash who should be cut; I think that's nonsense. But I think that he's pretty far away from being a franchise level QB, and it would be a mistake for the Colts to expect him to make a gigantic leap from what he is now to what we need him to be. 

I don't really care what Pat McAfee or other talking heads have to say about this. I've watched every snap of JB's pro career. I've watched the All 22 from the 2019 season. I've studied the numbers. I know what JB's strengths and deficiencies are, and I know how they were affected by his supporting cast. I know how rare it is for a QB with his profile to become a playmaking, franchise QB. I know what successful teams typically (almost always) need out of the QB position to make the playoffs and win in the playoffs.

End of the day, we need better QBing to be a good team, and it's statistically improbable that we get the kind of QBing we need from JB. I'm all for improving the team around him and working him to help him get better, but there needs to be a plan to transition to a better QB in the near future. It would be professional malpractice for the Colts to count on JB becoming what we need to get to where we want to be.

You will have the opportunity to copy and paste this terrific dose of reality many many times between now and draft day. Please, please do. 

Our Colts need a QB with much better throwing ability.

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

If your team is playing so well as a whole that you can win playoff games on the road with your QB throwing 15 passes, then the QB becomes an auxiliary factor. That's a major outlier. (Not to mention the fact that no RB has ever had back to back games in the playoffs like Derrick Henry just had, so let's not make the mistake of thinking you can rely on this type of performance on the ground.) Usually, to win playoff games, you need the QB to make plays.

Also, Tannehill was the league's most efficient passer in the second half of the season. He was 70% completions, 120 passer rating, 17 TDs and 4 picks, adjusted yards/attempt over 10, and he was good in the 4th quarter all season long. The Titans are playing ground-and-pound football because it's working, not because they don't have a QB who can make plays.

I wasn't making any statements. Just throwing it out there how a failed QB1 from one team transforms with another... whether throwing it or not.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Most of us would agree here.

Agreed. However, it says to me while you try to find the 'next' guy, expect better anyway, and there's always a chance to be an 'outlier' in the meantime.

Either others have to step up and improve, or the QB needs replaced with a better one. OTOH... why not both?

JB will sink or swim in 2020. No hiding thereafter.

Who wouldn't want a Mahomes over a Tannehill.  Despite that, Ryan Tannehill is as close to a Super Bowl with Tennessee as Luck ever got with the Colts. It's depressing.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Superman said:

So let me ask an honest question.  What if JB does take a leap next year.  In this scenario, we have drafted a QB in either the 1st or 2nd round.  What do you do with JB?  Do you let him walk or sign him to a short extension, Franchise him or do you look to flip the young QB?

Not being preachy, I am genuinely asking, what would the colts do?

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I wasn't making any statements. Just throwing it out there how a failed QB1 from one team transforms with another... whether throwing it or not.

Who wouldn't want a Mahomes over a Tannehill.  Despite that, Ryan Tannehill is as close to a Super Bowl with Tennessee as Luck ever got with the Colts. It's depressing.

Understood. But this has become a talking point, and it's going to keep getting repeated. I'm just pointing out that a) the Titans aren't proving that you don't need good QBing to succeed in the playoffs, and b) their QB has actually been pretty good this season.

Btw, I think Tannehill's Titans will meet the same end as Luck's 2014 Colts -- blown out by a better team in the AFCCG. 

Agreed. However, it says to me while you try to find the 'next' guy, expect better anyway, and there's always a chance to be an 'outlier' in the meantime.

Either others have to step up and improve, or the QB needs replaced with a better one. OTOH... why not both?

My preferred strategy is to add the next guy, while JB starts the 2020 season. But in the meantime, the rest of the roster needs continued improvement. We have a lot of work to do across the board, not just at QB. But definitely at QB, though.

22 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So let me ask an honest question.  What if JB does take a leap next year.  In this scenario, we have drafted a QB in either the 1st or 2nd round.  What do you do with JB?  Do you let him walk or sign him to a short extension, Franchise him or do you look to flip the young QB?

What do you consider a leap? And in what ways would he improve? Those are important questions. Lets say he leaps to Alex Smith 2017 level. What do you do? The Chiefs still moved on from him and he was in the MVP conversation that year.  

It also would depend on what the new guy is showing in practice. If the new guy is showing he can be something similar to Mahomes/Watson/Wentz/etc. IMO you still have to move on(trade Jacoby)... Now if the new guys is not showing that he can be a starting caliber QB you have a decision on your hands. I personally would probably franchise tag Jacoby in this type of scenario and see if this is just a blimp on the radar or if he's indeed taken the next step and you can legitimately win consistently with him not just in the regular season but in the playoffs too. 

13 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I would love to have that problem. Way better than rolling with JB, he doesn't do better, and we don't have the next guy on the roster.

My response is the 2017 Chiefs. They draft Mahomes, Alex Smith has an incredible season -- from a dink and dunker who won't throw down the field to statistically the most efficient downfield passer in the league -- then they trade Smith for a solid return. They had a great handle on what Alex Smith was, and a solid idea what Mahomes could be (and what he has become is probably beyond their greatest expectations). 

Even if JB has a strong season, the objective for the Colts would be to get the young QB ready to play as soon as possible. So if JB does well, either you let him walk and wait a year for the comp pick, or you transition tag him and look for a trade partner.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Understood. But this has become a talking point, and it's going to keep getting repeated. I'm just pointing out that a) the Titans aren't proving that you don't need good QBing to succeed in the playoffs, and b) their QB has actually been pretty good this season.

Btw, I think Tannehill's Titans will meet the same end as Luck's 2014 Colts -- blown out by a better team in the AFCCG. 

My preferred strategy is to add the next guy, while JB starts the 2020 season. But in the meantime, the rest of the roster needs continued improvement. We have a lot of work to do across the board, not just at QB. But definitely at QB, though.

Yep... getting a new QB doesn't absolve you from the responsibility of improving the roster. Ballard would still need to add weapons for whoever the QB is. He would still need to seek our next LT because even if he doesn't retire now, AC having those thoughts is not encouraging, he would still need to bolster our DLine and DB units, etc. 

Getting a QB is probably the most important step, but by no means the only step Ballard needs to take this season. 

Just now, stitches said:

What do you consider a leap? And in what ways would he improve? Those are important questions. Lets say he leaps to Alex Smith 2017 level. What do you do? The Chiefs still moved on from him and he was in the MVP conversation that year.  

It also would depend on what the new guy is showing in practice. If the new guy is showing he can be something similar to Mahomes/Watson/Wentz/etc. IMO you still have to move on(trade Jacoby)... Now if the new guys is not showing that he can be a starting caliber QB you have a decision on your hand. I personally would probably franchise tag Jacoby in this type of scenario and see if this is just a blimp on the radar or if he's indeed taken the next step and you can legitimately win consistently with him not just in the regular season but in the playoffs too. 

That would be the benchmark that I would look at it.  Alex Smith in 2017 is a perfect example of the jump that I am discussing.

Lets also point out that Jacoby will be a free agent at the end of next year, so you couldn't trade him because his contract would be up.  You would almost have to sign and trade him.

Does you scenario change if we have drafted a QB at 13 (Like Love or Herbert).  Do you move on no matter what?

4 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

That would be the benchmark that I would look at it.  Alex Smith in 2017 is a perfect example of the jump that I am discussing.

Lets also point out that Jacoby will be a free agent at the end of next year, so you couldn't trade him because his contract would be up.  You would almost have to sign and trade him.

Does you scenario change if we have drafted a QB at 13 (Like Love or Herbert).  Do you move on no matter what?

I think you move on from Brissett.

This is an extremely low odds scenario we are talking about.   You mention an Alex Smith-like jump.   Alex wasn't bad like JB before 2017.  He won 11 games in 2015 and 2016.  Threw for 65 and 67 % completions.  95.4 and 91.2 ratings.   If JB made a jump like that, he'd still be in the lower half of QB's.  

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Yeah, I don't remember what exactly Alex Smith's contract situation was after that season because I remember they traded him and Washington gave him a new contract with the trade. 

You don't move on no matter what. Even if it's Love or Herbert... the guy you draft still needs to be showing improvements in practice and be showing that he can handle himself on the field. You cannot risk giving up Alex Smith 2017 if the guy behind him is... lets say Paxton Lynch, and not Patrick Mahomes. 

But yeah... if Jacoby makes a leap to such level AND the new QB is not showing good improvements in practice, you franchise tag Jacoby and buy yourself one more year of evaluation of both Jacoby AND the new guy. 

This roster is better than the one that went 10-6 in 2018. This roster is not that bad. Dt,og, wr,db. Every team in the league has holes to fill every off season. But, ofcourse, qb is the top priority. How come so many people want to give Brissett another year but ignore Chad Kelly? Open competition at qb next training camp and Kelly is the starter next season. Is he a big enough improvement over Brissett to get the Colts to the playoffs next year? Simple answer, yes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Two_pound said:

This roster is better than the one that went 10-6 in 2018. This roster is not that bad. Dt,og, wr,db. Every team in the league has holes to fill every off season. But, ofcourse, qb is the top priority. How come so many people want to give Brissett another year but ignore Chad Kelly? Open competition at qb next training camp and Kelly is the starter next season. Is he a big enough improvement over Brissett to get the Colts to the playoffs next year? Simple answer, yes.

Hopefully Kelly get's a fair chance to compete for the job next season.

I get so torn about JB.  There are times where i'm excited and ready to move on and draft a QB high in the draft.  Then I go back and watch highlights and game film from the first part of the season and unsure.  I just find it hard to believe that something wasn't wrong with him.  There are so many examples of him making great touch throws.

I just don't know.

14 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

If Brissett starts next season, I won't be following the Colts next year.

And I'm sure you would be the first one back if he does really well or if we tank and get a Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence the following year.

2 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I get so torn about JB.  There are times where i'm excited and ready to move on and draft a QB high in the draft.  Then I go back and watch highlights and game film from the first part of the season and unsure.  I just find it hard to believe that something wasn't wrong with him.  There are so many examples of him making great touch throws.

I just don't know.

Not to be argumentative Bleed Blue but from the beginning of the season he was not finding open receivers, he wasn't throwing deep and other than the great play to beat Denver there      were few really impressive plays. We were winning but just barely. I like JB a lot but have been convinced he isn't long term and wouldn't get us to the promised land. Guess time will tell who's right.

image.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Not to be argumentative Bleed Blue but from the beginning of the season he was not finding open receivers, he wasn't throwing deep and other than the great play to beat Denver there      were few really impressive plays. We were winning but just barely. I like JB a lot but have been convinced he isn't long term and wouldn't get us to the promised land. Guess time will tell who's right.

image.png

I will disagree that he was missing open receivers but I will agree that he wasn’t perfect. People just seems so determined to be done with him. I just hate giving up in a guy that has his locker room qualities. But I will also say that I get excited about the idea of Jordan Love, Justin Herbert, Aaron Gordon or Jalen Hurts getting drafted. Heck I even get excited about Derek Carr. 

I will be interested to see what happens in the 3 months. 

• Nadine unpinned this topic