Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

WarGhost21

10 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I'm not saying you can't evaluate him under less than ideal circumstances, but you have to admit, they the criticism of JB is beyond normal evaluation.  He may not be the next Franchise Elite QB but he is definitely not garbage.  To hear people say Curtis Painter was better or that he will be in the XFL next year is just plain stupid.

He can be evaluated.  Enough NFL time and number of starts gives a very good indication.  Speed of the game, playbook, etc. are not issues. Play abilkity progression and increased execution are.

9 hours ago, #12. said:

If it feels like that, you can blame Reich and Ballard for the reaction.  They built Brissett up into something he wasn't.  Six months ago few Colts fans thought he was a franchise QB,

I remember now. Many were asking to trade him for a second round pick (an undocumented offer they said...)

9 hours ago, #12. said:

but then Luck retires and Frank is praising Brissett as a top end QB and wonderful human being  - the kind of guy you want your daughter to marry.  Ballard gives him the contract and calls him the greatest leader since George Patton, etc. 

Charlie Weis (and I believe Bill Pasrcells) had a similar outlook. But these were prefaced with the "I state this not knowing how he responds when the (NFL) bullets fly.

9 hours ago, #12. said:

Had they not done this, had they just said, okay, Jacoby's gonna get a chance and we'll see what happens,

I really believe with his character and full team support (GM, coaches, players), they hoped the team would respond similar to Kurt Warner taking over for an injured Trent Green, and grow from there.  Did not happen.

9 hours ago, #12. said:

Brissett wouldn't be receiving the same type of the negative reaction he's receiving.  The average Colt fan would have thought, okay, Brissett filled in the best he could in a difficult situation, it didn't work, it's time to draft a QB.  Instead, based on the illusion Frank and Ballard created,

I believe until his injury. he was hovering near top 20, IMHO.  That was what FR said he was.

9 hours ago, #12. said:

Colts fans are critiquing him as a failed franchise QB or failed high draft pick, something he never was.  

True, he never 'grew into' that role. I personally was hoping he would continue to progress and eventually compete to be the team MVP (never would be the league MVP). He actually regressed after his injury, IMO.

Replacing him with better is not going to be as easy as many seem to think.  There will be growing pains aplenty, but a franchise QB is something the club needs to obtain.  I fear JB is not the answer.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Replacing him with better is not going to be as easy as many seem to think.  There will be growing pains aplenty, but a franchise QB is something the club needs to obtain.  I fear JB is not the answer.

Yeah, I must say that while I don't think JB is the answer, I'm equally as worried about how hard it'll be to find that answer.

I'm usually all about scouting college guys, and love to put in my opinion about guys. But with QB's, it's such a different beast. I mean, I like some guys (Love, Herbert, and even Gordon) but it just seems like such a crapshoot as to whether they succeed or fail at the next level. And some of that has to do with coaching/development, which for the most part I have confidence in, but still.

On 12/27/2019 at 11:47 PM, Thunderbolt said:

Well roll the dice, we know JB is definitely not the answer. This way we have at least a 50-50 chance landing a good to above avg QB. I'll take that chance.

Sounds easy. What will it take to "roll the dice" though? On Who? Where? At what cost? Might be prohibitive or excessively expensive, depending.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah JB sucks crazy homer simpson GIF, lets just draft John Doe, he will lead us to the SB next year as he won't miss any WR's downfield lmao . 

come on 2006, nobody I thinking a new drafted QB will lead us to the SB next year. Are you still thinking he is above average and doesn't turn the ball over.:lol:

1 hour ago, DownHillRunner said:

Watching this game today, it tells me this is the end for Jacoby Brissett as our Quarterback. Frank and the coaches DO NOT TRUST HIM! They don't trust him so much that on the scoring drive before the field goal Mack and Hines were called upon most on that drive. 

He has brought our offensive staffs coaching abilities in question.

1 minute ago, hoosierhawk said:

come on 2006, nobody I thinking a new drafted QB will lead us to the SB next year. Are you still thinking he is above average and doesn't turn the ball over.:lol:

He had 2 bad fumbles, but you already seen my mock:

Love

Gallimore

Gandy-Golden

= first 3 picks

-I honestly think JB is average at worst. Maybe it is because I have seen extreme bad as in Pagel, Painter, Tolzien, and knuckle heads like Goerge where we had no chance to win. At least JB gave us a chance to win most weeks and he was 7-7 in games where he started and finished. I never once said JB was the answer, you have never accused me of that but because I do defend him I think many think I love him :funny:

another game watching JB look decent first half and then when things get tight and he has to make some throws on big downs... nothing. can't even get the ball out of his hands with a good offensive line.

the game announcers were going over all his most blatant negatives. takes the longest time to get the ball out of his hands, 3 seconds. misses open guys... throws bad passes to open players. as usual, his some of his worst turnovers occurred on 3rd and longs (usually after he threw a bad pass or held onto the ball to get sacked) and then he's trying to scramble (slowly) thinking he can magically run over defenders and loses the ball...

still trying to figure out how the offenses goes from looking ok and running the ball to looking like the worst offense in the league in the span of a couple quarters

i mean, they won by 30 last week and he still didn't throw a td. 

This team goes nowhere as long as brissett is at the helm. Get Herbert from Oregon. Ive watched the kid for 4 years.  Big, strong, rifle for an arm, good runner.  Draft him, insert him immediately in to the starting lineup and the colts will be much the better.  Brissett is a backup...nothing more.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

At least JB gave us a chance to win most weeks and he was 7-7 in games where he started and finished. 

That's my biggest knock against him.  I think this team finishes right around .500 again next season with JB at QB.   He's a .500 QB.   Good for a back up but not for a starter.  

My final impressions of Jacoby: he seems to be a good backup QB in the league, but the  experiment of starting him didn't show enough promise to keep him at that slot long-term. He's fundamentally conservative QB, who lacks the pocket passing ability in multiple of ways to lead a highly efficient offense and his playmaking is almost nonexistant. He has considerable issues with anticipation and timing on his throws, he has considerable issues with his progression reads, which leads to him holding on the ball for ages. He still has obvious issues isolating and eliminating reads in his progression and was resorting to his checkdowns way too much. He has trouble with his touch and seems to rifle almost every pass as hard as he possibly can. 

He showed some mobility and escapability of the pocket and he seemed hard to bring down in the pocket. In the beginning of the season he seemed to have improved his mechanics and accuracy, which lead to him looking like a solid QB for a while, even though he was still missing more throws than is ideal. His accuracy suffered greatly after the injury, his ball placement was horrible in most games after his return, which in addition to the issues he had previously resulted in some ugly ugly games. Ultimately his inability/unwillingness to throw deep and consistently execute the offense and find open receivers puts him firmly in the "back up" bin for me. 

Final verdict: Long-term backup/Low-level starter. Replace ASAP. Find our long-term QB elsewhere ASAP. 

16 hours ago, Numba1Colt said:

another game watching JB look decent first half and then when things get tight and he has to make some throws on big downs... nothing. can't even get the ball out of his hands with a good offensive line.

The staff enabled him -- basically dared him -- to step up and make plays this week. I appreciate the approach, because the table was set for him to succeed, but he couldn't. He doesn't have it, and we have more than enough proof.

He'll be the defacto starter in 2020, but I'm expecting the staff to find another QB to groom, who can compete in the offseason. JB is the bridge to the next guy.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

The staff enabled him -- basically dared him -- to step up and make plays this week. I appreciate the approach, because the table was set for him to succeed, but he couldn't. He doesn't have it, and we have more than enough proof.

He'll be the defacto starter in 2020, but I'm expecting the staff to find another QB to groom, who can compete in the offseason. JB is the bridge to the next guy.

Yes, that's fair. Unless a FA deal that really makes sense comes available, he will be the starter next season...barring injury, or rehab issues. I am curious as to how they handle Hoyer. 

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Yes, that's fair. Unless a FA deal that really makes sense comes available, he will be the starter next season...barring injury, or rehab issues. I am curious as to how they handle Hoyer. 

The least of my concerns is how they handle Hoyer. I don't expect him to be on the roster for Week 1.

On 12/26/2019 at 12:33 PM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I have seen a P&L.  I ran a non profit for years and have seen that a time or two, lol.

I just say that, Irsay trust Ballard and Reich and if they are telling him that JB can be good and effective, he will trust them.  Also, if JB plays the way he did in the first 7 weeks, for an entire season and the Colts are winning 10-12 games, fans will show up.

P&L for a NP is very different than a corp. By definition, a "NP" isn't about profit. I managed both NP and Corp/LLC 

On 12/26/2019 at 12:33 PM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I have seen a P&L.  I ran a non profit for years and have seen that a time or two, lol.

I just say that, Irsay trust Ballard and Reich and if they are telling him that JB can be good and effective, he will trust them.  Also, if JB plays the way he did in the first 7 weeks, for an entire season and the Colts are winning 10-12 games, fans will show up.

And regarding Brissett, don't mistake team record for his performance. From a simple QBR perspective, JB had several bad games in the first 7 games. Any sub 50 QBR is simply bad, and bad is bad. Just because we won despite a bad QB performance, doesn't make his 30s and 40s QBRs acceptable.  

If you have any question about his performance through the year...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/2578570/jacoby-brissett

58 minutes ago, Superman said:

The least of my concerns is how they handle Hoyer. I don't expect him to be on the roster for Week 1.

Yes, I said curious, but not concerned....unless he is still on the roster. Do you have a late round flyer at QB you have your eye on?

7 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Yes, I said curious, but not concerned....unless he is still on the roster. Do you have a late round flyer at QB you have your eye on?

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Nope, not interested in late round flyers. I've only been looking at the top guys so far. 

Yep, late round flyers is what you take when you already have your franchise QB. 

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

How many of those late round flyers did we take with Manning and Luck?

Edit...looked it up...2 in 19 years.

The point is that you don't look to late round flyers when you need a franchise QB. That's a 'let's take a shot on a guy late because it's not critical to the foundation of the team' kind of pick.

12 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

How many of those late round flyers did we take with Manning and Luck?

Edit...looked it up...2 in 19 years.

Not nearly enough. IMO every 2-3 years you can draft a QB to see what you have, develop him, have him as a cheap backup and trade him before you have to pay him. Rinse and repeat. (kind of like the Pats are doing)

1 hour ago, Superman said:

The point is that you don't look to late round flyers when you need a franchise QB.

Never thought that, and I agree with you. I also feel that reaching if "the right guy" isn't available, is a bad approach as well. 

I just wondered if you saw some raw potential for a late pick. Never assumed you were thinking that was the long term answer. 

I’m sorry I do not feel the same as some of you about Brissett as quarterback. Let’s face it, he does not have the motivational skills and leader ship qualities as other quarterbacks. If you truly watched the team in the last few games, they were not motivated. They did not seem to have that snap in there walk as they left the huddle. I had the feeling some of them just wanted it over with. I think they should either use Kelly or find some one that could fill the position. Be honest with yourself, passing the ball is not all of it. If the receivers are not motivated. It does not matter how well you can throw a football. 

I know the Brissett piling on has been non-stop.  And I think it is deserved.  I think the part that is most confusing to me is why did any of you think he was going to be any good?  What evidence was there to back that up other then the Colts calling him a franchise QB?

So let's back up. Brissett was a 3rd round pick of the Patriots.  It happens, but rarely do 3rd round or lower QBs become franchise QBs.  There is always a Russell Wilson, Joe Montana, or Tom Brady who breaks the rule, but that is rare.

So he gets traded to the Colts, starts in 2017, wins 4 games, and shows an alarming tendency to hold the ball too long, checkdown, lock onto a receiver, and being incredibly inaccurate over 10 yards.  The year before and after, when Luck played, he had many of the same parts and had much more success.

So 2018, he sits on the bench and watches Luck slowly get stronger and Luck throws 39 TDs.

So what lead anyone to believe he would be anything more than a placeholder?  Because Irsay, Ballard, Reich, and even Luck praised him?  Were they supposed to put him down knowing they had no other options?

So they start out 5-2 and Brissett was being praised and some on here talked about him being a MVP candidate.  lol That was funny!  The success came from a solid running attack and teams unprepared for Brissett.  But he was the same player.  Held the ball too long, checkdowns, inaccurate, and poor decisions.  But he had to do it far less.  Once teams got some film on him and realized all you had to do was force him to beat you downfield, there was little he could offer.

He is who he is.  He seems like a great guy who processes things slowly and doesn't like to take chances.  He was a 3rd round pick who was traded!  We don't expect our 3rd round picks to be franchise players.  Heck, even QBs traded in mid to late first round aren't expected to be franchise QBs.

Here is something to think about.  Luck played last year with many of the people Brissett played with this year.  Yet, there were more sacks, much less scoring, fewer explosive plays, and our defense wore down more.  This main culprit is Brissetts inability to be more than a placeholder QB.  I guarantee had a healthy Luck played this year, we would not be talking about the defense taking steps back or the OLine giving up more sacks.  Poor offense leads to poor defense.

So, I go back to the original question.  What evidence was there that Brissett would be anything more than what he has shown?  How are you surprised?  Why would you think he would get better? Wake up!  He is NOT VERY GOOD AND NEVER WAS!

7 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I know the Brissett piling on has been non-stop.  And I think it is deserved.  I think the part that is most confusing to me is why did any of you think he was going to be any good?  What evidence was there to back that up other then the Colts calling him a franchise QB?

So let's back up. Brissett was a 3rd round pick of the Patriots.  It happens, but rarely do 3rd round or lower QBs become franchise QBs.  There is always a Russell Wilson, Joe Montana, or Tom Brady who breaks the rule, but that is rare.

So he gets traded to the Colts, starts in 2017, wins 4 games, and shows an alarming tendency to hold the ball too long, checkdown, lock onto a receiver, and being incredibly inaccurate over 10 yards.  The year before and after, when Luck played, he had many of the same parts and had much more success.

So 2018, he sits on the bench and watches Luck slowly get stronger and Luck throws 39 TDs.

So what lead anyone to believe he would be anything more than a placeholder?  Because Irsay, Ballard, Reich, and even Luck praised him?  Were they supposed to put him down knowing they had no other options?

So they start out 5-2 and Brissett was being praised and some on here talked about him being a MVP candidate.  lol That was funny!  The success came from a solid running attack and teams unprepared for Brissett.  But he was the same player.  Held the ball too long, checkdowns, inaccurate, and poor decisions.  But he had to do it far less.  Once teams got some film on him and realized all you had to do was force him to beat you downfield, there was little he could offer.

He is who he is.  He seems like a great guy who processes things slowly and doesn't like to take chances.  He was a 3rd round pick who was traded!  We don't expect our 3rd round picks to be franchise players.  Heck, even QBs traded in mid to late first round aren't expected to be franchise QBs.

Here is something to think about.  Luck played last year with many of the people Brissett played with this year.  Yet, there were more sacks, much less scoring, fewer explosive plays, and our defense wore down more.  This main culprit is Brissetts inability to be more than a placeholder QB.  I guarantee had a healthy Luck played this year, we would not be talking about the defense taking steps back or the OLine giving up more sacks.  Poor offense leads to poor defense.

So, I go back to the original question.  What evidence was there that Brissett would be anything more than what he has shown?  How are you surprised?  Why would you think he would get better? Wake up!  He is NOT VERY GOOD AND NEVER WAS!

People try to be optimistic and really behind the team and the personnel. I dont know how many people truly deep down felt he was a true franchise QB since most wanted him traded during the off season. The issue is good QB's dont grow on Trees, just ask Jacksonville, Tennessee, along with tons of other NFL teams. We can try and draft one this year but there is no guarantee in any of them. That's the issue with 7-8 and 8-8 is we wont ever be bad enough to drop down and pick first overall and get a day 1 starter, we will likely draft one and develop them for a year. So brace yourself because I would say there is an 85% chance right now that Brissett is the starting QB through 2020 barring injury.

17 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I know the Brissett piling on has been non-stop........

luckily I never fell for it! haha I knew he was gonna be his same average self all year long. you dont just magically turn into a great franchise QB after being in the league 4 years and being average as hell all 4 years.

I didn't ever think he'd be a great QB, I was more shocked at how quickly he fell from grace after the 5-2 start. He was just completely exposed in half a season. I'm ready for a new QB now, saw all I needed to see from him. Bottom 5 QB. If we start him next year, we'll go 4-12.

For me it's rooting for my team. This isn't real life so I'll be optimistic for anyone they put out there.

I was hoping he'd be the guy, but he's not, it's sports. There will be more Colts QB duds in the future, same as every team. 

Archived