Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep...he creates posts daily that discuss the QB position. Even the thread about wanting to draft a certain QB tie back to the idea of giving JB more time.

Okay So as I watch the Niners game I am noticing that Jimmy G is operating the game in a way thenReich and the Colts want JB to. I have the a huge take...   Jimmy G is no better than JB

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

We saw accuracy issues again ,I feel those are things that are hard to teach.You either have that gift naturally or you don't .


Oh man. There was a little dump off to an open RB last night that probably would have gone for a first down or at least close to it and he sailed it way over his head. A dude 9 foot tall would have had no chance to catch that stinker he threw. :hide:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was alarmed when Booger said with absolute certainty that Reich was committed to JB going forward. Really?  In the face of any possibility?  What if Justin Herbert falls in our lap in the first round.  Will we doggedly draft Tristan Wirfs because we're committed to JB?  Really?

I hope that was just hyperbole from Booger, because that's more than a bit scary.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I commented on this in the game thread last night. A lot of these broadcasters and talking heads just watch the highlights. They just look at the box scores. They don’t watch full games. They don’t see those drives where he looks lost. They don’t see those plays where one, or two receivers are open and he’s staring down one guy in triple coverage and never looking at anyone else. They don’t see those plays where he just flat out misses on his throws that he shouldn’t.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Brissett has plummeted. He wasn't this bad earlier in the season. I never thought he was the long-term answer but man, he isn't even the short term answer. He was bad last night. Then when you watch Brees throw 1 freaking incomplete pass, it frustrates you even more that your QB is missing wide open receivers 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

JB just dosnt seem to have the clutch gene. I can only think of one play all season that he looked like he had it. Get away from pressure in your own end zone and dart it 30 yards for TY. Great play, but that's it.

 

He didnt look good in prime time against the chiefs, he didnt look good against the texans in a must win game, and he was awful last night. 

 

I'm still in the camp of give him another year to show what he has. Still need his replacement sitting behind him though. I want for him to succeed. Dosnt seem likely at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So, throughout the broadcast, as bad as Jacoby looked, you kept hearing Booger and the Monday Night Crew commenting on the fact that he is the Franchise guy. That Reich said he is his guy going forward. 
 

Now, I will be the first to admit that I have been a staunch JB supporter, but he is not making that easy, lol. 
 

My question is, after last night is this still possible. Is JB just that bad, he seems to have regressed horribly since the knee injury. Could having played this poorly and slumped so badly motivate him in the offseason to get better. I guess what I’m curious of is is the media plugged in and what they hearing about the belief is JB truth or smoke screen?

I liked JB early in the year because he was playing like the kind of NFL QB we need today.

 

He was very accurate with his short passes.  In fact, he was more accurate than Luck ever was.  While he wasn't taking many shots down field at the time, that's okay because taking a lot of shots down field and accumulating top 5 passing stats is less important than being accurate with short passes.  What is important is going 28 for 29, like Brees did against us.  What Brees' yardage was is unimportant.

 

But JB is no longer accurate with the short passes.  He either needs to get that short-game accuracy back or be replaced by a QB who is; like Jordan Love, Jake Fromm, or probably a few other college Qbs that get little hype.

Link to post
Share on other sites

People like to blame the injury for his slide and it may effect his performance some, but I think it's more a factor of teams had enough film on him after 7 games that they could game plan effectively and force him to beat him by his weakness, deep passing, and he has been unable to do it.  And when you combine JB's hesitancy and inability to throw deep accurately with the Colts not having a receiver that can threaten deep (with Campbell injured and Hilton at 75%) it leads to defenses playing short zone coverage most of the game which takes away JB's strength... the 8-12 yard passes.  Since most of the D is playing within 8 yards of the LOS it also makes things tougher on the run game as well.

 

The NO game was the worst I have seen JB play and I don't expect that to be the norm for him, but I also think we have seen his ceiling as a starting QB.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, deedub75 said:

They like JB because they were stuck with him.  I mean, what else is Frank gonna say?  He has to stick up for JB.  I bet Jim is behind the scenes trying to get Luck to come back. 

I hope you are right. I hope that after a year to heal properly Luck gets the itch to come back. He has to be aware of how his absence has hurt his brothers in arms. TY's body language after a few of those throws said everything.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In two years as a starter, Brissett has done nothing to deserve or simply be handed the starting job in 2020.  If Brissett is still here in 2020, I don't care who is here - Kelly, Hoyer, draft pick, free agent - there needs to be an open competition.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I bet Jim is behind the scenes trying to get Luck to come back. 

 

It is the best option for this franchise, if it can somehow happen.  Even if you sell out and move up to get Herbert, which by draft time I'm sure you will have to do, there is no guarantee of anything.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Cincinnati moves on from Andy Dalton, maybe the Colts should take a look? Don't laugh. But instant upgrade over Brissett. Dalton has never had a great O-Line before and we play indoor. I think he could possibly thrive here. Draft another Day 1 WR and TE and hope Hilton stays healthy and we could have a good offense again for possibly 3 years or so. Can do that all while grooming another young QB if we decide to hold off on drafting one next year but maybe the following year.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, KB said:

JB just dosnt seem to have the clutch gene. I can only think of one play all season that he looked like he had it. Get away from pressure in your own end zone and dart it 30 yards for TY. Great play, but that's it.

 

He didnt look good in prime time against the chiefs, he didnt look good against the texans in a must win game, and he was awful last night. 

 

I'm still in the camp of give him another year to show what he has. Still need his replacement sitting behind him though. I want for him to succeed. Dosnt seem likely at this point.

It doesn’t seem likely because what you’re seeing play out is exactly what you saw in 2017. We were quick to give him a pass because he was asked to start on a bad team with Grigson’s players after only a week on the team and no offseason. Not to mention Pagano was his HC. But the more he plays this year, the more it shows that what we saw in 2017 was an accurate representation of what he could do.

 

As you said, he’s only had one “special” play this season. There really isn’t much for him to show. His limitations are obvious and probably not fixable this late in his career (he’s 27 and 4 years in). 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

If Cincinnati moves on from Andy Dalton, maybe the Colts should take a look? Don't laugh. But instant upgrade over Brissett. Dalton has never had a great O-Line before and we play indoor. I think he could possibly thrive here. Draft another Day 1 WR and TE and hope Hilton stays healthy and we could have a good offense again for possibly 3 years or so. Can do that all while grooming another young QB if we decide to hold off on drafting one next year but maybe the following year.

My friend and I talked about the same thing last night. The red rocket is much more serviceable than JB. If the Colts plan is to stack picks and money endlessly we might as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

They like JB because they were stuck with him.  I mean, what else is Frank gonna say?  He has to stick up for JB.  I bet Jim is behind the scenes trying to get Luck to come back. 

I agree with the JB / Reich part of your comment. :thmup:

 

23 minutes ago, TrueBlue12 said:

I hope you are right. I hope that after a year to heal properly Luck gets the itch to come back. He has to be aware of how his absence has hurt his brothers in arms. TY's body language after a few of those throws said everything.

I don't want Luck back.

 

Because then what? So the next time he get's nicked up his team mates (never mind we, the peanut gallery) have to guess whether he's gonna bail or not?

 

Sorry.... I don't begrudge Andrew Luck for retiring early if he thought it was best for his family....or doesn't want to superglue his identity to football.

 

But if he gets any second thoughts about coming back.... I hope we trade his rights to the highest bidder. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was never really on the JB bandwagon.  That being said I think they will ride him out for another year most likely.  If there is a QB Ballard likes though it wouldn’t shock me if he still takes one and sits him a year.  

 

Honestly since they’re eliminated I would like to see what’s CK can do.  Everything is a wash going forward so you have nothing to lose.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TrueBlue12 said:

I understand your thinking. I just don't want our Colts to be in a QB malaise like so many other franchises get stuck in for, seemingly, decades.

Unfortunately we’re going to have to take that risk. Been spoiled for too long. We drafted Peyton and then Luck. Now when we need a franchise QB we don’t have the number 1 overall pick for once. Now we’re the team who’s going to have to take a chance on a QB in the 1st and actually develop him. Subconsciously, this is why so many people kept making excuses for Brissett. Our fans are spoiled. They always want to already have the answer and not have to search for it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

People like to blame the injury for his slide and it may effect his performance some, but I think it's more a factor of teams had enough film on him after 7 games that they could game plan effectively and force him to beat him by his weakness, deep passing, and he has been unable to do it.  And when you combine JB's hesitancy and inability to throw deep accurately with the Colts not having a receiver that can threaten deep (with Campbell injured and Hilton at 75%) it leads to defenses playing short zone coverage most of the game which takes away JB's strength... the 8-12 yard passes.  Since most of the D is playing within 8 yards of the LOS it also makes things tougher on the run game as well.

 

The NO game was the worst I have seen JB play and I don't expect that to be the norm for him, but I also think we have seen his ceiling as a starting QB.

 

 As correct and simple as an Eberflus defense.
 JB is pretty easy to game plan for.
  I thought i was watching Kaepernik/Mariotta last night. 
The best thing is for the fans to stay home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TrueBlue12 said:

I understand your thinking. I just don't want our Colts to be in a QB malaise like so many other franchises get stuck in for, seemingly, decades.

usually teams that get stuck without a QB for ten years is that teams fault.   so many teams with qb needs passed up on good qbs in the draft .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I was alarmed when Booger said with absolute certainty that Reich was committed to JB going forward. Really?  In the face of any possibility?  What if Justin Herbert falls in our lap in the first round.  Will we doggedly draft Tristan Wirfs because we're committed to JB?  Really?

I hope that was just hyperbole from Booger, because that's more than a bit scary.

 

I take solace in the fact that Booger doesn't know anything.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

maybe hes just not that good like ive been saying all year?

 

There's been a few of us who have been fighting the good fight all year. I can't imagine there is anyone left to argue with now. That "imo" person apparently died on the "JB is great" hill...because I haven't seen him for a while.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

If Cincinnati moves on from Andy Dalton, maybe the Colts should take a look? Don't laugh. But instant upgrade over Brissett. Dalton has never had a great O-Line before and we play indoor. I think he could possibly thrive here. Draft another Day 1 WR and TE and hope Hilton stays healthy and we could have a good offense again for possibly 3 years or so. Can do that all while grooming another young QB if we decide to hold off on drafting one next year but maybe the following year.

I think this is correct, but I don't think most of us fans will have it. Too much Bengal dysfunction/stench. Dalton is a universe better than JB at throwing the ball, which is a pretty important facet of the QB's job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MPStack said:

I did not see a QB tonight, that should and will counting 21.5 M against the 2020 CAP. 
 

Insane and I don’t care how much cap space the Colts have. 

 

I think we are the only ones who see this...and it sort of baffles me. But I don't think anyone is changing their mind at this point...which I get...because it's not their money and JB is a good dude. But it was a goofy financial and football decision...that will likely look bad in retrospect.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

 

I think we are the only ones who see this...and it sort of baffles me. But I don't think anyone is changing their mind at this point...which I get...because it's not their money and JB is a good dude. But it was a goofy financial and football decision...that will likely look bad in retrospect.

 

 


JB really had no leverage. What was he going to do, like holdout on his rookie deal? 

 

IMO, it’s been Ballard’s biggest mistake, no matter how much CAP the Colts had. 
 

And I do believe the $ plays into continuing to stick Jacoby. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

I think we are the only ones who see this...and it sort of baffles me. But I don't think anyone is changing their mind at this point...which I get...because it's not their money and JB is a good dude. But it was a goofy financial and football decision...that will likely look bad in retrospect.

 

Just now, MPStack said:


JB really had no leverage. What was he going to do, like holdout on his rookie deal? 

 

IMO, it’s been Ballard’s biggest mistake, no matter how much CAP the Colts had. 
 

And I do believe the $ plays into continuing to stick Jacoby. 

 

To the bolded, I don't. I said when Luck retired that I thought JB was a bridge QB, and I still believe that. Having him under contract for another year allows us to get to the next guy without being in a rush to play a rookie who might not be ready on Day 1.

 

As for the value of the contract, I didn't have a problem with it at the time because I thought JB would be ... different. Not necessarily better, I felt like he's an average QB (I've been saying "slightly above average" but I'm ready to drop the modifier at this point), and we could go .500 with him, and he's .500 this season in games he's finished, with a near neutral point differential. But I thought he'd settle into a groove at some point, get comfortable and start making some plays, and that the offense would be more functional than it's been the last few games. The possibility also existed that he would come out and have a really strong season, then hit free agency, which would have been very costly for the Colts. 

 

Instead, he started out reasonably well, and is now on a downward spiral. I thought the team would feel like they have a chance with JB; the last month and a half it's feeling like the team is deflated.

 

And now, it's kind of ridiculous to have JB under contract with a $21.5m cap hit in 2020.

 

I understood the strategy at the time, I was an advocate for it before it happened. I didn't think they'd give him as much as they did, but I still agree with the strategy, because it protected them from potentially having to make an even bigger commitment going into 2020. 

 

But I completely disagree with the idea that JB's contract will influence their decision about improving the QB position going into next season. To me, it's completely irrelevant. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

With the contract, Ballard tried to give Brissett confidence.  With their words and praise, Ballard and Frank tried to magically talk Brissett into being.  It didn't work.

 

When it comes to Vinatieri or whatever, not much did work in 2019.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, MPStack said:


JB really had no leverage. What was he going to do, like holdout on his rookie deal? 

 

IMO, it’s been Ballard’s biggest mistake, no matter how much CAP the Colts had. 
 

And I do believe the $ plays into continuing to stick Jacoby. 

 

 

I think it's a big reason why they won't bench him for the ROS. If he was on his rookie deal...then I think they would entertain it. But they already commited to him and have to see it through...otherwise they are admitting failure. In the offseason, they can make the necessary moves and show that they have a plan to groom a QB. I have hoped this was going to be the strategy since Luck retired.

 

I actually thought there was a chance that JB would end up on IR...but obviously that didn't happen...and it won't happen now...because it will be as obvious as Vinny going on IR. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ratking said:

My friend and I talked about the same thing last night. The red rocket is much more serviceable than JB. If the Colts plan is to stack picks and money endlessly we might as well. 

 

Similar to the titans and Ryan Tanahil? (Sp?) Could work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, #12. said:

With the contract, Ballard tried to give Brissett confidence.  With their words and praise, Ballard and Frank tried to magically talk Brissett into being.  It didn't work.

 

When it comes to Vinatieri or whatever, not much did work in 2019.

 

In fairness...it goes beyond just JB. The Colts are building a team culture and personality...and a move like that serves to strengthen it.

 

I just think...in this case...it wasn't exactly prudent. But I understand it's JMO and it is influenced by my own bias.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

If Cincinnati moves on from Andy Dalton, maybe the Colts should take a look? Don't laugh. But instant upgrade over Brissett. Dalton has never had a great O-Line before and we play indoor. I think he could possibly thrive here. Draft another Day 1 WR and TE and hope Hilton stays healthy and we could have a good offense again for possibly 3 years or so. Can do that all while grooming another young QB if we decide to hold off on drafting one next year but maybe the following year.

I am a Colts fan who happens to have lived in Cincinnati for oh so many years. I have watched most of Dalton's NFL games. He did have a very good OL and receivers early in his career, he was just never good in the clutch. 0 for whatever in the postseason.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Nadine unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • The person who lost it is you.   You posted,  IN THIS THREAD,  that we were bottom-5.   Turns out,  we're not.   We're bottom 10.   And, as I noted,  only you would complain about throwing 33 times a game.      Once again,  you demonstrate how little you know about football.    You try to twist facts to make your point.   Your incorrect point.   Funny how you again use the J'Ville game when you think it helps you make a point.   Because the previous day you told me NOT to use because it was "irrelevant".   Your word,  not mine.   So, it's irrelevent when I make a point with it,  but it's perfectly fine when you try to use it.   How classicly YOU!   Don't look now,  but I'm running circles around your argument.   Now,  not only aren't stats your friend,  but words aren't your friend either.  This just keeps getting worse for you.   The more you post about this,  the worse it gets for you.   But, by all means, keep doubling down on a losing hand.  You have a lot of experience doing that.    Carry on!  
    • How Rivers did week 1 is irrelevant?    Are you certifiable?    You've been complaining about it ever since.    Throwing 46 times wasn't the game plan.   But you didn't seem to notice that against that terrible run defense we couldn't manage to gain 90 yards.   And we threw for nearly 400.    So you demonstrate your lack of understanding of football.   The game plan wasn't working,  so we went with what WAS WORKING.    The passing game.   And we backed off the running game.     And by the way,  one of the reasons why the running game wasn't working was the lack of the pre-season.     But, that's just you being you!    LOL!!  
    • Really?  That's the best you got?   A childish insult that sounds like it came from a 12 year old?   That's the best you got?   In my more than 8 years here, I've never met someone more afraid of writing words than you.   They're like your kryptonite.   And stop trying to be the school-yard bully telling me what to do and not to do.   That's not going to work either.   Your such a coward running as far away from any fight you think you can't win.   Not changing anything?    That's what you do to any topic that you can't win.   Happens all the time.   Which is why I write about it all the time.    This is not new territory.   So, the next time you want to insult me,  do yourself a favor,  use one of your Life Lines!   Try the Phone-a-Friend feature and ask someone else for a better insult than "wise old lady".    If that's the best you got,  well,  It's just pitiful.   Good Luck.  
    • you misinterpreted his comment. Try reading it again
  • Members

    • Mr_486lo

      Mr_486lo 34

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IinD

      IinD 3,076

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • life long

      life long 350

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • UKColt13

      UKColt13 1,455

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Solon

      Solon 582

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 21,702

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...