Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

WarGhost21

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JB did a few things well yesterday. He threw the ball down the field, seemed more decisive, even made some plays. I literally applauded some of his throws, including the TD to Marcus Johnson (the same Marcus Johnson who everyone has claimed can't get open and doesn't have JB's trust). 

He was also erratic, inaccurate, late with throws, etc. We needed some routine plays that didn't get made. 

And that's not only on JB. There were some drops, which hurt. And the run game couldn't get going.

4 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Rushing in 2019 compared to 2018 the Colts have:

A better Y/A 

A better 1st down %

On average 5 more rushing attempts per game

So I'd call bogus on the above, which lends weight to the line not being as much of a problem as people have tried to make out. We're rushing more efficiently, we're rushing more, despite not posing as much of a deep threat.

Interestingly to the last point, teams don't really stack the box against us, Mack has only seen 8 in the box on 11% of his snaps. The league high is 40%.. I'll let people guess which RB that is (they do have over 150 rushing attempts). 

your stats dont tell the whole story in the loses we could not run it when  we needed toeven though our yds per game looked good. i repeat stats dont tell the whole story. 

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

JB did a few things well yesterday. He threw the ball down the field, seemed more decisive, even made some plays. I literally applauded some of his throws, including the TD to Marcus Johnson (the same Marcus Johnson who everyone has claimed can't get open and doesn't have JB's trust). 

He was also erratic, inaccurate, late with throws, etc. We needed some routine plays that didn't get made. 

And that's not only on JB. There were some drops, which hurt. And the run game couldn't get going.

there were a lot of drops

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I get it. I am just confused why we haven’t been able to run when we need to. We should be running a lot more in the 4th with that lead. I am just confused why the run game has been inconsistent. We have games it looks u stoppable and games where we can’t run at all. It’s just confusing. That’s what Reich said he wanted this year. Being able to run when you have to. That shouldn’t happen with this oline.

might have something to do with the Bucs being one of the best run defenses in the league

1 hour ago, Superman said:

This is a very reasonable post and I agree with it 100%. I thought JB was playing good for the most part, actually one of his better games. That final drive was ugly but when it was 3rd and 2 I would've ran Mack, JMO. I don't question Reich too often but 2 passes when it is 3rd and 2 is not smart.

On 12/8/2019 at 5:31 PM, Sumo63 said:

This was a designed as a prove it game for Brissett.  Been a couple weeks of "chunk play" talk.  This game was schemed, called, and played with that in mind.

They have internal metrics as to the success and failure parameters.  Weve been told as much.  I dont think W's or L's are that important organizationally anymore. 

Brissett is under heavy scrutiny though.  That much I know.  I think new Orleans is a big one for him to put it all together.  After that I'm ready to see Kelly, then the big board.  

I expect its jacoby's job to lose this offseason, but (as an alternative) I dont think a huge fa acquisition and a high draft pick are outta the question either.....

Such a weird year, I still think as a franchise were in good hands tho.

eli is lighting it up on monday night football, ballard could get him cheap, but a few qb gurus on this forum said eli and rivers are done

7 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

eli is lighting it up on monday night football, ballard could get him cheap, but a few qb gurus on this forum said eli and rivers are done

I was thinking Cam on a front loaded 3 year.  I think he's gonna be available.  Crazy tho right?

48 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

I was thinking Cam on a front loaded 3 year.  I think he's gonna be available.  Crazy tho right?

Not really.  Skill wise he would be a huge upgrade at QB and make us division favorites and instant contenders.  That would be before any other moves and the draft.  He would flourish behind our OL. 

2 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

Define "lighting it up." 

Do you really want to pick between a couple of 38 year old QBs? 

And what makes you think either of them were/are available for the Colts?

And aren't you Team Jacoby? You want to replace him with Eli, or Rivers? Or are you just being contrary?

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Define "lighting it up." 

And aren't you Team Jacoby? You want to replace him with Eli, or Rivers? Or are you just being contrary?

I'd love Eli over Hoyer to bring on a new drafted QB though.

10 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

too many injuries for me to be on board with that.  his play style is running and trucking people

he may not last a year playing at los like that 

14 hours ago, Superman said:

There was a play in the 3rd quarter, after the Bucs made it 35-28. It was a pass to Pascal on 1st and 10 and it was broken up.

However, the CB guarding Marcus Johnson fell down and Johnson had nothing

but green in front of him. Jacoby didn’t see him, which happens but it was indicative of Jacoby “locking in” to his primary receiver. 
    That propensity to “lock in” and his poor play when the game is on the line, makes me think he’s NOT what the Colts need long-term.
  He does make some brilliant plays here and there and players can develop but those two deficiencies are hard to overcome.

9 hours ago, Superman said:

I absolutely would.  I'd prefer Rivers.   

Just because I think this team (when healthy) is good enough to win now.   I don't look forward to another year of Brissett ball.  I believe we will draft a QB.   Rivers or even Manning would be an upgrade over Brissett.   I'm torn on Cam.  Running was much of his game and that seems to be nearly gone.  The injuries scare me too.   

6 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

There was a play in the 3rd quarter, after the Bucs made it 35-28. It was a pass to Pascal on 1st and 10 and it was broken up.

However, the CB guarding Marcus Johnson fell down and Johnson had nothing

but green in front of him. Jacoby didn’t see him, which happens but it was indicative of Jacoby “locking in” to his primary receiver. 
    That propensity to “lock in” and his poor play when the game is on the line, makes me think he’s NOT what the Colts need long-term.
  He does make some brilliant plays here and there and players can develop but those two deficiencies are hard to overcome.

As we watched Manning play with "happy feet" under pressure his 1st 5 seasons with 100 interceptios.
 Not saying Jacoby will get there with quicker thinking but we know Manning took all the reps, and that trust he built over time Knowing how his receivers would read and react is what made his passing game so Excellent. 
 If one will accept this then Jacoby is only just beginning that process. 

Seeing Pascal scratch the surface with Jacoby can be a source of hope. And even what Johnson did Sunday should be enjoyed.

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

Just because I think this team (when healthy) is good enough to win now.   I don't look forward to another year of Brissett ball.  I believe we will draft a QB.   Rivers or even Manning would be an upgrade over Brissett.   I'm torn on Cam.  Running was much of his game and that seems to be nearly gone.  The injuries scare me too.   

First, I want to stress that Eli is not lighting it up, which was the statement that prompted my earlier post.

Second, Rivers is better than Eli, but Rivers has been bad for most of this season. He played well Sunday, but I'm thinking Rivers is done. 

Third, if Rivers has another year or two left, I think he's better than JB, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect him to play for the Colts. 

Cam is a different story. He's also better than JB, but IMO, he's not the kind of QB that I would want. He's gotten by on his physical abilities his entire career, and his superior mobility is starting to falter, plus the injuries. 

Jameis Winston will also be a free agent.

11 hours ago, Superman said:

Define "lighting it up." 

lighting it up is completing long passes like some on this forum think jb cant do. rivers is not done 3748 yds third in the nfl. was never team jb, he is just the best we have now, and i dont see any one elite in this years draft, i am for getting a proven talent at qb, it worked for the titans

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

First, I want to stress that Eli is not lighting it up, which was the statement that prompted my earlier post.

Second, Rivers is better than Eli, but Rivers has been bad for most of this season. He played well Sunday, but I'm thinking Rivers is done. 

Third, if Rivers has another year or two left, I think he's better than JB, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect him to play for the Colts. 

Cam is a different story. He's also better than JB, but IMO, he's not the kind of QB that I would want. He's gotten by on his physical abilities his entire career, and his superior mobility is starting to falter, plus the injuries. 

Jameis Winston will also be a free agent.

I agree with all of this.   People got so excited that Eli was playing and the Giants were winning.   He completed 50% of his passes for crying out loud.  Heck, the ESPN staff this morning was talking like he won a huge game.  "Which team can he help get to the Super Bowl"?  Eli has never been a great QB.  Losing record in games he has started.  

Yeah, I know Rivers to the Colts won't happen.  Just my wishful thinking for 1 year.   Maybe he could show Reich how to use Hines.  Rivers uses Ekeler the way I would like to see Hines used.   Mostly I fear Brissett will be the starting QB next season and we'll have another season of .500 ball.  

I would take Cam over Brissett but I wouldn't want to ink him to a long contract.  He is signed for 2020 already, so the risk would be minimal.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

i agree, we could be a contender with a proven talent

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree with all of this.   People got so excited that Eli was playing and the Giants were winning.   He completed 50% of his passes for crying out loud.  Heck, the ESPN staff this morning was talking like he won a huge game.  "Which team can he help get to the Super Bowl"?  Eli has never been a great QB.  Losing record in games he has started.  

Yeah, I know Rivers to the Colts won't happen.  Just my wishful thinking for 1 year.   Maybe he could show Reich how to use Hines.  Rivers uses Ekeler the way I would like to see Hines used.   Mostly I fear Brissett will be the starting QB next season and we'll have another season of .500 ball.  

I would take Cam over Brissett but I wouldn't want to ink him to a long contract.  He is signed for 2020 already, so the risk would be minimal.  

he had a lot of drops therefore the 50 percent, in the hands drops, cant always tell by stats

14 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

lighting it up is completing long passes like some on this forum think jb cant do. rivers is not done 3748 yds third in the nfl. was never team jb, he is just the best we have now, and i dont see any one elite in this years draft, i am for getting a proven talent at qb, it worked for the titans

Yeah, that's not lighting it up. Eli was decidedly average last night, just like he has been for the last seven years. 

Rivers might not be done, but he's 38 and not playing well overall. 

And it's interesting that anyone would call Tannehill a proven talent. He was considered yesterday's garbage this offseason. I'd actually take Tannehill over everyone we're talking about right now, and I said in the offseason that I thought he was better than he was getting credit for. But we didn't need him in the offseason, or so we thought. 

And there were will other QBs available this offseason, but no one franchise-level. We'll have to find our next franchise QB in the draft. If you want a short term patch, you can give one of these guys $25m/year. 

6 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

he had a lot of drops therefore the 50 percent, in the hands drops, cant always tell by stats

Good point, but even watching the game I didn't get the feeling he was playing fantastic.  I think he would be a slight improvement over Brissett.   Not a whole lot though.   He would have a good O-line.   

Winston is an interesting option.   He's not been great, but I wonder if Reich could work some magic.

image.png.584a5f014629dbf8725b0cf33274f46e.png

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, that's not lighting it up. Eli was decidedly average last night, just like he has been for the last seven years. 

And it's interesting that anyone would call Tannehill a proven talent. He was considered yesterday's garbage this offseason. I'd actually take Tannehill over everyone we're talking about right now, and I said in the offseason that I thought he was better than he was getting credit for. But we didn't need him in the offseason, or so we thought. 

And there were will other QBs available this offseason, but no one franchise-level. We'll have to find our next franchise QB in the draft. If you want a short term patch, you can give one of these guys $25m/year. 

do you see anyone elite in this draft ?

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's exactly what I want.

19 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

I don't call draft prospects elite, especially at QB. I see some guys who might become really good pro QBs, but there's no way to know for sure. 

If you forced me to choose one today, it would be Justin Herbert.

This is what is so maddening about Jacoby. Look at how well he does in the pocket here. Then add the great touch he had on the pascal TD and 2 pt conversion. He shows flashes but isn’t consistent. I do wonder if these things could be improved in the off season if he ends up starting next season. Just needs more consistency.

5 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

I've been watching tape, trying to decide who fits best with what Frank wants to do offensively and who is a Ballard type prospect - a physical specimen who can be coached up.  Probably Herbert, but someone will jump up pretty high to get him.  I don't care where he's slotted now, it always happens, so they will have to pay to land him.

4 minutes ago, #12. said:

I've been watching tape, trying to decide who fits best with what Frank wants to do offensively and who is a Ballard type prospect - a physical specimen who can be coached up.  Probably Herbert, but someone will jump up pretty high to get him.  I don't care where he's slotted now, it always happens, so they will have to pay to land him.

I like Herbert in Reich’s offense. Colts are currently picking 15th, but will probably improve on that slightly, 13th maybe.

With that being said, I can see the Colts having an opportunity to select him or possibly Tua, by either staying put or trading up. 

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is what is so maddening about Jacoby. Look at how well he does in the pocket here. Then add the great touch he had on the pascal TD and 2 pt conversion. He shows flashes but isn’t consistent. I do wonder if these things could be improved in the off season if he ends up starting next season. Just needs more consistency.

For those Colts fans who think JB can’t improve with more time. Please go and look at Drew Brees’s numbers with Chargers. With the rights coaches,players around you and motivation, anyone can improve. 

67375C3B-9922-4467-BBC1-CFFA76A3FD01.jpeg

1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

For those Colts fans who think JB can’t improve with more time. Please go and look at Drew Brees’s numbers with Chargers. With the rights coaches,players around you and motivation, anyone can improve. 

67375C3B-9922-4467-BBC1-CFFA76A3FD01.jpeg

JB's issues aren't the same as Breed was.   JB plays the same he did since college.  

There was a recent thread that had his scouting report coming out of college. It was scary to see that it was basically what we see today. He has not improved on his weaknesses at all. Four years to improve something, anything, but he has not. He's still the same. You say that arguing he is who he is, is lazy but the shoe fits and there's a 4 years history to back that up 

Archived