Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

WarGhost21

12 hours ago, TheMiz said:

There was a recent thread that had his scouting report coming out of college. It was scary to see that it was basically what we see today. He has not improved on his weaknesses at all. Four years to improve something, anything, but he has not. He's still the same. You say that arguing he is who he is, is lazy but the shoe fits and there's a 4 years history to back that up 

That is my biggest issue with him.   His faults are apparent and have not been improved upon.  

20 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I just hope the decision process doesn’t drag out longer than it should.  Look how much the Titans have improved since finally cutting bait with Mariota.  And it’s not like Tannehill is a superstar — but he’s clearly faring better than MM did.

My fear is that we’re going to endure a long period of mediocrity just waiting for Jacoby to fulfill the potential some see in him....and that it’ll never materialize.

Jacoby isn’t awful.  But I have a hard time envisioning him leading any team to the SB.

I fear this as well.   We have all seen teams go years with a QB because they are just good enough to give the GM and HC hope.  

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worst case scenario is they do build up the roster, Brissett improves slightly, you win the division and they extend him.  Welcome to QB purgatory.  It's not Manning and heaven, it's not Ryan Leaf and hell.  You have a team and a QB good enough to go 9-7 or 10-6 every year, but never good enough to win anything.  That might work in Cleveland or Jacksonville, but this would be the absolute worst market for that to happen in.  We've had plenty of playoff appearances.  We've made the playoffs 18 of the past 25 years.  Just making the playoffs will not excite this fan base.  This fan base is jaded from the wasting of Luck's career, from only getting one title out of Manning.  Colts fans are looking for rings. Going 9-7 will not fill up LOS.

28 minutes ago, #12. said:

If Luck were to return or if they just wanted to trade Brissett, I can't see a team that would trade for him as a starter, or future starter. Maybe Miami or San Diego as a bridge.  You might find a team needing a backup, but you would probably have to eat some of his salary.

Yup, I don't see anyone coming after JB as a starter. Good and safe back up though.

9 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Here's the post (that we've all seen) that John posted with the 2016 Lindy draft guide of JB that could've been written yesterday. 

The problem is, those same issues with JB exist today.

He still can't look off a safety / stares down receivers

How are his deep throws (timing) that horrendous with his arm? 

Consistently throws behind receivers 

Will only throw to wide open receivers 

Incredibly indecisive - then throws 200 mph trying to fit late throw into an impossible window

I didn't think this was humanly possible, but he's slower than Peyton Manning running the ball

It's amazing how true that still is.  

He is what he is.   I don't see how a team could be comfortable with going into another season with it.   

10 minutes ago, #12. said:

Worst case scenario is they do build up the roster, Brissett improves slightly, you win the division and they extend him.  Welcome to QB purgatory.  It's not Manning and heaven, it's not Ryan Leaf and hell.  You have a team and a QB good enough to go 9-7 or 10-6 every year, but never good enough to win anything.  That might work in Cleveland or Jacksonville, but this would be the absolute worst market for that to happen in.  We've had plenty of playoff appearances.  We've made the playoffs 18 of the past 25 years.  Just making the playoffs will not excite this fan base.  This fan base is jaded from the wasting of Luck's career, from only getting one title out of Manning.  Colts fans are looking for rings. Going 9-7 will not fill up LOS.

You make a good point.   The Colts are one of the top teams talked about when moving a team is discussed.  27th in average attendance at home (31st on the road).  

I think we will see JB start game 1 next year

We may not have the draft capitol to move up to get a blue chip prospect

That means someone to develop

If we DONT go QB, in one of first 3 picks, I will be extremely surprised and also hugely disappointed.

That would tell me that Ballard thinks that

1) JB is the long term answer

(A thought that I can no longer get behind, and I HOPE that he sees what everyone is seeing)

OR

2) CK is the long term answer 

(How would you believe that without giving the guy some game reps?)

Much up in the air, until draft comes around, but I truly expect us to pick up someone to develop as the next QB with one of our two first 2 picks

26 minutes ago, Myles said:

You make a good point.   The Colts are one of the top teams talked about when moving a team is discussed.  27th in average attendance at home (31st on the road).  

In fairness, we're 27th in total numbers, but 14th in % filled (96.8%). 

We have one of the smaller stadiums, so total numbers is never going to look great for us.

From 2008 to 2016 we were top 3 in % filled, and were over 100%.

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think we will see JB start game 1 next year

We may not have the draft capitol to move up to get a blue chip prospect

That means someone to develop

If we DONT go QB, in one of first 3 picks, I will be extremely surprised and also hugely disappointed.

That would tell me that Ballard thinks that

1) JB is the long term answer

(A thought that I can no longer get behind, and I HOPE that he sees what everyone is seeing)

OR

2) CK is the long term answer 

(How would you believe that without giving the guy some game reps?)

Much up in the air, until draft comes around, but I truly expect us to pick up someone to develop as the next QB with one of our two first 2 picks

We have plenty of draft capital, and more than enough to move up for one of the top 3 QBs. 

Our 1st and one of our second round picks, get's us to 4th or 5th pick.

12 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I believe he will improve next year again. Look at his overall improvement. 

2017- Team Record 4-12

2019-Team Record probably 8-8 (that is a 4 game improvement)

2017- 3,098 passing Yards, 13 TD, 7INT, Passer Rating of 82.7, Completion % 58.8

2019- 2,496 passing yards 

(Need to average 201 yards over last 3 games to get 3,100 yards)

18 TD, 6 INT, Passer Rating of 93.2, Completion % 63.2

What I see is marginal improvement even though he's on a much better overall team that he has been on for a few years and took all the training camp reps.  

But really, it's not as much about the stats.  It's about his faults and what has not been improved upon.

From Eaststreet:

"Missing open WRs, high time to throw, struggles with reading Ds, slowness in going through progressions".

12 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I believe he will improve next year again. Look at his overall improvement. 

2017- Team Record 4-12

2019-Team Record probably 8-8 (that is a 4 game improvement)

2017- 3,098 passing Yards, 13 TD, 7INT, Passer Rating of 82.7, Completion % 58.8

2019- 2,496 passing yards 

(Need to average 201 yards over last 3 games to get 3,100 yards)

18 TD, 6 INT, Passer Rating of 93.2, Completion % 63.2

All his stats show improvement. Imagine if he wasn’t playing this year on a bum knee with all his wideouts out. 

All I’m saying is look around the league. There are guys it takes several years to get going. 

Obviously people who matter see something in him. Mentored by Parcells, drafted by Belicheck, traded for by Ballard and backed by Reich. 

you JB fanboys really like to stretch crappy stats to prove your point haha

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We have plenty of draft capital, and more than enough to move up for one of the top 3 QBs. 

Our 1st and one of our second round picks, get's us to 4th or 5th pick.

You think?    I'm not so sure swapping our 14th-17th pick and a second rounder will get us up 10 spots.  

Remember what it took for the Jets to move up from 6 to 3.  They gave up their 1st rounder (6th pick) and 3 second round picks.   Now the Colts do have the extra 2nd rounder from Washington.  

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

In fairness, we're 27th in total numbers, but 14th in % filled (96.8%). 

We have one of the smaller stadiums, so total numbers is never going to look great for us.

From 2008 to 2016 we were top 3 in % filled, and were over 100%.

But we are still one of the handful of teams considered for relocation when it pops up.  If the numbers continue to drop, it could be bad.  

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

You think?    I'm not so sure swapping our 14th-17th pick and a second rounder will get us up 10 spots.  

Remember what it took for the Jets to move up from 6 to 3.  They gave up their 1st rounder (6th pick) and 3 second round picks.   Now the Colts do have the extra 2nd rounder from Washington.  

I believe that’s because of the value of pick # three. 

6 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I believe that’s because of the value of pick # three. 

Oh yes, of course.   But if we have the 15th pick, the value of that will affect as well.  Getting into the top 5 will take allot.   

My guess is that if Ballard is going to trade up, he'll settle for getting to around 10.

7 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I hope the Colts don't ever move. I'll quit watching football all together. 

It's kind of humorous that we have gotten to the point of - If Jacoby it our future QB the Colts will move!    Ha ha.  

I think the small market of Indianapolis makes it crucial for them to make the playoffs frequently.  The fan base needs energized for attendance to stay up.   

35 minutes ago, Myles said:

Currently we're sitting 13th going into the NO game. 

Our 13th + 36th = roughly a 3rd to 6th depending on what calculator you use.

If we packaged our 13th, 36th, and 45th, there's no doubt we could get into that space.

Keep in mind trade value is only a guide. It will take more with some teams not really wanting to move, or less for a team looking to trade back. Timing is everything. 

This is one of the calculators I use. I'ts simple, and is pretty conservative.

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/games/draft-pick-value.php

45 minutes ago, Myles said:

But we are still one of the handful of teams considered for relocation when it pops up.  If the numbers continue to drop, it could be bad.  

The numbers have dropped lately, and it's definitely because of the dip in O (on top of performance). I'm sure Irsay gets the "why". 

I really don't think Irsay would move. He loves Indy. And I doubt he allows the team to stay in a state of mediocrity (offensive) for long. After all, since he took over, we've picked Manning and Luck, and were max+ attendance most of those years. 

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If we packaged our 13th, 36th, and 45th, there's no doubt we could get into that space.

Keep in mind trade value is only a guide. It will take more with some teams not really wanting to move, or less for a team looking to trade back. Timing is everything. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001086506/article/2020-nfl-draft-order-giants-on-bengals-heels-eagles-no-13

We're currently 14th and the Eagles are 13th.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

ESPN had it flip flopped. 13th or 14th shouldn't matter a lot to be honest. We're going to lose this weekend, and the Eagles are going to beat the Skins lol. Let's hope the Chargers beat the Vikes this week to, and we'll be 12th :thmup:

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

ESPN had it flip flopped. 13th or 14th shouldn't matter a lot to be honest. We're going to lose this weekend, and the Eagles are going to beat the Skins lol. Let's hope the Chargers beat the Vikes this week to, and we'll be 12th :thmup:

what would it take to move up back into the 1st to like 16 to 20 from the Washington pick if Love is somehow projected in that range.

I really believe that Ballard and Reich decided to give him two years to prove he’s the guy.  Spend this draft improving the team around him, and if Brissett doesn’t seem like our QB for the foreseeable future, make a move next year.  Still could draft a QB on Day 2 or 3 - Hoyer proved incapable of moving the ball against the worst D in the league this year...

39 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Thanks.

I always used this sight:

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

It has us at 15th currently.   But I don't know if it is accurate.  

40 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The numbers have dropped lately, and it's definitely because of the dip in O (on top of performance). I'm sure Irsay gets the "why". 

I really don't think Irsay would move. He loves Indy. And I doubt he allows the team to stay in a state of mediocrity (offensive) for long. After all, since he took over, we've picked Manning and Luck, and were max+ attendance most of those years. 

As his daughters get more and more involved I wouldn't trust that Irsays love for Indy would keep them here if attendance was not good.  

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

As his daughters get more and more involved I wouldn't trust that Irsays love for Indy would keep them here if attendance was not good.  

Jim isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He's only 60 and loves being the "guy". 

And moving pianos are a pain lol.

I think one or more of his daughters are big IU fans and have their own financial interests tied to other things in the state.

16 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

For those Colts fans who think JB can’t improve with more time. Please go and look at Drew Brees’s numbers with Chargers.

I think it's possible for JB to improve. We've seen enough players in the NFL go from average to outstanding to know that it can happen. 

But statistically speaking, it's pretty rare. NFL QBs are more likely to be stuck at mediocre than to make a significant jump up to really good, let alone great. For every Drew Brees, there are ten Blake Bortles. Shoot, for every Nick Foles, there are ten Brian Hoyers. 

The question isn't whether JB is as good as he ever can/will be. The question, at least for me, is whether you want to rely on continued development and improvement from JB. And to answer that question, you have to actually watch the way he plays, look at his role in the offense, make a legitimate assessment of his strengths and weaknesses, and then make a real projection of what you think he will be. That's different from saying 'this guy went from average to great, why can't Jacoby?' That's just a what-if.

Then, once you come up with a realistic assessment and projection for JB, the next question is whether it's realistic to expect to acquire a player who is better or is projected to be better than your projection of JB, and whether the cost of doing so makes sense. 

Again, this is all different from 'he's still young and in a bad situation, give him a chance!' 

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

cool would be killer if we could get a DT or WR with our 1st jump up from the Was pick to get Love lol

Assuming we do draft a QB, It's really going to be interesting to see

1) who they like more between Love/Herbert/Eason,

2) where Love ends up in the Mocks as time goes on and thru the combine, and

3) if Love or whomever they like is projected to go late 1st round or early second, will the Colts gamble a little, take a DL with the first, and trade up to take a QB (or vise versa).

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Assuming we do draft a QB, It's really going to be interesting to see

1) who they like more between Love/Herbert/Eason,

2) where Love ends up in the Mocks as time goes on and thru the combine, and

3) if Love or whomever they like is projected to go late 1st round or early second, will the Colts gamble a little, take a DL with the first, and trade up to take a QB (or vise versa).

I just don’t think QB is the position that you gamble on trading back to get your “guy”. I don’t think GMs settle for 2nd or 3rd choice if they don’t have to and are more prone to reach to secure a QB they want. Especially, when a lot of teams need a QB.

41 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I just don’t think QB is the position that you gamble on trading back to get your “guy”. I don’t think GMs settle for 2nd or 3rd choice if they don’t have to and are more prone to reach to secure a QB they want. Especially, when a lot of teams need a QB.

I agree to an extent, but knowing Ballard's history, I don't see him gambling much either. 

If though for instance, if Love is their guy, and he's not projected to go until early second, I could see them going DT first IF they have a trade partner to pop back into the mid/late 1st round (17-22nd) for a QB (Love). Or they may be happy with both Love and Eason for instance and feel confident at least one is available later.

I honestly don't care as long as they don't mortgage the future. 

16 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If their isn’t a guy they think is a franchise guy available in the draft I am perfectly fine starting Jacoby until that guy comes along. He wasn’t dealt a great hand this season and some very weird things have happened this year. I am ok seeing if healthy WR next year with some upgrades improves anything. Wentz is supposed to be the guy in Phili and he is having the same issues as Jacoby and they have had the same injury issues. I suggest everyone go read the new colts.com article and the quotes from Marcus Johnson.

I don't care if the Pope likes Jolopy B. He needs to be shown the door. His level of talent can be found at wal mart. 

2 hours ago, Archer said:

I really believe that Ballard and Reich decided to give him two years to prove he’s the guy.  Spend this draft improving the team around him, and if Brissett doesn’t seem like our QB for the foreseeable future, make a move next year.  Still could draft a QB on Day 2 or 3 - Hoyer proved incapable of moving the ball against the worst D in the league this year...

I dont like it but your probably spot on, because they already paid him. Nothing wrong with improving the team. I just hope the coaches come up with better plans that fit personel. Eberflus has got to mix more man coverage and blitzing in to the scheme. And it wouldn't hurt us to had a fb/te player that gives us the ability power run behind our stud line so we can pass and run from power formations so we arent 1 demensional.

3 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I dont like it but your probably spot on, because they already paid him. Nothing wrong with improving the team. I just hope the coaches come up with better plans that fit personel. Eberflus has got to mix more man coverage and blitzing in to the scheme. And it wouldn't hurt us to had a fb/te player that gives us the ability power run behind our stud line so we can pass and run from power formations so we arent 1 demensional.

Add not had.

Archived