Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

WarGhost21

Just read in MMQB today that they believe JB is the QB of the future for the Colts.  They think any talk of the Colts moving on from him his nonsense.  They don't see them drafting a QB in this class and developing him when they have a young JB who they think has improved this year and will continue to do so with more talent around him.  They said he is no Luck but they think he is more than capable of taking them to the SB.  They build a strong case for why they think that is so.  It's a good read.  You can read it on Bleacher Report today under the Colts.  

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just read in MMQB today that they believe JB is the QB of the future for the Colts.  They think any talk of the Colts moving on from him his nonsense.  They don't see them drafting a QB in this class and developing him when they have a young JB who they think has improved this year and will continue to do so with more talent around him.  They said he is no Luck but they think he is more than capable of taking them to the SB.  They build a strong case for why they think that is so.  It's a good read.  You can read it on Bleacher Report today under the Colts.  

i saw that, its one writers opinion 

heres another from BR https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2863797-jacoby-brissett-holding-back-colts-is-present-future-problem-for-indianapolis

this one is not as high on him 

PFF's Steve Palazzolo ranks the QBs in the league:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-quarterback-rankings-entering-week-14-2019

Jacoby is ranked 29th of 30 ranked QBs(there are additional 3 that he says he doesn't have enough info to rank. Only QB ranked lower than Brissett is Panthers' Kyle Allen:

29. JACOBY BRISSETT, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Another quarterback whose stats look better than the on-field performance, Brissett ranks 15th in passer rating at 93.5 but just 29th in overall grade. He has the fourth-lowest percentage of positively-graded throws and his big-time throw percentage ranks just 36th. Those numbers show that the good passing numbers have come from other areas, and that’s backed up by 53.9% of his yards coming after the catch, good for the fourth-highest figure in the league. Brissett has settled in as a solid game manager, but he must improve upon his 70.7 passing grade when throwing 10+ yards down the field (33rd in league). 

I'd probably rank him higher than some of the QBs above him, but the stats paint an ugly picture. 

Does the fact that Jacoby Brissett only had two complete seasons of experience play any role in your opinion about his performance? Not to mention that both seasons were pretty unorthodox seasons to start off with? Would you give him next year, as a make or break season, before moving on?

3 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

I mean to be fair he's playing without his top 3 wideouts during this horrid streak .I will just trust in Ballard as we go into offseason .

good receivers would go to waste with him.  he likes guys like rogers and doyle who the defense leaves wide open 

10 minutes ago, Dacoltsboi said:

Does the fact that Jacoby Brissett only had two complete seasons of experience play any role in your opinion about his performance? Not to mention that both seasons were pretty unorthodox seasons to start off with? Would you give him next year, as a make or break season, before moving on?

No cause since this is his second full year he should be much better than he is showing a lot of improvement instead he is regressing like a brick not the future I think that is officially final.

56 minutes ago, Dacoltsboi said:

No, not at this point. We’ve seen his progression in 2017 (lack there of) and we’ve seen his ceiling in 2019. It’s a much lower ceiling than we expected in my opinion. Outside of hard to drag down in the pocket, what solid QB trait does JB hold? 

42 minutes ago, Dacoltsboi said:

Yes it plays a role.  And I also believe that JB will be the Colts starter next year.

On the flip side, there are a lot of things to look at to analyze a QB and his effectiveness.  And looking at some of those things is what makes me think JB is not going to be a long term answer at QB. 

For example, all year no matter the receivers he has on the field he has hesitated to throw the ball even when a receiver is open.  Also, he has shown some lack of recognition in his presnap reads all season, that is completely independant of the weapons he has on the field.  Or changing the play at the LOS.  Now, I dn't know how often he changes the play but when it's obvious the play he changes to rarely becomes a positive play for the Colts.

I think he will be a starter for another year because I do not think the Colts will spend a 1st round pick on a QB nor trade for a starter.  I think they will draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round with the belief to let him sit for a year before moving to the starting lineup.

2 hours ago, Dacoltsboi said:

Nope 

3 hours ago, Dacoltsboi said:

Unless we acquire a veteran QB in the off-season, odds are Brissett will be the starter next year.

Because it does not appear as if any college QB is ready to step in as a rookie and lead an NFL team next year.   So I’d look for JB to be the guy next year unless Ballard makes a big move either in FA or makes a trade.   I think both are unlikely, but your mileage may vary. 

1 minute ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Listen. I am just as frustrated as everyone. But Jacoby our up 35 points today. Our defense gave up 38. He had some bad throws but he did his job. You can’t blame him for the Hines fumble or the dropped passes. 

Defense gave us 17 of those points.

2 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Listen. I am just as frustrated as everyone. But Jacoby our up 35 points today. Our defense gave up 38. He had some bad throws but he did his job. You can’t blame him for the Hines fumble or the dropped passes. 

The defense scored 7 of them and handed him 10 more.  Jacoby did not do his job.  8 points in the second half, including none in the last quarter and half and 19 of 36 passes isn’t going to cut it.  Not all of those were drops either in fact very few were.

1 minute ago, Orioles22 said:

Defense gave us 17 of those points.

Not really. Defense gave us 7. The pick six. They got us 2 other turnovers. Which produced the other 10 points. I guess I missed the defense quarterbacking those drives. 

this is maddening. Everything seems to be JB faults. FG missed= JB fault, RB fumbles= JB fault. This is insane. 

Just so we're clear.. There's not many people on earth who can play this game really well at the QB position. 

There's a very real chance JB is our guy next year and maybe even longer, just because it's not obvious that there's another guy to be had who'd demonstrably better.

I get the argument for drafting someone, but there's lot's of dud's to be had at a high price there. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. 

Another game where he looked much better in the first 35 minutes or so and then couldn't complete a pass to save his life. He was having a very nice outing in the first half or so, I thought - he completed some long passes, he kept plays alive and made some plays out of structure. This game is hard to give much of the blame to Jacoby, simply because the pass defense and defensive playcalling was the trashiest I've seen recently. It rivaled anything Pagano ever did.

With that said, the inaccuracy in ball placement and continuous rifling of passes without much of any touch put on the ball was part of the reason we couldn't complete some important 3d and 4th downs. On the last couple of drives he threw like... 4-5 badly inaccurate passes and got lucky that at least couple of them didn't get intercepted.

Have to love that he shook off his shyness when it comes to throwing it downfield. He has the arm to do it, wish he had better anticipation and timing, he could be a special thrower if he did... Unfortunately, this is part of the game that rarely if ever improves significantly. 

1 minute ago, Sumo63 said:

Yup, I watched it.

I don’t doubt that you did.  I just don’t want to blame the kicker for something that should have never come to that in the first place.  Not because I am interested in protecting the kicker but I think it’s ignoring a much bigger problem that’s developing.

This is the type of game we're used to winning.  This was the type of erratic back and forth game where if you have an elite QB - Manning or Luck - you win a majority of the time.  If you have a bottom tier QB, you come up short.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t doubt that you did.  I just don’t want to blame the kicker for something that should have never come to that in the first place.  Not because I am interested in protecting the kicker but I think it’s ignoring a much bigger problem that’s developing.

Relax.  It was tongue in cheek humor.  Weve done it all year with vinny.........there are much bigger problems, clearly,  than a replacement kicker in his first week.

1 minute ago, Sumo63 said:

Relax.  It was tongue in cheek humor.  Weve done it all year with vinny.........there are much bigger problems, clearly,  than a replacement kicker in his first week.

I am not mad at you.  Sarcasm doesn’t translate well to a forum and I didn’t pick up on it is all.  I am not attacking you or think you in anyway made a bad post.  I am just stating what I was more upset with than the kicker is all.

Archived