Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
WarGhost21

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, stitches said:

 

Yeah, there were multiple issues with blitz pickups by the RBs yesterday and Brissett had trouble identifying those too and seeking his outlet pass. 

 

I don't think Brissett is top 20. I've been pretty firm on that even from the time we were still winning. IMO the defense did well enough to win yesterday and they've been doing really well for the last 2 months or thereabout. Ultimately the offense and especially the special teams made too many mistakes to hope to win any game really. 

I agree I dont think hes top 20. a top 20 QB wouldnt need a perfect team around him to win. they shouldn't need 9 seconds of a clean pocket or a WR wide open to complete passes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Also, if Wilkins (and/or Hines) is that bad at picking up blitzes, why was Williams on the freakin bench the entire 2nd half?? 

 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Because Williams is even worse that's why. 

 

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Not possible 

 

Oh yeah?

 

ntSbq39.jpg

 

Where's Williams?  Oh, there he is, asking Braden Smith if he got this...  While A. Jackson comes in unabated... hits JB mid throw.

 

x8uvTLi.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed that Cox only had 15 snaps yesterday.  That was probably another reason the pass blocking wasn’t it’s best with the RB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I was at the game yesterday and was specifically watching the coverage that is normally out of screen range.  There were two throws I remember where Jacoby was waiting for the throwing window to open up.  It's like when you're behind a car at a stop sign, waiting for a window to make a turn and needing cars to be a half mile away before he's comfortable making the turn.   I kept yelling "Throw the ball already!"  Very frustrating when I know a guys open and Jacoby doesn't think he's open enough.

 

 

Does this mean my wife won't make a good QB.:lol:

Great analogy.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

 

 

Oh yeah?

 

ntSbq39.jpg

 

Where's Williams?  Oh, there he is, asking Braden Smith if he got this...  While A. Jackson comes in unabated... hits JB mid throw.

 

x8uvTLi.jpg

 

So Wilkins and Williams both suck at blocking. That's not disheartening at all 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I noticed that Cox only had 15 snaps yesterday.  That was probably another reason the pass blocking wasn’t it’s best with the RB.

He's injured I think. I think I read somewhere he's been playing with a broken finger or something... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

There is something to be said for Reich not calling plays to slow them down (can we get a screen?!). 

 

I want more screens. But there was one called in the first half that didn't get thrown, because... I don't know why.

 

Makes me wonder if it's more about JB and less about Reich.

 

Edit: Second play of the third quarter. Just watched it. Should have been thrown.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

I want more screens. But there was one called in the first half that didn't get thrown, because... I don't know why.

 

Makes me wonder if it's more about JB and less about Reich.

It's because it got blown out. The defender beat the blocker before the ball was even thrown and Jacoby took a sack instead of making the pass. 

 

 

 

You can find it at about 0:30-0:35 on this video. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's because it got blown out. The defender beat the blocker before the ball was even thrown and Jacoby took a sack instead of making the pass. 

 

I just watched it. Pascal didn't get a clean block but the play was still there. And it's a one read play.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Superman said:

 

I just watched it. Pascal didn't get a clean block but the play was still there. And it's a one read play.

Yeah, I just rewatched it... this one is makeable. For some reason I remembered him getting beat more cleanly... but this throw can be made. Jacoby is just EXTREMELY conservative. He needs everything to look right before he throws it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I just rewatched it... this one is makeable. For some reason I remembered him getting beat more cleanly... but this throw can be made. 

 

And if you put the ball a little upfield, it might go for big yardage.

 

As it stands, we scored a TD on that drive. But JB pulling that ball down might explain why more screens aren't being called.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Superman said:

 

And if you put the ball a little upfield, it might go for big yardage.

 

As it stands, we scored a TD on that drive. But JB pulling that ball down might explain why more screens aren't being called.

BTW Both Love and Herbert throw a ton of screens... for whatever that is worth. No idea if Reich would call many in his ideal offense. That's where it pays having a zippy arm ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, The Fish said:

Colts fans wouldn't be salty that Luck isn't playing right now if he was a bust. Disappointment that's hard to categorize, sure. Bust? Not even kind of. Bust implies you thought the guy could play and he can't. Luck was/is an awesome QB. Maybe not generational, but even that's kind of grey to me, because I'm 100% sure there's 20 teams or more that'd be happy to have him right now. 

Well...I certainly wouldn’t go as far as to call Luck a bust.  However, I am very comfortable saying that he is overrated by most Colts fans and that his career was disappointing given the high hopes for Lombardis that accompanied his drafting.  The premature ending to his career also lowers his legacy stock.  No rings, injuries, short career.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

 

So Wilkins and Williams both suck at blocking. That's not disheartening at all 

 

 

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

I just watched it. Pascal didn't get a clean block but the play was still there. And it's a one read play.

 

33 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I just rewatched it... this one is makeable. For some reason I remembered him getting beat more cleanly... but this throw can be made. 

 

Same  result either way- {IMO}

 

JB gets spooked by defender here, pulls it back in

 

gyeA6mG.jpg

 

albfdeD.jpg

 

Hines would be tackled at 32/33.  So does JB.

 

albfdeD.jpg

 

JYgyjZn.jpg

 

Should have thrown it and let Pascal?Hines try to do something or take blame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

And if you put the ball a little upfield, it might go for big yardage.

 

Maybe, but Hines was stationary (or even moving back) and not looking to be lead upfield.  But AC could get out front and break it open... possibly. I Think this would be about the time Hines had the ball in his hands-

 

Iveyaky.jpg

 

Quote

As it stands, we scored a TD on that drive. But JB pulling that ball down might explain why more screens aren't being called.

 

No doubt got spooked by defender battling to get around Pascal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

I want more screens. But there was one called in the first half that didn't get thrown, because... I don't know why.

 

Makes me wonder if it's more about JB and less about Reich.

 

Edit: Second play of the third quarter. Just watched it. Should have been thrown.


I didn’t get to see the game live so won’t comment in depth till I get chance to. However my gut feel is we have a FO and coaching staff trying to make the best of the weird situation. It feels unfair to judge Reich when he gets the rug pulled out under him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as Jacoby goes..his play has deteriorated from the first 7 weeks of the season.  He doesn’t look to be the long term answer.  But let’s not dismiss that his poor play has coincided with a knee injury and resultant brace...limiting his mobility, the absence of T.Y. Hilton and Mack for a significant stretch. As well as the loss of other offensive weapons of late...Ebron, Paris, etc.  So while he is not playing well...it’s hard not to be affected by the decimation of our top line offensive options.   I don’t think he is as bad as he has looked lately.  He isn’t healthy and is missing key offensive weapons.  It was going to be a uphill battle for anyone to lead this team to the playoffs with the amount of injuries sustained on the offensive side of the football.  It has almost been unbelievable how bad our luck has been in this regard.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW Both Love and Herbert throw a ton of screens... for whatever that is worth. No idea if Reich would call many in his ideal offense. That's where it pays having a zippy arm ... 

 

I think they both need to tighten up their delivery, as they tend to be kind of big and loopy, but I'll have to look more closely at their throwing motion on screens and slants.

 

To the bolded, that's what I'm wondering. This is conjecture, but I'm thinking JB doesn't like screens unless it's against off coverage. And that's why we see them on third and long, and almost no other time. Seems to fit the pattern of JB not liking most throws unless they're wide open, or directly in front of him where he can fire at full power. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Maybe, but Hines was stationary (or even moving back) and not looking to be lead upfield.  But AC could get out front and break it open... possibly. I Think this would be about the time Hines had the ball in his hands-

 

Iveyaky.jpg

 

 

No doubt got spooked by defender battling to get around Pascal.

 

I think it's a case of a gunshy QB not liking the read on a one read play. JMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:


I didn’t get to see the game live so won’t comment in depth till I get chance to. However my gut feel is we have a FO and coaching staff trying to make the best of the weird situation. It feels unfair to judge Reich when he gets the rug pulled out under him.

 

51QpvOM.jpg

 

I think there was 5% chance of touchdown, 95% chance he gets tackled at the 33, just like JB did.

 

The rest of the pic sequences above.

 

Oh, Pascal ends up on the ground rolling away while defender almost dances with Hines.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:


I didn’t get to see the game live so won’t comment in depth till I get chance to. However my gut feel is we have a FO and coaching staff trying to make the best of the weird situation. It feels unfair to judge Reich when he gets the rug pulled out under him.

 

Related, I've been looking at a lot of plays over the last few weeks, and comparing some of the advanced stats.

 

First impression, we call more play action than I was giving Reich credit for (although I think there's room for more, and in certain situations it has seemed under-used, like second and short against the Texans, especially on the final drive). 

 

Second, the play calling has yielded open receivers in the intermediate-to-deep areas more than the intermediate-to-deep passing numbers would suggest. 

 

Third, still very few screens, especially in neutral down and distance.

 

My impression has been that it's much more about JB than it is about Reich. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I agree I dont think hes top 20. a top 20 QB wouldnt need a perfect team around him to win. they shouldn't need 9 seconds of a clean pocket or a WR wide open to complete passes.

 

I don't think Brissett needs a perfect team around him.  Having all 4 of the guys we thought we would be our top receivers when we broke camp not be injured or ineffective for the lion's share of the season would be nice though.

 

Having our starting RB in last night's game would have been nice.

 

Having the defense not give up 31 points and 150 rushing yards would have helped a lot too.

 

This was not a Brissett failure.  This was a three-phases failure.  The whole team underperformed, not just the favored scapegoat.

 

The fact of the matter is that this was one of Brissett's best games as a passer in terms of yards received and only the third time all year that he threw for over 300 yards. 

 

He threw 2 picks, which is what happens when the run game isn't doing anything and you ask a guy to put the game on his arm, especially without a talented receiver corps.  Luck got burnt the same way more than a few times.

 

Not saying that Brissett actually had a great game.  But it's an outright lie to say he was the reason this game went south.  It was a team "effort."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Superman said:

My impression has been that it's much more about JB than it is about Reich. 

 

Certainly Ballard and Irsay know as well. What is their plan to address it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Certainly Ballard and Irsay know as well. What is their plan to address it?

A 1500 miles flight to Logan, Utah? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

 

I don't think Brissett needs a perfect team around him.  Having all 4 of the guys we thought we would be our top receivers when we broke camp not be injured or ineffective for the lion's share of the season would be nice though.

 

Having our starting RB in last night's game would have been nice.

 

Having the defense not give up 31 points and 150 rushing yards would have helped a lot too.

 

This was not a Brissett failure.  This was a three-phases failure.  The whole team underperformed, not just the favored scapegoat.

 

The fact of the matter is that this was one of Brissett's best games as a passer in terms of yards received and only the third time all year that he threw for over 300 yards. 

 

He threw 2 picks, which is what happens when the run game isn't doing anything and you ask a guy to put the game on his arm, especially without a talented receiver corps.  Luck got burnt the same way more than a few times.

 

Not saying that Brissett actually had a great game.  But it's an outright lie to say he was the reason this game went south.  It was a team "effort."

 

Why do you think this discussion is anymore about the outcome of the Titans game than it was about the outcome of the Broncos game?

 

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Certainly Ballard and Irsay know as well. What is their plan to address it?

 

I know, but I'm not saying. 

 

;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Superman said:

 

I want more screens. But there was one called in the first half that didn't get thrown, because... I don't know why.

 

Makes me wonder if it's more about JB and less about Reich.

 

Edit: Second play of the third quarter. Just watched it. Should have been thrown.

There was a bubble screen that was snuffed out.  Play action bubble screen I think.  It was weird because he faked the handoff, and immediately went to throw and pulled it down because the CB was there to pick it off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

There was a bubble screen that was snuffed out.  Play action bubble screen I think.  It was weird because he faked the handoff, and immediately went to throw and pulled it down because the CB was there to pick it off. 

 

I think it is the same play Superman and I are addressing.  Here's the beginning of the play, the P.A. fake then look outside to Hines.

 

The interesting part is, if there were no P.A. fake, he might have hit Hines before Pascal got beat.  But there was the fake that not only slowed the delivery, but brought up all defenders to the LOS to make sure JB wouldn't escape once he 'pulled it down'.

 

FjOJMy7.jpg

 

Should have rammed it in there to Hines, see what happens...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

okay colts fans. I still believe in Brissett. He is playing hurt and clearly not the same since injury. He is gunshy...but wouldn’t you when throwing to WR you have known for a week. You can say injuries don’t matter and we had more last year. But look at quality over quantity. This year he is playing without Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Rogers, Ebron, Mack. I’m sorry and call me an apologist but that is WR1, WR2, WR3, WR4, TE1, RB1. I know most will say well Luck would make do.. You know what, he might but that is asking a lot. Even Stephen Holder and Zack Keefer admit that is like playing with a JV squad. 

 

When the Colts started 5-2 he got no credit. Then he goes down and we lose the that game and the next. So he is 6-4 as a starter this year. 

 

Finally, people keep saying hey sucked in 2017 and proves something. Let’s put context to that season. He was traded for 2 weeks before the season and was literally learning the playbook throughout the year. So just stop it. 

 

We can live in a world where I like Brissett and think he can be good when he has an NFL offensive unit around him, and you think he sucks and Chad “freakin” Kelly should start. The Colts might draft a Qb but I don’t see if before round 3. They are gonna five Brissett every opportunity to be the guy. 

 

To quote the legend Ric Flair, “Whether you like it or not, learn to love it, because its the best thing going.”

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

okay colts fans. I still believe in Brissett. He is playing hurt and clearly not the same since injury. He is gunshy...but wouldn’t you when throwing to WR you have known for a week. You can say injuries don’t matter and we had more last year. But look at quality over quantity. This year he is playing without Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Rogers, Ebron, Mack. I’m sorry and call me an apologist but that is WR1, WR2, WR3, WR4, TE1, RB1. I know most will say well Luck would make do.. You know what, he might but that is asking a lot. Even Stephen Holder and Zack Keefer admit that is like playing with a JV squad. 

 

When the Colts started 5-2 he got no credit. Then he goes down and we lose the that game and the next. So he is 6-4 as a starter this year. 

 

Finally, people keep saying hey sucked in 2017 and proves something. Let’s put context to that season. He was traded for 2 weeks before the season and was literally learning the playbook throughout the year. So just stop it. 

 

We can live in a world where I like Brissett and think he can be good when he has an NFL offensive unit around him, and you think he sucks and Chad “freakin” Kelly should start. The Colts might draft a Qb but I don’t see if before round 3. They are gonna five Brissett every opportunity to be the guy. 

 

To quote the legend Ric Flair, “Whether you like it or not, learn to love it, because its the best thing going.”

so glad you are not GM that's all I can say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

 

 

He threw 2 picks, which is what happens when the run game isn't doing anything and you ask a guy to put the game on his arm, especially without a talented receiver corps.  Luck got burnt the same way more than a few times.

 

 

But when Hoyer threw his 2 picks in a game he cost us the Pitt game and JB wouldn't have thrown those picks. Just ask Chloe. Now he throws 2 picks and it's"what happens when the run game isn't doing anything and you ask a guy to put the game on his arm, especially without a talented receiver corps." Which is it?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my personal opinion of Brissett. I think he is a very capable QB. I think he is a QB you can build around, but he's not the QB that can carry a team like a Brees Brady Rodgers or Wilson and that's fine. There are only a handful of those kind of QBs. The problem is though, with the game on the line I don't trust him and yes I know it's a small sample size and injuries have been a big factor, but and I know this is not a fair comparison, Andrew can make chicken salad out of chicken you know what and I just don't get that from Brissett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

I think it is the same play Superman and I are addressing.  Here's the beginning of the play, the P.A. fake then look outside to Hines.

 

The interesting part is, if there were no P.A. fake, he might have hit Hines before Pascal got beat.  But there was the fake that not only slowed the delivery, but brought up all defenders to the LOS to make sure JB wouldn't escape once he 'pulled it down'.

 

FjOJMy7.jpg

 

Should have rammed it in there to Hines, see what happens...

The bolded was exactly my reaction to the play once I processed it watching from the stands.  I thought, why are we doing things that work against the screen like that?  So at that point, it's either take the sake or throw the ball and hope for the best.  Neither is ideal, but the picture you posted makes it seem like it wasn't as close as I remembered it.  I think either way, this play is going to be a loss of yards unless Hines makes an unbelievable play.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

But when Hoyer threw his 2 picks in a game he cost us the Pitt game and JB wouldn't have thrown those picks. Just ask Chloe. Now he throws 2 picks and it's"what happens when the run game isn't doing anything and you ask a guy to put the game on his arm, especially without a talented receiver corps." Which is it?

you can't get a straight answer from the JB fan trolls 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BleeedBlue

okay colts fans. I still believe in Brissett. He is playing hurt and clearly not the same since injury. He is gunshy...but wouldn’t you when throwing to WR you have known for a week.

 

Who were these strange WR that JBnever met before last week? Think all were with us all year other than Travis and he was here preseason and most of last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

But when Hoyer threw his 2 picks in a game he cost us the Pitt game and JB wouldn't have thrown those picks. Just ask Chloe. Now he throws 2 picks and it's"what happens when the run game isn't doing anything and you ask a guy to put the game on his arm, especially without a talented receiver corps." Which is it?

Beecause I honestly think that Brissett wouldn't have thrown at least one of the picks against Pit.

 

Because the roster now is even more depleted than it was against Pit.

 

Because of the margin of victory is such that 1 pick more or less makes an actual freaking difference.  Whereas we lost by 2 possessions last night.

 

This is a false dilemma.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Beecause I honestly think that Brissett wouldn't have thrown at least one of the picks against Pit.

 

Because the roster now is even more depleted than it was against Pit.

 

Because of the margin of victory is such that 1 pick more or less makes an actual freaking difference.  Whereas we lost by 2 possessions last night.

 

This is a false dilemma.

the picks he just threw right to the other team they were 150% JBs fault lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Beecause I honestly think that Brissett wouldn't have thrown at least one of the picks against Pit.

And I honestly believe Brissett wouldn't have thrown one of those TDs either

 

 

Because the roster now is even more depleted than it was against Pit.

Hardly.

 

Because of the margin of victory is such that 1 pick more or less makes an actual freaking difference.  Whereas we lost by 2 possessions last night.

You can really rationalize that 1 pick makes an actual freaking  difference but 2 picks doesn't in a 2 possession game?

 

 

This is a false dilemma.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...