Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

WarGhost21

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Flacco and Foles both are paid more than Brissett. Heck, even Alex Smith is paid as much.

Looking at the salaries of the QBs in the league Brissett is at a very reasonable salary. If you look at the cash spent for 2020 Brissett is at the bottom of the league for starters that are not on a rookie contract.

I don't know what point you were trying to make but as far as money you missed a negative point. 

The three QBs resumes dwarf Brissett. 

I don’t know what point you we’re trying to make with that comparison. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

The three QBs resumes dwarf Brissett. 

I don’t know what point you we’re trying to make with that comparison. 

The point I was making is your comment about what Brissett is paid is not a negative issue. 

Think what you want but Brissett is as good as Flacco and Foles. They  may have a super bowl win but talent wise they are no better. 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

The point I was making is your comment about what Brissett is paid is not a negative issue. 

Think what you want but Brissett is as good as Flacco and Foles. They  may have a super bowl win but talent wise they are no better. 

Umm...I would take foles and Flacco over JB. I wouldn't want any of them to be my expected starter going in to a season, unless they are acting as a stop gap.

1 minute ago, TheMiz said:

Umm...I would take foles and Flacco over JB. I wouldn't want any of them to be my expected starter going in to a season, unless they are acting as a stop gap.

Well you might as well get prepared to be bummed out because Brissett is going to be the Colts starter next season. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well you might as well get prepared to be bummed out because Brissett is going to be the Colts starter next season. 

I expect that. But I am hoping for a first or second round QB to be on the roster, and waiting to take over. Which means JB is a stop gap player. If there is not a young promising QB on this roster next season it will be time to start doubting Ballard and Reich...

1 minute ago, TheMiz said:

I expect that. But I am hoping for a first or second round QB to be on the roster, and waiting to take over. Which means JB is a stop gap player. Of there is not a young promising QB on this roster next season it will be time to start doubting Ballard and Reich...

Do I expect Ballard to draft a QB? Yes I do but I highly doubt it will be in the first two rounds. 

I think a defensive player and a WR come before a QB. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm higher on Ballard's drafting than anyone on this forum, but I will be highly upset if we don't either give Kelly a chance to play or don't draft a QB to compete with Brissett or sign one in FA. We can't go into next year with what we currently have at the QB position.

I think that is a safe bet.

i expect some change.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Do I expect Ballard to draft a QB? Yes I do but I highly doubt it will be in the first two rounds. 

I think a defensive player and a WR come before a QB. 

DL and QB are the teams biggest needs. I agree the WR position needs to be addressed but QB is a far more impactful position.

22 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Flacco and Foles both are paid more than Brissett. Heck, even Alex Smith is paid as much.

Looking at the salaries of the QBs in the league Brissett is at a very reasonable salary. If you look at the cash spent for 2020 Brissett is at the bottom of the league for starters that are not on a rookie contract.

I don't know what point you were trying to make but as far as money you missed a negative point. 

His cap hit next season...has him at #11 among QBs. Flacco will be released...and Foles is likely traded.

I just have to disagree...having JB at a $21.5M cap hit next year...is not at all reasonable. 

20 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

DEN has been making bad to awful decisions at QB since Manning left. I don't think we want to be using them as a comp.

1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I know the fan base is very divided on the Quarterback position and the team right now...

Some like JB, some really dislike him

Some think we could build around him and some think we should immediately move on from him for Chad Kelly, lol. 

Some see future franchise quarterbacks in the draft (Love, Hurts, Eason) and some don’t. 

Can we just all agree that we trust whatever decision Ballard and Reich make? If they draft a QB or stick with JB. They are the professional and have shown they know what they are doing. 

TRUST IN Ballard and 

If u would have told me that we would b 6 and 6 after losing Luck, I would b satisfied. However, my biggest disappointment is the regression of the O line. I don't think they r playing at the same level as last year.  Their level of play has been a problem since pre-season. The special teams is a mess. They may need to look at replacing those 2 coaching positions.  

9 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

What?

he’s not getting that much, is he?

Yep...that's his cap hit. They gave ~$28M more (essentially the Franchise Tag) when Luck retired...and put some of the money into this year. His dead cap hit is $12.5M...but I think if traded (before his roster bonus is due)...he would have a$5.5M dead cap hit.

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

His cap hit next season...has him at #11 among QBs. Flacco will be released...and Foles is likely traded.

I just have to disagree...having JB at a $21.5M cap hit next year...is not at all reasonable. 

Middle of the pack league-wide is understandable i guess.

Its only for 2020, gave is time to evaluate JB, gave some stability under the circumstances (luck retiring), and doesnt really affect our cap.

Even bad QBs get paid in this league.  Thankfully Ballard didnt tie us long term.

4 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Middle of the pack league-wide is understandable i guess.

Its only for 2020, gave is time to evaluate JB, gave some stability under the circumstances (luck retiring), and doesnt really affect our cap.

Even bad QBs get paid in this league.  Thankfully Ballard didnt tie us long term.

It would be higher if they hadn't put a chunk of it into this season. Will still likely be a top 10 cap hit once April rolls around (Flacco released, Foles traded). But there are a handful of guys on rookie deals. 

It's definitely not close to the worst QB deal out there...and it's one year...but I just don't care for using that much cap space on JB. However...I am much more concerned about 2021 and beyond. If the Colts give JB something like 4/$100M...I don't really know what I would do...haha.

2 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I know the fan base is very divided on the Quarterback position and the team right now...

Some like JB, some really dislike him

Where have you been for the last two weeks?

Even the most staunch supporters of Brissett (like myself) have been disillusioned over the last two games with the season on the line.

Until the Texans game I thought Brissett did a good job of throwing to open receivers and not taking chances. But in that game he missed so many wide open receivers that it was mind boggling to try and understand what in the heck was wrong with him.

Last week  against the Titans he destroyed the one thing he still had going for him, and that is not making foolish throws.

The last two games Brissett has showed me that he is not mentally tough like I thought he was. He collapsed under pressure and cost the Colts the season.

I don't know anyone who defends him now. 

7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

He gets $16M...but the cap hit is $21.5M (he already got the $11M signing bonus...but the second half of it is prorated into next year's cap hit). 

He essentially got $12M extra in his pockets for this season (even though he was under contract)...right after Luck retired. Very nice of the Colts to do that.

20 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

If, the Colts select a QB in the 1st Rd, I honestly don’t know how they keep Brissett with that salary. Does he bring anymore tutelage or mentoring for a season, than Reich and Hoyer? Will Brissett be disgruntled knowing this guy was drafted to replace him? 

4 minutes ago, MPStack said:

If, the Colts select a QB in the 1st Rd, I honestly don’t know how they keep Brissett with that salary. Does he bring anymore tutelage or mentoring for a season, than Reich and Hoyer? Will Brissett be disgruntled knowing this guy was drafted to replace him? 

I'm sure brissett would be disgruntled. But one thing about him that I'm sure no one would argue is he seems like an extremely high character dude, that would support the team and not cause a problem.

7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I think its fine for a year.  Especially in our cap position.

18 minutes ago, egg said:

Where have you been for the last two weeks?

Even the most staunch supporters of Brissett (like myself) have been disillusioned over the last two games with the season on the line.

Until the Texans game I thought Brissett did a good job of throwing to open receivers and not taking chances. But in that game he missed so many wide open receivers that it was mind boggling to try and understand what in the heck was wrong with him.

Last week  against the Titans he destroyed the one thing he still had going for him, and that is not making foolish throws.

The last two games Brissett has showed me that he is not mentally tough like I thought he was. He collapsed under pressure and cost the Colts the season.

I don't know anyone who defends him now. 

i dont defend him but i would like to see what he can do with better receivers. i dont buy this forums critics who say he cant throw receivers open, cant go through progressions and so on. i dont think there are any elite qbs in this draft but if ballard does not think jb is good he will work a deal to get a proven talent. he may find a sleeper in the lower rounds to groom or try to groom kelly.

52 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Yeah...it's good to have options...but if they get the guy early they truly want...I wonder if that opens things up. Obviously, they aren't keeping JB and Hoyer next year. JB's cap hit lowers in a trade scenario...so I think they might be able to get a pick of sorts.

Edit: regarding JB being disgruntled...it's hard to know. I would think giving him money back in September took care of those potential issues. But it's funny how some act as if JB would stick around next season...on another 1-2 year deal. That won't happen.

54 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If u would have told me that we would b 6 and 6 after losing Luck, I would b satisfied. However, my biggest disappointment is the regression of the O line. I don't think they r playing at the same level as last year.  Their level of play has been a problem since pre-season. The special teams is a mess. They may need to look at replacing those 2 coaching positions.  

the o-line is doing good at run blocking but has regressed in pass protection, maybe because our te or rb cant pick up a blitzer

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Yeah...it's good to have options...but if they get the guy early they truly want...I wonder if that opens things up. Obviously, they aren't keeping JB and Hoyer next year. JB's cap hit lowers in a trade scenario...so I think they might be able to get a pick of sorts.

If, they take a QB in Rd 1, cut bait with Brissett and save the 9M.  That money would be better utilized some place else on the roster. 

10 minutes ago, MPStack said:

If, they take a QB in Rd 1, cut bait with Brissett and save the 9M.  That money would be better utilized some place else on the roster. 

I agree...if they have decided that he is not the answer...that $9M could get them a legit player at a few different positions...or a good way towards one year of an impact FA...or even one year of an extension for AC.

But I can see why they might keep him...under the circumstances...especially if that rookie isn't ready to start.

I think they might actually be able to save more...but I don't know how his roster bonus works (if they can trade it). If they can trade that roster bonus...they would save $16M...and it's a no-brainer. At even $15M...I think it's likely some rebuilding or QB-needy team would take him for a late pick...as opposed to bidding on someone like Teddy on a long-term deal.

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I agree...if they have decided that he is not the answer...that $9M could get them a legit player at a few different positions...or a good way towards one year of an impact FA...or even one year of an extension for AC.

But I can see why they might keep him...under the circumstances...especially if that rookie isn't ready to start.

I think they might actually be able to save more...but I don't know how his roster bonus works (if they can trade it). If they can trade that roster bonus...they would save $16M...and it's a no-brainer. At even $15M...I think it's likely some rebuilding or QB-needy team would take him for a late pick...as opposed to bidding on someone like Teddy on a long-term deal.

starting one of the rookie qbs in this years draft would be another wasted season, all are projects that will take time to develop if they ever do. 

27 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

i dont defend him but i would like to see what he can do with better receivers. i dont buy this forums critics who say he cant throw receivers open, cant go through progressions and so on. i dont think there are any elite qbs in this draft but if ballard does not think jb is good he will work a deal to get a proven talent. he may find a sleeper in the lower rounds to groom or try to groom kelly.

I am with you on that....but the last two weeks was not about those things. It was about missing wide open receivers and not protecting the ball. The two things I thought were his strengths.

I've not completely given up on him. We'll see how he does the last four games.

23 minutes ago, egg said:

I am with you on that....but the last two weeks was not about those things. It was about missing wide open receivers and not protecting the ball. The two things I thought were his strengths.

I've not completely given up on him. We'll see how he does the last four games.

One of the things some of his critics have been all over him about all year is the amount of yards he throws for. What gets lost in last weeks loss is he threw for 319 yards but nobody has brought that up once. Strange, and when a QB throws for a lot of yards they tend to throw an INT or even 2 which JB did trying to make something happen.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One of the things some of his critics have been all over him about all year is the amount of yards he throws for. What gets lost in last weeks loss is he threw for 319 yards but nobody has brought that up once. Strange, and when a QB throws for a lot of yards they tend to throw an INT or even 2 which JB did trying to make something happen.

That's why I posted after Sundays loss that the "dreaded game manager" won the game.

Tannahil had 180 yds but no INTs.

Anyway, Brissett's two INTs were so bad, it's going to take a lot of good play from him for me to forget those two throws.

4 minutes ago, egg said:

That's why I posted after Sundays loss that the "dreaded game manager" won the game.

Tannahil had 180 yds but no INTs.

Anyway, Brissett's two INTs were so bad, it's going to take a lot of good play from him for me to forget those two throws.

The last INT he threw was deep down field and like a Punt. That 1st one was bad though, I agree. He should've just thrown that away.

11 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

What?

he’s not getting that much, is he?

Of the Contract, only $7M is guaranteed in 2020, and it's the roster bonus.

2020 Contract

$7M 2020 Roster Bonus (guaranteed)

$6M Base (game checks)

$5.5M Pro rated signing bonus (likely paid per game)

$2M in per game "active" Roster Bonus checks ($2M/16 per game)

$1M in other potential bonus (tied to performance goal IIRC)

Jacoby Brissett signed a one year extension with the Indianapolis Colts on Sept 3, 2019.  The contract is worth $30 million in total paper value, and $27,975,000 in new money.  Brissett received a $11 million signing bonus and guaranteed $2 million base salary in 2019.  Brissett can earn up to $2 million ($146,000 per game active) in roster bonuses.  However this amount is treated as a signing bonus since the contract was signed during the preseason, the $2 million will be pro-rated over two years.  On the 3rd day of the 2020 league year Brissett will earn a $7 million roster bonus, which became guaranteed on September 6, 2019.  Brissett can also earn another $2 million ($146,00 per game active) in roster bonuses.

Archived