Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

WarGhost21

5 hours ago, #12. said:

If Luck were to return or if they just wanted to trade Brissett, I can't see a team that would trade for him as a starter, or future starter. Maybe Miami or San Diego as a bridge.  You might find a team needing a backup, but you would probably have to eat some of his salary.

I can tell you one thing.  I hope we find out.  I can't see a team building around him.  It seems farcical.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Look how much the Titans have improved since finally cutting bait with Mariota.  And it’s not like Tannehill is a superstar — but he’s clearly faring better than MM did.

And just look how many years it took Ryan to develop to what he is today.

Most teams aren't built to support a rookie QB.  I think the Colts are built about as well as we could hope to bring in a rookie.  The OL hasn't been this good in a decade or more, the RBs, TY, and Doyle at the least provide versatility and play making as well as a veteran presence, they've got an offensive-minded HC for support, and a D that usually keeps the team in games.  And that doesn't get into how much cap space the Colts have next year to fill in blanks and provide even more toys. 

I think we've all seen what JB is, what he's capable of doing.  And since JB is under contract anyway, and the results on the field will "allow" the Colts to draft a QB without anyone questioning why, I'd suggest they have to.  You can't go from discussing being a contender to ending up 6-10 or 7-9 when the cause, what changed is QB, and not look for one.  All teams have injuries.  All teams win games they shouldn't, and lose some that are head scratchers.  The Colts lost a dynamic QB.   And need to find one again.  

Lastly, GMs and coaches tend to get to pick the QB they're going to roll with - Ballard and Reich didn't, and rightfully so with Luck.  But for anyone to think that those two are going to be just fine putting their careers on the line for JB, you're crazy.  They'll go find a QB at some point.  And in a league that's about immediate results, I'd think that will happen sooner rather than later.

18 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If their isn’t a guy they think is a franchise guy available in the draft I am perfectly fine starting Jacoby until that guy comes along. He wasn’t dealt a great hand this season and some very weird things have happened this year. I am ok seeing if healthy WR next year with some upgrades improves anything. Wentz is supposed to be the guy in Phili and he is having the same issues as Jacoby and they have had the same injury issues. I suggest everyone go read the new colts.com article and the quotes from Marcus Johnson.

I would put the odds in favor of Jacoby as the starter next year . With what will be a mid range pick and qbs jumping up draft boards very likely we will either draft a guy to sit a year or look at one of the studs in the following draft . 

15 minutes ago, B~Town said:

I would put the odds in favor of Jacoby as the starter next year . With what will be a mid range pick and qbs jumping up draft boards very likely we will either draft a guy to sit a year or look at one of the studs in the following draft . 

The more I think about the way Ballard has always approached the draft and players, the more I believe that this is what will happen. 

SPOT ON by you

25 minutes ago, B~Town said:

Yep, and watch the arm chair GM's go ballistic. 

30 minutes ago, B~Town said:

14 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

The more I think about the way Ballard has always approached the draft and players, the more I believe that this is what will happen. 

SPOT ON by you

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Yep, and watch the arm chair GM's go ballistic. 

So it looks like the majority of fans are moving away from JB, the attendance is suffering, the media/reporters are starting to publish the negatives, and the mock drafts are starting to trend with Indy taking a QB.... 

So what happens if Ballard does choose to take a QB? Will the fan club go ballistic?

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

So it looks like the majority of fans are moving away from JB, the attendance is suffering, the media/reporters are starting to publish the negatives, and the mock drafts are starting to trend with Indy taking a QB.... 

So what happens if Ballard does choose to take a QB? Will the fan club go ballistic?

I think some will.  But in the end it all depended on wins and losses.  If JB comes out next much improved and the colts go 11-5, then everyone will calm down.  If he sucks and they go 8-8 or 7-9 again, then Ballard knows he has to move on and grab a QB in a very deep class next year.

6 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I think some will.  But in the end it all depended on wins and losses.  If JB comes out next much improved and the colts go 11-5, then everyone will calm down.  If he sucks and they go 8-8 or 7-9 again, then Ballard knows he has to move on and grab a QB in a very deep class next year.

But my question was/is, if Ballard does draft a QB (who displaces JB), will the JB supporters go ballistic?

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

But my question was/is, if Ballard does draft a QB (who displaces JB), will the JB supporters go ballistic?

Well the latest poll indicated there were 5 diehard, “go for broke with Jacoby fans” versus a whole bunch of fans desiring a change at QB. The Jacoby fan club is smaller, by each game. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

My take on JB is I am not sure if he is the future or not. I think he can be above average and win a lot of games for us with a solid team around him. Just not sure if he would ever win us a SB. We have seen average to above average QB's win SB's as in Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Joe Flacco, and Nick Foles. It can happen. I have came to the conclusion we still should draft a QB in round 1 or 2 because he may end up being really good. Having said that we can draft a QB every year and the chances of anyone being like Peyton are 1%, like Luck 10%. So I wouldn't hold out hope whoever we draft will be that much better than JB. 

Regarding Chad Kelly, jury is still out on him with me. Great college stats, good talent but his leadership is suspect. Our faces of the franchise have been Peyton and Luck over the last 20 years, not sure Kelly fits that bill.

23 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I would say, as  JB supporter, I would be okay with it.  I have watched tape on Love, Eason, Hurts and Mond. 

I wouldn't hate if we did draft a qb.  I am a Colts fan and whoever is under center will get my full support.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My take on JB is I am not sure if he is the future or not. I think he can be above average and win a lot of games for us with a solid team around him. Just not sure if he would ever win us a SB. We have seen average to above average QB's win SB's as in Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Joe Flacco, and Nick Foles. It can happen. I have came to the conclusion we still should draft a QB in round 1 or 2 because he may end up being really good. Having said that we can draft a QB every year and the chances of anyone being like Peyton are 1%, like Luck 10%. So I wouldn't hold out hope whoever we draft will be that much better than JB. 

Regarding Chad Kelly, jury is still out on him with me. Great college stats, good talent but his leadership is suspect. Our faces of the franchise have been Peyton and Luck over the last 20 years, not sure Kelly fits that bill.

IMO, and I know a lot of folks won't agree, but I think rookie QB success hinges not only on talent, but perhaps more the situation (team, scheme, roster, FO) that a rook lands in. Sure, some are so talented they overcome anything (and some won't succeed anywhere), but I think many QBs either flourish or whither depending on where they land. For instance, do you think Brady would end up being who we know now if he ended up anywhere else?

I say all this because I think Indy in it's current status (OL, FO, environment) is a lot more conducive, and actually increases the success potential of a QB. I do agree Manning is a 1%, but I think we can get close to Luck if not better better, more than 10% of the time. Every year I see a great prospect get ruined by landing with a bad team, and every year it seems like we see a not so great prospect play pretty well who landed in a good spot.

I think the 2020 class is actually pretty good, and I see 4-5 guys that could be quality QBs. I think 1 or 2 of them stand a good chance to be as good as Luck if they land in the right place.

As far as Kelly is concerned, I don't care about a squeaky clean image to be honest. As long as he doesn't screw up and doesn't act a fool, I'd be fine with him, and don't care about his past or image. I really don't want to be looked at as the "nice" franchise.

17 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I would say, as  JB supporter, I would be okay with it.  I have watched tape on Love, Eason, Hurts and Mond. 

I wouldn't hate if we did draft a qb.  I am a Colts fan and whoever is under center will get my full support.

I don't think any of the "draft a new QB" crowd will cheer for another team if we don't draft a QB come April.

47 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Fans wills always go ballistic . If that is the case who in this draft will be there with our pick is the bigger question . I dont see any instant surefire starters that will be around and the cost to move to the top of the draft will be enormous. Why I see Brisket starting with a qb being groomed a year or waiting for the next draft loaded with qb talent .

10 minutes ago, B~Town said:

Fans wills always go ballistic . If that is the case who in this draft will be there with our pick is the bigger question . I dont see any instant surefire starters that will be around and the cost to move to the top of the draft will be enormous. Why I see Brisket starting with a qb being groomed a year or waiting for the next draft loaded with qb talent .

I think there is a very high chance Love is there at the middle pick. We could move up for Herbert trading our 1st and one of our seconds. We have the capital to do whatever we want. 

I'd say Love, Herbert, Eason, and maybe Hurtz has much higher upside than JB, and is much farther along at this stage than JB was his last year in college. 

43 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, and I know a lot of folks won't agree, but I think rookie QB success hinges not only on talent, but perhaps more the situation (team, scheme, roster, FO) that a rook lands in. Sure, some are so talented they overcome anything (and some won't succeed anywhere), but I think many QBs either flourish or whither depending on where they land. For instance, do you think Brady would end up being who we know now if he ended up anywhere else?

I say all this because I think Indy in it's current status (OL, FO, environment) is a lot more conducive, and actually increases the success potential of a QB. I do agree Manning is a 1%, but I think we can get close to Luck if not better better, more than 10% of the time. Every year I see a great prospect get ruined by landing with a bad team, and every year it seems like we see a not so great prospect play pretty well who landed in a good spot.

43 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think the 2020 class is actually pretty good, and I see 4-5 guys that could be quality QBs. I think 1 or 2 of them stand a good chance to be as good as Luck if they land in the right place.

As far as Kelly is concerned, I don't care about a squeaky clean image to be honest. As long as he doesn't screw up and doesn't act a fool, I'd be fine with him, and don't care about his past or image. I really don't want to be looked at as the "nice" franchise.

There will never be another Peyton so we do agree on the 1% chance of landing something like that. I said 10% on landing someone Luck, perhaps that may have been a bit low but I would say a 20% chance is pushing it. We would have to get really lucky a 3rd time and hope whoever we draft ends up like Wilson or Mahomes. That is doubtful though. 

Regarding Tom Brady I will say this, he has made the most out of his situation and accomplished 6 SB wins. I agree with your concept overall though, if a rookie QB goes to a good situation (like Wilson did) they have a better chance of succeeding. I love our GM, like our Coach, love our O.line but not happy with our WR core or our defense. Our defense has played great at times than has looked bad like this past Sunday.

39 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I couldn't agree more.  Who gets drafted where is so important to that QB's chances for success for all the reasons you mentioned above.   I think the Colts would be one of those franchises where a rookie would develop quickly and could wind up starting sooner rather than later.  Regarding Kelly none of us know anything about his leadership abilities.  He certainly looked in command of the team in the limited time we saw him play.  He's been squeaky clean this year off the field so maybe he has settled down.  We will see I guess.  Colin Cowherd had an interesting segment on his show today.  He talked about the success rate in the NFL of QB's coming out of Major programs with 4 and 5 star recruits versus the mid tier programs and the 3 star recruits.  The mid tier programs won in his analysis and this year he actually compared Burroughs to Love as an example of a power school to a mid tier school.  Interesting listen if you can find it.  He too feels where they land will determine how successful they become.  I have a feeling Love is going to get a lot of love leading up to the draft.  If he truly turns out to be Ballards guy I believe he is going to have to go out and get him.  JMO.

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There will never be another Peyton so we do agree on the 1% chance of landing something like that. I said 10% on landing someone Luck, perhaps that may have been a bit low but I would say a 20% chance is pushing it. We would have to get really lucky a 3rd time and hope whoever we draft ends up like Wilson or Mahomes. That is doubtful though. 

Regarding Tom Brady I will say this, he has made the most out of his situation and accomplished 6 SB wins. I agree with your concept overall though, if a rookie QB goes to a good situation (like Wilson did) they have a better chance of succeeding. I love our GM, like our Coach, love our O.line but not happy with our WR core or our defense. Our defense has played great at times than has looked bad like this past Sunday.

I know you'll hate this, but I think a new QB+TY+Campbell+Fountain+Pascal+3Ror4R Draft WR+Doyle+MAC+Hines will be a fantastic pass catching core to go along with our strong OL and RBs. If they resign Funch, ok, but not really needed. And I think improving the passing O will improve both the running game, and make it much easier on the D.

Assuming Burrow is not an option... Tua, Herbert, Love, Eason, and Hurtz are all as good or better than JB at this same stage (last year in college). And all except Love came from big time schools (as opposed to NC State) and had better W/L ratio. Might not be Luck level, but I think a much higher ceiling than what we have right now. If Herbert and Love are coachable, I think both could do very well in Indy.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I know you'll hate this, but I think a new QB+TY+Campbell+Fountain+Pascal+3Ror4R Draft WR+Doyle+MAC+Hines will be a fantastic pass catching core to go along with our strong OL and RBs. If they resign Funch, ok, but not really needed. And I think improving the passing O will improve both the running game, and make it much easier on the D.

Assuming Burrow is not an option... Tua, Herbert, Love, Eason, and Hurtz are all as good or better than JB at this same stage (last year in college). And all except Love came from big time schools (as opposed to NC State) and had better W/L ratio. Might not be Luck level, but I think a much higher ceiling than what we have right now. If Herbert and Love are coachable, I think both could do very well in Indy.

I am worried TY will have trouble staying healthy the rest of his career. He seemed a little dinged up last year and this year really dinged up. We need another WR IMO that can make plays down the field but TY's don't grow on tree's. Love will probably be there when we draft in round 1 so maybe Ballard rolls the dice and draft's him?

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am worried TY will have trouble staying healthy the rest of his career. He seemed a little dinged up last year and this year really dinged up. We need another WR IMO that can make plays down the field but TY's don't grow on tree's. Love will probably be there when we draft in round 1 so maybe Ballard rolls the dice and draft's him?

I'd like to see Fountain get a chance at Z. Between Fountain/TY/Campbell at slot and Z, I think they'll be fine. I'm more concerned with X. I'm not high on Funchess at X, so I'd like a well rounded one that can stretch the field too.

28 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

What’s your point...that teams should suffer years of mediocrity waiting for development that may never come?

That’s exactly what the Titans did with Mariota.  It was a mistake.

The Bengals are still doing it with Dalton.  

In the NFL, if your team, outside of QB, is good, do not wait on hope that a QB will change and become good.  

The Colts have the best all around team that they have had in several years.   Lets not rest in QB purgatory.  

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

The Bengals are still doing it with Dalton.  

In the NFL, if your team, outside of QB, is good, do not wait on hope that a QB will change and become good.  

The Colts have the best all around team that they have had in several years.   Lets not rest in QB purgatory.  

The only issue I have with this is the Dalton comparison. He was actually really good when surrounded by talent. His record as a starter is 71-55. When he had a stretch of years from 2011-2015 where he was 52-27 and consistently throwing for 3,000+ yards and 20+ TDS. Don’t know about you but no would take that. 

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

What’s your point...that teams should suffer years of mediocrity waiting for development that may never come?

That’s exactly what the Titans did with Mariota.  It was a mistake.

My point is how many years for Tannehill to become a player that you noted was worth getting, yet Brissett has not a had a year where he wasn't getting beat in the ground, or throwing to a weak WR group. I was comparing your example and his opportunities, to the guy on the Colts you want replaced...and his opportunities. Do you thank Ryan and Jacoby have gotten the same shot at becoming the guy?

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

We have plenty of draft capital, and more than enough to move up for one of the top 3 QBs. 

Our 1st and one of our second round picks, get's us to 4th or 5th pick.

I see it as TWO top QBs 

Tua and Joe

There is something about Herbert that doesnt fit IMHO

1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

The only issue I have with this is the Dalton comparison. He was actually really good when surrounded by talent. His record as a starter is 71-55. When he had a stretch of years from 2011-2015 where he was 52-27 and consistently throwing for 3,000+ yards and 20+ TDS. Don’t know about you but no would take that. 

Actually his record is 69-59.  Career rating under 88.   He was OK, but OK leads to a .500 record.

6 hours ago, MPStack said:

Well the latest poll indicated there were 5 diehard, “go for broke with Jacoby fans” versus a whole bunch of fans desiring a change at QB. The Jacoby fan club is smaller, by each game. 

There were only 4 at the last meeting I went to.......

I left early to get chips.........

8 hours ago, Four2itus said:

My point is how many years for Tannehill to become a player that you noted was worth getting, yet Brissett has not a had a year where he wasn't getting beat in the ground, or throwing to a weak WR group. I was comparing your example and his opportunities, to the guy on the Colts you want replaced...and his opportunities. Do you thank Ryan and Jacoby have gotten the same shot at becoming the guy?

If you read my posts carefully, you will see that I have not said we should replace Jacoby.  What I said is that Ballard shouldn’t wait years to cut bait, if in fact that’s what he decides to do.

Am I sold on him?  No.  But I think he probably deserves some more time.  We’ve had a ton of key injuries this year, etc.  I just hope this doesn’t drag out for an extended period of time.

That said, genuine franchise QBs don’t exactly grow on trees.

8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I see it as TWO top QBs 

Tua and Joe

There is something about Herbert that doesnt fit IMHO

Herbert is growing on me a bit, so is Eason as I watch more film.

I think Love might have the highest ceiling, but lower floor than Burrow, Tua, and Eason.

Not sold on Tua even without all the injury concerns. With the injury history, I'd pass unless he's available late 1st or early 2nd. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Not sold on Tua even without all the injury concerns. With the injury history, I'd pass unless he's available late 1st or early 2nd. 

I like Tua because he has a notably quick release, and is very accurate

He is also a leader that CB seems to covet

8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I like Tua because he has a notably quick release, and is very accurate

He is also a leader that CB seems to covet

IDK. He's got a bit of a hitch to his throws at time, and not to good on shallow sideline throws. He's struggled to ID coverage rotations at times (most all college kids do) and has struggled vs top teams. I can live with most of that, but what really bothers me are the injuries, and his size does concern me a bit.

Archived