Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballards best draft 2024

mirobi48

11 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I would say right now, it may already qualify as Ballard's 3rd best draft. Can it beat out 2018 and 2020? We'll see. It has the potential too though. 

2018 = Nelson and Maniac

2020 = Taylor and Pittman

2024 = Latu and Mitchell

-all 3 very solid.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Every year I throw a Draft Day Party at my home. It's always a spectacle of sorts. Football fans galore, Hold Em', Pool, Darts, Cornhole, and Hot tubbing along with plenty of food and adult beverages.

When the Raiders were on the Clock and Bowers was still there, I was ecstatic as I just knew that Ballard was going to pull the trigger and get one of the top 4 skill position players at top end of the draft. It never happened and I went off. To say I was mad would be an understatement. You see, for years I, like others, have jumped Ballard's ship over the fact that he is not aggressive enough and here was another example staring us all in the face yet again. The Latu kid is going to be a really good player but those who know me, knows I want skill players that consistently score points. My guests felt my pain and so did my head...Ha!!

A bottle of Makers and the final draft pick later, I went to bed really ticked and toasty. 

The next day was a busy hangover filled day and as I finally got to stop and settle in to watch the draft, headache and all, I'm steaming that Ballard better take a wideout and then it happens. He trades back. He trades back just behind the Steelers and flashbacks hit me when this happened a couple years ago, and the Steelers snagged Pickens right before us and we got Pierce... YAY!! :sarcasm:

The picks come off the board and the Steelers are closing fast and knowing they traded away Dionte tells me they're going wideout again and we are going to lose out on Mitchell. They take the Center and Ballard makes the pick and my TV was saved from whatever was in reach that I could throw. I don't know if he was lucky or just lucky, but he got it done and for that I'm a happy camper as I think Mitchell is going to be a stud and hopefully will turn out to be the WR1 we desperately need. Plus, that's my name so I will get to have my name on my jersey this season...Ha!!

On another cool side note my company has been given the opportunity to work with the Commanders this coming season. We did the Draft event on Saturday at the National Harbor and from what I here, will have the opportunity to also vend at Fedex in the fall. We already are Live Nation vendors locally in the tri-state and I have been trying to get in with the Commanders for a couple years now. So stoked to have a foot in the door on the NFL arena. 

All in all, a GREAT draft weekend for Ballard and in general. 

Go Colts!!

It was a little surprising that the raiders selected Bowers when they spent pick 35 in last year's draft on M Mayer. I thought they would go with the top CB. Somehow , this at least appears to have worked out really well. Figuring the Colts would go with 1 offensive and 1 defensive player in the first 2 rounds , we came away with arguably the 12th and 28th (the are approximate.... naturally ) rated prospects with picks 15 and 46. Plus we picked up Gould and Simpson. 

47 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2018 = Nelson and Maniac

2024 = Latu and Mitchell

-all 3 very solid.

Looks like you’ve conclusively proved Ballard is only good drafting in even years.  So he should let Dodds/Brown run the draft in odd number years!    :peek:

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Looks like you’ve conclusively proved Ballard is only good drafting in even years.  So he should let Dodds/Brown run the draft in odd number years!    :peek:

He must be a San Francisco Giant fan lol. haha 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2018 = Nelson and Maniac

2024 = Latu and Mitchell

-all 3 very solid.

2018- Nelson, Smith, Darius might still be hard to beat. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, csmopar said:

2018- Nelson, Smith, Darius might still be hard to beat. 

Most definitely. Also have Lewis and Franklin in that class.  Even though Leonard fell off, still getting a lot of production with 3 starters and a good backup. 

• Like 1

If all things go according to plan and Anthony develops into a franchise QB, then I'd say the '23 draft will be the single most important draft of Ballard's career. 

-Richardson, Downs, Brents, Rush, Scott. 

Most of that draft class is crucial to the success of the team going forward. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

If all things go according to plan and Anthony develops into a franchise QB, then I'd say the '23 draft will be the single most important draft of Ballard's career. 

-Richardson, Downs, Brents, Rush, Scott. 

Most of that draft class is crucial to the success of the team going forward. 

Rush was cut,you might be thinking of Jones?  Mallory and Freeland may prove to be excellent too.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2018 = Nelson and Maniac

2024 = Latu and Mitchell

-all 3 very solid.

You’re forgetting Braden Smith in 2018, and DeForest Buckner we got with our 1st in 2020, two cornerstones for us as starters.

Value wise, 2024 might have been my favorite without reaching for traits based guys like in past years but we have to revisit everything in a couple of years to see where we are.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Well Mr. @Indeee  I guess my invitation got lost in the email?

Well, I would have put up a laugh emoji, but it looks like that has been removed from the options. What's up with that. Oh well. Maybe next year my friend, who knows...

:hat:

• Like 1

Will be hard to top the 2018 draft. Nelson, Leonard, Smith were the first 3 picks. 2/3 were pro-bowl and 1st team all pro. Franklin was also in the draft and led the NFL in tackles last season and has the franchise record for most tackles in a season as well. 4 legitimate starters out of that draft. Possible HOF OG.

• Like 1

My biggest takeaway from this draft is this…..

9 players drafted this year to add to the 12 the Colts took last year.  That’s 21 new players in two years.  Put another way, the total is three full drafts in the span of two seasons.  One additional draft in two years.   That’s pretty remarkable.  

I think it’s great for Steichen and good for AR that the roster is getting seriously upgraded so quickly.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

My biggest takeaway from this draft is this…..

9 players drafted this year to add to the 12 the Colts took last year.  That’s 21 new players in two years.  Put another way, the total is three full drafts in the span of two seasons.  One additional draft in two years.   That’s pretty remarkable.  

I think it’s great for Steichen and good for AR that the roster is getting seriously upgraded so quickly.

The hilarious thing about your comment is if you imagine Mitchell as a 1st round pick, you can imagine those 21 picks being 3 drafts. We literally got 3 first round picks in 2 years as well as 7 extra picks.

• Like 2

lol. Man, colts fans do this every year. Every year we think we won the draft because Ballard had a good draft in 2018. None of us have any idea how good or bad this draft will be. And I for one, do not give Chris Ballard the benefit of the doubt anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

lol. Man, colts fans do this every year. Every year we think we won the draft because Ballard had a good draft in 2018. None of us have any idea how good or bad this draft will be. And I for one, do not give Chris Ballard the benefit of the doubt anymore. 

I'm sure he loses sleep over your doubt every night.   Fevered nightmares

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Actually it’s quite the opposite. Usually a lot of posters are vocal in their disapproval of the players taken and skeptical. This is the first draft in some time where a majority of people view the draft positively. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, dw49 said:

It was a little surprising that the raiders selected Bowers when they spent pick 35 in last year's draft on M Mayer. I thought they would go with the top CB. Somehow , this at least appears to have worked out really well. Figuring the Colts would go with 1 offensive and 1 defensive player in the first 2 rounds , we came away with arguably the 12th and 28th (the are approximate.... naturally ) rated prospects with picks 15 and 46. Plus we picked up Gould and Simpson. 

apparently they plan to employ multiple TE sets which is why they went with Bowers. 

2 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

apparently they plan to employ multiple TE sets which is why they went with Bowers. 

No doubt they will do that  but just saying it's a little unusual for a team to use the 3rd pick in round 2 for a TE and then come back the following year and use P 1.13 on another TE. They obviously went with the BPA , which is fine. 

23 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

I would say right now, it may already qualify as Ballard's 3rd best draft. Can it beat out 2018 and 2020? We'll see. It has the potential too though. 

If Richardson and Downs pan out, that would qualify as his best draft by me. That being said, I've very excited about the potential of this draft!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

If Richardson and Downs pan out, that would qualify as his best draft by me. That being said, I've very excited about the potential of this draft!

If anything, the 2024 draft is the perfect draft addition that we fans (and possibly coaches) could have asked for to build upon the strengths of the 2023 draft, IMO, with most boxes checked even if not every single one. It amplifies the 2023 draft to its maximum potential with the GM preserving the core pieces from the 2018 and 2020 drafts.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If anything, the 2024 draft is the perfect draft addition that we fans (and possibly coaches) could have asked for to build upon the strengths of the 2023 draft, IMO, with most boxes checked even if not every single one. It amplifies the 2023 draft to its maximum potential with the GM preserving the core pieces from the 2018 and 2020 drafts.

Honestly, it started in '22.  He acquired our starting LT in the third round I believe, then '23 got a QB, and in '24 got our DE.  In each of those years he's drafted a WR, at least in the 3rd round.  On paper, we are looking good.  I'm very excited to see how we play this year!

• Like 1

On paper it sure seems like they hit a home run on this draft. 

I thought for sure they were going to take a CB, so I'm stoked they got the (what many are saying) was the best/most complete pass rusher in the draft. Lord knows Colts need a pass rush. 

CB is still a need, so here's hoping they get a vet presence. Or at least a vet safety. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

On paper it sure seems like they hit a home run on this draft. 

I thought for sure they were going to take a CB, so I'm stoked they got the (what many are saying) was the best/most complete pass rusher in the draft. Lord knows Colts need a pass rush. 

CB is still a need, so here's hoping they get a vet presence. Or at least a vet safety. 

Latu with that relentless motor will eventually wear down a QB. Even if they don't get home every time, just the presence alone from this front 4 should be something. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Latu with that relentless motor will eventually wear down a QB. Even if they don't get home every time, just the presence alone from this front 4 should be something. 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952ev6au3k3ih259fouzpw

• Like 1

WalterFootball  assigned a team draft grade of A to four NFL teams - Colts Lions,Bengals, and Ravens. Eagles receive an A+ grade.

"I love what the Colts did in the 2024 NFL Draft. They helped Richardson and also improved their pass rushing to help combat the many other talented quarterbacks in the AFC. Only two of their picks scored worse than a B-, but they were late-round selections."

ADC South: Titans C+, Texans B, and Jaguars C-.

Latu, Tanor Bartolini, and Jaylon Simpson received A+ grades