Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could The Colts Actually Make the Playoffs?

WarGhost21

It's the division that gives you a glimmer of hope.

Honestly, give it a few days.  If Houston loses Thursday, we could be one back going into the break.  At that point, everything would look different.

In the AFC South, anything is possible.

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

Amazing what a win against the worst team in the NFL can do for our morale. Last week we were talking about a top 3 draft pick, and now we are talking about playoffs. 

Yeah... The Arizona Cardinals would like to have a word about that... 

haha

It's a good point though. With this kind of season I really shouldn't get too high or low on performances I suppose! 

40 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Why not?

We're 2 games back with 9 to play and one left with division leader.(Darn, that tie would have been nice)

We have the best qb in division.

We have best OL in division.

We have the best playmaking RB in division.

We have the best HC in division.

We have the best GM in division.

It's do-able!

Best QB - Yes

Best OL - Yes

Best RB - False Fornette is better.  

Best HC - Maybe

Best GM - Maybe

We also have the worse defense in the division.  

17 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Best QB - Yes

Best OL - Yes

Best RB - False Fornette is better.  

Best HC - Maybe

Best GM - Maybe

We also have the worse defense in the division.  

My wording was Mack is the best "playmaking back" in division. He can break a long one or td on any carry.

Fournette is more like a big bull that can pound you continually inside. But since he usually  has leg injuries, he's often on the sidelines. Hopefully Mack puts his injuries behind him(like most defenders chasing him) and stay on the field.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Why not?  The division is spectacularly mediocre once again.  9-7 and an asskicking at the hands of KC or NE is the ultimate fate of the 2018 AFC South victor.

Meh, if the AFC south team can even get past the best wildcard team...

I feel terrible, i wasn't even able to enjoy yeserdays win with you all! We are a lousy 2-5 but, the division is keeping us in this thing.. Texans just have to stop getting lucky lol

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Purdue hammered Ohio State proving everything in football is possible:)

No, All Purdue proved that Ohio State, giving up an average of 28 points per game, is highly overrated....  Purdue played well and took advantage of the Bucks; but if they didn't someone else would have soon.  Colts  may have a shot in 2019 if they keep improving.  It was Buffalo they just beat.

5 hours ago, NagelHausForge said:

At this point I would say our ceiling is 9-7.  Just based on injuries and the play makers we do have.  Although it is telling that there is only one team on our schedule with a winning record (Dolphins).  

Either way, it was a great game to watch yesterday and shows what this team can be when they start playing consistent balanced football.

The ceiling is 11-5. Tyquan lewis could help us get there and dontrelle  inman may be a factor after the bye as well along with good health

3 hours ago, Myles said:

You are wrong again.   Your making that a habit.    You like to throw insults in there too.   Very mature.  

We'll  have to agree to disagree.   I think the Texans 2 game lead over the Colts and the only winning record in the division IS having control of the division at the moment.   They also have a weaker schedule than the Jags and Texans.   

I like how you suddenly added the qualifier "at the moment".  

You seem to think "current division leader after week 7" and "in control" are the same thing.

So if the point you are trying to make is that Houston is leading the division after week 7 by one game (over a team that already beat them and has a superior divisional record), then I agree.  Thanks for the newsflash.  

The Houston Texans are in control of nothing divisionally long term though.  Neither is any other team in the NFL, save the LA Rams maybe.

Just now, richard pallo said:

With Cooper traded and Lynch hurt who on the Raiders offense is someone we have to worry about?   I can't think of anyone.  This upcoming game is looking more like a win and another step closer to winning our division. 

Jared Cook. He has a big game every couple of weeks or so. But it’s definitely a winnable game. 

They better beat the Raiders because I don't want to come all the way to Indy for a lousy crowd vs Jax! If they win the next two, the season is most definitely back on. In saying that, the Texans schedule is quite easy as well as the Colts schedule, but Watson may not stay healthy the entire season. 

6 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Amazing what a win against the worst team in the NFL can do for our morale. Last week we were talking about a top 3 draft pick, and now we are talking about playoffs. 

Its certainly possible to make playoffs. Our schedule gets much easier, especially since JAX doesn’t look as good as advertised. If we can stay healthy and have an established, consistent  running game then we should push for a spot

That worst team did beat the Vikings - (a SB contender)...

8 hours ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

Agree with MrD 100%.  If these same 5 guys on the OL can start the next 9 games together, and if Leonard, Walker, Hunt, Hooker, Sheard and Woods all avoid the injury bug, this is going to be a team NOBODY wants to face in the WC round.

That was my belief the first weeks this season, avoiding injury bug. We have enough guys with talent, if they can stay healthy we can beat almost anyone. Excluding the Rams, and maybe Chiefs

They have dug a deep hole, but:

They've been learning a new offense and a new defense.

They've been playing without 3 of their best skill position players.  

They just got back a starter at arguably the 2nd-most important position on the offense (LT).

They've played both teams from last year's Superbowl, on the road.  

I know it's a big if, but IF they can stay relatively healthy, then yes, they can definitely win the division. 

• Like 1

9-7 is probably our ceiling, I picked us to go 9-7 before the season started so who knows? Our schedule is real favorable and we still have 5 division games left so there is a chance to still win the division considering Jacks and the Titans both are at 3-4 and Houston is only 2 games ahead at 4-3. Beating Houston the next time around is a complete must though because we already lost to them. 9-7 may possibly win the division?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Its certainly possible to make playoffs. Our schedule gets much easier, especially since JAX doesn’t look as good as advertised. If we can stay healthy and have an established, consistent  running game then we should push for a spot

Winning cures a lot of things ;D .  But, as many have stated, we need some consistency.  However, with our current lineup without injures, it makes it easier to believe that we could have won at least 3 of our 5 losses, and that if healthy, I have that hope that is is possible.  Time to wait and see. 

On 10/22/2018 at 9:32 AM, MacDee1975 said:

Why not?  The division is spectacularly mediocre once again.  9-7 and an asskicking at the hands of KC or NE is the ultimate fate of the 2018 AFC South victor.

FWIW KC and NE are likely to be the #1 and #2 seeds, so for the AFC South victor to get to play one of them they'd have to beat the top wild-card team to get there (probably Baltimore, the Chargers or the Steelers).  I personally find it difficult to call any season that includes a playoff win a total failure.

Not gonna lie...after looking at the upcoming schedule again...Colts could legitimately put themselves in the conversation in a few weeks. There are like 6-7 actually good teams in the NFL this season.

Crazy how this season is shaking out. Colts win this weekend...and then just win their division games and they are probably in. HOU still has to play DEN (who are very good at home) and PHI.

I almost feel like Ballard should snag a player at the TDL...because why not.

24 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

FWIW KC and NE are likely to be the #1 and #2 seeds, so for the AFC South victor to get to play one of them they'd have to beat the top wild-card team to get there (probably Baltimore, the Chargers or the Steelers).  I personally find it difficult to call any season that includes a playoff win a total failure.

Where did I say any season that includes a playoff win is a total failure?

Wait what... playoffs :cheers:

Come on man

Okay lets just talk about what just happened.

We won against the buffalo Bills, who's starting QB were starting after being away for how long? and which the Bills signed 10 days prior to the Colts game, and now we are talking about going to the playoffs?

Yes we are not far behind in the AFC South, but we are not even close to have anything to do in the playoffs.

Luck is playing lights out, but thats not enough with our roster, and talking about us winning out is absurd. 

Is every remaining game winnable... absolute, but for that to happen, we need to win away at Raiders, Texas, Titans and Jaguars, oh and then we need to beat the Cowboys, who's just signed a WR, which makes them a better team. 

I do believe we will win 2-3 more games, but beyond that... Nah.

And let's say we managed to win enough games to make it to the playoffs, I can't see us win a game against the Patriots, Chiefs, Chargers, Steelers or Ravens. 

I don't even think we will win against the Raiders on sunday, even though they just traded away their best receiver.

So talking about us going to the playoffs... no way in h-e-l-l that will happen.  

On 10/22/2018 at 12:31 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

My wording was Mack is the best "playmaking back" in division. He can break a long one or td on any carry.

Fournette is more like a big bull that can pound you continually inside. But since he usually  has leg injuries, he's often on the sidelines. Hopefully Mack puts his injuries behind him(like most defenders chasing him) and stay on the field.

The Jaguars have signed & cut Jamaal Charles, as well as traded for Carlos Hyde in the last month. That tells me things aren't looking good for Fournette.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Wait what... playoffs :cheers:

Come on man

Okay lets just talk about what just happened.

We won against the buffalo Bills, who's starting QB were starting after being away for how long? and which the Bills signed 10 days prior to the Colts game, and now we are talking about going to the playoffs?

Yes we are not far behind in the AFC South, but we are not even close to have anything to do in the playoffs.

Luck is playing lights out, but thats not enough with our roster, and talking about us winning out is absurd. 

Is every remaining game winnable... absolute, but for that to happen, we need to win away at Raiders, Texas, Titans and Jaguars, oh and then we need to beat the Cowboys, who's just signed a WR, which makes them a better team. 

I do believe we will win 2-3 more games, but beyond that... Nah.

And let's say we managed to win enough games to make it to the playoffs, I can't see us win a game against the Patriots, Chiefs, Chargers, Steelers or Ravens. 

I don't even think we will win against the Raiders on sunday, even though they just traded away their best receiver.

So talking about us going to the playoffs... no way in h-e-l-l that will happen.  

So every game is absolutely winnable, but we only win 2 or 3 of them? A strange and somewhat contradictory analysis. And if you fear Amari Cooper, then.........

We will miss out this year, but I can see 6/7 more wins if we get lucky with injuries.

• Like 1

After watching Houston play last night, I'm less optimistic that the Colts can make the playoffs.   They looked really good.   Certainly in control of the division.    I still think the Colts can beat them, so all hope is not gone.   Watson looks really good.   He could get injured on any play though.   He puts himself in allot of risky spots.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Myles said:

After watching Houston play last night, I'm less optimistic that the Colts can make the playoffs.   They looked really good.   Certainly in control of the division.    I still think the Colts can beat them, so all hope is not gone.   Watson looks really good.   He could get injured on any play though.   He puts himself in allot of risky spots.  

Yea it looks tough. We may have to win every game left on our schedule  to win the division and hope the texans slip up a few times

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 4:22 PM, MacDee1975 said:

No, they don't, and no, they aren't.  

Is this your first year watching the NFL?  It's week 7, not week 17.  A one game lead at this point means absolutely nothing.

Eeking out one score wins over sub .500 teams is not "playing pretty good ball".  They are, literally, 3 plays away from being 1-6, and have looked unimpressive a vast majority of this 

Looks like Fuller is out for the year, and Joseph out for a bit as well. Did they look good, or were the Fins really poor? Lets see them win at Denver before we crown them Division champs....

33 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Looks like Fuller is out for the year, and Joseph out for a bit as well. Did they look good, or were the Fins really poor? Lets see them win at Denver before we crown them Division champs....

I watched the game and thought they looked very good.   Dolphins looked pretty good on the offensive side of the ball.   The got burnt a few times on defense, but I think that was mainly because Watson created time for receivers to get open.   

The schedule certainly looks manageable to make a run but I really don't want the Colts to make the playoffs this season. One more year of higher draft picks to strengthen their roster is what they need. After this year it's back to the good ole days of being a SB contender year in year out for good while IMO. Whether anyone agrees with me or not, I think making the playoffs this year stunts the Colts growth from being a SB contender to just a playoff contender next year.

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

The visiting team has lost every game of Thursday night football this year.

Its upsetting and unfair