Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

USA Today Writer releases predictions

TKnight24

Since the Colin Cowherd thread, guess it’s only right we have the anti thread of that one. 2-14 for the Indianapolis Colts and the #1 overall pick 

Now, we all know there’s a million question marks around this team..... but 2 less wins than last season’s train wreck? So much would have to go wrong 

From the article: “Indianapolis Colts (2-14): Even if Andrew Luck has made a complete recovery, his supporting cast hasn't — crippling in a once-downtrodden division that's transformed in Luck's absence.”

:coltshelmet:

He has Chargers/Falcons for Super Bowl 53

39 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Since the Colin Cowherd thread, guess it’s only right we have the anti thread of that one. 2-14 for the Indianapolis Colts and the #1 overall pick 

Now, we all know there’s a million question marks around this team..... but 2 less wins than last season’s train wreck? So much would have to go wrong 

From the article: “Indianapolis Colts (2-14): Even if Andrew Luck has made a complete recovery, his supporting cast hasn't — crippling in a once-downtrodden division that's transformed in Luck's absence.”

Is this dude on drugs, 2-14 :funny:. I am a nice guy but that dude is a dumbo. This is so laughable lmao. Chargers vs Falcons in the SB, this has to be a prank or fake or a hackjob? He has the Seahawks 4-12, I know this is fake.

• Like 2

2-14 only happens if Luck goes down again and we also lose our back-up QB to injury.  And, suffer lots of other injuries and lots of bad luck.

Also, the Charger-Falcons Super Bowl is an off base prediction to get attention.  In the unlikely event that happens, he can say he was right.

Predictions are fun and for entertainment purposes only...the games have to be played.

• Like 1

Man predicting us to go 2-14, that's locker room material. I see no way we win only two games even if brisset starts all 16 games. We get the benefit of playing the AFC east, which has been the worst division in football the past few years. Jets, bills, Dolphins, Giants, redskins, Bengals, and raiders. I would think we can win at least four of those games. Wouldn't mind having the first overall pick next year in a loaded draft tho.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Man predicting us to go 2-14, that's locker room material. I see no way we win only two games even if brisset starts all 16 games. We get the benefit of playing the AFC east, which has been the worst division in football the past few years. Jets, bills, Dolphins, Giants, redskins, Bengals, and raiders. I would think we can win at least four of those games. Wouldn't mind having the first overall pick next year in a loaded draft tho.

Locker room material? Nah. The last documented instance of someone actually reading a USA Today sports page was in 1993 when some guy in Minnesota accidentally read a couple of pages while cleaning fish. 

• Like 3

This is laughable.

We had 4 wins last year with no Luck and terrible coaching! 

I cant remember the exact stats but sure we were winning at half time in a few more of those games and were competitive until the fourth quarter in almost all of them.

The difference new coaching, Andrew Luck (even with a bit of rust) and some young fresh talent can make, means our floor must be 6 wins IMO.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

This is laughable.

We had 4 wins last year with no Luck and terrible coaching! 

I cant remember the exact stats but sure we were winning at half time in a few more of those games and were competitive until the fourth quarter in almost all of them.

The difference new coaching, Andrew Luck (even with a bit of rust) and some young fresh talent can make, means our floor must be 6 wins IMO.

Could be wrong, but believe Colts lead at halftime in 9 games last season

Team isn’t as bad as folks make it. Brissett got to the team late and still put up 4 wins 

Unless Scott Tolzien is the starting QB opening day against Cincinnati, it’s gonna take a avalanche of bad things for the Colts to only get 2 wins 

• Like 6

For whatever is worth the smart money in Vegas is on the Colts. I listened to a couple of podcasts with Warren Sharp who is a professional gambler that (along with his betting group) bets millions every year on NFL futures and he thinks the Colts over(6-6.5) is one of the best available bets on the books right now. He cites strength of schedule, improvement of coaching and playcalling(Colts entered the 4th Q with the lead in 9 games last year and lost most of them) because of horrendous playcalling last year. He said he likes the bet even if Jacobi is the starter and if Luck is healthy and performing to his regular level this is free money that Vegas is throwing at you. 

He said that the line in Vegas has already moved from 5.5 to 6.5 and he expects it go to up even more because the big sharks money is heavily on the Colts this year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, stitches said:

For whatever is worth the smart money in Vegas is on the Colts. I listened to a couple of podcasts with Warren Sharp who is a professional gambler that (along with his betting group) bets millions every year on NFL futures and he thinks the Colts over(6-6.5) is one of the best available bets on the books right now. He cites strength of schedule, improvement of coaching and playcalling(Colts entered the 4th Q with the lead in 9 games last year and lost most of them) because of horrendous playcalling last year. He said he likes the bet even if Jacobi is the starter and if Luck is healthy and performing to his regular level this is free money that Vegas is throwing at you. 

He said that the line in Vegas has already moved from 5.5 to 6.5 and he expects it go to up even more because the big sharks money is heavily on the Colts this year. 

These are the folks I tend to believe more so than sports reporters.  Vegas tends to be right a lot more often than wrong, I can't say that about reporters.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stitches said:

He just posted his reasoning:

Red herring. Just because he "thinks" the Colts will go 2-14 doesn't mean he hates the Colts. It just means he's being silly.

1) The rest of the AFC South hasn't proved anything. The Texans have just as many question marks -- a defense that fell apart and is relying on players returning from injury, and their main offensive playmaker is coming back from a serious injury. The Titans have been 'the next big thing' for at least two seasons, but they kind of limp along every year, and now their head coach is the guy who oversaw the demise of the Texans defense last season. The Jags look good, but they have a bad QB.

2) Teams with good QBing don't need a reliable running game to be 8-8. Teams with good QBing kind of go 8-8 by default. Luck proved that with a bad shoulder and bad coaching in 2016.

3) Valid concern, but not valid enough to suggest that the team that won 4 games with no playmakers in a more complicated defense will win 2 fewer games with no playmakers in a simpler, faster defense.

The Colts were bad last year. Almost unwatchable at times. The QB showed up five minutes before the season started. The OL was a mess, injury plagued, down to their 5th center by the end of the season. The defense was slow and ineffective at times. They were relying on a 33 year old RB. Their best defensive players got hurt. They still won 4 games, and had second half leads in another 7 games. And now they're going to be worse? Because the AFC South is suddenly dominant? Come on...

Even if Luck doesn't play a single down, going 4-12 again would be shocking. This "analysis" is sorely lacking.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

1) The rest of the AFC South hasn't proved anything. The Texans have just as many question marks -- a defense that fell apart and is relying on players returning from injury, and their main offensive playmaker is coming back from a serious injury. The Titans have been 'the next big thing' for at least two seasons, but they kind of limp along every year, and now their head coach is the guy who oversaw the demise of the Texans defense last season. The Jags look good, but they have a bad QB.

So true. What I saw last year in the playoffs is that other AFC South teams are just as capable as the Colts of going to New England & losing, which is all that Tennessee & Jacksonville really accomplished at the end of the day.

4 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

First of all his supporting cast has improved by a lot compared to what it was secondly this division Titans are not going 10-6 and I don't see Texans going 11-5 Jags 12-4 maybe but I would say 10-6 maybe 11-5 we were 4-12 last year if Luck plays and he is even 2016 Andrew Luck this team gets no fewer than 8 wins. That prediction is pathetic.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

So true. What I saw last year in the playoffs is that other AFC South teams are just as capable as the Colts of going to New England & losing, which is all that Tennessee & Jacksonville really accomplished at the end of the day.

Jacksonville actually had a chance to beat the Pats, just couldn't make a play on either side of the ball late in the game. But I don't think their DL will be as good, and any team relying on Bortles is dancing on a razor's edge, IMO.

Pete Prisco played the Nate Davis role for USA Today back in 2012. He predicted the Colts would win half as many games also. I think Davis will wind up being just as wrong.

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i checked with the odds makers after reading these threads, they have the over under at 6.5 and 7.5 

Reasonable.  Are you taking the over?  If I had to bet real money, I’m not sure I would if it’s 7.5.  

I consider this a ‘no pressure’ season. No one is expecting us to win.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Because they started putting instructions and warning labels on everything, thwarting Darwinism and thus allowing stupid people to live long enough to reproduce 

I have seen a warning label on a hammer. A freaking hammer. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Because they started putting instructions and warning labels on everything, thwarting Darwinism and thus allowing stupid people to live long enough to reproduce 

Awesome, csmopar. 

As to the Colts, 2-14 is silly but the Division IS tougher and Jax and Tenn are talented. So is Houston with a healthy Watson. Nobody should be shocked by an 8-8 year. This is still a team in transition with some genuine issues that probably aren’t solved yet. The Colts are on the rise again, but it will take a couple of years to get back to contending. 

• Thanks 1

I think the message I will take from this is that our Division according to this guy is going to win more games than any other division. So then in fact this division is no longer soft, therefor the colts will no longer be soft when we win the division crown? Logically speaking?... what am I thinking. Logic and the media do not go hand in hand. 

9 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

This prediction is going to come back and haunt Nate Davis for a long, long time.

In my view,  Andrew Luck's right arm could fall off today,  and we could go the entire season with Brissett and we're still going to win more than 2 games.    Goodness gracious.    Heck, I think we'll win more than the 4 games we won last year.    I'd guess that JB would lead us to 5-6 wins.    And with Luck,  I'm already on record as predicting an 8-8 season.   

I could invision less.    But not two.    Two is laughably silly.

Davis is smarter than this.    But the difference here is when you're making predictions on all 32 teams at once,   You're going to have a couple of clunkers.    Think of this exercise like a juggler.   Eventually the more (whatever) you're juggling at once,  the greater the chance you're going to drop one and it's going to go splat.

And he just dropped the Colts Big Time!     What a mess!     In 6 months this is going to look so much worse.    I just hope he goes back at some point in this calendar year and owns up to such a terrible prediction.    I hope he can laugh at himself.    Because Colts Nation is going to enjoy the last laugh here!     2-14?!?    No.    Heck, no!!        :facepalm:

• Like 4