Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trade for DT DeForest Buckner

MTC

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stephen said:

I hate it because  we traded the 13th pick. If it had been the 34th or next years first I'd feel different.  Now if Buckner sucks Ballard  will be crucified  like grigson  for trading  a first  for trent Richardson. 

Buckner is an. All pro.  

I don't get why people are upset about this. If Ballard selected Kinlaw at 13 who's to say he will be just as good as Buckner if not better. Plus, Kinlaw has issues with his knees. Buckner is 24, hasn't missed a game since 2016, and his sacks were a little down in 2019 from 2018 but he still had 7.5 sacks. He is the second best DT behind Donald in my opinion. 

This opens up the door for the Colts to either trade back into the first round if Love falls or draft Jalen Hurts or Jake Fromm in the second or third round. 

1 hour ago, DownHillRunner said:

I don't get why people are upset about this. If Ballard selected Kinlaw at 13 who's to say he will be just as good as Buckner if not better. Plus, Kinlaw has issues with his knees. Buckner is 24, hasn't missed a game since 2016, and his sacks were a little down in 2019 from 2018 but he still had 7.5 sacks. He is the second best DT behind Donald in my opinion. 

This opens up the door for the Colts to either trade back into the first round if Love falls or draft Jalen Hurts or Jake Fromm in the second or third round. 

NO to Love.  NO to Hurts.  NO to Fromm.  Take Eason and develop him.

I absolutely love the pick up. IMO, it will change the complexion of our entire D. I think our DBs will benefit just as much as anyone with this add.

It also makes me think even more that they lock up Rivers early on in the process. We could also trade back into the first easily enough. 

6 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

As long as he continues to play like that as an All Pro then i'm ok with the deal.

"What a relief, I was worried jameszeigler834 wouldn't be 'ok' with the deal I made to acquire a 26-yr old 6'7" All-Pro beast of a 3T DT, arguably the most crucial position in the 4-3 system we run on defense." - Chris Ballard

8 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Some of y’all mad they traded 13 yet you woulda peed yourself in glee had they used the pick on Kinlaw 

Kinlaw won't be making $21m/year, so there's a difference. But yeah, I like the proven high level producer at 25 years and 365 days old, better than the unproven rookie. 

The argument is this: if the Colts were determined to improve at the 3T position, as it appears they were, then you are hoping that Kinlaw falls to you with the #13 pick (Brown will be gone by then).  And Kinlaw was unable to play in the Senior Bowl or run at the Combine because of tendinitis in his knees. That's a dice roll right there. With no proof that Kinlaw, even with good knees, will ever approach All Pro status. 

So... the Colts instead traded that pick for one of the best 3T linemen in the NFL--a proven commodity and All Pro-- who is young with his best years likely ahead of him and now signed for 5 years.

And the Colts still have plenty of cap space  left while the cap itself is going to increase significantly in the next few years. Ballard waited and utilized that cap space to grab a star at a major position of need. How is this not an outstanding trade? 

12 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

As long as he continues to play like that as an All Pro then i'm ok with the deal.

That’s the risk with ANY AND EVERY draft pick and FA signing, or in this case, trade.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Kinlaw won't be making $21m/year, so there's a difference. But yeah, I like the proven high level producer at 25 years and 365 days old, better than the unproven rookie. 

Knock on wood, durable too

7 minutes ago, presto123 said:

Last time I checked QB was the most important position on the field. SMH

We are still allowed to sign/draft a quarterback. I think the odds are pretty good that Buckner will be better than whoever we could have drafted at ANY position.

18 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

giphy.gif

#CLASSIC. And great trade. We were hoping Kinlaw or Brown turned out as productive as Buckner has shown. For those upset about the trade. There was NO guarantee that Kinlaw or Brown would be available. Secondly, Buckner knows the NFL and is proven. Thirdly, there's also no guarantee that your fav QB will be there at 13 either.

13 minutes ago, presto123 said:

Last time I checked QB was the most important position on the field. SMH

We still have two second round picks. Ballard is smart. What’s stopping him from packaging one of them to say AZ with next years first to move back up to 8. 

Rumor has it SF might actually trade that 13th pick for more picks. Wouldn’t it be funny if we got our original pick back.

1 hour ago, KB said:

PFF (well these three guys) says we lost the trade. They dont see interior defensive line as being worth that kind of draft capitol. Shows that we are in a win now mode.

This is what I was getting at by it being an unusual move for Ballard. Trading a first round pick for a vet is something I would have never guessed he'd do, to be honest.

Worth a watch......

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/3/16/21182570/film-room-new-colts-defensive-tackle-deforest-buckner-is-a-superstar

We have an ALL-PRO on DL and ALL PRO on OL

With a force on the DL

1) Our DEs will get more sacks

2) Our DBs will get more Ints

3) Our LBs will be MORE free to get tackles, vs having a guard come out and maul them

Its a beautiful thing!!!!

12 minutes ago, Introspect said:

Anthony Gordon QB Washington State....... This kid is the real deal

Gonna be the steal of the draft!

Gordon needs a BOATLOAD of development.......

BUT I think he will be special, and will be the 4th or 5th best QB in this draft.....

3rd round pick......

I’m a huge fan of this move. But I find interesting to say the least, with all the scouting Reich and Dodds did on the qb’s at the senior bowl. You know they did their due diligence. So either they think those guys are going way too high and would command too much to get/too risky, or they think they might fall, specifically Love. They wanted talent at #13, perhaps they didn’t feel good about the kind they were getting in the draft... They just landed elite talent. Paid for it, no doubt. But he’s here, and not going anywhere for some time... 

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

Worth a watch......

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2020/3/16/21182570/film-room-new-colts-defensive-tackle-deforest-buckner-is-a-superstar

We have an ALL-PRO on DL and ALL PRO on OL

With a force on the DL

1) Our DEs will get more sacks

2) Our DBs will get more Ints

3) Our LBs will be MORE free to get tackles, vs having a guard come out and maul them

Its a beautiful thing!!!!

Don't forget all pro at linebacker too 

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I’m a huge fan of this move. But I find interesting to say the least, with all the scouting Reich and Dodds did on the qb’s at the senior bowl. You know they did their due diligence. So either they think those guys are going way too high and would command too much to get/too risky, or they think they might fall, specifically Love. They wanted talent at #13, perhaps they didn’t feel good about the kind they were getting in the draft... They just landed elite talent. Paid for it, no doubt. But he’s here, and not going anywhere for some time... 

I think you nailed it.....

They checked out the QBs that would realistically be available at 13, and felt THIS MOVE was the best for the team.......

Hoorah

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

I hate it because  we traded the 13th pick. If it had been the 34th or next years first I'd feel different.  Now if Buckner sucks Ballard  will be crucified  like grigson  for trading  a first  for trent Richardson. 

Very poor comparison, IMO.  Grigson went for the flash without vetting the player.  Ballard doesn't work that way.

16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I was wondering about this, whether it was a true five year deal, or a five +1. Turns out it's a 4+1. He's on the 5th year option at $12.4m in 2020, plus four years $84m. So it's a total of five years, $96.4m, with a $19.3m/year average.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I was wondering about this, whether it was a true five year deal, or a five +1. Turns out it's a 4+1. He's on the 5th year option at $12.4m in 2020, plus four years $84m. So it's a total of five years, $96.4m, with a $19.3m/year average.

So if my math is correct, we should have roughly 63 mil after AC's contract, cutting Hunt, and Buckner's new contract

7 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Very poor comparison, IMO.  Grigson went for the flash without vetting the player.  Ballard doesn't work that way.

While I love the trade, his basic point (if DB fails, CB will be crucified) is still valid. I really doubt DB fails, but he did dip last year. I think that was more of a product of all the talent around him, but you never know what's going to happen. But honestly, a 13+big contract is a deal that you simply have to nail, or you look very bad. I think he nailed it.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Great catch. For those complaining. We gave up 1 pick (13th overall). Buckner was drafted 7th overall and has made the Pro Bowl within 4 years at the DT position.

For comparison sake, I understand that they're different positions, however The Bears traded two first-round picks, a third-round pick and a sixth round pick to the Oakland Raiders for Mack and 2020 second round and conditional fifth round draft picks. 

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

Great catch. For those complaining. We gave up 1 pick (13th overall). Buckner was drafted 7th overall and has made the Pro Bowl within 4 years at the DT position.

For comparison sake, I understand that they're different positions, however The Bears traded two first-round picks, a third-round pick and a sixth round pick to the Oakland Raiders for Mack and 2020 second round and conditional fifth round draft picks. 

I live the trade and sign of Buckner.  I would have loved them to grab Hargraves as well. Mayb DJ Reader is an option to play nose tackle??

3 hours ago, MTC said:

To anyone saying we paid too much: 

The cap is increasing every year, we’ll look back in two or three years time and not think of anything of it.

21 plus that high first is a ton. He better be the missing piece. If he flops or the defense is marginal, CB is gonna get real heat. If he hits, CB will never have to buy his beers again. 

my one concern in this new age of NFL players, will he finish out his contract or walk early and enjoy his wealth with his health? Me liking a Brown or Kinlaw increases odds of him playing out his first years plus at least a few more. If I can get 7-10 years from a drafted player, that’s a win. We may get 1 or all 5 from Buckner (assuming it was a5 years) but that’s probably all. 

3 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

If Chad was the future, he would've gotten his shot when Jacoby went down last season. They went with Hoyer over Chad. That speaks volumes. 

I predicted we would take a DT with our first pick, never the QB. I honestly believe Kelly is the guy, him sitting was a lesson and part of the patient planning. Had Chad barked or made news, QB would have been first on the draft board. I think Chad showed every bit of potential in preseason as does any of the QB’s we could have gambled on in the draft this year. Call me crazy but that’s my feeling as for why they held onto him in the end when they certainly needed a roster spot elsewhere but chose to keep a 3rd QB they wouldn’t dress. He wasn’t kept as a favor to Jim Kelly for certain. This isn’t the make a wish league. 

Archived