Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trade for DT DeForest Buckner

MTC

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Yes, but mostly passing downs. You cant do that every down

Oh absolutely. Guessing on snap counts, probably about a 3rd of the time. My point is, we could see that increase a little given Buckner is a big boy and great against the run. Perhaps he slides to "NT" a bit on tweener downs

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Oh absolutely. Guessing on snap counts, probably about a 3rd of the time. My point is, we could see that increase a little given Buckner is a big boy and great against the run. Perhaps he slides to "NT" a bit on tweener downs

my guess, our pass rush line will mostly be Turay Autry Buckner Houston

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

my guess, our pass rush line will mostly be Turay Autry Buckner Houston

Now, if we could put some points on the board consistently and force other teams into passing only mode, it'll be a thing of beauty.

I guess the FO knows more about Turay's recovery and Banogu's development... but I won't be shocked if we added another edge rusher.  It sure would be nice if we could really hone in on dropping the other QB, though.

4 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Now, if we could put some points on the board consistently and force other teams into passing only mode, it'll be a thing of beauty.

I guess the FO knows more about Turay's recovery and Banogu's development... but I won't be shocked if we added another edge rusher.  It sure would be nice if we could really hone in on dropping the other QB, though.

well now that the raiders got mariota, maybe we try to go after Carr

13 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Says who?

If it happens, it's very rare, and because of necessity instead of design . Name another 4-3 team that starts two true 3 techs without injury.

13 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

That was because of injuries and plus we didn't have al woods either

No. Injury did not push him into starts. Hunt's snaps simply decreased. The pre-season talk was that they expected him to have a bigger role, and that he had been coming along nicely since drafted in 2017.  Woods was let go early, and signed back with Seattle very early in the summer. It was likely their strategy (to use Stewart) that allowed them to let Woods go.

25 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Well I think some people, like myself, saw the very high talent that was going to be available at the 13th overall pick. Mainly guys like Jerry Jeudy, Ceedee Lamb, Derrick Brown, and Javon Kinlaw. That's why I'm a bit disappointed we couldn't have gotten Buckner for a little less. 

We'll see.... but I expect 2 or 3 of those guys to be gone by #13 anyhow.

Kinlaw, due to the knee questions is the most likely to reach #13, IMO. And as much as I liked Kinlaw early in the process, unfortunately.... once the knee tendinitis issue stretched through the combine it gave me pause as to us spending #13 on him. And hoping Brown would slide to #13 is very questionable.

AC's re-upping clearly bought us the freedom to deal the #13 pick.... because without Castonzo on board, its very likely we'd have HAD to spend it on an OT.

I like the Buckner trade a LOT.... and I don't think Ballard is done with the D-line either.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

They have him for 5 years.  Massive improvement over Hunt.  Really no downside.  

That may be true but it’s out of character for Ballard. He’s traded a pretty high first round draft pick for a player with a high salary when he preaches drafting and developing players. 

I like the move but I guess my ‘one player away’ comment is premature without seeing what other moves are made. 

55 minutes ago, P'Son said:

Hell, NFL may not be playing this upcoming season.

Too early, but then again who knows. 

By fall, if there's no football.. I'm just gonna stop thinking about that right now.

8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Sheeze

Some people would complain about the dirt in the tailpipe of the free Porsche someone gave them

This player will be excellent for the Colts.  In a MUCH needed spot

DIRT?!?!

5 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

That may be true but it’s out of character for Ballard. He’s traded a pretty high first round draft pick for a player with a high salary when he preaches drafting and developing players. 

I like the move but I guess my ‘one player away’ comment is premature without seeing what other moves are made. 

It’s not one or the other.   It can be all things.

You can preach draft and development and still make a rare big move like the one we just did.    One does not impact the other.   The Pats do all.   They’re active with draft and free agency and trades.  

Give Ballard a little latitude.  I think he’s earned it. 

Wow just saw this.  Tbh not a bad deal giving up a first.  Knew we needed to replace Autry and we just landed a gem with Buckner.  Am still hoping we go all in and get Hargrave to completely upgrade our IDL help take off pressure of our DBs and LBs.

With Hilton’s age of 31 this season, do see us taking a a WR early.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see us trade our R2P2 to get extra pick(s) but we also need a top TE like Kmet.  Doyle isn’t getting any younger and has missed some games recently.

5 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

I cannot tell you what a relief this is!  I always hoped the Colts would go DT or WR at 13.  I guess they felt a proven veteran all pro was a better deal.  Now I don't have to hear about overrated QBs like Jordan Love or Justin Herbert anymore. My hope now is the Colts get Nick Foles or Phillips Rivers, draft a WR at top of 2nd, and draft Jake Fromm or Anthony Gordon as a developmental QB.  But please no Jacoby Brissett!

Glad the Colts aren’t forcing things at the QB position with the 13th pick. Again Ballard true to his word.  “You can’t force it.”  Love wasn’t it and Ballard saw it.   I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ballard take some one like Eason or Jalen Hurts in the second round. 

6 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Wow just saw this.  Tbh not a bad deal giving up a first.  Knew we needed to replace Autry and we just landed a gem with Buckner.  Am still hoping we go all in and get Hargrave to completely upgrade our IDL help take off pressure of our DBs and LBs.

With Hilton’s age of 31 this season, do see us taking a a WR early.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see us trade our R2P2 to get extra pick(s) but we also need a top TE like Kmet.  Doyle isn’t getting any younger and has missed some games recently.

Isn't Hargrave going to Philly?

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

Isn't Hargrave going to Philly?

Just waking up catching up with latest news.  My pipe dream oh well.  All open and players can change minds nothing set in stone just like Frank Gore remember.  Now that we added Buckner who knows how much he might change his mind now if so.

2 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Just waking up catching up with latest news.  My pipe dream oh well.  All open and players can change minds nothing set in stone just like Frank Gore remember.  Now that we added Buckner who knows how much he might change his mind now if so.

The only other big money I can see us forking out now is maybe a 2 year deal for Rivers. We need an upgrade from JB. If we sign Rivers that will allow Ballard to take a WR at 34 and probably a CB with the 44, just guessing. He may still even take a QB with the 44?

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The only other big money I can see us forking out now is maybe a 2 year deal for Rivers. We need an upgrade from JB. If we sign Rivers that will allow Ballard to take a WR at 34 and probably a CB with the 44, just guessing. He may still even take a QB with the 44?

Forget Rivers much rather go after Texans Watson.  Younger and better but would cost us imagine next years first and then some.  

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

We need another DT....nose tackle

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Houston would never trade him. 

Houston needs the cap space and we got 36M available to sign him.  In 2 years would be interesting how much cap space they would actually have available.  Close by any standards to resign Watson.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To me Gordon is still interesting and will be there in Round 2, so will Eason IMO.

39 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Hargrave signed with PHI. I wouldn't mind going after a guy like Jarran Reed or even a 1T like Billings.

Edit: Missed that Reed re-upped with SEA. Can't get nfltraderumors.com to load anymore.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Ballard is too smart to bring old man Rivers to Indy.  He is more likely to bring in a younger talent like Bridgewater or maybe even make another trade for Carr. 

9 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Houston needs the cap space and we got 36M available to sign him.  In 2 years would be interesting how much cap space they would actually have available.  Close by any standards to resign Watson.

Houston has more cap room than the Colts. 

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Reed signed with the Seahawks. Reading is still out there

Just saw that...that's a pretty solid deal for SEA. I imagine they re-up with Clowney as well.

I still like a few of the DL players available...especially a younger guy like Billings (24)...or maybe even a post-hype guy like A'Shawn Robinson (25) to shore up the 1T position.

16 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Hargrave signed with PHI. I wouldn't mind going after a guy like Jarran Reed or even a 1T like Billings.

Edit: Missed that Reed re-upped with SEA. Can't get nfltraderumors.com to load anymore.

Unofficial correct?  Surprised details were released.  Figured Hargrave would get closer to 15M/year.  If not set in stone wouldn’t mind countering Eagles offer to him.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Apparently this trade has been in the works since the Super bowl. How did they keep this quiet.

Ballard is one smooth operator.  All of these talking heads have no idea what he is up to.  Can’t believe all the media chatter when it comes to the Colts because Ballard likely to make moves that they aren’t even thinking about. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Because the media don't know as much as they think they do. 

Who knew this was coming?

Did anyone here see this coming?  No one here did.   Here you are blaming the media for not knowing about this when Ballard has a consistent record of not leaking.   Not him.   Not anyone in the Colts.

Oh...   except the one guy in the Colts who leaked the Andrew Luck news and the the media got blamed for that too.

Can’t win.   Just can’t win. 

Archived