Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trade for DT DeForest Buckner

MTC

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I was hoping they would draft a DT at 13.   They used the pick for an all pro.    Great deal.

Exactly this ^^^^. I would be thrilled if they went DT at 13 and got someone of this caliber.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Some GMs have been quoted saying Love is a Day 2 guy, I just find that hard to believe based on the conversations and hype. But if he drops to #34, I assume Ballard will be all over it. I don't see him moving up, though...

I recently listened to a podcast where they said their sources are saying Love didn't impress in meetings. Not horrible, but not anything special either. I apologize I cannot seem to remember which podcast it was and what analyst said it(I listen to too many of them and can't keep track of all). But yeah... if that's true... maybe he drops? 

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

I guess one positive is everything I'm hearing from 49ers fans are that he was a great player from the start for them. They much preferred him over Arik Armstead. Still not a huge fan of giving up high 1st round picks for a 26 year old player though. 

For an All pro? Who just played in the Super Bowl? And 25? And under contract for 5 years? Yeah, that’s normally multiple pick territory usually multiple 1s.

im fine with what we gave up, I just wonder if now was the time. Unless there is something going on at QB we don’t know about. IE A Brady(barf) a Rivers(gag) or someone else. Heck, maybe they know Luck is coming back(highly highly unlikely)

Just now, shastamasta said:

I think Kinlaw and Buckner are in different leagues from a prospect level. Buckner was the best IDL player in NCAAF his senior season...AND he was raw. That draft class was loaded at the top as well.

Colts now get him entering his prime.

That class was loaded, and he went #7 overall. 

He's entering his prime, and I assume (hope?) he's hungry, coming off the SB loss. He's missed one game in four years, and that was as a rookie.  He's started every game he's played in. 

I'm sure the contract structure makes sense (and people expect the cap to jump $20-30m in 2021, then another big jump in 2022 because of the 17th game and the new TV deals) because Ballard and Bleum don't do poorly structured deals (so far). 

I have no problem with this trade, the player, or the contract. This is the kind of player you trade #13 for, IMO. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

For an All pro? Who just played in the Super Bowl? And 25? And under contract for 5 years? Yeah, that’s normally multiple pick territory usually multiple 1s.

im fine with what we gave up, I just wonder if now was the time. Unless there is something going on at QB we don’t know about. IE A Brady(barf) a Rivers(gag) or someone else. Heck, maybe they know Luck is coming back(highly highly unlikely)

He's 26 tomorrow, just FYI.

I would much rather have young but proven talent in Buckner than use the pick on a draftee like Derrick Brown or Javon Kinlaw. We were out of position for the top QBs anyway so I’m pleased with this. Will make the first night of the draft a little bit less worth the late night though...

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

They just gave Jones the non-exclusive tag. The conversation starts with two 1sts. They won't get that, but you're not getting him for less than one 1st.

I'm meh on Kinlaw, personally.

I have very high expectations for Buckner. If he isn't excellent for us for the next three years, this will prove to be a bad trade. But those expectations are based on how highly I regard Buckner, which goes back to before he was drafted. He's a stud, and there's no reason to expect him to fall off in Indy. If he meets expectations, he's the best interior linemen we've ever had.

It's probably more that I'm a little upset we are getting a 26 year old player with our 13th overall pick I guess. If he were 23, I would feel better. But if he plays in multiple pro-bowls for us and transforms this DL similarly to how Big Q transformed the OL, I'll be plenty happy. 

2 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

very true...though he has said he's not averse to big swings...just has to be the right time. 

Right, but three offseasons and he's mostly been a singles hitter in the offseason. He's done a great job, IMO, but no moonshots. Until now.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

That class was loaded, and he went #7 overall. 

He's entering his prime, and I assume (hope?) he's hungry, coming off the SB loss. He's missed one game in four years, and that was as a rookie.  He's started every game he's played in. 

I'm sure the contract structure makes sense (and people expect the cap to jump $20-30m in 2021, then another big jump in 2022 because of the 17th game and the new TV deals) because Ballard and Bleum don't do poorly structured deals (so far). 

I have no problem with this trade, the player, or the contract. This is the kind of player you trade #13 for, IMO. 

Yep...I was going to mention the durability and "hungry" aspects as well. It is definitely the type of player you would do a "sign and trade" for.

Not to mention those types of deals are en vogue (and the NFL is a copycat league). Just last season, SF and KC made those type of trades for DL players...both played in the Super Bowl. Coincidence...probably...but this is how contending orgs make moves.

11 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

Sure he's good. But spend a 1st rounder if you're not in a superbowl window?

2nd rounder would've done it. 

We have many talented young players on their 1st contract.
  We ARE in the SB window.
   CB has been waiting for this moment to spend for high quality positions of need.
  We need a dynamic front four. I hope he isn't done there.
   There is plenty of $$$ for at least one more important addition.
  IMO we are going to trade back from pick 34 for more picks.

7 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

It's probably more that I'm a little upset we are getting a 26 year old player with our 13th overall pick I guess. If he were 23, I would feel better. But if he plays in multiple pro-bowls for us and transforms this DL similarly to how Big Q transformed the OL, I'll be plenty happy. 

I get this point of view...however...he is now at his peak...and the Colts need impact talent like this...not a 23 year-old who might or might not get there for a couple years.

I’m happy. Buckner is an absolute beast, I think he’s better than Kinlaw and maybe even Brown, which were two forum favorites at 13. Not to mention that I wasn’t really wanting a QB this season, and believe next years class is better, with Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Newman and Mond all heading out as 1st rounders for me right now. I don’t see why people are upset

5 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I’m happy. Buckner is an absolute beast, I think he’s better than Kinlaw and maybe even Brown, which were two forum favorites at 13. Not to mention that I wasn’t really wanting a QB this season, and believe next years class is better, with Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Newman and Mond all heading out as 1st rounders for me right now. I don’t see why people are upset

Easier to say now...but I didn't even want Brown or Kinlaw...one was moving like an OL player and the other couldn't even work out because of knee issues. Moot point now....but Buckner is a Pro Bowl talent who has missed ONE game in his career (knock on wood).

21 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Just watch the play of the LB's now chitlins. 

:strong:

Sorry, but no.    We don’t play the defense where the DL try to slow the OL to allow the LB’s to run free and make plays.    That’s an entirely different defense.   That’s more typical of a 3-4 defense. 

We ask the DL to penetrate quickly and make plays and blow up the offense.  Completely different responsibilities. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry, but no.    We don’t play the defense where the DL try to slow the OL to allow the LB’s to run free and make plays.    That’s an entirely different defense.   That’s more typical of a 3-4 defense. 

We ask the DL to penetrate quickly and make plays and blow up the offense.  Completely different responsibilities. 

True, but assuming our DL gets better penetration, it will stretch plays to the sidelines, which is where our LBs can excel in clean-up duty.

19 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I guess one positive is everything I'm hearing from 49ers fans are that he was a great player from the start for them. They much preferred him over Arik Armstead. Still not a huge fan of giving up high 1st round picks for a 26 year old player though. 

Age 26 is fine.  Draft picks last 5 years before you have to spend a lot of money to resign.  This trade/sign gives us those 5 years.  

What comes after that is simply too far into the future.  Its not like a first round pick takes care of the position for 10 years.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

It changes the blocking rules and frees up a backer

Archived