Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trade for DT DeForest Buckner

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry, but no.    We don’t play the defense where the DL try to slow the OL to allow the LB’s to run free and make plays.    That’s an entirely different defense.   That’s more typical of a 3-4 defense. 

We ask the DL to penetrate quickly and make plays and blow up the offense.  Completely different responsibilities. 

Seriously? This will assist the entire back 7 big time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We just got a 25-year-old All-Pro at a crucial position on the defense.    

Colts don't spend... We're losers.. Colts spend... Spent on Wrong guy... Colts trade... Don't like the trade.   Can't win with our fanbase.. Lol  

Couple thoughts on this:   1. This clearly signals that Colts will sign Phillip Rivers and/or draft a QB at 34. 2. Buckner was named an All-Pro last year at DT. He's a great player and

Posted Images

Might be 100% wrong here. In fact, I probably am, but with AC signing on for two more years, and now this big move by Ballard, it sure feels like there could be a big QB announcement coming soon.

• Like 1

One big thing about this as well, we could’ve picked up a DT in the draft, but by doing this we have someone who is ready to rock day one. 

This was a big move.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Superman said:

That class was loaded, and he went #7 overall. 

He's entering his prime, and I assume (hope?) he's hungry, coming off the SB loss. He's missed one game in four years, and that was as a rookie.  He's started every game he's played in. 

I'm sure the contract structure makes sense (and people expect the cap to jump $20-30m in 2021, then another big jump in 2022 because of the 17th game and the new TV deals) because Ballard and Bleum don't do poorly structured deals (so far). 

I have no problem with this trade, the player, or the contract. This is the kind of player you trade #13 for, IMO. 

:colts:       Thanks for trying to restore sanity!     Loving this trade!!

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

If Chad was the future, he would've gotten his shot when Jacoby went down last season. They went with Hoyer over Chad. That speaks volumes. 

Doesn't mean they don't have plans for him.

10 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Seriously? This will assist the entire back 7 big time. 

Of course it will help!    Who says it wouldn’t help?    I’m just saying not in the way you described in your post.   If you want to re-phrase it — fine.

But we don’t ask our DL to clog up the Line Of Scrimmage.   We ask them to penetrate and blow things up.  We want our DL in the backfield, not at the line of scrimmage. 

• Confused 2

Absolutely love this trade. Also, this means Rivers is a lock. Drafting a DT at 13 is exactly what Ballard would have done and DTs take a few years to develop, time Rivers doesn’t have. Star DT power will help all the defensive players we’ve drafted over the last 2 years and the ability to see if Hooker is the player we hoped. We are officially in a 2 year win now window. If you don’t know much about Buckner just go to a 49er forum and see how upset they are about losing him. 

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Superman said:

True, but assuming our DL gets better penetration, it will stretch plays to the sidelines, which is where our LBs can excel in clean-up duty.

Yes...    of course...   I’m not saying this won’t help other players...   of course it will.   I’m only saying we don’t use our DL the way a 3-4 defense typically does.   That’s how I took what the poster implied....   

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, CamMo said:

just now seeing this...hmm. We shall see!

Yes we shall see.  The consensus is we are going to sign Rivers but let's not forget how Ballard has dealt with FA's in the past.  He draws his line in the sand on how far he will go and once that line is crossed he moves on.   It looks like he was more focused on Buckner than on a QB.  Still early but if Rivers was his main target it appears he might want more than Ballard is willing to go. Time will tell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of course it will help!    Who says it wouldn’t help?    I’m just saying not in the way you described in your post.   If you want to re-phrase it — fine.

But we don’t ask our DL to clog up the Line Of Scrimmage.   We ask them to penetrate and blow things up.  We want our DL in the backfield, not at the line of scrimmage. 

If I might chime in here.   The player that I believe it will be helped the most will be Houston.  Teams won't be able to dbl team him as much with the SERIOUS threat of Bucker getting to the QB .   

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Superman said:

True, but assuming our DL gets better penetration, it will stretch plays to the sidelines, which is where our LBs can excel in clean-up duty.

Also, if he requires a double team that leaves one less OLineman to get on a LB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
3 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

If I might chime in here.   The player that I believe it will be helped the most will be Houston.  Teams won't be able to dbl team him as much with the SERIOUS threat of Bucker getting to the QB .   

Thank you!    heckuva good post!   Appreciate it!     :thmup:

• Thanks 1

This makes our defense much better and will help Darious Leonard out a lot. He is the 2nd best DT in the league and is only 25. He was a #7 pick originally and is an all-pro. What is not to like? Ballard probably did not trust any of the rookie QB's coming out, I don't either.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don't know why...but I never really noticed that "Turay" and "Autry" were the exact same letters in a different order.

Anywho...the Colts are not done on the DL methinks.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
57 minutes ago, Superman said:

57 minutes ago, Superman said:

Some GMs have been quoted saying Love is a Day 2 guy, I just find that hard to believe based on the conversations and hype. But if he drops to #34, I assume Ballard will be all over it. I don't see him moving up, though...

With the 75th pick, The Indianapolis Colts pick James Morgan, QB, Florida International University.  https://www.packers.com/news/prospect-primer-qb-james-morgan

Hope we get a good Bridge QB for this year!

11 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

I think it would be great to get Rivers for 2 years 40 mil and wait until next year and draft a QB in 2021. We’re in win now mode 

I think they will get Rivers for something like that. 

41 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Texans got worse and Colts better

Let me add to that. Jacksonville is a fire sale again, and Titans lost Conklin. Out of the 4 teams in the south we are the only one's that got better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Age 26 is fine.  Draft picks last 5 years before you have to spend a lot of money to resign.  This trade/sign gives us those 5 years.  

What comes after that is simply too far into the future.  Its not like a first round pick takes care of the position for 10 years.

But when we had the chance to land Jeffery Simmons last year by simply moving up 6 spots or so, that’s where my complaint lies I guess. Because he is still so young and every bit as talented as Buckner. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, MTC said:

Confirms what I thought, none of these QB's coming out (that would be available to us) are better than what we have in the stable or we like FA better.  DT then is clearly our top need and we just filled it with a big time stud. I didn't see it coming and I think it's great.  I'm not big on Phillip Rivers but that seems to be the next big thing, not a fan of that move but I like the Buckner move a lot!

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

I think it would be great to get Rivers for 2 years 40 mil and wait until next year and draft a QB in 2021. We’re in win now mode 

Win now mode?? Going to take a QB and added skill positions to enter that mode. JB, old Ty, Slow Doyle is not win now mode. Much more needs to be done.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Could have gotten one of those guys for a 5th round pick. /s

That is quite the list of DL talent. But here's the real fun part...at the start of that timeframe...Donald was only one year younger than Buckner is now...and Cox was the same age.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MTC said:

Couple thoughts on this:

1. This clearly signals that Colts will sign Phillip Rivers and/or draft a QB at 34.

2. Buckner was named an All-Pro last year at DT. He's a great player and still relatively young at 25.

I like Buckner, but I don't think it says Clearly anything about the QB Situation especially at the 34th pick!

What it does say is I don't think we draft a DT early. And the defense got better. Autry & Buckner will look nice together. And we lost some cap space!

• Like 1

Ballard is following the KC model. Get the team built up before finding that QB. Now maybe he finds that Qb in Gordon or moves back into the first for Love. But when you have a very good team it’s so much easier for a young QB to come in and have success sooner.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Win now mode?? Going to take a QB and added skill positions to enter that mode. JB, old Ty, Slow Doyle is not win now mode. Much more needs to be done.

They just went all in on a DT...the offense is about to get some serious love.