Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trade for DT DeForest Buckner

MTC

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot tell you what a relief this is!  I always hoped the Colts would go DT or WR at 13.  I guess they felt a proven veteran all pro was a better deal.  Now I don't have to hear about overrated QBs like Jordan Love or Justin Herbert anymore. My hope now is the Colts get Nick Foles or Phillips Rivers, draft a WR at top of 2nd, and draft Jake Fromm or Anthony Gordon as a developmental QB.  But please no Jacoby Brissett!

Loving this trade!!

This is Irsay and Ballard saying we’re trying to find the quickest path to relevancy.    

As!  Soon!  As!  Possible!!!   

We likely sign a FA QB soon.   This addresses our two biggest needs in a snap.    

Not sure what more people could want and yet so many here are not happy!? 

:colts:          :thmup:

1 minute ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Easy to like with a proven commodity, you pretty much know what you get here with little downside. We needed d line help.

Yep, with currently three suspect 2nd Rd prospects on the D-line, it’s wise to trade for a known product. 

4 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I cannot tell you what a relief this is!  I always hoped the Colts would go DT or WR at 13.  I guess they felt a proven veteran all pro was a better deal.  Now I don't have to hear about overrated QBs like Jordan Love or Justin Herbert anymore. My hope now is the Colts get Nick Foles or Phillips Rivers, draft a WR at top of 2nd, and draft Jake Fromm or Anthony Gordon as a developmental QB.  But please no Jacoby Brissett!

I was afraid I wouldnt have enough likes left because of this trade to like your post!

1 minute ago, lennymoore24 said:

Dont be surprised if CB trades for more draft capital next year. Although we have FA money, we may not swing for the homerun just yet. I feel signing Buckner for 5 years solidifies the interior with an All Pro. Then with 2 second rounders, Maybe draft a WR but other than that, we may be defensive heavy in this draft. This takes into account the Colts not trading back into the 1st round for a QB...

Can’t be too upset about acquiring a young all pro DL.  

Would have liked a QB of the future in RD 1, but can’t be upset about the DL upgrade. 

Guessing they sign Rivers (for better or worse) and they will take a Wr in Rd 2 and maybe a QB if one happens to drop in their lap. 

9 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

Umm Fromm is a young version of brisket

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Loving this trade!!

This is Irsay and Ballard saying we’re trying to find the quickest path to relevancy.    

As!  Soon!  As!  Possible!!!   

We likely sign a FA QB soon.   This addresses our two biggest needs in a snap.    

Not sure what more people could want and yet so many here are not happy!? 

:colts:          :thmup:

I think we sign Rivers to a 2 yr deal now and draft a QB next season. With our O.Line, Rivers should play well being a Vet. I love this trade our defense just got much better. Buckner is the 2nd best DT in the league and was a #7 pick when he came out. He still has 5 great years left IMO (26-30 years old). I honestly did not trust any of the rookie QB's coming out anyway. I like the way Love looked on film but really wasn't 100% sold on him. I wasn't a fan of Herbert at all.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Also don’t forget about Jalen Hurts.

Be careful mentioning Jalen Hurts . Even though he has some of the best measurables in the draft, when I mentioned this I got bashed.

I will once again predict we either sign a FA like Rivers or Floes and keep JB as the backup, Or we are rolling with JB and giving him weapons, like a WR and a better RB.

1 hour ago, IinD said:

Colts don't spend... We're losers..

Colts spend... Spent on Wrong guy...

Colts trade... Don't like the trade.

Can't win with our fanbase.. Lol

I hate it because  we traded the 13th pick. If it had been the 34th or next years first I'd feel different.  Now if Buckner sucks Ballard  will be crucified  like grigson  for trading  a first  for trent Richardson. 

BTW, notice how tight lipped Colts' FO has been. This one came out of nowhere. There wasn't even a whiff of speculation about the Colts trying to trade for Buckner. Well done, Ballard... running a very tight operation it seems. 

I wouldn't be shocked if we signed a QB different from the ones that have been most linked to us already(Rivers, Foles)... Brady anyone? :P 

This is huge. For the last 20 years the Colts have been in a constant search for that dominant DT. The one year we had one.... we won the Super Bowl!

A tackle like this is so important to our defense.  Excluding QB's, if you made a list of players in the NFL that could have the most positive impact on the Colts over the next couple years Buckner would be very high on that list.  We traded the 13th pick (given, no small price) for almost the perfect player for this team. 

Again, dominant DT's are incredibly hard to find.  This defense just got a lot better!

30 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

DT was a pressing concern!

IMO, a disrupter on the inside was clearly the biggest need.  With Campbell coming back, I just didn't feel wr was a huge need myself.  

No dt in the draft comes close at 13.  Great move! 

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I hate it because  we traded the 13th pick. If it had been the 34th or next years first I'd feel different.  Now if Buckner sucks Ballard  will be crucified  like grigson  for trading  a first  for trent Richardson. 

He would certainly be open to valid criticism...maybe even moreso because he gave up #13 AND a monster contract. Grigs was at least (in theory) getting a great young RB on a cheap rookie deal for a future 1st round pick (that was likely going to be in the mid-late 20s).

But fortunately Buckner is a proven Pro Bowler with huge positional value (and a huge position of need)...so I don't see that happening. Players like that are just difficult to acquire...unlike RBs.

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

well..... I gonna guess the Niners weren't going to trade Buckner for the 34th. 

There is no one in this draft besides Chase Young or Burrows that is a better pick up than Buckner.   If he were in the draft this yr he would the #1 rated prospect.

Not sure how anyone can complain about this pick .  It is Ballard and staff once again outsmarting the rest of the league .  Colts will move to top 10ish on D with just this move.  More is coming on D . and we will be a top 5 D this yr

7 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Should just stick with Jacoby this year. Maybe this star studded Defense give him more possessions. 

IF that is the end game...then I might have to re-evaluate my stance a bit. Spending all that cap space and #13 on a stud DT is not an alternative to addressing QB (just ask SF who was a 4-win team with Buckner and without Jimmy G).

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW, notice how tight lipped Colts' FO has been. This one came out of nowhere. There wasn't even a whiff of speculation about the Colts trying to trade for Buckner. Well done, Ballard... running a very tight operation it seems. 

I wouldn't be shocked if we signed a QB different from the ones that have been most linked to us already(Rivers, Foles)... Brady anyone? :P 

Andy Dalton...

But yeah, him going off the board would be consistent. 

I'm still not as sparkled as some, but it eliminates bust potential. It was also a very, very un-Ballard like move which is getting no attention. 

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I'm not thrilled. Waiting  to see if buckner actually  makes a difference.  I was excited  for the Richardson  trade. Won't  be fooled twice

Richardson sucked in Cleveland and we had no oline nor did he have vision. Lots of red flags. Buckner is a top tier defensive lineman and was the captain on the Niners the past 2 years. He will excel here. 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

SF as well...I don't think many (in the media) even knew Buckner was available in a trade (I mean...he was a key piece on a team that just went to the Super Bowl).

There was a couple guys teasing a move like this on Twitter though...would have never guessed it was Buckner.

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

I wouldn't be shocked either.  I still think there is a chance the Raiders sweep in and get Brady.  If so Carr is available.  And if he goes to the Bucs then Bridgewater could be in play.  Starting to look like nothing happens until Brady decides. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I wouldn't be shocked either.  I still think there is a chance the Raiders sweep in and get Brady.  If so Carr is available.  And if he goes to the Bucs then Bridgewater could be in play.  Starting to look like nothing happens until Brady decides. 

I'd really be upset if Bridgewater is our answer at the QB position. I hated this trade to start out but I'm coming around to it. Damn good player let's hope he lives up to this contract and draft price

Archived